Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forgotten image
Jan 16, 2008

If you're going to secretly goonfuck, going to the worst pubbie guild in the galaxy isn't the brightest idea. :byewhore:
Party seems to be winding down. One last set of missions have left me with fully tricked out Conda, Python, Beluga and FDL, plus 2.3 billion in the bank. Guess it's time to go exploring since funds won't be a problem for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Pilchenstein posted:

One last round of missions should push me over three billion cash with another billion in assets, which is pretty loving ridiculous all things considered.

forgotten image posted:

Party seems to be winding down. One last set of missions have left me with fully tricked out Conda, Python, Beluga and FDL, plus 2.3 billion in the bank. Guess it's time to go exploring since funds won't be a problem for some time.

This fundamentally breaks the credit system and is not good for the long term health of the game. Players are able to "earn" a top end ship in just a few hours.

This exploit undermines the game economy. It was reported that 17 Draconis was showing something like 1700 CMDRs, these 6 skimmers being repeat killed will be responsible for pumping literally trillions of credits into ED. Is this intended behaviour?

Obviously there is an issue of balance here. I do not know what Frontier intend, and players should certainly be rewarded at a reasonable level, but this seems to be so far from the norm I find it hard to believe this is not broken.

To achieve this players sit there logging in then logging out over and over and over again, it seems this currently is the most effective and best way to "earn" credits. Is this correct and intended behaviour? Is the what the game design wants players to do?

People asking how to earn credits are told to sit there logging in and logging out over and over. This mechanism would seem to makes a mockery of legitamate game mechanics, the credit system, the economy, and the value of ships in general.

(source)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chrysophylax posted:

This fundamentally breaks the credit system and is not good for the long term health of the game. Players are able to "earn" a top end ship in just a few hours.

This exploit undermines the game economy. It was reported that 17 Draconis was showing something like 1700 CMDRs, these 6 skimmers being repeat killed will be responsible for pumping literally trillions of credits into ED. Is this intended behaviour?

Obviously there is an issue of balance here. I do not know what Frontier intend, and players should certainly be rewarded at a reasonable level, but this seems to be so far from the norm I find it hard to believe this is not broken.

To achieve this players sit there logging in then logging out over and over and over again, it seems this currently is the most effective and best way to "earn" credits. Is this correct and intended behaviour? Is the what the game design wants players to do?

People asking how to earn credits are told to sit there logging in and logging out over and over. This mechanism would seem to makes a mockery of legitamate game mechanics, the credit system, the economy, and the value of ships in general.

(source)

Doesn't an "economy" need more than one person?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously, you're not rich enough.

e: Stole your goon valour:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/311160-17-Draconis-exploit?p=4964912&viewfull=1#post4964912

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 4, 2017

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010

Shining Wit posted:

Deffo. Park 100m up, drop mine, start quitting before it hits the ground, boom, quit.

Also, 17 Draconis is on lockdown now, out of civil war.

drat, late to the party. I just started playing after a failed start earlier in the year and life getting in the way, and was looking for a way to jump start back into it on my new save.

Can this be done easily at other civil war systems, or was draconis 17 a special snowflake?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Mission rewards seen to be tied to distance from the bubble, so you'd need a system about as far out as 17 Drac that also had warring factions.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

You're doing God's work.

Deus Vult! :black101:

BR0ME0 posted:

drat, late to the party. I just started playing after a failed start earlier in the year and life getting in the way, and was looking for a way to jump start back into it on my new save.

Can this be done easily at other civil war systems, or was draconis 17 a special snowflake?

It cannot be done as quickly, but YouTube "billion credits in a week" and you will get more than a couple of videos on how to take advantage of non-17 Drac civil wars.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This game has an economy in the loosest sense of the word and all you need to destabilize it is a few hundred million at most (probably less).

Who cares if everyone is a billionaire as long as they're enjoying themselves.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Cut to everyone whining that there's no reason to do anything in the game anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This game has an economy in the loosest sense of the word and all you need to destabilize it is a few hundred million at most (probably less).

:haw:
Someone, clearly, doesn't have super-secret access to the dev forums.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Credits in this game are less like a currency and more like xp in an rpg. There is no player economy, no trading, crafting or any of the typical things you'd expect to see in an mmo (engineers might be analogous to crafting except you can't make money off what you can make engineering). They could replace the credit display in the ui with a progress bar where you unlock bigger ships with better mods as you fill up the meter and it wouldn't be functionally different from how it works now. 17 drac (or sothis/creos, precious gems, etc.) is really just like power leveling in WoW. No one there cares if someone gets to level 50 without grinding like they're "supposed" to in games like that.

Now, if we actually had player to player trades, player crafted ships and modules and an auction house like system, there would be more reason to have tighter controls on these bonanza situations.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

My game is crashing just as I pull onto a landing pad. Every single time. I tried 4 times (I thought it was disconnects before but it's a straight up freezing of the game, so it's a crash)

Is this a known issue? I'm running a file verification in Steam.

Dunno if it's related, but I had a weird issue in some stations where stuff would disappear and I'd be rendered effectively blind. Turned out to be outdated video drivers. Runs fine now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Chrysophylax posted:

(source)

>Hey rather than fixing the retarded instancing system that allowed this and other cheese and mission board scumming or addressing the grind which pressures players to flock here, let's add some esoteric "fixes" that do nothing to improve the game!

Frontier, probably

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

forumdad posted:

This fundamentally breaks the credit system and is not good for the long term health of the game.
(source)

This fundamentally breaks the credit system and is not good is the best thing ever for the long term health of the game

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Doesn't an "economy" need more than one person?

There is no economy in this game, only personal wealth. There are no exchanges between persons (of any meaningful nature within the game mechanics) to satisfy wants and needs and there is no supply restriction beyond some random arbitrary stock numbers that dont seem to behave rationally.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Other people enjoying themselves is the core problem which they're upset with.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
People earning in a single day what took them weeks and months of poopsocking to acquire is what's upsetting them.

Best equivalent I can think of are Dark Souls players (not even necessarily PVPers, or people who have ever touched the multiplayer aspect) upset that someone found a way to get a really good weapon in minutes that took them weeks of farming to drop.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not so sure most people with corvettes and such actually got the cash by mission grinding one at a time as :frontear: intended.

I think they're just upset that people are using a new exploit which makes their penis ship less exclusive and thus somehow smaller.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jnnnnn posted:

This fundamentally breaks the credit system and is not good is the best thing ever for the long term health of the game

Except for people who will come in after they "fix" the mission board even allowing thing slike Draconis 17 to happen :ohdear:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When they integrate Planet Coaster into ED then all you'll need is a Sidewinder to get from theme park to theme park.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Still crashing on dock

What is the best way to contact Frontier Support such as it is?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Anyone got any suggestions for a good FDL build? I got a class 4 gimbled autocannon and 4 pulse lasers but I'm just not feeling it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 5, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for a good FDL build? I got a class 4 gimbled autocannon and 4 pulse lasers but I'm just not feeling it.

All multicannons bound to one button. Make them as high rank efficient as you have engineer unlocks & mats for. Make your shield & boosters the resistance variety.

Set your shields to 4 pips, 2 to weapons and turn off flight assist as you give no shits what shoots at you. You'll win any staring competitions.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Try 3 multis (keeping the huge) and 2 beams. Or 4 multis and 1 huge beam.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hamshot posted:

People earning in a single day what took them weeks and months of poopsocking to acquire is what's upsetting them.

Best equivalent I can think of are Dark Souls players (not even necessarily PVPers, or people who have ever touched the multiplayer aspect) upset that someone found a way to get a really good weapon in minutes that took them weeks of farming to drop.

I don't get that mentality. I made my first 1.5B credits via grinds and community goals. I played the game I had fun. I doubled that in a weekend at 17 Draconis to give myself a comfortable buffer of credits. I'm am overjoyed that people are making enough money to have fun in a game I really enjoy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Frontier does as well considering how long this money faucet has been running and how they aren't taking credits away from anyone.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

jnnnnn posted:

No the best thing for the long term health would be a way to make sensible money with a method that isn't utterly stupid. Good mission payouts, no instance switching dancing, no log-in-log-out shenanigans. You know - good fundamental game design instead of relying on exploits to fix manchild head dev mistakes. Nothing about this situation is long term good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

No the best thing for the long term health would be a way to make sensible money with a method that isn't utterly stupid. Good mission payouts, no instance switching dancing, no log-in-log-out shenanigans. You know - good fundamental game design instead of relying on exploits to fix manchild head dev mistakes. Nothing about this situation is long term good.

shock, noted poster who hates games, DatonKallandor, hates a literal money faucet :allears:

edit: it's okay to like something even a little, buddy, even if it isn't perfect. go ahead give it a try i promise it won't hurt :buddy:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 5, 2017

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Frontier does as well considering how long this money faucet has been running and how they aren't taking credits away from anyone.

I think so too. No way they haven't realized why people flock to this stuff like starving animals.

DatonKallandor posted:

You know - good fundamental game design instead of relying on exploits to fix manchild head dev mistakes. Nothing about this situation is long term good.

I agree. From listening to their stream on missions, the impression I got is that they utterly, fundamentally, misunderstood what players wanted and expected out of a mission system. And now they have no space to move towards meeting that expectation without ripping the entire system up.

Like, apparently for each requested mission board they generate like 60-80 missions and display only an assortment of 20 at a time. It's all fine and dandy if they were 20 player-tailored missions. But they're not, they're this sperglord, stupid 'the universe doesn't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' immersion bullshit that satisfies exactly no one.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

shock, noted poster who hates games, DatonKallandor, hates a literal money faucet :allears:

edit: it's okay to like something even a little, buddy, even if it isn't perfect. go ahead give it a try i promise it won't hurt :buddy:

:nallears:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think they could cache the instance state centrally when players vacate (either by logging out or activating the FSD) and keep it around for a while, so if you come back to say, a rez zone or station within ten minutes of leaving it, it'll be in roughly the state you left it in, with a few time-dependent mutations. It's not super complicated compared to some of the alternatives, and shouldn't be too resource intensive either. It'd feel more real, and switching the instance off and back on again in a never-ending cycle wouldn't be a core gameplay mechanic anymore.

They could compensate for target starvation by having more or bigger rez zones instead, or simply increasing the NPC pop/churn rate a bit.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chrysophylax posted:

Like, apparently for each requested mission board they generate like 60-80 missions and display only an assortment of 20 at a time. It's all fine and dandy if they were 20 player-tailored missions. But they're not, they're this sperglord, stupid 'the universe doesn't care who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' immersion bullshit that satisfies exactly no one.

Yeah I wonder why they're continuing to run with this. People don't need to be reminded the universe doesn't care about them. You wake up everyday and everyone who isn't delusional realizes this at the start of their day. You can do a "the universe doesn't care about you" with good gameplay, good mission systems, player owned territory, player-based economy, rewarding players for being in a group and more group-based content...and so on and still have that theme alive and well in your game.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ElPez posted:

I think they could cache the instance state centrally when players vacate (either by logging out or activating the FSD) and keep it around for a while, so if you come back to say, a rez zone or station within ten minutes of leaving it, it'll be in roughly the state you left it in, with a few time-dependent mutations. It's not super complicated compared to some of the alternatives, and shouldn't be too resource intensive either. It'd feel more real, and switching the instance off and back on again in a never-ending cycle wouldn't be a core gameplay mechanic anymore.

They could compensate for target starvation by having more or bigger rez zones instead, or simply increasing the NPC pop/churn rate a bit.

I had the same thought; it would really be trivial, not require them to switch from the p2p connection model and solve a bunch of the game-ness elite has (which would be fine, if it wasn't simultaneously going for this ultra immersive schtick).

I kind of get the feeling they're hamstrung by stellar forge with certain things. Like maybe keeping track of all the cool but essentially pointless background scientific simulations (real time orbits etc.) is to resource intensive for the engine and it limits what they can do. Why do giant planets only ever have a couple bases? Why are there only ever like 3 conflict zones or res sites and why are they always in the same location? Everything is instanced anyway, why not just generate random and tons of these locations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Yes, DatonKallandor, who repeatedly points to games that do things right that he likes, hates games.
Keep obsessing N4I.

I'm not sure why you're so defensive of E:D - it's objectively badly designed in many areas and most of the thread agrees with that. That's why everyone is so happy whenever a new money exploit opens up in the first place. The fact that some parts of it are so well done (like the flight mechanics and sound design) just makes the bad things such a shame.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 5, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:grin:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
excellent troll milord

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Crow posted:

I had the same thought; it would really be trivial, not require them to switch from the p2p connection model and solve a bunch of the game-ness elite has (which would be fine, if it wasn't simultaneously going for this ultra immersive schtick).

I kind of get the feeling they're hamstrung by stellar forge with certain things. Like maybe keeping track of all the cool but essentially pointless background scientific simulations (real time orbits etc.) is to resource intensive for the engine and it limits what they can do. Why do giant planets only ever have a couple bases? Why are there only ever like 3 conflict zones or res sites and why are they always in the same location? Everything is instanced anyway, why not just generate random and tons of these locations.

Just how detailed is their celestial sim? It kind of looks like a simple hierarchy of attribute packets moving on elliptical rails. The cost of generating a planetary system is incurred once (when you enter, or whenever), and any object's current position is calculated as current time modulo orbital period. It's not like they're solving an n-body problem... So I don't think that's the issue. More likely they just had a schedule to keep, made a few arbitrary decisions, went "ok that's enough", and now they're afraid of messing too much with that aspect of it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ElPez posted:

Just how detailed is their celestial sim? It kind of looks like a simple hierarchy of attribute packets moving on elliptical rails. The cost of generating a planetary system is incurred once (when you enter, or whenever), and any object's current position is calculated as current time modulo orbital period. It's not like they're solving an n-body problem... So I don't think that's the issue. More likely they just had a schedule to keep, made a few arbitrary decisions, went "ok that's enough", and now they're afraid of messing too much with that aspect of it.

Honestly I'm not sure how detailed it is, but it's complicated enough that ships have real time gravity and orbital calculations done around individual bodies. It could definitely not be super complicated but if they were in a rush building the foundation (remember persistent universe wasnt an original feature), it could be a mess.

I just don't entirely buy that stupid design decisions are the root cause (even though it is frontier we're talking about). Like they make this big hoopla about adding geysers and there is what 3 on an entire planet? What?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Are there even that many? :D

I don't think I've come across a single geyser or fumarole since they were implemented (then again, the scanner has been broken ever since too, so maybe that's why they won't show up…).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

Are there even that many? :D

I don't think I've come across a single geyser or fumarole since they were implemented (then again, the scanner has been broken ever since too, so maybe that's why they won't show up…).

If I didn't know better, I would still think these were a forthcoming feature. Never seen one. Exploration is my primary play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If I didn't know better, I would still think these were a forthcoming feature. Never seen one. Exploration is my primary play style.

Apparently the highest chances to get to see those features are where you can find tourist beacons. At least players reported having seen them when landing near beacons.

• Locked thread