Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Magna Kaser posted:

It's not Taipei as much as a group thing. If there's a group of more culturally relatable people with less of a language barrier most people aren't going to branch out because it's more work and more awkward.

I understand what you mean. But because I chose the city I did, I don't really have the option to give in to that temptation. Even the other foreigners here generally don't speak good English and Chinese is more useful for communicating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

You're looking down the lenght.
For some reason I was thinking that we were looking from her shoulders, which would make the box tiny, but now I realize that's the feet portion. Oops

Also, the garbage Science-Buzzfeedish Futurism, who loves China very much, posted:

TRADITIONAL FEAR EXTINCTION TRAINING. Total loving bullshit. LMAO

Most of the replies are really upset about SUPER SOLDIERS (POSSIBLY CHINESE) TAKING ARE FREEDUMBS. One of the comments:

quote:

Oh dear. This pic is not even a simplification, it's an outright lie!

The actual study found that they could NOT stop or in any way change the formation of fear or fearful memories. What they managed to do was enhance the therapy which reduces the response to these memories.

Meaning to say that they can help with more effective tretment of fear related to specific triggers or anxiety - NOT remove fear completely or create "super soldiers". Also, this has only happened in mice so far. But it could be helpful for soldiers returning with PTSD.

Please stop fear mongering and find and read the actual studys and sources - don't trust these lying pics on internet.
http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(16)30856-X?_returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS089662731630856X%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

Nov 24, 2014

Haha goddamn.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not quite sure what that has to do with Chinr, but SMBC is awesome and that is one of the best.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

oohhboy posted:

Not quite sure what that has to do with Chinr, but SMBC is awesome and that is one of the best.
It has to do with what I posted, how Futurism wrote this stupid thing saying stuff, but someone found the article Futurism based it on and it says it relieves bad memories in mice.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah. Right. I was being dumb.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blistex posted:

I'm sorry your wife ended up with an rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex for a proff. The dean of English at my university was saying that there was a generally accepted rule amongst proffs that either spelling is fine since it's not a big deal to anyone who isn't an idiot. (his words)

It's cool, I think I actually ended up with a B overall in that class. He was extremely weird and nothing like that happened again.

Worst was when my English History prof told me that Americans consider McDonalds to be the greatest symbol of their country. She did not know I was American. I just nodded. Thanks for cansplaining that for me, ma'am! :byewhore:

Blistex posted:

That was the first and last time I ever tried teaching teachers in China.

loving poo poo christ!!!!!!

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 4, 2017

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

226 posted:

Haha goddamn.

This is awesome.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Worst was when my English History prof told me that Americans consider McDonalds to be the greatest symbol of their country. She did not know I was American. I just nodded. Thanks for cansplaining that for me, ma'am! :byewhore:

Um, uh, what? Where was she from? Reading this I feel like it's similar to foreigners thinking Americans all have the "cowboy" attitude or something.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

nickmeister posted:

Um, uh, what? Where was she from? Reading this I feel like it's similar to foreigners thinking Americans all have the "cowboy" attitude or something.

Like half of the foreign students from Asian countries that I met in my undergrad asked me if I loved country music and if I wore cowboy boots. It was crazy because at the time I dress liked a punk scumbag.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

I too want my kids to suffer TBI rather than bother with helmets.

helmets are for american lycra warrior pussies

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Haier posted:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/costly-crash-lamborghini-and-ferrari-collide-in-massey-tunnel-1.3206987

What's left out, according to reddit, is that they were both Chinese kids.

I was gonna post this here when it happened because it is the most Vancouver car crash ever.

First, it took place in the Massey Tunnel, which is one of the two ways to get from Vancouver proper to the southern suburbs where most people actually live because it's one of the few places left where you can afford a house (barely). As a result it is guaranteed to snarl traffic for at least 3 hours.

Second, BC has graduated licensing, so new drivers have to slap a giant green N sticker on their car. Both of the cars involved in this accident had their Ns.

Of course they were Chinese, because who the gently caress else is dumb enough to give their kid who is learning how to drive access to a supercar.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Figured out how all them girls on Tantan are fake accounts coming from the same distance and area of the city.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That must be an amazingly depressing job, no matter what social media you're interacting with.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Gong Li

:negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTmV3K57_8

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Such original and innovative cinema coming from China. Hollywood can only salivate.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Could you explain what the problem is? It just looks like a Journey to the West inspired action movie trailer to me :confused:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets remake this story for the #6213 time, but now with lovely CGI and Chinese propaganda.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Could you explain what the problem is? It just looks like a Journey to the West inspired action movie trailer to me :confused:

It's akin to how the UK might occasionally rehash the Arthurian legend every so often. But whereas the Arthurian legend may be extended in different directions (young Arthur, young Merlin, from the POV of a knight, as a parody, etc), the Monkey King story is generally portrayed the same way every time with little meaningful variation when made by the Chinese.

Edit: Fwiw, the preceding movie in that trailer basically only consists of the part of the Monkey King story before he actually goes on the journey. This one looks like it's at least the first half of it as apropos for a sequel and presumably it'll be a trilogy.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Haier posted:

Figured out how all them girls on Tantan are fake accounts coming from the same distance and area of the city.

Wouldn't it be easier to write a bot? I guess it wouldn't be cheaper though.

A few pages back but I liked Singapore. My sister lived there for a couple years and yes it's a bit sterile but the food is amazing and cheap and it's a nice launchpad to anywhere you might want to visit for a more foreign experience. But as noted living costs themselves weren't cheap and it was warm or hot all the drat time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HerStuddMuffin posted:

This \/

oohhboy posted:

Lets remake this story for the #6213 time, but now with lovely CGI and Chinese propaganda.

Pretty much. They have been rehashing this same story for the last 30 years to an insane degree. It would be akin to 25% of all British movies and tv shows being, "King Arthur and the knights of the round table".

Here are the top 4 results in IMDB when you type "monkey king"

If you do a more in-depth look, you'll find something like 5 television shows based on the monkey king in the last 15 years and upwards of 30 movies. (not even joking). Chinese cinema is getting worse due to the restrictions Uncle Xi is putting on it, so everyone is going for the really, really safe bets, and remaking the same 3 movies over and over again. You could joke about Hollywood remaking movies as well, but that would really only be comparable if all they did was endlessly remake "Dirty Dancing", "Labyrinth", and "Major League" several times a year for 20+ years.

Also I have a soft spot for Gong Li and I was hoping that she was above this kind of poo poo. Shu Qi already disappointed me with Stephen Chow's latest abortion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I saw number one in that trilogy

i laughed once the entire time. it was a very bad movie

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I saw number one in that trilogy

i laughed once the entire time. it was a very bad movie

they made a movie of your posts?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realize it was so prevalent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realize it was so prevalent.

There's a sort of recurring thing when working with East Asians in Engineering where they can generally do any sort of task that's been done before and can refine it to peak efficiency, but when trying to come up with novel solutions or adapt to a change in procedure, they tend to come up short in comparison to Westerners. This is a gross over simplification, but I feel like it extends to the arts as well and scales a little with exposure to Western influences. Japan has had the most exposure compared to Korea and China so their creative output has a bit more novelty compared to Korea's and especially compared to China's. It also ties into their education structure and how they're expected to learn and express said knowledge.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Blistex posted:

If you do a more in-depth look, you'll find something like 5 television shows based on the monkey king in the last 15 years and upwards of 30 movies. (not even joking). Chinese cinema is getting worse due to the restrictions Uncle Xi is putting on it, so everyone is going for the really, really safe bets, and remaking the same 3 movies over and over again. You could joke about Hollywood remaking movies as well, but that would really only be comparable if all they did was endlessly remake "Dirty Dancing", "Labyrinth", and "Major League" several times a year for 20+ years.

Not sure if I'd rather see the Chinese remake of Dirty Dancing or Major League. Given the right creative work (I know, I know), a Chinese version of Dirty Dancing could be some biting commentary.

As for Major League, I'd love to see them try to one-up Charlie Sheen.

Edit: Oh wait, I was thinking of Footloose. A Chinese version of Footloose could be good.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 4, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Not sure if I'd rather see the Chinese remake of Dirty Dancing or Major League. Given the right creative work (I know, I know), a Chinese version of Dirty Dancing could be some biting commentary.

As for Major League, I'd love to see them try to one-up Charlie Sheen.

Dirty Dancing, set in a resort in China's beautiful South China Sea.

Major League, but when they get to the playoffs the plot suddenly becomes about killing the Japanese devils and baseball is never mentioned again.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jeoh posted:

they made a movie of your posts?
I wish they made a movie of your life because you're a pretty good joke of a human being and from what I remember, Dutch movies are a bit like Danish ones in that they're good at those pathetic, lame characters

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a sort of recurring thing when working with East Asians in Engineering where they can generally do any sort of task that's been done before and can refine it to peak efficiency, but when trying to come up with novel solutions or adapt to a change in procedure, they tend to come up short in comparison to Westerners. This is a gross over simplification, but I feel like it extends to the arts as well and scales a little with exposure to Western influences. Japan has had the most exposure compared to Korea and China so their creative output has a bit more novelty compared to Korea's and especially compared to China's. It also ties into their education structure and how they're expected to learn and express said knowledge.
That feels a little bit like just engineers in general though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
chinese the sandlot

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jose posted:

chinese the sandlot

In the first 30 seconds of the movie their mothers tell them to get back inside so they don't get sick. The next hour and 10 minutes is watching them study, eat, and dick around on their ipads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blistex posted:

In the first 30 seconds of the movie their mothers tell them to get back inside so they don't get sick. The next hour and 10 minutes is watching them study, eat, and dick around on their ipads.

i'm most interested in the chewing tobacco scene

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Indian engineers specifically have a reputation for being super efficient at the specific tasks they are given, and zero initiative to go beyond that, because that's what's been beaten into them in their whole educational career.

It's not that they can't be creative or take initiative, it's that they've been trained not to. Once they unlearn that they do fine.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

This has been my experience too. HK kids fine, Taiwan fine, Korea fine, the very rare Japanese dude (japanese international students seem to be 99% ladies) also fine. Mainland chinese guys? Full on anti-social often with simmering rage and resentment at being surrounded by horrible confusing foreigners.

Is it something to do with face culture that they're too scared of possibly losing face in any sort of interaction in a language they aren't confident in and a culture they don't totally understand?

I've got male Chinese buddies in the USA and they're awesome, no rage or anti-social behavior. But most of them don't have white friends yeah

Also I know white dudes in Asia who bitch about asians all the time and don't associate with asian men, somehow most of them have asian wives or girlfriends tho. I guess that's the real difference. Also Chinese dudes have unrealistic expectations about dating white girls, wow.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Modest Mao posted:

Also Chinese dudes have unrealistic expectations about dating white girls, wow.

I am so, so, so going to regret this but, please elaborate.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Modest Mao posted:

Also I know white dudes in Asia who bitch about asians all the time and don't associate with asian men, somehow most of them have asian wives or girlfriends tho. I guess that's the real difference. Also Chinese dudes have unrealistic expectations about dating white girls, wow.

I have heard about this so many times but have never once seen it in seven years in Asia. It's almost like some mythical figure that exists in the periphery of my world. I read about it on the internet and I live in Asia with so many opinionated foreigners and locals and still can not find this elusive white guy who bitches about Asians but has an Asian wife.

I guess I'll keep looking and let y'all know if I find one

Or maybe it's me. Maybe what I'm really looking for has been inside me all along

The problem with that theory though is that I'm not a full white :smith:

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 5, 2017

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

White girls are easy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's cool, I think I actually ended up with a B overall in that class. He was extremely weird and nothing like that happened again.

loving poo poo christ!!!!!!

Greatest symbol of our country is our flag on the loving moon.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

The Great Mestizo! posted:

I'm not a full white :smith:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

The problem with that theory though is that I'm not a full white :smith:

Double hybrid babies. . . so cute!

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Sheep-Goats posted:

Greatest symbol of our country is our flag on the loving moon.

The greatest symbol of my country is a sugary syrup poured on pancakes :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Imperialist Dog posted:

The greatest symbol of my country is a sugary syrup poured on pancakes :canada:

Or maybe your flag on the pack of a blonde backpacker girl from Nevada.

• Locked thread