Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you were a kid and read about Jeffrey Dahmer's final seconds you might be like welp he got justice through being thrown heavily on a concrete floor.

If you read about Gacy's final times you'd be like, oh heck what happened to that last poor kid that guards allowed? He was fighting the system to not die but also being allowed access to a teenage boy because he apparently ran the place.

I guess I'd just say make sure they're heavily guarded by kind and serious police. Don't beat them, don't let them get raped just make sure they get square meals and no opportunity to go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you read about the victims of the criminal justice system who lived through decades of unjust inprisonment oh well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

syscall girl posted:

I think I have a better argument.

The murderer* gets put away from society for the rest of his or her life. In a nice little cottage patrolled by nice police guard types until they die of natural causes like not getting a PS4.

Then we all mock them.

*assuming murder is totally real

e: we don't kill because we're better, we as a society just prevent those who are obviously murderous from hurting others

we can totally look down on them though

nah I get this and I'm against it normally like I said but I do think there's a very small segment of cases where the perpetrator doesn't deserve the resources

and I do think that even in those cases they deserve their rights like the appeals process etc etc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
page 404: justice not found

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Roof shouldn't be executed for murder, he should be executed for being a fascist.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm old enough that I remember when public buildings still had fallout shelter signs on them, and had a friendly janitor give my friends and me a tour of the largely forgotten civil defense bunker under my high school.

I grew up in East Germany and we did nuke drills into the school's basement up until the late 80's. It wasn't very often, but still regularly.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im tempted to say force roof to go to a service at the church he shot up every sunday but that would probably be super hard on the congregation.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to derail this thrilling tangent about the 2nd amendment, but why does Baloogan's rap sheet make it appear he has been giving himself probations for a while now?

He's a drunk moron

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no one else will probate me :/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baloogan posted:

I appreciate your dedication. :salute:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

turn me into an ik and ill probate you plus all other canadian scum

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up in East Germany and we did nuke drills into the school's basement up until the late 80's. It wasn't very often, but still regularly.

I feel bad for you guys only the Russians were gonna nuke me

y'all were gonna catch all the nukes

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
though I live near one of the longest runways in the US so the nukes I was gonna catch were the best and brightest Ivan had to offer

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VikingSkull posted:

I feel bad for you guys only the Russians were gonna nuke me

y'all were gonna catch all the nukes

It's better that way. You don't want to just be winged by a nuke, where you're in the zone that will survive the initial blast but die within a few weeks of agonizing radiation poisoning as your family dies all around you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah I'm gonna go out on my front porch and toast it like Leo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

though I live near one of the longest runways in the US so the nukes I was gonna catch were the best and brightest Ivan had to offer

Yeah, my town sits right on Interstate 5 and has a significant railyard for West coast train traffic - we were gonna get a few here, too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

yeah I'm gonna go out on my front porch and toast it like Leo

I will prefer to do it like Rogue One

with a nice brave person beside me, fulfilled in our brave stupid mission to fakely do idk but we believed in it, watching a sunrise that isn't a sunrise over a nice ocean that also isn't there because it's CGI

but it will be a nice sunrise sunset and make us both dead before we know what hits us

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a fun video to watch before you go to bed

oh hey is that a shooting sta-aaaAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH MY EYES

*catches fire, disintegrates in the blastwave*

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do the youngsters today spend much time contemplating the best way to die in a nuclear war? Or is that just a cold war kids thing?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Probably just a Cold War kids thing. I was born right when Reagan took office and was getting ready for high school when Clinton was coming in, so the failed Russian coup was one of the first things, along with Desert Storm, that I saw happen live and basically understood. 89-92 or so was pretty terrifying because the Warsaw Pact collapsed, China almost (well not really) imploded and then the news was talking about how we were gonna fight the 4th largest army and they had chemical weapons and all that. It's probably about the time I got interested in military history

but at least we had a sense of humor then

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is a weird derail, not that I mind, but there's a ton of fun stuff in the Airpower/Cold War thread in TFR if anyone is interested. don't be scared TFR is generally chill and that thread is filled with knowledgeable people that will answer any questions you might have

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do the youngsters today spend much time contemplating the best way to die in a nuclear war? Or is that just a cold war kids thing?

Iunno many boomers but contemplating any way to die fast and look cool doing it is timeless.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

syscall girl posted:

I guess I'd just say make sure they're heavily guarded by kind and serious police. Don't beat them, don't let them get raped just make sure they get square meals and no opportunity to go elsewhere.

I'm not really an advocate for psychological torture though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm not really an advocate for psychological torture though.

It kind of is though but if you look at punishment to be somehow satisfying, welp you sure showed them.

I just find it a little off-putting when the execution goes through.

The semi-casual dismissal of another person's entire existence with no way to oops our mistake, all better sorry got the wrong guy uh *puts hands in pockets and whistles*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zKCIf-vfbc

I'd really advocate for a very quick very messy end to a properly convicted monster if the state keeps doing that sort of thing that left everyone who saw it with a bitter taste, rather than a clean(ish) death in a sterile room.

Do that Ned Stark poo poo where he who makes the sentence swings the sword

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean that was my point, though, Roof is a monster and admits it, he's 100% legally sane and the government doesn't have the wrong guy

in his case, I'm in favor of it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

syscall girl posted:

Do that Ned Stark poo poo where he who makes the sentence swings the sword

:agreed:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Have the position of executioner be randomly assigned to a citizen for each go, just like jury duty.
That way everyone can do their part.

TotalLossBrain has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Jan 4, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

nah I get this and I'm against it normally like I said but I do think there's a very small segment of cases where the perpetrator doesn't deserve the resources

and I do think that even in those cases they deserve their rights like the appeals process etc etc

this line of thinking is exactly why the death penalty is bad. "I oppose X, except in particular cases that trigger an emotional reaction in me" is basically exactly how bad justice happens

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

this line of thinking is exactly why the death penalty is bad. "I oppose X, except in particular cases that trigger an emotional reaction in me" is basically exactly how bad justice happens

it's not an emotional thing for me though, I think prison would be better suited for rehabilitation rather than punishment but some people are beyond rehabilitation

that being said, I totally understand why people are against it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

TotalLossBrain posted:

Have the position of executioner be randomly assigned to a citizen for each go, just like jury duty.
That way everyone can do their part.

Service should guarantee citizenship.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

it's not an emotional thing for me though, I think prison would be better suited for rehabilitation rather than punishment but some people are beyond rehabilitation

imo no one is really beyond rehabilitation, and it's fundamentally wrong to say we can rule it out in advance like that

that's just something we tell ourselves because it's easier to say that some people are just inherently and irreparably bad than to admit that a sane and lucid person can do these sorts of things

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I volunteer as tribute. I'm a terrible, hosed up person already. Have me throw the switch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if you have to execute people make it public and mandatory and use a guillotine

:nms: i guess but you don't see much and the thumbnail isn't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJpw8isyCg

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If I wanted to reform the justice system, rehabilitative rather punitive would be the goal. Also no more then 10 year sentences. Anything longer and I say just do the death penalty and be done with it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

After years of being somewhat on the fence about capital punishment I came to the conclusion that it is not healthy for American culture and the moratorium from the 1970s should have been permanent. One of the few other First World countries that has the death penalty and it makes some sort of societal sense is Japan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they don't tell anyone when prisoners are being executed in japan until the day it happens

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
do they at least give the condemned the option of seppuku?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

But exactly what benefit do we get out of killing them? If rehabilitation is useless, why do we have to shift immediately to death? Why is the option to simply leave them in prison until they die not an option on the table?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

But exactly what benefit do we get out of killing them? If rehabilitation is useless, why do we have to shift immediately to death? Why is the option to simply leave them in prison until they die not an option on the table?

because it costs money and feeds the privatized prison system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I say because involuntary imprisonment for life is cruel for sentient beings.

What purpose does it serve?