Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Anyone have any cabling advice? I'm getting VERY OCCASIONAL "hdcp not authorized" dropouts that last for a second since I hooked up my roku ultra. I have a couple amazon hdmi cables in the chain, my receiver (vsx1130), and the tv is a KS8000. Any better cables? Should I try shorter cables (I think they're both 6 feet)? Live with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It may be your receiver, honestly. Try running the roku straight to the TV and see if you still get the issues. HDCP is pretty hosed still unfortunately.

I can't seem to get 60hz out of the B6 from my Macbook Pro. I tried 3 different cables (including a way overpriced Cinnamon one), both Windows and macOS. It maxes out at 29hz. What gives?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ugh I was kind of worried that might be it. It had a firmware patch to get HDR support so I am worried it might be some early adopter bug poo poo. Oh well. Also the cheap amazon basics high speed ones seem like the best cables out of the various ones I have (some older ones I have can't pass 4K), maybe try those?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HDMI on Macs max out at HDMI 1.4 which is limited to 4k@30.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
e: I have no idea how I didn't see the answer already posted.

KS fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 30, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a mid-2015, which according to Apple can output 3840x2160 at 60hz, though not 4096x2160. So if it can't output it via the built-in HDMI port, do I get an adapter for the Thunderbolt port, or what?

I know the LG is 4096x2160 but I can live with a little letterboxing for Homeworld at 60hz.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To my knowledge, you need to use display port to HDMI adapter.

Edit: according to the link, I think you need a USBC adapter.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No USB-C or DisplayPort on the mid-2015, just Thunderbolt, though I think mini-DisplayPort adapters are compatible.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Sure looks like it's limited to 3840x2160 at 30 or 4096x2160 at 24 according to that link.

Displayport to HDMI 2.0 cables didn't exist forever but it appears there are a bunch on Amazon now:
https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQCUGW?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-HDMI-2-0a-Active-Adapter/dp/B01B6ZOMIS/ref=pd_cp_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1N9K7WHEHBC0N11ZQD8R

Your thunderbolt ports are mini displayports.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Although not via the built-in HDMI port, so it must be via the Thunderbolt port, yeah.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
My parents have tasked me with recommending a TV to them. I got the feeling that they'd like to stay around $1500 or so, but that's not necessarily a ceiling. I first suggested the Sony 810c a while back and told them to figure out if they wanted a 65" or a 55". That seemingly simple decision turned to a multi-month discussion without resolution, so I told them over Christmas that they should just compromise on a 60" and I'd find one for them. At the time I for some reason thought Vizio made a 60" P-series set, so I was leaning that way, but that TV of course does not exist. I also suggested the KS8000, but my mother had a horrible experience with like a Samsung refrigerator or something and has sworn them off forever. So here are my options as I see them:

1) Make them decide between a 55" or 65" and then go back to the Sony or Vizio;
2) Make my mom get over her Samsung-phobia; or
3) Wait and see what else comes along.

Going to their house and watching anything on a 37" TV is painful, so option 3 makes me sad, but I'm not really sure what else to suggest.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The B6P is likely to drop to around $1500 soon, if you don't mind waiting a bit and staying at 55".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Although not via the built-in HDMI port, so it must be via the Thunderbolt port, yeah.

Yeah, the section it is under is Single Stream Displays which is Displayport stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Luke Cage is now avaliable in HDR on Netflix. I was waiting for it before I actually started watching it.

Between Top Gear, The Man in the High Castle, and the Netflix Marvel shows, I'm glad I made the jump to UHD when I did.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
So I've had this horizontal line going across my TV for while:

http://i.imgur.com/uET3piI.jpg

TV is a Panasonic TC-60AS530U. Anyone know possible causes of this and if it's something I'd be able to fix?

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 2, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did anyone end up pulling the trigger on that 40inch Samsung 4k set? I wondered about getting it for an inexpensive "bedroom" TV, wondered how it turned out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LG is doing something called "Nano Cell" on their 2017 LCDs that's supposed to solve the issue of off-axis viewing. It will be interesting to see how well this works in practice.

quote:

Nano Cell LCD displays offer a technological advantage by employing uniformly-sized particles approximately one nanometer in diameter to create more subtle, accurate colors that can be viewed from wider angles than other LCD TVs. Ideal for large, high-resolution TVs, LG SUPER UHD TVs with Nano Cell technology deliver consistent colors at wider viewing angles with virtually no color difference for viewers seated directly in front of the screen, or for those watching from off-center angles.

Nano Cell technology achieves such impressive results by absorbing surplus light wavelengths, enhancing the purity of the colors displayed on the screen. These light absorbing capabilities allow LG's new LCD displays to filter distinct colors with much greater precision, rendering each color exactly as it was intended by the original content creator. For example, the color green on conventional TVs can blend with other color wavelengths – such as yellow or blue – causing the color to fade and take on yellowish or cyan hues. LG Nano Cell technology dramatically reduces instances of color fading, image instability and other color degradation issues. Nano Cell technology also reduces reflectivity to maintain high picture quality even in environments with ambient lighting.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lg-breaks-new-ground-with-2017-super-uhd-tv-lineup-featuring-nano-cell-technology-300384407.html

At any rate, it's nice to see some improvements in LCD tech after so many years of stagnation with the only improvement being more LED backlight zones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Probably still using 1000:1 ips panels though.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I have an old Sony KDL XBR8 that has served me well for the past six-plus years, but last week I started occasionally, then more frequently, getting these blue vertical lines on the screen. Happens on every input, but never on the menus. Based one what I've found online, it looks like this was a somewhat frequent issue with this model, and most point to a bad FBU board (whatever the hell that is) as the culprit. Replacement boards seem hard to come by and can be a couple hundred anyway, so unless anybody else that has had the same issue and has a cheaper or easier ix suggestion, I guess that is that.

It was a great set, my first HDTV :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kingtheninja posted:

Did anyone end up pulling the trigger on that 40inch Samsung 4k set? I wondered about getting it for an inexpensive "bedroom" TV, wondered how it turned out.

I picked up the 6290 that was on super sale for my office but haven't had much time to use it. :(

EDIT: The reason was that I've got a newborn. She was super fussy last night and just wanted to be held, so I held her and played some Xbox/watched TV on the tv last night, it looks great for the price. Way better than the 2-3 year old black friday special I was running, but obviously nowhere near as good as the KS8000 that's sitting in the living room.

Still, for a $300 tv it looks pretty darn good.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 3, 2017

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
A few weeks later and I am still being pleasantly surprised every time I watch something on my LG C6P. Just finished The Revenant UHD and have been watching Mr. Robot for the first time. The image quality and contrast is just so fantastic that I feel there's nothing to catch the eye when watching something - you just get sucked in. I've gone through many iterations of my little home theater and for the first time I feel like, barring some crazy hologram tech, I can just stick with this set for a long time. I've actually gotten some good usage out of the 3D mode on the C6P as well. It's a one-button process and usually does a great job of converting almost anything I am watching into a 3D image with proper depth. Occasionally a little box or fixture on a wall will pop out at the wrong depth but it doesn't happen very often. My older Sharp Aquos Q+ requires some menu jumping to get 3D started and the conversions always look awful. As others have been saying, more than worth the money and I do not think you could regret anything except lower OLED pricing a year from now if you purchased one of these today.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 3, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

See I'm looking forward to bluray copies of Mr Robot because I found the OLED showed up the flaws of all the broadcast and web versions something rotten.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Finally watching some UHD discs today. Mad Max makes me feel like the 65" screen isn't big enough (I upgraded from a 52).

Detail is somewhat better but anything with lighting (esp light shafts, the sun, fire and sparks) looks ridiculous. Also they clearly improved the soundtrack, which you wouldn't think possible but I definitely like the new atmos mix.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

See I'm looking forward to bluray copies of Mr Robot because I found the OLED showed up the flaws of all the broadcast and web versions something rotten.

I would probably re-watch just for that when they are available. The way that show uses light is really something else...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, there's no place for flaws to hide with the TV. Blu-rays in general look so much better.

quote:

Detail is somewhat better but anything with lighting (esp light shafts, the sun, fire and sparks) looks ridiculous. Also they clearly improved the soundtrack, which you wouldn't think possible but I definitely like the new atmos mix.

Fury Road is only a 2k master, so it makes sense there's not a ton more detail.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I think the only filmed in 4K disc I have is The Revenant, if I've read correctly. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Also Pacific Rim looks great in HDR with all its holograms and particle effects, and it also has a new soundtrack. My wife even mentioned you could see how low res some of the monster skin texture is tho (I felt like this was already a problem with the blu ray)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Part of the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade my display is my concern over how my DVD collection will look on anything current. I kind of wish standard def DVD never happened and they just had blu-ray or equivalent as the first generation video format after VHS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The vast majority of my DVD collection went to Vudu/Ultraviolet. DVDs can be converted to HD for $5 and as long as you do them in batches of more than 10, they give you a 50% discount. So, at $2.50 per movie, it was worthwhile for the upgrade to HD and portability.

There are a few that aren't available for conversion and those I can decide to re-buy or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SD content is obviously not going to look as good as anything fed to it in native res, but DVDs still have a decent amount of bitrate to them so it's not the worst experience ever.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah actually as long as the DVD is reasonably well made it should look fine. One of my wife's favorite movies is Little Women and they've never put out anything past a DVD release that has both the full screen and widescreen on it, so you know they didn't put a lot into the video bitrate and it looks alright (we just watched it over Christmas as she considers it at least in part a Christmas movie).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, DVD bitrate is usually above what passes for 'HD' with cable operators today. So, or may not have a ton of detail, but it's doesn't look terrible upscaled.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Number_6 posted:

Part of the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade my display is my concern over how my DVD collection will look on anything current. I kind of wish standard def DVD never happened and they just had blu-ray or equivalent as the first generation video format after VHS.

Depending how far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go, you can also use a higher quality upscaler than any hardware available with tools like MadVR.

My new 4K TV (Vizio M) is absolute horseshit at upscaling, so for SD content I've gone and finally configured this and stuff looks amazing. I'm pretty impressed how good using 60-70% of a full fat Intel x86 core to upscale video looks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LG's new W series has to be wall mounted because it's only 2.6mm thick.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/lg-w-series-oled-4k/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

:captainpop:

I'm not sure if I like the idea of being tied to their provided soundbar or not. I guess it depends on if the soundbar is good enough. Would certainly make connecting inputs easier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not stopping you from using an AVR, so I don't see it being an issue. You could bury it in a cabinet if you weren't going to use the speakers in it.

I wonder what crazy price tag is going to be attached to it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dogen posted:

Yeah I think the only filmed in 4K disc I have is The Revenant, if I've read correctly. Hopefully there will be more to come.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

The rest of the 2017 lineup thankfully makes me not regret getting OLED when I did for the price I got. I can definitely live without the very incremental improvements while also keeping the curve (which my fiance likes) and 3D.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HDMI 2.1

http://www.techhive.com/article/3153629/smart-tv/new-hdmi-21-spec-includes-support-for-dynamic-hdr-8k-resolution-and-more.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, they gives a bit solid 'meh' from me. Nothing that HDMI 2.1 provides will likely be used by any commercial product in the next 5 years or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I could see 4k 120hz computer monitors showing up in a year or two. I don't see video cards pushing 4k at 120 fps anytime soon though unless it's old old games.