Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek couldn't doxx the broad-side of a federal building. I wouldn't worry.

So how do you like Star Marine? You never told me why Last Man Standing was so much fun. I assume you're a huge fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek couldn't doxx the broad-side of a federal building. I wouldn't worry.

areyoutoast?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately CIG's art direction, like everything else, is limited by the imagination of its creative director. Color is just one example. There's little inspiration with respect to any aspect of the game, from the appearance of characters to the starships to even the lore itself. It's pretty sad when the story of Star Citizen (the project) is more interesting and immersive than the story of Star Citizen (the game).

I feel like a lot of it is that Star Citizen has no soul. It has no defining characteristics or rules that dictate how things look or how the universe operates. If you look at something out of Star Wars or Star Trek you can associate it with that universe. Firefly did the same thing by focusing on a western, frontier aesthetic. Elite has largely done the same thing (although I think the Guatamaya ships are a bit out of synch). Wing Commander (the game) did as well with their jets in space and open hangars trying to create a WW2 look within the limitations of the technology. In WC1/2 the ships were bright and colorful, with distinctive silhouettes that attempted to evoke the look of a WW2 space plane. Between WC1 and WC2 the emphasis was placed on increasing the style by using the extra pixels to add paneling in a manner that suggested a riveted warbird. This aesthetic was also transitioned over to the Kilrathi ships, which had a distinct look but retained a "riveted together" appearance. Privateer also follows this aesthetic even with the alien Selkath craft which have a paneled look. The same thing is visible in the cut scenes, and in the inside of the cockpits. Incidentally the limited viewspace of the cockpits was a technical trick; the less you could see out the window the less you had to render.

Curiously Privateer shows an interesting turning point for Wing Commander. While the ships are still sprites they were clearly based off of 3D models. If you compare the difference between ships featured in the first WC and Privateer you can clearly see that the color palette is now muted. We see the same thing happen in later WC ships. As more freedom allows for more detail, it seems to come at the expense of color. This continues in the Wing Commander movie and ultimately now in CR's latest release.

Unfortunately the technological freedom of Star Citizen has resulted in a mish-mash of creative ideas with little in the way of a unifying appearance. Vanduul, Xian, Banu, and Human ships have little to suggest they're part of the same universe. Even the different Human manufacturers take wildly different approaches and leave a lot to be desired. Why does a Hornet have massive "hydrogen scoops" and wings but the Aurora has neither but relies on fans? Why does Drake have everything from a wingless stump of a ship in the Herald to a Cutlass to a space-jet Buccaneer? Where is the unifying theme? What universal rules bring everything together? I would argue there are none, and instead the various ships reflect the lack of vision of the creator. Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

And don't forget the space torpedoes with prop guards. In space

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Refund? No. Pledging more? IDK.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So how do you like Star Marine? You never told me why Last Man Standing was so much fun. I assume you're a huge fan?

I don't play LMS much.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://sites.google.com/view/starcitizenflightmodelproposal

quote:

I propose the following is in keeping with Chris Robert’s and the communities’ vision for Star Citizen:

Goals for flight model:
WWII-style dogfighting (action packed, visual range, gunning, semi plane-like combat)
As realistic space flight physics as possible within the boundaries of WWII-style dogfighting
As much immersion as possible; plausible physics and lore reasons behind all flight model decisions
Skilled and varied gameplay
“Easy to learn, difficult to master”

Avoid for flight model:
Avoid having absolute realism over gameplay
Avoid gameplay decisions over immersion, lore, and plausible physics (no “space friction”, no “on rails” flight)
Avoid “endless” anything...endless circle strafing, endless jousting, endless turning combat, instead a mixture of all
Avoid overly difficult controls for beginners
Avoid confining advanced players to only low skilled combat

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

areyoutoast?

Absolutely not. It's like with Police Officers, you know? If you ask them, they need to tell you!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Alexis has a legit job though , handling tickets and CS or whatever

"Subscription Manager"

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

Absolutely not. It's like with Police Officers, you know? If you ask them, they need to tell you!

Are you a cop?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Did Chris really have some photo of him smoking published?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

areyoutoast?

Of course he is. Look at the avatar.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Are you a cop?

Hands up all the cops in the thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm 6'9" and let me tell you it's loving awesome.

Pleasure to meet you, Mr Fleetwood. How is Mac?

Edit: re: size - Remember this amazing piece of booking?

Apart from suffering technical difficulties, they decided to find the shortest and tallest people in Britain to present.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 4, 2017

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't play LMS much.

hey can you do a twitch stream of you playing star marine, id totally watch it

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm 6'9" and let me tell you it's loving awesome.

I would look quite short if I stood next to you :)

Anyway, I don't think any of us were judging TC or his little buddy, we were merely mocking them. :D

They both likely have quite thick skin for that kinda stuff anyway, if I needed a step ladder to reach the kitchen worktop I would have too :D

(I'm done mocking now)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't play LMS much.

I thought you didn't have Evocati.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought you didn't have Evocati.

You're right. I don't.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're right. I don't.

Oh. So you're full of poo poo then. Thanks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh. So you're full of poo poo then. Thanks.

Reminder that MOMA has literally never posted in any SA thread except this one.

Wonder why that is.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Milky Moor posted:

Reminder that MOMA has literally never posted in any SA thread except this one.

Wonder why that is.

3 Others. gently caress off. Why do you care so much?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ManofManyAliases posted:

2 Others. gently caress off.

Handbags at dawn everybody!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I actually quite like this new version of MoMa, the insta snap replies with sentance enhancers are good. :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

At this point I feel like this is a shared account.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sabreseven posted:

I actually quite like this new version of MoMa, the insta snap replies with sentance enhancers are good. :)

Oh man, that's not good. We need to switch to another one of us. BRB - changing users.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh man, that's not good. We need to switch to another one of us. BRB - changing users.

LOL, that's old 'rolling with the punches MoMa' talk,

Stay a while and be angry :) Straight to the point talk beats the heck out of tippy toeing anyday in my book :)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sickening posted:

At this point I feel like this is a shared account.

It's how they get around the "are you toast?" question. Someone else logs on, and they don't have to lie more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ManofManyAliases posted:

You have 1400 posts in total. You have exactly twelve posts which aren't related to Star Citizen. That isn't even a full percentage point.

My conclusion is that you have some kind of crippling brain disease.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fuctifino posted:

He's always squirrelled away in high security compounds, playing 'Best Buddies' with the cult leader, David Miscavige

This really upsets me. Can't you guys stop being weird and doxxing people for once?

:sad:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Milky Moor posted:

You have 1400 posts in total. You have exactly twelve posts which aren't related to Star Citizen. That isn't even a full percentage point.

You're absolutely correct, I'm terminal. My Make-a-wish was to have an SA forum account and that has provided me with 1400 posts of entertainment so far.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol thats a myth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

During break, at least 20. Before Break? At least 40 = )

Full

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't play LMS much.

Of

poo poo

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately CIG's art direction, like everything else, is limited by the imagination of its creative director. Color is just one example. There's little inspiration with respect to any aspect of the game, from the appearance of characters to the starships to even the lore itself. It's pretty sad when the story of Star Citizen (the project) is more interesting and immersive than the story of Star Citizen (the game).

I feel like a lot of it is that Star Citizen has no soul. It has no defining characteristics or rules that dictate how things look or how the universe operates. If you look at something out of Star Wars or Star Trek you can associate it with that universe. Firefly did the same thing by focusing on a western, frontier aesthetic. Elite has largely done the same thing (although I think the Guatamaya ships are a bit out of synch). Wing Commander (the game) did as well with their jets in space and open hangars trying to create a WW2 look within the limitations of the technology. In WC1/2 the ships were bright and colorful, with distinctive silhouettes that attempted to evoke the look of a WW2 space plane. Between WC1 and WC2 the emphasis was placed on increasing the style by using the extra pixels to add paneling in a manner that suggested a riveted warbird. This aesthetic was also transitioned over to the Kilrathi ships, which had a distinct look but retained a "riveted together" appearance. Privateer also follows this aesthetic even with the alien Selkath craft which have a paneled look. The same thing is visible in the cut scenes, and in the inside of the cockpits. Incidentally the limited viewspace of the cockpits was a technical trick; the less you could see out the window the less you had to render.

Curiously Privateer shows an interesting turning point for Wing Commander. While the ships are still sprites they were clearly based off of 3D models. If you compare the difference between ships featured in the first WC and Privateer you can clearly see that the color palette is now muted. We see the same thing happen in later WC ships. As more freedom allows for more detail, it seems to come at the expense of color. This continues in the Wing Commander movie and ultimately now in CR's latest release.

Unfortunately the technological freedom of Star Citizen has resulted in a mish-mash of creative ideas with little in the way of a unifying appearance. Vanduul, Xian, Banu, and Human ships have little to suggest they're part of the same universe. Even the different Human manufacturers take wildly different approaches and leave a lot to be desired. Why does a Hornet have massive "hydrogen scoops" and wings but the Aurora has neither but relies on fans? Why does Drake have everything from a wingless stump of a ship in the Herald to a Cutlass to a space-jet Buccaneer? Where is the unifying theme? What universal rules bring everything together? I would argue there are none, and instead the various ships reflect the lack of vision of the creator. Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

I actually think the Art direction is one of the few ways SC shines. each manufacturer has its own distinctive look and silhouette; which is important when you let players pick their own skin and you want to visually identify them at great range. Unlike say Elite where the majority of ships are very angular and are unidentifiable by their silhouette alone.

Star Wars has a clear "this is empire" and "this is rebel" aesthetic for the original trilogy era. It gets far more muddy in the prequels.

I think its fair to knock the use of fans vs scoops vs fins on the CIG ships, and there are some definitely questionable design decisions, but I'll take unique looking buy absurdly unrealistic over designs that all look the same because the artist is forced to put function over form.

SC is a mix of sci-fi tropes and art styles. Its a collage of mismatch junk that creates its own aesthetic. Like a hipster's apartment full of reclaimed furniture.

Having said that, CIG would have been a lot better off if they went for a more cartoon/artistic style in their art direction instead of "Fidelity", because then the hodgepodge of art styles wouldn't look so out of place.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 5, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Full

Of

poo poo

Yo, don't doxx me bro.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

star citizen looks garbage because there is no consistency. star marine would look at least on par with other cryengine games if it featured some lovely sunlight or dappled trees but at the moment its blank boring generic spaceship

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

I actually think the Art direction is one of the few ways SC shines. each manufacturer has its own distinctive look and silhouette; which is important when you let players pick their own skin and you want to visually identify them at great range. Unlike say Elite where the majority of ships are very angular and are unidentifiable by their silhouette alone.

Star Wars has a clear "this is empire" and "this is rebel" aesthetic for the original trilogy era. It gets far more muddy in the prequels.

I think its fair to knock the use of fans vs scoops vs fins on the CIG ships, and there are some definitely questionable design decisions, but I'll take unique looking buy absurdly unrealistic over designs that all look the same because the artist is forced to put function over form.

SC is a mix of sci-fi tropes and art styles. Its a collage of mismatch junk that creates its own aesthetic. Like a hipster's apartment full of reclaimed furniture.

Having said that, CIG would have been a lot better off if they went for a more cartoon/artistic style in their art direction instead of "Fidelity", because then the hodgepodge of art styles wouldn't look so out of place.

I agree it would cool if the intent were there, but the more ships I see the more it feels like there isn't much differentiating the art styles. Drake is a particularly egregious example.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Once again I really wish MoMA was Toast, since at least that'd be an interesting bit of background compared to "guy that spent too much money on video game".

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

Uh... anyone?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

hosed up and true

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Sabreseven posted:

PS1 was awesome, had a 'gaming night' with a few friends during it's peak and we ended up playing it for nearly ten hours straight, it started off as a recon run to a technology plant and turned into a battle that would last all night and into the next day.

I logged back in last year to witness the final minutes of game life, the farewell meteor storm was epic. :)

PlanetSide was superior to its sequel in most respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Moma lies a lot, like about his reddit account, I just hope he's not been lying about still having $8k in ships, because lol, it's 2017 and there's no game and no sign of one either.

I mean I didn't take him seriously when he said he'd 40 hours or 60 hours in Star Marine, whatever it was. He's posting angry because he knows it's poo poo and he'd rather get laughed at here than play the dumb thing, can't say I blame him.