Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
All Japanese girl names end with 子 and all western girl names end with a, you heard it here first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
As a certified Anime Pro, let me tell you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The only character named after a fetish I want to hear about is famed Bollywood actor Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao Jr.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/816373001142829057

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Midjack posted:

For what it's worth I think that was breading on her skin and not fourth degree burns but it was still kind of a gross picture to end the game on.

Just watched her ending, you guys are making it sound way worse than it is.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Can I write them for a free Vita since people have decided to give them away rather than put them on discount

I mean it's the least he can do after lying to me about MGS5 FOBs

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I say offer :10bux: plus shipping as a reply to the tweet.

The only time I gave away a Vita was as a present for one of my younger relatives.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2017

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I don't see why you would mail off your vita for free when they're still going for $200 on ebay, but I wouldn't mind getting one dirt cheap :D

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Liver Disaster posted:

I don't see why you would mail off your vita for free when they're still going for $200 on ebay, but I wouldn't mind getting one dirt cheap :D
Yeah that's basically what I'm seeing, they never hit rock bottom at all, rather just vanished entirely to the secondary market

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

Just watched her ending, you guys are making it sound way worse than it is.

Look I have a vivid imagination okay.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Yeah that's basically what I'm seeing, they never hit rock bottom at all, rather just vanished entirely to the secondary market

The guy saying Vita restocks were cancelled in April seems to have been right then Henkaku wiped out remaining stock.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

lol

you are definitely the person qualified to discuss japanese naming

Educate me, endorph.

Truga posted:

All Japanese girl names end with 子 and all western girl names end with a, you heard it here first

Oh god stop being an insufferable poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Educate me, endorph.
ko (子) is a common way for japanese female names to end, but it isn't the only way, and there are thousand of female names that use one of the other common characters, like mi (美) or no real specific characters in that wheelhouse at all. Off the top of my head, Aya's a reasonably common given name that doesn't have a ko, a mi, a ka, a na, or anything. It's just a name.

Heck, here's the top 10 most common given names for girls in Japan:

1: Sakura
2: Riko
3: Aoi
4: Wakana
5: Sakura again, but with a different spelling in Japanese
6: Rin
7: Anna
8: Hinata
9: Yuna
10: Kaede

'ko' only pops up once

Ko is just a character in the japanese language that's fairly common in girls' names, not some law of the land. It'd be like saying every british girl's name ends in 'beth.' That guy isn't being an insufferable poo poo, he's basically right.

Heck, there are even guy names that end in 'ko,' like Takehiko. Admittedly not the same character in japanese, but they're pronounced the same way.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So what you're telling me is Konami is the girliest game company.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Educate me, endorph.

Oh god stop being an insufferable poo poo

lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

ko (子) is a common way for japanese female names to end, but it isn't the only way, and there are thousand of female names that use one of the other common characters, like mi (美) or no real specific characters in that wheelhouse at all. Off the top of my head, Aya's a reasonably common given name that doesn't have a ko, a mi, a ka, a na, or anything. It's just a name.

Ko is just a character in the japanese language that's fairly common in girls' names, not some law of the land. It'd be like saying every british girl's name ends in 'beth.' That guy isn't being an insufferable poo poo, he's basically right.

Heck, there are even guy names that end in 'ko,' like Takehiko. Admittedly not the same character in japanese, but they're pronounced the same way.

Thanks. Back in college I took Japanese for a year and the professor was an older lady and made jabs about how all the lady TA's had "young people" names without the ko, hence why I thought it was traditional.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Well they did pretty much invent dating sims

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

What's funny, Szurumbur?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The non restocking of Vita models had me looking for it on Amazon and they had some Japanese imports available. Will there be any problems if I live in America, regarding the Japanese import? The Glacier White version looks so good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
X and O are switched in certain menus but otherwise can be set to English and work without trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Thanks. Back in college I took Japanese for a year and the professor was an older lady and made jabs about how all the lady TA's had "young people" names without the ko, hence why I thought it was traditional.
Oh, I think you misunderstood your TA. 'Ko' names were very very common a few decades ago (though still not the law of the land or anything,) but they've been phased out somewhat. Not completely erased or anything, but not nearly as common as they once were, and a lot of them do kind of have an 'old woman' feel to them. Basically, your TA was just being kind of a stick in the mud, not actually commenting on some grave offense to tradition.

'Ko' is a kind of bland, very mildly demeaning way to indicate a name is girly, since it literally just means 'child,' so people have shifted more towards things like flower names. The alternate endings for female names I mentioned in my post tend to mean stuff like 'beautiful' or 'elegant,' stuff that's a little more complimentary and specific.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Phantasium posted:

Yes, and only because Namco misspelled their own name

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

Heck, here's the top 10 most common given names for girls in Japan:

1: Sakura
2: Riko
3: Aoi
4: Wakana
5: Sakura again, but with a different spelling in Japanese
6: Rin
7: Anna
8: Hinata
9: Yuna
10: Kaede

'ko' only pops up once

That list kind of is surprising to me. Are any of those (I'm looking at Anna and Rin specifically) written almost always in kana?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Anna can have a couple different valid kanji names, though I guess the most common would be something like 杏奈? Rin is 凛.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

Anna... 杏奈?
Yeah, that's what the list has it as.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Huh, interesting. Is Anna meant to be the western name or is it a Japanese name that coincidentally happens to look identical to an English one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The list is from 2014-2015, so it's probably Frozen. Frozen was huge business in Japan.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But how many Katnisses and Bellas do they have

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

But how many Katnisses and Bellas do they have
bella would be a very unlikely name for a japanese person to have for a number of reasons

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the popularity is likely frozen, though it was a fairly common name earlier too. Probably pre-dates western influence, but who knows. Also, reads as an-na, as opposed to the western a-na (or the english ann/anne), where you just kinda don't pronounce the second n in most languages. In fact Anna from frozen is アナ not アンナ :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TV Zombie posted:

The non restocking of Vita models had me looking for it on Amazon and they had some Japanese imports available. Will there be any problems if I live in America, regarding the Japanese import? The Glacier White version looks so good.

I'd kind of like to know about this too. I feel like getting one of those weird Japanese LE ones just for kicks and those SaGa SCARLET GRACE ones look very pretty, and the base red one is a cool $350 CAD but I'd feel pretty silly if I wandered into some obvious blunder, especially since my faithful pre-launch bundle Vita is still strong. It's a strong Vita.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

mycot posted:

Huh, interesting. Is Anna meant to be the western name or is it a Japanese name that coincidentally happens to look identical to an English one?

The popularity probably has something to do with Frozen but also it's common nowdays to give kids names that easily scan in the west in case they ever want to travel/study/move abroad/just be "global", so there's a lot more kids named Anna, Maria/Mariya, Marina, Sara, Erika, Karen, Lisa (Risa), not as many for guys but you got Ken, Joe (Jou), Leo (Reo), Dan etc. etc. ...people come up with wackier ones but those are fairly normal. Some of them are just regular names that happen to sound western, some of them are just western names you can write in kanji/kana easily. e: I think Anna maybe got popular at the crossroads of "sounding global" and more "-na" names becoming popular in the last.. 15-20 yrs?

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 5, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

e: I think Anna maybe got popular at the crossroads of "sounding global" and more "-na" names becoming popular in the last.. 15-20 yrs?

https://youtu.be/kgrnIBlxZCk

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

bloodychill posted:

What's funny, Szurumbur?

Your reaction to being made fun of for your quite a stupid post was funny to me.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Good Shiren poo poo

1. Try to put any Weapon/Shield you get to level 8 in the tanuki pot with no effects on it (either level it without giving it any or just give them up)
Weapons/Shields from the Pot cannot grow so putting them in at a low level = Wasting the weapon/shield

A Beast Sword at * rank(Beastmaster) + the Effect granted from the pot (weapon max +3 for example is great) means you'll find Free beastmasters ready for priming randomly in the wild. this will help you in those long dungeons you start with no items you have a chance to get one of your pot.

If you get a Wish Item. Do not put it in the pot UNTIL it is * Rank.

2. for the deep dungeons. Being cursed is not so bad. Cursed status on your weapons/shields/bracelets just means you cant take them off. Their effect is not reduced in any way. dont waste your blessing/exorcism on those

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 5, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atelier Shallie physical preorders were charged this week.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How's the Muramasa DLC, playing Odin Sphere made me remember how much I liked the vita version of that game but never tried the dlc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zaggitz posted:

How's the Muramasa DLC, playing Odin Sphere made me remember how much I liked the vita version of that game but never tried the dlc

I've heard it's better than the base game

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you heard right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Anybody have Darkest Dungeons on vita? I know the control scheme's still not largely touchscreen as it should be, but it looks like they been updating it a lot. Is it tolerable now?