Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DiHK posted:

I'm like 99% sure that drafting wont work on fixies. You see, the rear gear is fixed. It does not freely spin in reverse. So sure you might get the speed benefit from drafting but it's just gonna make you pump your little legs even faster. That's why they take so long to stop; you have to apply reverse pressure against the pedals to force the rear gear/wheel to spin slower. It's a hell of a workout but I'm a big guy and shiftable gears are pretty neat, IMO. So are brakes, which work just fine on a fixie.

Also, why would you try to draft a vehicle that you cannot see around in what is apparently city traffic?

As a (somewhat) new parent all I can say is HOLY loving CHRIST WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE.

E: oh she's got a slightly older son, nbd. (dumb bitch)

Wow so much wrong in one post it hurts my brain to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

DiHK posted:

I'm like 99% sure that drafting wont work on fixies. You see, the rear gear is fixed. It does not freely spin in reverse. So sure you might get the speed benefit from drafting but it's just gonna make you pump your little legs even faster. That's why they take so long to stop; you have to apply reverse pressure against the pedals to force the rear gear/wheel to spin slower. It's a hell of a workout but I'm a big guy and shiftable gears are pretty neat, IMO. So are brakes, which work just fine on a fixie.

Also, why would you try to draft a vehicle that you cannot see around in what is apparently city traffic?

can u draft an airplane on a treadmill

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

mormonpartyboat posted:

can u draft an airplane on a treadmill

Probablly, but it wouldn't take-off unless you put a parachute on it.

JB50 posted:

Wow so much wrong in one post it hurts my brain to read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31NlbEyijGE&t=53s

Oh, look at this guy on a fixie, his legs sure are going fast.... Man he can't even keep up with that bus after it hits 40mph. Hmmm, maybe if he had a smaller gear to shift to...

DiHK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 4, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fixies are dumb as hell and fixie culture is even worse.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dienes posted:

Reptiles are simultaneously the hardest and easiest animals to train. Food is an immense reward, and they can learn with food rewards in just a few tries, but due to how they usually follow a gorge/rest pattern, you only get 1-2 trials before having to take a lot of time off. Clicker training has been a huge safety thing in zoos because it lets you move the animals or do vet checks on them without having to get in the enclosure with them or sedate them.

Along with food being a training motivator, do they treat gators like snakes? In that they feed them as much as they want before they do some sort of human interaction so they're all sluggish with goat meat?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Along with food being a training motivator, do they treat gators like snakes? In that they feed them as much as they want before they do some sort of human interaction so they're all sluggish with goat meat?

It's how I train my penis

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ethanol posted:

It's how I train my penis

If you're not training your penis through the Art of Fushigi, then you ain't trainin' it right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spankmeister posted:

Fixies are dumb as hell and fixie culture is even worse.

I knew (barely) a guy who was really into "fixie culture" and would defend them as superior every chance he got, he also got super into vaping and "parkour" or some sort of weird exercise system that seemed to always be hurting himself badly because he liked to hop around at work on his break or hop around on his fixie or vape. All the things went together perfectly as expected.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not in my experience - they won't work for food if they are stuffed. One of the labs I worked in had us training captured boas and pythons from the Everglades, roughly 9-10 feet. For training sessions, we'd give them a single mouse at a time and get through maybe 10 training trials, then give them their big meal and see them again a few weeks later. The first rule was to use a long set of tongs to feed them - if you use your hands, you'll quickly teach them that not only do hands SMELL like food, but they are the signal to strike.

Our lab also had a second rule: 1 person per 3 feet of snake you were dealing with. I mention this because it turns out if you ignore the first rule, you drat well better follow the second. 50 pounds of hungry muscle can gently caress you up right quick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We must enable....the cyber.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I was adjusting an automatic transmission on the jack to put it back in today. It was sitting on the rickety rear end jack so that it was a little front heavy. Adjusted it back to distribute it a little more evenly, with the help of another tech. Welp I guess the ratchet strap I used to hold hold it to the jack slid to a narrower part of the body and unhooked, and it fell forward. I caught it by the bell housing, but remembered all the people I know who've tried to catch falling transmissions, and the futility of putting a junkyard likely broken anyway transmission in a piece of poo poo car, said gently caress it and let it go, jumping away.

Don't try to catch a falling transmission, even though you probably will because instincts are stupid.

Edit: To clarify, I work at a car dealership. We have a passed around whore of a "universal" trans jack, it has upright posts loosely bolted on to keep it from sliding off, but they're pretty bent downward so I guess they don't work well anymore. I'll be dragging the vehicle specific massive one out of the storage room in the morning.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 5, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Seems like a pretty cool place to live.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seattle in 20 years.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

At some point isnt it cheaper to get an industrial size unit instead?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JB50 posted:

At some point isnt it cheaper to get an industrial size unit instead?

It's easier to rob a small truck your cousin is routing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DiHK posted:

It takes less effort to exert 50 foot-lbs of torque at 100 RPM than to exert 25 foot-lbs of torque at 100 RPM. Hope that helps.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Seattle in 20 years.

That place isn't sitting 200 feet at the bottom of the Pacific though????

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

It takes less effort to exert 50 foot-lbs of torque at 100 RPM than to exert 25 foot-lbs of torque at 100 RPM. Hope that helps.

And it takes even less to just stop pedaling and coast in that air pocket, but you can't, because it's a fixed gear. Are your legs capable of maintaining the RPM regardless of the torque? And if you don't have brakes can you exert enough counter torque to stop before you hit the thing you're drafting behind?

hth.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I was going to make a joke about all the concrete slopping out the back when I realised that is actually was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DiHK posted:

And it takes even less to just stop pedaling and coast in that air pocket, but you can't, because it's a fixed gear. Are your legs capable of maintaining the RPM regardless of the torque? And if you don't have brakes can you exert enough counter torque to stop before you hit the thing you're drafting behind?

Can't you just, oh I don't know, take your feet off the pedals?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DiHK posted:

hth.

You can go faster, for longer distances, while drafting on a fixed-gear bicycle than you can without drafting.

That means that it works.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes but, again, you need an bike frame parachute to get them back on.

You could also just bail... with a personal parachute of course.

Platystemon posted:

That means that it works.

Fixie bikster spotted.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, if you want to stop eventually.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

holy poo poo you petty rear end slap fight rear end in a top hat are bringing back a fixie/bicycle derail

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I know someone who has a fixie. They had brakes put on it. If the design doesn't prevent brakes from being put on it, why aren't brakes standard equipment?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volcott posted:

I know someone who has a fixie. They had brakes put on it. If the design doesn't prevent brakes from being put on it, why aren't brakes standard equipment?

If they had brakes we wouldn't get funny videos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DiHK posted:

Fixie bikster spotted.

I have never been on one in my life, friend.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT MY DAD

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You doofuses realize that you can lock up the rear wheel on a fixie pretty easy, right? Shift your weight, knees against frame and you're in a skid. It's not nearly as quick as hitting a brake lever but it's not like fixies are some unstoppable machine

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fixies are currently the one last bastion of simplified goon hate

In a world were even schmorky revelaed to be a villian, it remain something to anchor too

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breakfast Feud posted:

You doofuses realize that you can lock up the rear wheel on a fixie pretty easy, right? Shift your weight, knees against frame and you're in a skid. It's not nearly as quick as hitting a brake lever but it's not like fixies are some unstoppable machine

cool, now you have less than half the braking power of someone who has actual brakes on their bike

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i dont even ride a fixie, but the way you guys talk all genocidal about it is just loving appaling

it's like a fixie rider ran over your dog/cat/mom/pet rat/heteronormative roles/dad/grandma/grandpa/daughter/ferret/hamster/turantula/klurf

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 5, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KoRMaK posted:

i dont even ride a fixie, but the way you guys talk all genocidal about it is just loving appaling

it's like a fixie rider ran over your dog/cat/mom/pet rat/heteronormative roles/dad/grandma/grandpa/daughter/ferret/hamster/turantula/klurf

prolly more likely he stole their girlfriend.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

gently caress u i was gonna post that damnit

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dillbag posted:

gently caress u i was gonna post that damnit
hey, i dont care what side you were on before, but now, i know at least I know at worst i have someone to work across the aisle with and at best I got a dinner party invitee

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Someone please cordon off Bike Discussion with some safety tape or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

*i don my best high vis, and flap it open in acknowledgment flowingly*