Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ynglaur posted:

I've found this game really hard to get into, mostly due to lack of time. Gnomoria is $4 on Steam right now. Is it a decent DF Lite?

You may want to try RimWorld out, it's similar to DF but smaller on scale and quite well made. The dev still makes it and will for the forseeable future, it has a healthy modding community, and a popular thread here. It costs more than Gnomoria however and is a lot more difficult, but it's worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you want to get into RimWorld, buy it off the dev's website. He's not going to put it on Sale on Steam probably while it's in Early Access.
That way you get the DRM-free version, a Steam key, the prototypes that became Rimworld, and you give Ludeon Studios most of the money instead of Steam taking a cut.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

neogeo0823 posted:

It's got its own eccentricities and the dev has stopped working on it, in favor of community mods. I have it, and for $4 it's definitely worth it as a DFlite, but don't expect it to surpass the original in really any way.

I enjoyed Gnomoria but haven't played it for awhile. I'm sad to hear the guy stopped working on it and hope the community mods are solid. It had/has its issues but is fun. Going to second it as a DF Lite.

RimWorld looks really interesting though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I enjoyed Gnomoria but haven't played it for awhile. I'm sad to hear the guy stopped working on it and hope the community mods are solid. It had/has its issues but is fun. Going to second it as a DF Lite.

Thirding this. I bought it before it was on Steam and played it quite a bit. Nothing's going to be as layered as DF, but I had a lot of fun, and it had some of its own vision instead of just being "DF but less".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

apokaladle posted:

Thirding this. I bought it before it was on Steam and played it quite a bit. Nothing's going to be as layered as DF, but I had a lot of fun, and it had some of its own vision instead of just being "DF but less".

Building castles up in to the sky was fun. Though the last time I played I had quit mainly because invasions got so large that units would go in to battle in new steel gear and fight so long that their armor would break, which resulted in immediately limb loss/death for those gnomes since when you're ripping through 40-50 or so enemies, as soon as a soldier has a weakness to exploit they all would focus on it. Maybe some crazy high level Way of the Gnome kung fu masters would've been able to survive purely by dodging forever but :effort:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Rimworld is pretty fun, but I miss z-levels when I play it. Being able to add a second story to settlements would solve a lot of layout problems (and create a lot of layout problems).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I find that when playing Prison Architect as well. Although I can kind of understand not wanting to do Z-levels. It adds a ton of slowdown and a lot of people are more comfortable designing in 2 dimensions anyway, since you can see the whole layout at once. A lot of my forts in DF end up being mostly 2D with a few extra layers for things like sticking my stockpiles right underneath my workshops or expanding apartment blocks.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rimworld is also extremely funny because of the relationships, like DF. I've seen many a gay colonist be hopelessly infatuated with a straight man. I also really like turning certain colonists into cybernetic murder machines that I keep in cryo when they're not fighting, like a 40k everser assassin. Sure they wake up with cryosleep sickness but I don't care. I just like the idea of a living weapon that's only ever thawed out to kill.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It gets less funny when half your colony is on the edge of pigging out/starting fires/stripping naked to wander the below freezing wilderness cause every man above 23 wanted to hit on the beautiful 18 year old lesbian over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the rimworld relationship thing is mainly hosed up in a way that actually affects gameplay because the main dev is a weirdo who doesn't believe bisexual men exist or something. it's incredibly baffling and leads to truly stupid scenarios because he just won't make the sexuality system normal. like, for every df scenario where someone can't breed some animals due to their sexuality imagine like 10 rimworld scenarios where the system baked into the game makes colonists act really dumb.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Johnny Joestar posted:

the rimworld relationship thing is mainly hosed up in a way that actually affects gameplay because the main dev is a weirdo who doesn't believe bisexual men exist or something. it's incredibly baffling and leads to truly stupid scenarios because he just won't make the sexuality system normal. like, for every df scenario where someone can't breed some animals due to their sexuality imagine like 10 rimworld scenarios where the system baked into the game makes colonists act really dumb.

Sounds extra realistic to me (not the bisexual men don't exist part, the rest)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Rimworld is also extremely funny because of the relationships, like DF. I've seen many a gay colonist be hopelessly infatuated with a straight man. I also really like turning certain colonists into cybernetic murder machines that I keep in cryo when they're not fighting, like a 40k everser assassin. Sure they wake up with cryosleep sickness but I don't care. I just like the idea of a living weapon that's only ever thawed out to kill.

I hope their name is Bucky. :allears:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope their name is Bucky. :allears:

Holy poo poo I've been wasting my life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Leal posted:

It gets less funny when half your colony is on the edge of pigging out/starting fires/stripping naked to wander the below freezing wilderness cause every man above 23 wanted to hit on the beautiful 18 year old lesbian over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER again.

So it's a colony of goons then?

Johnny Joestar posted:

I've never played rimworld, but do bisexual women exist, just not men? Because :psyduck: if so.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

KillHour posted:

So it's a colony of goons then?

I've never played rimworld, but do bisexual women exist, just not men? Because :psyduck: if so.

Bisexual men used to be very unlikely or impossible due to some bug/oversight in the way he programmed interest/relationships, since he went with some complicated way based off of OkCupid statistics/probability to try and make it 'realistic'.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
And all women were bisexual (straight women saw other women at 15% attractiveness rather than 0%)

he had some pretty lousy/disingenuous excuses for doing so, as well. reddit of course got mad that the game mechanics were pointed out because zzzzzz

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/02/rimworld-code-analysis/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh good. I was only half reading this conversation and thought Toady did all that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah if you enjoy Rimworld go right ahead but lol if you try defend his opinions

:haw:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and to think, with toady adding sexuality we got to laugh at dumb nerds breaking their game by trying to mod everything to be straight again

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Oh good. I was only half reading this conversation and thought Toady did all that.

Haha, no one will ever profane The Chosen One of indie game developers. Neither boredom, apathy nor redditors will sway our hero from his dogged pursuit of the One True Dwarven Story Simulator.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In unmodded DF are there hostile entities that can can break open grates/roof tiles and invade the space below it? Planning new fortress in my head.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I don't think so.

Edit: wall grates can be, floor grates cannot.

Good resource on building destroyers http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Building_destroyer

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 3, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anything built with the b-C menu can't be destroyed - walls, floor tiles, fortifications. The other stuff can be, including any kind of grate or other constructed furniture (beds, workshops, tables, windows, screw pumps).

Building destroyers can't break forbidden hatches above them though. Seems kinda cheat-y to me so I try to avoid exploiting that but it's up to you.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Well poo poo, I misread a portion of that and thought floor grates were safe.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Has there been any word on implementing armies in the past year or so? I know it's in white on the dev plan so it's not happening soon but I also swear that he was working on it once upon a time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Arkangelus posted:

Has there been any word on implementing armies in the past year or so? I know it's in white on the dev plan so it's not happening soon but I also swear that he was working on it once upon a time.

He put the goblins back on their mounts and made them able to jump and also actually have to path to your fort on the map.

So in a way he did a lot but changed almost nothing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

necrotic posted:

Well poo poo, I misread a portion of that and thought floor grates were safe.

I think building destroyers won't destroy things that are above them? Or something weird and slightly buggy like that?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, they do have to be on the same z-level. You can put a ramp leading to a door and they can't touch it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Noob military question from someone trying to make a "real" fort, if I have just a handful of Dorfs in my military (ie at the start) is it better to have three people in a squad together or have three different squads with rotating schedules? I hear that constantly training makes the Dorfs hate you, but I am not sure if training is hamstrung if a one-man squad is doing it by itself rather than watching/leading group exercises.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Beak Dogs are basically giant, hairy birds right?

I always loved the idea a dwarf studied one for a while and decided it was a dog for some reason

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do i remove trees that i can't cut down for some reason? I'm trying to channel out a area, but they are in the way. I tried to remove its support, but it landed on my miners head and killed him very dead, i suspected this would be the outcome and i enjoyed immensely.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Zore posted:

Beak Dogs are basically giant, hairy birds right?

I always loved the idea a dwarf studied one for a while and decided it was a dog for some reason

I think the general understanding is that they're velociraptors (Jurassic Park sized ones, of course).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dongattack posted:

How do i remove trees that i can't cut down for some reason? I'm trying to channel out a area, but they are in the way. I tried to remove its support, but it landed on my miners head and killed him very dead, i suspected this would be the outcome and i enjoyed immensely.

Make a floor or two around it and hatchet that trunk... Is there some bug preventing you from chopping it normally?

Mining out the base is begging for an accident.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

necrotic posted:

Make a floor or two around it and hatchet that trunk... Is there some bug preventing you from chopping it normally?

Mining out the base is begging for an accident.

I d-t the tree, but it doesn't get marked and a woodcutter never comes to chop it down. Might be a bug? If so it has been around for many versions.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think I've had that happen before but I cannot remember how I resolved it. It's not "selecting" another z-level of the trunk or tree is it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

necrotic posted:

I think I've had that happen before but I cannot remember how I resolved it. It's not "selecting" another z-level of the trunk or tree is it?

Hmm, maybe? I haven't looked for that. I'll check it tomorrow when i wake up. I suspect there might be a way to fix it with DFHack console commands also now that i think about it, i feel like i have seen commands that deal with deleting or destroying tiles in there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

take the undesignate tool, go a z level below the tree and then select a 10x10 with the tree inside it, then go up to above the tree.

if you mark an upper level of a tree for hatcheting sometimes it just never works.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

if you mark an upper level of a tree for hatcheting sometimes it just never works.

Yeah, that's all I can think of. It marks it but the lumberjacks basically ignore it as they can't "reach" that tile.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Noob military question from someone trying to make a "real" fort, if I have just a handful of Dorfs in my military (ie at the start) is it better to have three people in a squad together or have three different squads with rotating schedules? I hear that constantly training makes the Dorfs hate you, but I am not sure if training is hamstrung if a one-man squad is doing it by itself rather than watching/leading group exercises.

I'd do 3 dwarfs in a squad together, and edit the orders such that you have "minimum: 2" for all months. That way, there's at least 2 dwarves training so you get the group exercise and sparring training (sparring is the most important I think) and the third can be sleeping/eating/drinking and generally getting needs filled so they don't go nuts. They're pretty good about managing themselves in such a situation - IE you're not gonna get a 'lazy' one who just never shows up to train making the other 2 train forever with no breaks.

If you divide up the squads to train 4 months on each (or however you were thinking) it'll take them forever to get up to snuff, even not accounting for the lack of sparring and group exercises.

Generally I just have squads set to train every single month and I just keep the value for the minimum required number a couple below the squad's strength (10 dwarves get 7-8 minimum).

Afaik they still all respond to direct orders from the squad screen too, although you might have the occasional straggler - getting 'em all together with a station order before sending them forth is best practice anyway unless you enjoyed what the French knights did at Crecy (cliffnotes: they attacked piecemeal and got obliterated).

e: Some (most?) military dwarves will end up doing training on their own for most of their free time so odds are all 3 will be training at the same time anyway but they won't be able to participate in group lessons or sparring that way.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you ever want to channel out something safely, use supports. You can link them to a lever and collapse them without killing a miner.