Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How much mythril will we get before the 14 banners go away? I wanna make one more 11-pull on banner 1 - chasing that healing BSB, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

1st AD posted:

How much mythril will we get before the 14 banners go away? I wanna make one more 11-pull on banner 1 - chasing that healing BSB, dammit!

well, there's another 6 days before it ends, so that's 7-8 daily mythril. The FFXIII event starting tomorrow gives us another 10. So that's 17-18, assuming you've already done all the current events and grabbed the mythril from the greens store.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah, so I guess I can make it - currently sitting at 24, can probably manage to pull more mythril by running dungeons.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Need to start building up a mage team. I only really have OSB Terra and I guess BSB Hope and SSB Alphinaud to work with plus BSB Vanille and BSB Y'shtola. I accumulated around 20ish of most Major orbs from the fest.

What skills should I be looking to craft first to really get this going? Are any of the chain spells more practical than the others?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda want to pull on this last OS banner for another shot at the Onion Gauntlets, but is there enough other good stuff to get excited about or would that just be a chase pull?

don't do what I did, that way lies sadness and 100 Mythril in flames

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Scraped out a close champion on ultimate Exdeath, I was afraid I'd be totally screwed with a physical team, but he only used dispel counter once at the last 5% of his health and died right after :sweatdrop:

I need to figure out where to drop mith to best support a mage team given that I just got the onion gauntlets. Not sure if that's another pass at FFXIV or wait for something else coming up. I need to take a look at what mage sbs I have first.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda want to pull on this last OS banner for another shot at the Onion Gauntlets, but is there enough other good stuff to get excited about or would that just be a chase pull?

"Excited"? No, not by a long shot. Other than the Gauntlets, which truly are a game-changer, you mainly pull on this if whiffing on the Gauntlets would still serve some purpose such as shoring up your I, II or XIII synergy for CMs or if you're desperate for an ATK/MAG buff, went deep on the XIV banner and came up short on Deployment Tactics but got enough out of it that more pulls would be too risky. On the bright side, Lustrous Shield isn't terrible and I synergy is rare as balls, Flame Fossil and Physician's Staff give you a pair of XIII CM workhorse SBs and Gungnir gives you a solid buff on a character that's glued to your II CM teams by virtue of having Support 5 anyway. Even Bomb Core is useful in its native realm, though on a considerably less pivotal character in a realm chock full of 'em. On the downside, Soulrender is strictly for I CMs and those come around about once a year, Gabranth's Hauberk is for those with dire XII synergy only and Eagletalon shows up on an overall more focused banner in just a few days. I would only pull on this if nothing was a dupe and my synergy for the represented realms was abysmal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Speaking of OK, I only have a single mote of his. Are his motes ever coming back or am I screwed?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

"Excited"? No, not by a long shot. Other than the Gauntlets, which truly are a game-changer, you mainly pull on this if whiffing on the Gauntlets would still serve some purpose such as shoring up your I, II or XIII synergy for CMs or if you're desperate for an ATK/MAG buff, went deep on the XIV banner and came up short on Deployment Tactics but got enough out of it that more pulls would be too risky. On the bright side, Lustrous Shield isn't terrible and I synergy is rare as balls, Flame Fossil and Physician's Staff give you a pair of XIII CM workhorse SBs and Gungnir gives you a solid buff on a character that's glued to your II CM teams by virtue of having Support 5 anyway. Even Bomb Core is useful in its native realm, though on a considerably less pivotal character in a realm chock full of 'em. On the downside, Soulrender is strictly for I CMs and those come around about once a year, Gabranth's Hauberk is for those with dire XII synergy only and Eagletalon shows up on an overall more focused banner in just a few days. I would only pull on this if nothing was a dupe and my synergy for the represented realms was abysmal.

Hmm, that's a tough spot. The only dupe I could get is Physician's Staff, which would admittedly suck pretty bad. My XIII synergy is pretty good, but my I, II, III, IV, and XII are...not good.

I've got:

I: No native 5*
II: Rune Axe, Artemis Bow
III: Lust Dagger, Elder Staff
IV: No native 5*
XII: Stoneblade, Aldebaran

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

victrix posted:

Speaking of OK, I only have a single mote of his. Are his motes ever coming back or am I screwed?

You can get them from the FFIII mote boss, Ahriman.

He's a fucker.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How often does the mote dungeon reoccur? I'm not sure I've beaten any of them yet. I'm guessing I'm at or near the power needed to do it though, I've been full clearing the ultimates and beat my first nightmare not too long ago.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Attestant posted:

You can get them from the FFIII mote boss, Ahriman.

He's a fucker.

Alphinaud with BSB eats Ahriman for breakfast.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm considering r3 full break just because I like to pair it with affliction break, and unless you're an actual crazy person you're limited to 2 charges on that.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I have enough 5* support users with cool poo poo that I don't have to worryabout that. Just use faris, 5* thief is mad dps and you can dive her for 5* dancer and 4* mechanist. Put affliction break on one support, and fullbreak on the other.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bomb Core is better as an RW than native since you can abuse the self-doom. Of course, that's not always going to be useful

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Oh man the screen after this android update is AWFUL looking

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pander posted:

I think R3 is a reasonable investment for longer bosses. I like swapping between FB and a breakdown on Ramza, so ensuring nearly 100% uptime on FB is a good thing in my book.

Most bosses don't need full break early in the fight Especially if you have breakdown and/or other debuffs on the boss.

Or you end up with a decent full breakdown relic and just stop running full break entirely. Shame that Noel needs to bring Full Charge or some other 5* skill in order to do decent damage, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Whew that Apocalypse Gilgamesh fight was a real pisser, even with a shitload of mitigation and healers. Though honestly my party was probably a bit too light on DPS. That Zantetsuken spam at the very end was some bullshit, but luckily it only insta-gibbed one full-health Tyro and we had a backup Wall. Other than that nobody ever got below 75% health because we had Y'Shtola and Vanille's BSBs going off non-stop.

Honestly the scariest part was worrying about DCing in the middle of the fight, because it was long as poo poo.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just finished the D250 Torment. Christ did that take forever. My main offense was Cecil spamming Paladin Force and Agrias using Hallowed Bolt. Zell was there to boost our crits. Thank god I got Y'shtola's BSB, don't see any way I would have lasted without that.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I used r3 Full Break more when I didn't have as many good SBs and I relied on high hones to get me through long fights. Anymore I'll rarely use 4 charges much less six, but if you're in the same boat I was r3 Full Break isn't a bad investment.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Most bosses don't need full break early in the fight Especially if you have breakdown and/or other debuffs on the boss.

Or you end up with a decent full breakdown relic and just stop running full break entirely. Shame that Noel needs to bring Full Charge or some other 5* skill in order to do decent damage, though.

If you have Noel's bsb, dive him for 5* thief. Thief is a very good damaging skillset, and having a bsb for a character is one extremely solid reason to dive that character.

Also 4* white magic on a thief is kinda neat. He'd be super sufficient with protega/shellga and either thief's revenge or the new upcoming 5* skills.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm really proud of myself for only pulling twice over this whole holiday pile of banners. Once on the banner that had Refia's glove and Kain's spear (I got both) and a could-not-resist pull on the crazy FF14 banner which got me Minfilia's BSB, another Thyrus, and Aetherial Pulse.

I'm going to have 200+ myhtril by the time FFT hits and I'm going loving ham on it :f5:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sprite141 posted:

If you have Noel's bsb, dive him for 5* thief. Thief is a very good damaging skillset, and having a bsb for a character is one extremely solid reason to dive that character.

Also 4* white magic on a thief is kinda neat. He'd be super sufficient with protega/shellga and either thief's revenge or the new upcoming 5* skills.

Noel isn't fast enough for a 5-hit Thief Revenge.

He can use the future Poison Leaf or Gust Slash, but right now he doesn't have much actual reason to be dived.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm really proud of myself for only pulling twice over this whole holiday pile of banners. Once on the banner that had Refia's glove and Kain's spear (I got both) and a could-not-resist pull on the crazy FF14 banner which got me Minfilia's BSB, another Thyrus, and Aetherial Pulse.

I'm going to have 200+ myhtril by the time FFT hits and I'm going loving ham on it :f5:

Wish I had the wherewithal to not pull on banner V given my paltry returns, since FFT is my jam.

I might whale an 11-pull on Cid OSB at this rate.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Noel isn't fast enough for a 5-hit Thief Revenge.

He can use the future Poison Leaf or Gust Slash, but right now he doesn't have much actual reason to be dived.

Ah! Right I forgot about his in ability to thief's revenge. But overall the newer skills are better dps anyway (with a dagger), and hit elemental weaknesses.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
If you use the 5 mythril you got today on the overstrike single pull you'll get hopes osb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pander posted:

Wish I had the wherewithal to not pull on banner V given my paltry returns, since FFT is my jam.

I might whale an 11-pull on Cid OSB at this rate.

Depending on what my 4 pulls get me I might throw gems at another pull. I really want Agrias (and hopefully Orlandeau) kitted out.

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.
Apparently Celes makes short work of Ultima Weapon... 32k damage a turn with Maria's Song will do it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Not a weapon and it's for a character I already have an SB for. Ah well, it was always a possibility, and it looks solid enough. Dunno if I should do another draw on banner 2, a pull on banner 1 or just call it good since I have no attachment to these characters. When's the next XIV event?

Edit: the info page lists the SB as Bootshine T. Strike Demolish which is a way better name than True Demolition, what the hell

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 5, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sprite141 posted:

I usually gave Noel Shellga and lifesiphon/whatever because before I got Y'shtola's BSB I was running Tidus/Ramza/Noel/Vaan/Tyro with WHM BSBs for my RW. Vaan carries thief's revenge since Mug Bloodlust wasn't really making much difference due to the sheer volume of atk/def mitigation that was already going out and Vaan being able to heal himself while doing better damage was nice.

Noel is only 4 hits with Thief's Revenge at lvl 80 as well IIRC.

Tidus/Ramza/Vaan/Tyro/Y'shtola is a pretty great setup now too. If I had a Keeper's Tome for Tyro I'd probably figure out some setup to have them split Wall duties while working both BSBs in to the rotation since the team would be self-sufficient forever once their BSBs were up and running. Without relying on hit-and-run BS since that seems tedious and awful.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Did a pull on XIV 2 for fun. Got Temple Cycles, off-banner FF7 Circlet, and Ifrit's Kris, which is going to be attached to Refia for the rest of her life and make her even more powerful. I'm happy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Whew. Managed to beat Ultima Weapon. The key was not being stingy with Ovelia's Magic Blink and actually using it as soon as I got it. Hard bosses all around in this event, though. Can't wait to go back to more traditional Ultimates tomorrow.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's not quite Refia BSB levels of murder but this is gonna be fun. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Boy oh boy, I love putting a Paralyze Resist accessory and Esuna on a character, only for them to be the only one to get paralyzed, over and over again. :thumbsup:

In other news, I absolutely have no reason that I should be having to S/L this many times on this CM, but Ultimate Sheet of Ice is being a salty bitch.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Is it just me or is the new MP easier than Gilgamesh was? Mastered both with the first party I went in with and we cleared without any fuss.

I forget how I got Gilgamesh's burst (dollar pull or lucky banner) but at the time I wasn't very excited about it. Now he's my frontline go-to for MP and it's pretty great (except when another knight shows up and uses Gaia's Cross, don't do that you dummy I have retaliate up :argh:).

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Papi's stardust rod on dollar pull :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Boy oh boy, I love putting a Paralyze Resist accessory and Esuna on a character, only for them to be the only one to get paralyzed, over and over again. :thumbsup:

In other news, I absolutely have no reason that I should be having to S/L this many times on this CM, but Ultimate Sheet of Ice is being a salty bitch.

Affliction Break is your friend. You don't even have to bring Magic Breakdown so Yda/Minfilia have a free slot!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Affliction Break is your friend. You don't even have to bring Magic Breakdown so Yda/Minfilia have a free slot!

:doh: Somehow that didn't even occur to me, and I took Mental Breakdown to up the DPS instead.

I probably should have packed Affliction Break on Minfilia then and am kicking myself for not doing such. :saddowns:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

My first "complete" character. Feels good to have quite a punchman, even if he is a bit too much into hotdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I dunno whether I was lucky or whether this was just well suited to my group composition, because I had no issues with this fight besides Y'shtola dying at the very end and an initial reload to grab a source of poison. Between that and Alphinaud's Delployment Tactics, I ended up doing a lot of damage to the boss without investing actions. (Unfortunately I couldn't include the whole crew of six, so despite also being level 80 Thancred had to be tossed.)

• Locked thread