Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Donald Trump Plans Revamp of Top U.S. Spy Agency - The Wall Street Journal
https://apple.news/AkPzpSAb_SniU4SjBuKsp7Q

So um yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well that's legitimately terrifying.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh good.

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The proposed budget is loving hilarious. They propose adding $9 trillion to the deficit over nine years, with it getting progressively bigger every year and capping out at $1 trillion in 2026.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So um yeah...

He's gonna be found face down in a taco bowl isnt he? This seems.... unwise.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TBeats posted:

The proposed budget is loving hilarious. They propose adding $9 trillion to the deficit over nine years, with it getting progressively bigger every year and capping out at $1 trillion in 2026.

:staredog:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So um yeah...

:dogbutton:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

Deficit spending only destroys the country and hurts our freedoms when the other guys do it silly. Now let me tell you how the Obama Economy was so bad from 2008 until Trump and how removing all the regulations and imposing tariffs is the only way to fix things.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yo if things continue like this you are legitimately hosed as is probably the rest of the free world

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Two Finger posted:

yo if things continue like this you are legitimately hosed as is probably the rest of the free world

It had to end some time

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Two Finger posted:

Sort of relevant, but I love this picture

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It had to end some time

WHY CAN'T HE JUST BE COMICALLY INCOMPETENT

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The worst part is most of these schmucks will probably be dead by the time the poo poo they hosed comes back to bite the country in the rear end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He is. All of this stuff is a result of his ego being hurt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no comically incompetent is where he's just a buffoon that accomplishes nothing rather than actively destroying everything around him

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Two Finger posted:

WHY CAN'T HE JUST BE COMICALLY INCOMPETENT

Turn that frown upside down! After the extinction event rain comes the evolutionary radiation rainbow!

1.5 million years from now, Octopus sapiens will thank us for having given them the opportunity to inherit the Earth.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

If your policy or position can't be stated clearly and concisely in 140 characters or less, then it's completely worthless and not worth sha

:golfclap:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You know, I'd prefer Mike Pence at this point. It's obvious Trump is going to roll over on everything domestically, so there's not much of a difference between the two of them outside of Pence at least knowing how government works. He has a son in the Marines so at least he has a stake in this game and probably less inclined to do anything batshit crazy foreign policy wise.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So um yeah...

Wow, that's certainly a thing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So um yeah...

If I was lower level CIA I'd start looking at a new line of work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why do we need the CIA when we have Russian intelligence?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm going to enjoy a very-leaky CIA that's pissed like hell at Donnie.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

He is. All of this stuff is a result of his ego being hurt.

Narcissism 101. All the intelligence agencies are saying things that are taking away from the grandeur of his victorious conquest, so they are bad. They must be hurt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Narcissism 101. All the intelligence agencies are saying things that are taking away from the grandeur of his victorious conquest, so they are bad. They must be hurt.

:negative:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My favorite excuse is "WELL LOOK WHAT THE INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES SAID ABOUT WMDS IN IRAQISTAN"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I wouldn't discount Flynn's influence here, especially if you apply the "Trump's opinion is that of the last person he talked to" interpretation. The few details in that article are pretty vague, but seem to imply a reduced analytical function and increased gathering/operations function - and Flynn has wanted to control covert operations for a long time. Less analysis also suits Trump/Flynn - they probably don't think they require it, in the vein of other paranoid, vengeful leaders.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no seriously i got nothing funny to say i'm just like what the actual gently caress is wrong with this world

oh and charlie brooker's 2016 wipe wasn't so much funny as absolutely devastating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XanyPq5BcoA

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

And here I was hoping the intelligence community wouldn't be affected by the hiring freeze. Oh how naive I was.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

And here I was hoping the intelligence community wouldn't be affected by the hiring freeze. Oh how naive I was.

They won't be. Positions deemed critical to national security or the operation of the federal government will continue to be filled.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

psydude posted:

They won't be. Positions deemed critical to national security or the operation of the federal government will continue to be filled.

I mean let's hope? I fear that that's optimistic at this point.

Oh well. More time to putz around in the private sector I guess.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Trump secretary of state eyes $180m payout to cut Exxon ties

quote:

The arrangement will mean Rex Tillerson meets the conflict of interest requirements for the role, Exxon said.
The firm said it would cancel the two million shares Mr Tillerson was due to receive as part of its executive pay programme and put the equivalent cash into an independently managed trust.
Mr Tillerson left Exxon on 31 December.
The payout, which will only take place if Mr Tillerson is confirmed in the new role, is aimed at addressing concerns the former Exxon executive could favour the oil giant, or his own interests while in office.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

christ at least try to hide your gigantic payouts to your mates

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

missed this 4 pages ago, christ this thread moves quick

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

To be fair, the inevitable government welfare for Exxon will make that $180m look like lunch money, so they'll be happy to pay it to shut up the one journalist asking questions between Trump tweets.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Two Finger posted:

christ at least try to hide your gigantic payouts to your mates

Nah, to his credit he complied with the guidelines of the OGE (or whoever it is that manages financial ties for appointees) and put all of his assets into a blind trust, in addition to selling off all of his shares of Exxon and agreeing to not work in the energy sector for 10 years following his leaving office.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean let's hope? I fear that that's optimistic at this point.

Oh well. More time to putz around in the private sector I guess.
Are you willing to sign off on some dubious poo poo because Papa Flynn might just have a job for you. God I hate that loving traitor piece of poo poo so much.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Can't wait to check out e-Chirp.

For those non-IC folks, e-Chirp is essentially Twitter on the high side. It was intended to be an information sharing platform, but like all social media devolved into memes and pissing contests. It is, however, a somewhat useful tool to gauge the pulse of the IC to see what the worker bees are thinking and not necessarily what the policy makers are saying. And before OPSEC Wizard says something, this is all public knowledge.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Lazy Reservist posted:

Can't wait to check out e-Chirp.

For those non-IC folks, e-Chirp is essentially Twitter on the high side. It was intended to be an information sharing platform, but like all social media devolved into memes and pissing contests. It is, however, a somewhat useful tool to gauge the pulse of the IC to see what the worker bees are thinking and not necessarily what the policy makers are saying. And before OPSEC Wizard says something, this is all public knowledge.

As a non-IC guy I liked e-Chirp because it was a good source for breaking stuff that would normally take a week or so to work it's way through like 3 iterations of an admiral's staff brief and be chopped all to hell. Also it was useful for finding stuff on high side because searching blindly is so loving painful.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The confirmation hearings are going to be interesting if even the new CIA director nominee is getting these kind of questions from the media (and not answering them):

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/816823925623623684

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NSA WIZARD posted:

gently caress

I'm so glad you regged these gimmick accounts for these very important situations,

Just know that you're noticed, in case you thought nobody cared or loved you,

Because they don't.

• Locked thread