Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yami Fenrir posted:

Oh, it wasn't for a lack of trying. I NEVER found a single MR+ item. I lacked range, yes, but I never got a single MR+ item. I had, however, a randart +7 handaxe giving me rP+, a randart leather armor giving me rF+, a chainmail giving me rC+ ... and 3 rings, one for each of those again. :shepicide.

My problem was that I made it to around the vault entrance and was starting to run into stuff I couldn't handle. so I decided to clear Lair, and then tried both spider nest and shoals, but neither really worked out.

I can almost guarantee that the +7 handaxe wasn't your best possible weapon.

The usual rule of thumb is that +2 slaying is worth around 1 point of base damage. A handaxe has 7 base damage, which means a +7 handaxe does less damage than even a +0 war axe, which has 11 base damage (and I can almost guarantee you've found a war axe or better by shoals).

I think, though I'm not 100% sure, that this gets more extreme at high strength, skills, or when the weapons are branded (with vorpal/ice/fire), because those are multipliers on base damage, and the slaying bonus is added afterwards. I could be wrong on that though, the crawl damage formula is completely impenetrable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

cheetah7071 posted:

The usual rule of thumb is that +2 slaying is worth around 1 point of base damage. A handaxe has 7 base damage, which means a +7 handaxe does less damage than even a +0 war axe, which has 11 base damage (and I can almost guarantee you've found a war axe or better by shoals).

I think, though I'm not 100% sure, that this gets more extreme at high strength, skills, or when the weapons are branded (with vorpal/ice/fire), because those are multipliers on base damage, and the slaying bonus is added afterwards. I could be wrong on that though, the crawl damage formula is completely impenetrable.

Oh, yes, I am aware. I just listed it as part of my resistances. I upgraded to a +4 great mace of distortion as I mentioned earlier. I wasn't aware that the +7 wasn't 1:1 though, thanks!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

cheetah7071 posted:

Allow purple meat to provide satiation. Not really sure why it doesn't.

You want to only be able to eat the purple a maximum of twice at any time before it says "stop you're too full"?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would literally fall in love with any dev that adds a line to weapon item boxes along the lines of "with your current skill levels, this weapon will deal approximately N damage [plus M fire/ice/electric damage] per hit, reduced by enemy armor"

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

As I understand it, base damage is twice as good (on average) as slaying when you have 27 in both your weapon skill and fighting. So around midgame, if you have 16 weapon skill and 11 fighting (for example) it would be about 1.5 times as good as slaying, again on average.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Well you kinda have to talk about delay then also, slaying on a faster thing is worth more. At low skill, a fast weapon with a bunch of slaying is going to be stronger than a higher base damage but really slow weapon. For an extreme example, the dark maul (ehehehe) is not the be-all, end-all mace.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Do slime creatures lose effects on them when they combine? Just had a pair that I'd breathed sticky flame on combine and the resulting creature wasn't on fire.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
How good is the sword of power?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not amazing. You need 270 HP to get it to its full enchantment level and as soon as you go below that it starts falling off in damage rapidly. So the number of characters that can use it to its full potential is very limited. Even at +27 though is not much better than an upgraded triple sword since it lacks a damage brand. Not necessarily useless, but if you want to use it you're gonna need to be a really bulky character and have a back up weapon for when your HP starts to drop.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The sword of power is one of those unfortunate fixedarts that is outclassed by a regular +9 branded good weapon but also isn't that good if you find it early. A small number of fixedart weapons are top tier choices, a lot of them get outmatched by the +9 good brand but are a fantastic find early on (like doom knight), and some are like the sword of power or finisher where they are just not very good.

(Maybe finisher is good if you found it on d5? +5 and speed probably makes it better than a regular +0 glaive even with scythe stats but I never use polearms so idk)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't really get the point of bad fixedarts. I mean I understand that it would be broken and poor game design for them to be universally good no-brainers, but some of them just seem like traps for gimping people who don't know better. Is that the point?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Most of the bad fixedarts have been removed. Most of them remaining ones are at worst mediocre and usually still really good if you find one early on.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 5, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't really get the point of bad fixedarts. I mean I understand that it would be broken and poor game design for them to be universally good no-brainers, but some of them just seem like traps for gimping people who don't know better. Is that the point?

no, they're just overlooked.

note also that finisher is good, and not bad.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The obsidian axe and shield of the gong will never not be fun for a very brief time.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Scythe of curses is really good just because of how many friendly reapers it shoots out. (if you find it early)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

redneck nazgul posted:

The obsidian axe and shield of the gong will never not be fun for a very brief time.

Beating the game with the obsidian axe while following Yredemnul was pretty drat fun. You get an army of undead and demons.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

no, they're just overlooked.

note also that finisher is good, and not bad.

I volunteer to fix all bad fixedarts and also create lots of new good ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've got this idea for a fixedart called the Crown of Eternal Torment.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Patches welcome!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Done. Will implement tomorrow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bring back Crown of Ete...

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, thank ya'

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Call it the Crown of Torment Eternal, mind you, otherwise the other devs will catch on. :ssh:

Sword of Power might be alright if it had a min enchantment or differently scaled so that having half HP (a la torment) isn't generally an automatic halving of the enchantment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Scale its damage with HP missing instead of HP. So it still gets up to max when you get 271 hp....and 1 health.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Scale its damage with HP missing instead of HP. So it still gets up to max when you get 271 hp....and 1 health.

Didn't Augmentation used to do this and it was awful? I've heard the same about sanguine armour but haven't had that yet (too many non-crawl games want playing).

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I'm still convinced there is some screwy interaction between purple chunks and trolls because I think from maybe 50 chunks across a few games I got like bad or neutral mutations.

I was playing TrMo on the Council God trunk and got two types of scales, thicker fur, and +Str in one round of eating purple chunks. I would have had rPoison too, but the last chunk I ate took it away. It was the best mutation roulette I ever had on a character.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
And now we have a new race.

Manual posted:

Barachians are an amphibious humanoid race, said to be distantly related to the Elves. Spawned in great numbers beneath the southern ice, their Mother-Father sends them forth to destroy and pillage the civilized lands.

Barachians' most remarkable trait is their grossly overmuscled legs, which allow them to leap remarkable distances. When not leaping, they are somewhat slow-moving and their attributes are poor, but they do have considerable flexibility in skill choice.

Barachians are frog guys. They can swim, move at 1.1, but have a Hop active ability that is a semi-controlled blink - you can target a space within 4 (5 at XL 13+) spaces and land within 2 tiles of that. They get +1 Fighting, Long Blades, Stealth, Summonings, Ice Magic and Invocations; -1 Polearms, Slings, Bows, Crossbows, Throwing, Necromancy, and Earth Magic; and 0 everything else. Their base stats aren't very good - same total as a ghoul but more balanced. They have no locked gear slots.

Hop seems real good, but they don't seem very powerful outside that. I'm going to have to try one of these, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Those guys sound really fun. Frogs are cool too so good theme for a race. They totally should have an auxillary tongue slap attack though :colbert:

EDIT: No wait, give them innate apportation so they can grab items from anywhere on the screen with their tongue! :pcgaming1:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 6, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can Felids get pounce back then?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Internet Kraken posted:

Those guys sound really fun. Frogs are cool too so good theme for a race. They totally should have an auxillary tongue slap attack though :colbert:

EDIT: No wait, give them innate apportation so they can grab items from anywhere on the screen with their tongue! :pcgaming1:

I almost won a Frog in experimental, but an OoF gave me teleportitis in the Lungs. They're totally solid, and could at most use good ranged apts to help with the slow. (Though apportion is a sweet mini-buff too)

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

logger posted:

I was playing TrMo on the Council God trunk and got two types of scales, thicker fur, and +Str in one round of eating purple chunks. I would have had rPoison too, but the last chunk I ate took it away. It was the best mutation roulette I ever had on a character.

There was supposed to be a number 6 in that post, 6 bad/neutral out of 50.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I can live with frogmen as a replacement to high elves, but they badly need a better name than Barachian.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Obfuscation posted:

I can live with frogmen as a replacement to high elves, but they badly need a better name than Barachian.

Gowachin!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Prism posted:

And now we have a new race.

yessss

him name is hopkin green frog

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Obfuscation posted:

Gero-Geros

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

Anuran (after the order 'anura')

e: no no call them Hopkins

e2: brb suiciding my stupid mummy game so I can play a Hopkin

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 6, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anuran (after the order 'anura')

e: no no call them Hopkins

e2: brb suiciding my stupid mummy game so I can play a Hopkin

I like Anuran a lot honestly. An.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Hoppits

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

me rn:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I actually just remembered a n idea from one of my pre-alarm hazes had a few days ago. It was for a new alternative branch:

The Dreamworld
It would show up to hold the last postgame-rune in games where you get Hells but not Pan, if that situation gets implemented.

The walls & floor would look like fluffy clouds, and it would be kinda abyss-y in how it changed but there would be lots of Dream Sheep and flying enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How does the frog not have apportation by tongue? Seriously lacking IMO.

• Locked thread