Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

I did the exact same thing. tetris puzzles hosed my head up so i ended up in the tree house with the suns and now im fuckin stuck again on the last puzzle on the little bridge that unfolds with every puzzle u complete. this game makes me feel retarded

The treehouses are easily the roughest area apart from the final zone. Good luck gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
considering replaying all the drod games, and doing all the challenges added to the new steam versions

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Plebian Parasite posted:

The treehouses are easily the roughest area apart from the final zone. Good luck gamer.

no the town is more bullshit than the treehouses. so is the tetris marsh. ive only done like 6 tree house puzzles though so maybe it gets retarded. i hate solving 5 puzzles in a row easily and then getting hopelessly stuck on the next one. and then when i finish it after hours and hours, i pwn the next 3 or 4, which are techinically harder, in minutes. ugh. i love the game though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ralp posted:

Queen's Rooms 6. This must be the toughest Alcazar puzzle in the game, it's the only one I can't solve.

I think I just continuously fail to find the right (any) region with only one light/dark exit.

i didnt play this since it was brand new and they added 3 or 4 books since then so i been playing it a little more and man its always impressive how this is the best feeling mobile game ever

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

considering replaying all the drod games, and doing all the challenges added to the new steam versions

farewell forever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

farewell forever

thankfully, they didnt add challenges to the smitemaster selections

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

rediscover posted:

no the town is more bullshit than the treehouses. so is the tetris marsh. ive only done like 6 tree house puzzles though so maybe it gets retarded. i hate solving 5 puzzles in a row easily and then getting hopelessly stuck on the next one. and then when i finish it after hours and hours, i pwn the next 3 or 4, which are techinically harder, in minutes. ugh. i love the game though

the town is just a combination of all the different puzzles from other parts of the island. go back to it after you learned all the rules for solving puzzles. in general if you cant figure out the logic behind something, just go explore somewhere else and eventually you'll find something that teaches it to you.

in the whole game, there's really only one symbol you have to figure out on your own, and its only required in the post-endgame area.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

EvilMike posted:

the town is just a combination of all the different puzzles from other parts of the island. go back to it after you learned all the rules for solving puzzles. in general if you cant figure out the logic behind something, just go explore somewhere else and eventually you'll find something that teaches it to you.

in the whole game, there's really only one symbol you have to figure out on your own, and its only required in the post-endgame area.

what symbol? i don't remember that...

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

what symbol? i don't remember that...

the yellow triangle puzzles. the rule isn't too hard to figure out, but there's no tutorial sequence for them (or you could say, there is one, but it's a bunch of individual "broken" panels that don't trigger anything if you solve them, and are scattered in random places on the map).

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Man now you've all got me wanting to play the witness, but I've only got a Wii U.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Witness would own on a Wii U

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
in the treehouses i learned that on the bridges, you dont have to complete the last puzzle to make it to the other side. does that mean they are optional or do you have to finish them all to ultimately activate the laser

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

in the treehouses i learned that on the bridges, you dont have to complete the last puzzle to make it to the other side. does that mean they are optional or do you have to finish them all to ultimately activate the laser

iirc there is at least one you can skip, yea.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Plebian Parasite posted:

iirc there is at least one you can skip, yea.
yeah if you're some kind of wuss

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah if you're some kind of wuss

my small brain is easily defeated by the simplest of puzzles.. im doing what i can to get by

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

EvilMike posted:

the yellow triangle puzzles. the rule isn't too hard to figure out, but there's no tutorial sequence for them (or you could say, there is one, but it's a bunch of individual "broken" panels that don't trigger anything if you solve them, and are scattered in random places on the map).

oh, yeah, i definitely thought of it in the latter way - it seemed clear to me that the scattered triangles were the tutorial for their later appearance. they're generally hidden away where other games would put a reward or collectible - in this case, the 'reward' is having another clue for how that system works when you need it, much later

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

oh, yeah, i definitely thought of it in the latter way - it seemed clear to me that the scattered triangles were the tutorial for their later appearance. they're generally hidden away where other games would put a reward or collectible - in this case, the 'reward' is having another clue for how that system works when you need it, much later

i've solved 2 of those panels and i still dont get it.. maybe im not supposed to yet. the witness makes me feel more and more retarded every time i open it up

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rediscover posted:

i've solved 2 of those panels and i still dont get it.. maybe im not supposed to yet. the witness makes me feel more and more retarded every time i open it up

i didn't figure it out until after i beat the game. hell, i didn't even know there was something to figure out... though i had taken screenshots of every triangle puzzle i encountered, just in case they or their location were important for something.

i took a lot of screenshots like that in the witness

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

i didn't figure it out until after i beat the game. hell, i didn't even know there was something to figure out... though i had taken screenshots of every triangle puzzle i encountered, just in case they or their location were important for something.

i took a lot of screenshots like that in the witness

i have a notebook full of notes

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm too dumb to figure out how to take screenshots so I just take pictures of my monitor with my phone. And drawings.

I should probably just print out some of my pictures and draw on those.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm too dumb to figure out how to take screenshots so I just take pictures of my monitor with my phone. And drawings.

I should probably just print out some of my pictures and draw on those.

you should probably buy a coloring book

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

elf help book posted:

you should probably buy a coloring book

Jonathan Blow has taught me how to think outside of the lines. I'm now working on a paper mâché version of the island

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i just finished the tree house zone and its definitely my favorite so far. at first when i opened up the 'shortcut' i was like wtf where do i go now but then i looked at the bottom of the bridges and when i realized i could rotate them... n'oh my god such a cool mechanic. now i just have to finish the swamp and the town presumably before uncovering the Secret of the mountain.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I had pretty much finished everything else in the game when I figured out that spoiler....it's a good one.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I had pretty much finished everything else in the game when I figured out that spoiler....it's a good one.

its epic and i saw a secret panel that i didnt even bother trying to get to because it was too hard.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

for real gently caress the swamp though. i dont like the tetris puzzles very much, they take me significantly longer to solve than any of the other ones

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rediscover posted:

for real gently caress the swamp though. i dont like the tetris puzzles very much, they take me significantly longer to solve than any of the other ones

You already figured it out in the treehouse but my favorite trick is the moving platform in the swamp that people ride on and think they can't ride back on when really you just have to reverse the solution

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

it's epic that the last Queens room puzzle in alcazar is an exact copy of the puzzle right before it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

marsh complete. gently caress that zone. now all i have is the town and it is so loving beyond my abilities idk if i'll be able to complete it. theres like 5 puzzles available from the start and i cant even begin to figure them out

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

actually i forgot about the quarry which is good because the town is just stupid. additionally, wtf i figured out what ya'll meant by environmental puzzles :stare: i said what the fuuuck out loud to myself, the first time i did it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

rediscover posted:

actually i forgot about the quarry which is good because the town is just stupid. additionally, wtf i figured out what ya'll meant by environmental puzzles :stare: i said what the fuuuck out loud to myself, the first time i did it

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

I found them before I even finished a single zone :smugbird:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I found them before I even finished a single zone :smugbird:

in the giant bomb quick look, brads doing his 'omg i know something and cant tell you' voice and jeff realizes it like 3 minutes into playing and spoils brads fun

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rediscover posted:

The Real The Witness Starts Here

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i really like the the quarry's gimmick symbol thing where it cancels out one rule. too bad im loving hopelessly stuck again. i really don't look forward to going back to the town because for real im not even close to being equipped mentally to solve those puzzles. but i will persevere, i have to fuckin know whats inside that mountain and what on earth the ending is like. if its not absolutely insane i will be extremely disappointed

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

rediscover posted:

i really like the the quarry's gimmick symbol thing where it cancels out one rule. too bad im loving hopelessly stuck again. i really don't look forward to going back to the town because for real im not even close to being equipped mentally to solve those puzzles. but i will persevere, i have to fuckin know whats inside that mountain and what on earth the ending is like. if its not absolutely insane i will be extremely disappointed

if you want to get inside the mountain, you only need a couple lasers activated to open it up. so dont feel like you need to 100% clear the island. in fact you might want to do the mountain as soon as you have enough lasers turned on. that means you can skip the town entirely, if you want.

of course the game also has something for when you've turned on ALL the lasers. but imo its worth entering the mountain before you attempt that.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

also, you'll be disappointed if you're hoping for a big story revelation, this game isn't about that and there's no "plot" to speak of. so if you're expecting an absolutely insane ending cutscene, you should just give up now. but if you're expecting insane puzzles, you won't be disappointed. in the witness, whenever you ask "what's the secret behind the door??" the answer is always "more puzzles"

i spoilered that, but nothing i wrote there is really a huge secret so read it if you want. its just a general point about the witness that becomes clear after you play it a bit, i didnt say anything specific.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

EvilMike posted:

also, you'll be disappointed if you're hoping for a big story revelation, this game isn't about that and there's no "plot" to speak of. so if you're expecting an absolutely insane ending cutscene, you should just give up now. but if you're expecting insane puzzles, you won't be disappointed. in the witness, whenever you ask "what's the secret behind the door??" the answer is always "more puzzles"

i spoilered that, but nothing i wrote there is really a huge secret so read it if you want. its just a general point about the witness that becomes clear after you play it a bit, i didnt say anything specific.
Don't worry he already youtubed the ending like a week ago.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
imo the 'full' ending is pretty good... not for, like, plot, but just as a cool thing to complement the rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The big thing is 'ending' the game deletes your save pretty much, so don't do it unless you're finished.

• Locked thread