Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

RIP Castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
hahaha sean making an autoerotic asphyxiation joke during the howl ad is beautiful

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I saw Jimmy Pardo at Barnes and Noble today with his wife and kid. I didn't want to bother him but it was just weird to see out of a comedy context.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should have wondered out loud which Chicago album to get. He may have come to you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I saw Jimmy Pardo at Barnes and Noble today with his wife and kid. I didn't want to bother him but it was just weird to see out of a comedy context.

I bet he was making some snarky comment about the magazine section. I don't think the man can be out of a comedy context.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hoped you kept your favorite Earwolf episodes downloaded, because they've just made everything past 6mo is now behind a 35 buck a month pay wall!

quote:

Hey Everyone. I'm sad to say, as part of an Earwolf mandate we have archived our back catalogue which will be completely AD FREE on #HowlFm - You will still be able to listen to the most current 6 months of the podcast for free as normal forever. Now a word about #HowlFM. I love Howl regardless of this change. There are so many great original shows, comedy albums and specials. For less than $35/yr ($2.91 a month). Plus you get so many archived back catalogs from shows like WTF to CBB. I know change like this is irritating. We love our listeners and are sorry if this upsets you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hollywood Handbook still seems to be available.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Hoped you kept your favorite Earwolf episodes downloaded, because they've just made everything past 6mo is now behind a 35 buck a month pay wall!

$35/year not month!
Still, I think iTunes still has a "Save Episode" option that still works.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Ape of Naples posted:

$35/year not month!
Still, I think iTunes still has a "Save Episode" option that still works.

They wiped their backlog, even on iTunes (unless I'm clicking wrong, I never use iTunes).

It's still bullshit, even if it's 35 a year. I wish they could've warned us, I've kinda cooled on HDTGM of late, but I would've pulled down a few episodes before it happened. Is it now :files: to talk about mirror sites?

E: vvv well poo poo. Guess I missed those episodes. Does Howl let you download episodes? Maybe I'll sign up, pull down the episodes I want, and cancel.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 4, 2017

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I wish they could've warned us
They actually did a year ago and never got around to it til now.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I checked a few on the Earwolf site and CBB/HDTGM/Who Charted/I Was There Too/Sklarbro Country all seem to be behind the 6 month paywall thing

Also Reality Show Show/Andy Daly's Podcast Pilot Project are both gone from soundcloud so maybe howl is the only way to listen to those now

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...this is very sad.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They warned us for over a year.

Should've finished Reality Show Show tho.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

They wiped their backlog, even on iTunes (unless I'm clicking wrong, I never use iTunes).

It's still bullshit, even if it's 35 a year. I wish they could've warned us, I've kinda cooled on HDTGM of late, but I would've pulled down a few episodes before it happened. Is it now :files: to talk about mirror sites?

E: vvv well poo poo. Guess I missed those episodes. Does Howl let you download episodes? Maybe I'll sign up, pull down the episodes I want, and cancel.

Huh. I just meant podcasts that were already downloaded I guess.

I wonder if youtube still has some stuff.

I knew it was coming so I did make sure to download and save some podcasts. At least they gave us a heads up for a few months.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I pay for Howl and I am still upset.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How will I ever hear my Earwolf favorites now that they're behind Howl's :ssh: super secure :ssh: paywall

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I assumed they were just gonna let it drop since it's extremely embarrassing to let everyone forget about the paywall and then suddenly put it up. And it's clear no one is very excited about it. You're just ripping off the bandaid every eight months.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think this is probably the list (from a forum post they made about it 7 months ago)

Shortwave with Grant Lee Phillips
Rafflecast
The reality SHOW show
Owen & TJ Read The News
Mike Detective
Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project
The Wolf Den
Love, Dad
Professor Blastoff
Who Charted?
The Earwolf Challenge
U Talkin’ U2 To Me? (will not be depublished in iTunes, but will be ad free for Howl Premium members)
Comedy Bang Bang
I Was There Too
How Did This Get Made
Cracked
The Canon
Nerd Poker

I don't use itunes so idk but with the old podcasts like RSS/Professor Blastoff/Mike Detective etc I guess it means they're basically Howl exclusive now

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
goddammit how am i going to listen to all my favorite episodes of whatever the gently caress Shortwave with Grant Lee Phillips is now??

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I have had all the episodes of Reality Show Show downloaded on my phone for a year preparing for this day

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JethroMcB posted:

How will I ever hear my Earwolf favorites now that they're behind Howl's :ssh: super secure :ssh: paywall

Yeah someone in the CBB thread the other week said it's patched, but it still worked for me when I tested it. I don't think theres anything I need from the archives personally, but I'm guessing subbing to howl won't make it possible to get them back in the Apple podcasts app, which sucks.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

MisterBibs posted:

Who wrote that paragraph?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll listen to old CBB and I4H eps to to to sleep. Now I'll have to do this in the Howl app. It is far less convenient.

e: Ha! Full archives of ADPPP and Mike Detective just popped up on my feed.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 4, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Did they take all the ads out of the old episodse like they said they would? I liked the HH/spont ads.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah someone in the CBB thread the other week said it's patched, but it still worked for me when I tested it. I don't think theres anything I need from the archives personally, but I'm guessing subbing to howl won't make it possible to get them back in the Apple podcasts app, which sucks.

I said it still works for most. I just couldn't get the Boston Strangler one to do that.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Honestly, I'll be happy when they get rid of the ads from Affirmation Nation and I can blast through them all. Having 2 minutes of content prefaced with 30 seconds of legal zoom ads from Jeff Ulrich isn't ideal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
35 dollars for the year is super low, yet it still feels like a ripoff. I mean Seeso is 4 dollars a month. I know I know we're cheap pieces of poo poo but like, a dollar a month feels right!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does the howl app not suck when you use it on a phone? because it was borderline unusable when I tried it this summer during the CBB live tour on a browser.

There's no internal directory. There's no internal search. You either see the thing you want suggested on the front or you step outside and google it in increasingly more specific boolean language until you get a direct result.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

35 dollars for the year is super low, yet it still feels like a ripoff. I mean Seeso is 4 dollars a month. I know I know we're cheap pieces of poo poo but like, a dollar a month feels right!

I forgot all about Seeso. Is it still a thing?
E:Shampoolder doesn't seem to like the pay wall.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Who wrote that paragraph?

Paul or an intern, since it was on the HDTGM Facebook page.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

soggybagel posted:

It's a weird thing because I probably spend more time listening to podcasts than I watch TV/movies and I think the only money I've ever spent on them in like 7 years was buying a couple seasons of Never Not Funny

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

E:Shampoolder doesn't seem to like the pay wall.

Seeso is fine because it integrates under my Amazon fire stick, so it's just a few more bucks to watch Bajillion and Hatmanquest without dealing with a crappy app.

Howl, do this thing please.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a weird thing because I probably spend more time listening to podcasts than I watch TV/movies and I think the only money I've ever spent on them in like 7 years was buying a couple seasons of Never Not Funny

People have been paying for tv for decades, but almost nobody pays for radio. Charging for on demand radio makes a bit more sense, but it still feels weird to a lot of people given that it's not an expense they're accustomed to and there are still tons of free podcasts out there. Beyond all of that, I'm not paying on principle because they want to lock people in to their stupid app. It's basically a dumb DRM model.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Does the howl app not suck when you use it on a phone? because it was borderline unusable when I tried it this summer during the CBB live tour on a browser.

There's no internal directory. There's no internal search. You either see the thing you want suggested on the front or you step outside and google it in increasingly more specific boolean language until you get a direct result.

Nah, it's still pretty terrible. A bit better than at launch but not by much.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, it's still pretty terrible. A bit better than at launch but not by much.

By no means do I think Seeso is awesome or anything. But you do at least get archive access to Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, and SNL. And they're actually making new poo poo too.

It just feels weird to pay for podcasts.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sinteres posted:

People have been paying for tv for decades, but almost nobody pays for radio.
This was true a decade ago, before terrestrial radio died and satellite radio existed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

This was true a decade ago, before terrestrial radio died and satellite radio existed.

The only people I know who pay for satellite radio are senior citizens.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GoutPatrol posted:

I said it still works for most. I just couldn't get the Boston Strangler one to do that.

Ah I get you, you only mentioned the Boston one so I presumed it was overall a no go for you. Interesting they didn't patch the archives. It's such a half rear end operation and that's the main problem.

The monthly fee is nothing, but when half the planet have multiple things that are 'only' between $4-10 a month on top of cellphones, cable etc you kinda lose interest as there's already plenty of stuff to do and watch. If it was a case of pay a $20 donation for a lifetime access thing I'd barely use, id probably be more likely to for it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

They are giving the McElroy brothers a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

The only people I know who pay for satellite radio are senior citizens.

Anyone who spends more than an hour or two in a car per day also probably finds it a godsend. My dad drives to a ton of different sites for his job, having uninterrupted radio feeds all day for him is super cool.

Any torrents up yet for old Earwolf podcasts? Since they were free forever + a year beyond when they said they were putting them beyond a paywall, I can't see this being a problem.