Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/badboicasey/status/816756477805338624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Push the fat guy with the bowl cut to the moon

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the bastard child of shinya hashimoto and atsushi onita

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/775899360160804864

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
0 new posts an hour into this week's episode.

Maybe they should rethink the whole "put month-old house shows on the Network" idea.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS https://twitter.com/WWE/status/816827742490595328

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

happy for heidi

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Benne posted:

Maybe they should rethink the whole "put month-old house shows on the Network" idea.

I'm watching vOv

but I"m never the type that posts in gameday threads anyway. It's a fun episode, really like the crowd interactions in the Roode/Samson Dillinger/Murphy match.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benne posted:

I would but I have pick up basketball until 845 and then I eat at this bar with my Dad's friends

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I dunno if it was the crowd or Billie Kay's interaction with them, but I really got a kick of that 3 way with Liv, Billie, and Ember. It was a fun match and loads better than most NXT TV women's matches.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Honestly they should ditch Full Sail or make it a big house show and the taped NXT show is them touring the country because this and the Osaka episode were much better than most NXT episodes last year

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Agreed.

I wonder if the lack of posts here is indicative of a larger trend among the Network/NXT audience. It seems to be consistent with looking at this week's threads on SquaredCircle too. Sure, it's not as good as it was at it's peak, but at it's peak it was probably the best wrestling show on the planet. Right now, it's still good but with clear flaws. I'd put it above Raw, but below/on par with Smackdown. So to me, the huge apparent dropoff just seems a little strange.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Disappointed they cut part of Samson's song, probably due to the endless "SHUT THE gently caress UP" chants. I do like the return of the running "Buddy Murphy's life sucks" joke, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The last two weeks have just been Japan and Melbourne which were basically house shows. Right? I haven't watched them yet because they feel like filler for the holidays, but I'll watch them eventually. When the actual weekly show is happening again I'll watch like normal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

They just need to really work out the log jam that occurs in the main event scene, stop making the title matches happen at Takeovers or at least have smaller feuds that lead to title matches occur during the tapings. That and stop giving the title to men past their prime/constantly half assing it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I used to be a devout live viewer/poster but I dunno, after Toronto I just kinda went to a "read results, go back and watch a segment if it jumped out at me" attitude like with Raw and SD. Not really on purpose I guess, but IDK. I'm sick of Joe vs Nak, I got my personal Big NXT Payoff of GarCiamp winning the straps, I guess I am just not hype for it anymore, you know?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think they badly miscalculated how much people want to watch house shows on the Network. The biggest appeal of house shows is being there live and in the building, and it loses a lot of its magic when you're just watching it on TV, with obvious edits and commercial breaks. The main roster ran into the same problem when they put an MSG show on the Network last year.

We're only a few weeks away from San Antonio and they're just dicking around with these tapings instead of building a card. There is zero forward momentum for the brand right now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

achillesforever6 posted:

That and stop giving the title to men past their prime/constantly half assing it.

Who are these guys

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Aside from the tag division, NXT is definitely not doing enough outside the title scenes, which have been pretty barren for a long time. The Men's Title scene just being Joe/Nakamura for so long got boring despite all the matches being excellent, and it's not getting better with the way they seem to insist on all their non-title matches being either 'big indie guy vs other big indie guy' or 'debuting big indie guy vs clear jobber' with very little buildup or storyline. The women's scene has just been dire since Bayley got called up. There's no-one who presents a credible threat to Asuka at the moment, and their best potential condender (Ember Moon) is stuck playing sidekick to Liv Morgan with no real focus.
I also hate that they usually don't even try to introduce any of their debuting indie guys; Roderick Strong and Big Damo both came on as just "oh my god phillips it's this guy! wow, how amazing!" which leaves people who haven't watched their work before with nothing to go on. It doesn't help the wrestlers, either; look at Andrade Almas' reception, for example. As a whole, NXT basically just seems to be coasting along on their reputation of "the good wrestling show" without actually doing anything to earn it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Who are these guys
I love Samoa Joe but he is past his prime and was very close in my most overrated ballot for the PSP awards because of how heavily he was used in the NXT main event scene in 2016, Nakamura since the Zayn match has been basically wrestling like he is bored and is complacent in giving the crowd a "Best of Nakamura" experience since they pop for that, and Bobby Roode is old and he better thank CFO every day since that theme song is the only thing keeping his boring dry rear end over.

Ideally you would have Tommy End, Roddy, and Cien mixing it up in the main event scene, but the show moves at a glacial pace that everyone has to wait their turn on the convener belt of Get a Title match, win title, rematch for 2 more Takeovers, and rinse and repeat with the next guy. They need triple threat or fatal fourway title matches.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Basically, look at NXT's best era. What were the driving storylines in that time? Beloved babyfaces making a slow, agonizing climb up the ladder, and then finally getting there (Sami Zayn, Bayley, they even got it right with DIY). Sasha Banks sorta fits the story even if she was a heel, and Becky Lynch got herself over in one night after losing to Sasha.

Once the focus shifted to "dream matches" and indy-esque supercards, NXT lost a lot of its soul. Who's making their journey right now? Who even has a story right now? "Cool Indy Guys take turns holding the belt" isn't a story, and it's not what got me into NXT in the first place.

They have the most obvious loving story staring them in the face. Roode beats Nak and sends him off to the Rumble, Tye fights his way to No. 1 contender with all the odds-overcoming narratives you can muster, and then Tye finally beats Roode on Mania weekend. That's the babyface redemption journey that made NXT what it is, and I guarantee it'll blow the roof off at Orlando.

I have no confidence they'll do that, because they're too obsessed with the next Cool Indy Guy waiting his turn in line.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Benne posted:

Once the focus shifted to "dream matches" and indy-esque supercards, NXT lost a lot of its soul. Who's making their journey right now? Who even has a story right now? "Cool Indy Guys take turns holding the belt" isn't a story, and it's not what got me into NXT in the first place.

TM 61 I guess? I mean at least as of Toronto. They're coming up. I mean they lost but they're coming up.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

projecthalaxy posted:

TM 61 I guess? I mean at least as of Toronto. They're coming up. I mean they lost but they're coming up.

Eh, I guess, but they really need to put more effort into getting those guys over.

I like TM61, they always have good matches, but they ran into the same problem as the rest of the indy guys, where NXT just goes "here are some indy guys, you like them apparently!" and there's never a Step 2 in building them up as Real Characters we want to feel invested in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

No I super agree. I know a lot of indies and old style territories run off of "look who came to town to fight our guy" (our guy is either Dillinger or Blake at this point i guess?) but it gets old when its not local shows in your town but the global pseudo-monopoly? Does that make sense? It gets dull.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Benne posted:

Roode beats Nak and sends him off to the Rumble, Tye fights his way to No. 1 contender with all the odds-overcoming narratives you can muster, and then Tye finally beats Roode on Mania weekend. That's the babyface redemption journey that made NXT what it is, and I guarantee it'll blow the roof off at Orlando.
yes

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
NXT would probably benefit from having some sort of Gift of the Gods type secondary belt. It would at least give the directionless midcard something to occupy themselves with and would inject at least a bit of short-term unpredictability into the title picture. Also, if the typical three-match title feud isn't landing it'd be an easy way to call an audible and change direction.

I dunno. There's too many directionless feuds with no real stories beyond "hopefully the fans will chant 'fight forever' at Rod Strong v. Biff Busick."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was making these complaints two weeks ago!! Though I do contend that Tye isn't the guy to make his way up the ladder. While I like the guy and feel for him when scuttlebutt says he lacks the confidence of management, I don't disagree with them. I've wanted something extra from Tye and he hasn't been giving it to me - it could be that he's not being written stuff that would allow him the kind of face fire that Zayn effortlessly summons when falling short of the mark, or it could be that he's just not that great at selling the character.

Maybe we've yet to see him in a spot where he can break through as a face, but I haven't seen it yet. Right now I think of him as a Zack Ryder - perfectly fine in the ring but lacking the it regardless of how he's booked. But none of that matters, anyway. The good old days of NXT were great but we're past them. Since Owens came in and jumped the line the show has become another brand, rather than a developmental program, and the aspirational qualities inherent to it (and its explicit purpose as a proving ground to the main roster) have vanished. The title lineage becoming Neville->Zayn->Owens->Balor->Joe->Nakamura->Joe->Nakamura->...-> Tye just looks wrong.

From Sami's loss onwards we stopped getting real chases. People started debuting and going to the front of the line, and the audience has consistently been trained since then that if you weren't in that category, you didn't matter. Not only has this made it a sorry place for developmental workers like Tye, it's made guys who were ostensibly Names but didn't get main event pushes from the jump, like Almas or Roddy, look like poo poo. Even Roode's in that category - does anybody really believe he's on Nakamura's level? It's not as bad as the women's side, which is just like the men's side except it really is still developmental. All the green workers are trying to get a handle on things and losing all their heat because they're not Asuka.

The sad thing is, we can't go back. The Roddys of the world don't sign on to NXT so he could get jumped in line by a guy who's been a developmental life (short stint as an ECW jobber notwithstanding).

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I dunno, NXT did just fine without a secondary belt because the midcard guys almost always had something to do, and they pushed the fact that winning your midcard feud could propel you into the title scene. That sense of urgency is lost now, because the title scene is just a logjam of indy guys waiting their turn.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

But this is a business error, more than anything. NXT became an exciting show through its fantastic use of both guys in developmental and indie main eventers who were, by dint of having agreed to enter WWE developmental at all, second string. When it became its own brand (that is, something meant to draw houses) they correctly surmised that the old system, which was great for developmental TV, wouldn't work anymore. So they paid more money for a whole lot of indie draws and bit off way more than they could chew.

If you think NXT seems lost now, wait til Nakamura moves up to the main. I really think he and the Revival are the only two real draws on the program.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It was actually kind of surreal to watch the Dan Matha angle during Nakamura's worked injury stretch of NXT. It was an intentional joke on many levels, obviously a fakeout to make Joe seem more unhinged, a wink toward smarks who consider body guys to be worthless, those long shots of his roid acne, etc. But there was unintentional comedy there in that it brought back memories of how a sheer nobody could show up on NXT and have the chance to get over. A week or two later Steve Cutler got a promo and some matches and then vanished after getting squashed by Nakamura.

I imagine it's gotta suck if you're a PC recruit who isn't the size of Braun Stroman. You're not bypassing NXT but neither are you ever going to get on it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 5, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was actually kind of surreal to watch the Dan Matha angle during Nakamura's worked injury stretch of NXT. It was an intentional joke on many levels, obviously a fakeout to make Joe seem more unhinged, a wink toward smarks who consider body guys to be worthless, those long shots of his roid acne, etc. But there was unintentional comedy there in that it brought back memories of how a sheer nobody could show up on NXT and have the chance to get over. A week or two later Steve Cutler got a promo and some matches and then vanished after getting squashed by Nakamura.

I imagine it's gotta suck if you're a PC recruit who isn't the size of Braun Stroman. You're not bypassing NXT but neither are you ever going to get on it.

If I were a PC guy, I'd be doing all I could to get a tag partner cos that's the only way PC guys will get to be a big deal nowadays. I've said it before but try thinking of the top three singles guys in NXT who weren't a big deal elsewhere first. You've got Jose and Tye but then who? Samson? Buddy Murphy? Blake?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWEDrakeWuertz/status/816692490925436928

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I'm glad Tommy End has only wrestled 7 times in 3 and a half months. Hopefully he's finally learning how to look at a camera while wrestling so he can finally get a televised match instead of wasting months of his prime lifting weights and learning how to be Jim from The Office.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MagicCube posted:

I'm glad Tommy End has only wrestled 7 times in 3 and a half months. Hopefully he's finally learning how to look at a camera while wrestling so he can finally get a televised match instead of wasting months of his prime lifting weights and learning how to be Jim from The Office.

counterpoint: "Jim from The Office" as a gimmick complete with mid-match talking head segments sounds like a loving funny gimmick

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As someone who gets paid a salary mainly to sit and wait for other people's schedule openings, let me tell you, people should do it more often. And at my job I have to pay for my gym membership

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
I bit the bullet and got a ticket to the Tower Theater show and ended up getting a stage seat so maybe the view won't be so bad

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's on the official NXT Instagram but I'll spoiler tag it to be safe.

Hero showed up but he's still using loving Kassius Ohno as his name if the hashtag is to be believed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It's on the official NXT Instagram but I'll spoiler tag it to be safe.

Hero showed up but he's still using loving Kassius Ohno as his name if the hashtag is to be believed

he had the kassius ohno titantron and also I don't know why people are being such big babies about it

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

IcePhoenix posted:

he had the kassius ohno titantron and also I don't know why people are being such big babies about it

I just think it's a really bad name and a relic of a bygone era where notoriety outside of WWE was completely discounted. It's not something I will lose sleep over but I t feels weird in modern NXT to not use the name of arguably the most popular wrestler in the American indie scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

But to be fair, Chris Hero is a pretty dumb name itself.

• Locked thread