Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was the Chainsaw Charlie gimmick Terry Funk's idea, or did Vince come up with it as a rib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

Was the Chainsaw Charlie gimmick Terry Funk's idea, or did Vince come up with it as a rib?

Terry said it was his last minute idea that he came up with about an hour before he appeared

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Terry said it was his last minute idea that he came up with about an hour before he appeared

Well that certainly explains a lot

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Venomous posted:

The folks that immediately come to mind are Shibata and Lesnar, seeing as they've both had great MMA careers and they could both legitimately kill someone. Other than that, afaik the New Japan dojo generally trains folks to be able to withstand shoot fighters and all that. Think there was a story about these MMA folks coming to the dojo to prove that they weren't proper fighters or whatever, only to find that the NJ dojo folks were actually really loving tough and fought them off surprisingly well. Not sure if that's just bullshit, but that's what I heard.

Most dojo kids train Kickboxing/Boxing at the very least iirc.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I heard meng could push lesnars poo poo in

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I doubt it's the case these days, but I think back in the day a large part of NJPW dojo training was just shoot sparring with each other for hours on end. As for the best real fighters in pro wrestling, Sakuraba is probably up there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Meng but would he really be more effective than like, Kimbo Slice

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mark Henry went to the Olympics and set weightlifting records in college that still stand to this day, but it took him like 15 years to become an actual good pro wrestler. I guess he's more of a "shoot strong guy" than "shoot tough fighter."

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Alain Post posted:

This is kind of where I put Meng and most wrestlers in the world of MMA, highly gifted and talented athletes competing in an area that utilizes and entirely different skill set then the ones they're trained in. Any given day I think Kimbo had a punchers chance against most other heavyweights. But honestly he was outclassed most of the time he wasn't fighting dada 5000

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

My guess is Bryan would still be wrestling, but things would be much, much worse for his long-term health than they likely will now.
I suppose it all depends on how heavy a schedule he would've wrestled outside the WWE, and for how long.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking back at the history of professional wrestling, are there many pro wrestlers who you could put in a ring with, for example, a judo guy and they'd be able to go all Ad Santel on them and win legitimately? I guess what I'm curious about is which pro wrestlers are historically (and currently) considered to be the best legitimate fighters; I've been reading a bit about the early days of pro wrestling recently and was struck by how a big reason why the Gold Dust Trio were able to establish their stranglehold on the business in its early days was because Ed Lewis was legitimately skilled enough that he could beat anyone who wouldn't follow the script.
I have a feeling that Naoya Ogawa and Bad News Brown would beat almost all judo guys.

Alain Post posted:

Probably not, no.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

poo poo I'll fight Meng and I'll loving knock his old bitch rear end out

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Now Haku, there's a dude not to mess with

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Halloween Jack posted:

Bad News Brown would beat almost all judo guys.

He wouldn't beat them, but he would go to a double count out.

In the interest of asking a question about my joke, whenever I see old Bad News Brown matches on OSW Review, they always end with double count outs or DQ finishes and stuff and the reviewers always talk about how BNB "decided not to lose" like Hogan or Savage or Shawn Michaels did. My question is how did Bad News Brown get that kind of pull, was he like a way bigger deal than he seemed?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I mean a lot of wrestlers were just tough motherfuckers who could probably win a fight just based on being tough and crazy.

Lots of the new japan guys like people have said are basically trained to fight.

Back in the day, Im pretty sure ed lewis and after him, lou thesz could rip someone's lungs out. Karl Gotch was right up there too as someone who never drew a loving dime, but could break a leg in about a half second. I'm pretty sure Roddy Piper, and his running buddies like the Funks were just nuts enough to beat someone to death, and if the stories are anything to be believed, so are/were guys like Adrian Adonis. Bad News Brown was just a bad motherfucker who could whip people's rear end. Past that there's just tough fuckers like Stan Hansen, Vader, Blackman and a handful of others. If you're talking about these days, then you got guys like Chad Gable who I'm pretty sure is at least as much of a hooker as lou thesz ever was, and could stretch the gently caress out of anyone, assuming they didn't break his head open before he got a grapple.

Also Mojo Rawley. Pretty sure he could kill muhammad ali, lou thesz, brock lesnar and giant baba all at once.

edit: re bad news not losing: according to bret hart's book, he wasn't actually a huge deal, but he was such a big personality that he had some pull. Also he was like the one black guy in the WWF that wasn't JYD

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

In the interest of asking a question about my joke, whenever I see old Bad News Brown matches on OSW Review, they always end with double count outs or DQ finishes and stuff and the reviewers always talk about how BNB "decided not to lose" like Hogan or Savage or Shawn Michaels did. My question is how did Bad News Brown get that kind of pull, was he like a way bigger deal than he seemed?

The dude was ready and willing (and Gable?) to fight Andre The Giant. Andre The Giant

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'd fight andre

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Sandman McMahon posted:

The dude was ready and willing (and Gable?) to fight Andre The Giant. Andre The Giant

To be fair to andre, by that point his back barely worked so fighting him would be like fighting a gigantic, drunk, teddy bear.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When was the last time Andre could move well and put on a good match without his opponent obviously doing the hard work? Even in the WM3 match it was pretty clear that Hogan had to bump around him and make the match good by himself.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

To be fair to andre, by that point his back barely worked so fighting him would be like fighting a gigantic, drunk, teddy bear.

Hey man, some dudes are into that sort of thing. I won't judge.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The undertaker is the best fighter because he has magic and super magic

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The undertaker is the best fighter because he has magic and super magic

Press Triangle to use Super Magic.

Also they should reform the Better Than U-Topia.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Bad News Allen was a big star in New Japan. To get him to come in Vince promised him he wouldn't portray him as a stereotype and would make him the first black WWF champion. He immediately broke both promises, but he was still a nearly top guy so he had to be protected. Eventually his wife told him he'd lost all respect for him for going along with some racist angle so he quit WWE.

Bad News Allen is legit one of the coolest dudes in wrestling history.

Side note: He claims Andre apologized to him in Mexico later in life and then in the ring poo poo himself really badly..

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I once saw the skeleton of a man with gigantism who died in his 40s. I'm not sure I would be so scared to fight Andre the Giant in 1990. (Assuming I am traveling back in time to do it. I was six.)

Platypus Farm posted:

I mean a lot of wrestlers were just tough motherfuckers who could probably win a fight just based on being tough and crazy.

Lots of the new japan guys like people have said are basically trained to fight.

Back in the day, Im pretty sure ed lewis and after him, lou thesz could rip someone's lungs out. Karl Gotch was right up there too as someone who never drew a loving dime, but could break a leg in about a half second. I'm pretty sure Roddy Piper, and his running buddies like the Funks were just nuts enough to beat someone to death, and if the stories are anything to be believed, so are/were guys like Adrian Adonis. Bad News Brown was just a bad motherfucker who could whip people's rear end. Past that there's just tough fuckers like Stan Hansen, Vader, Blackman and a handful of others. If you're talking about these days, then you got guys like Chad Gable who I'm pretty sure is at least as much of a hooker as lou thesz ever was, and could stretch the gently caress out of anyone, assuming they didn't break his head open before he got a grapple.
By far, the most commonly overlooked martial arts training among wrestlers is just being great at amateur wrestling. I believe Lesnar, Swagger, and Ziggler are the most decorated wrestlers on the WWE roster right now. Historically, just off the top of my head, Maurice Vachon, Verne Gagne, and Danny Hodge were all Olympian wrestlers, and of course, Kurt Angle. Some of the catch wrestlers you've heard of were excellent amateur wrestlers first, like Billy Robinson.

As far as wrestlers with legit MMA experience, there are too many to name here. The most notable would have to be Barnett, Sakuraba, Shamrock, Severn, Kondo, Suzuki, Funaki, Volk Han, and a few others. Santino Marella is a MMA coach now, as is Steve Blackman. A lot of guys on the current roster have done some BJJ or other martial arts, but not beyond the hobbyist level.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 5, 2017

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I once went to an Indy show in a lovely sports bar in Calgary, it had live commentary by Bad News Brown and Razor Ramon II. That is my story.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
To paraphrase Gary Albright, Bad News was an Olympic medalist in judo, and even if he was "just" a bronze, you better loving respect his skill.

Speaking of: Gary Albright strikes me as a guy who would probably not do too great in a REAL mma match, but could probably handle someone shooting on him in a grappling match.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Bad News Allen was a big star in New Japan. To get him to come in Vince promised him he wouldn't portray him as a stereotype and would make him the first black WWF champion. He immediately broke both promises, but he was still a nearly top guy so he had to be protected. Eventually his wife told him he'd lost all respect for him for going along with some racist angle so he quit WWE.

Bad News Allen is legit one of the coolest dudes in wrestling history.

Side note: He claims Andre apologized to him in Mexico later in life and then in the ring poo poo himself really badly..

Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
The Undertaker is the best pure striker in the WWE

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

If you're talking about these days, then you got guys like Chad Gable who I'm pretty sure is at least as much of a hooker as lou thesz ever was, and could stretch the gently caress out of anyone, assuming they didn't break his head open before he got a grapple.

Isn't Baron Corbin a pretty legit boxer too?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Beyond old guys talking about how terrifying Meng was, is there any actual evidence of it beyond Ed Leslie's tale of Meng biting a dude's nose off?
Because that's somewhat less "tough" and more "Incredibly Dirty Fighting"

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

ChrisBTY posted:

Beyond old guys talking about how terrifying Meng was, is there any actual evidence of it beyond Ed Leslie's tale of Meng biting a dude's nose off?
Because that's somewhat less "tough" and more "Incredibly Dirty Fighting"

There's both Steiners saying that even they wouldn't mess with him iirc.

And I think the Rock told a ton of stories about him on Kimmel when he was promoting Moana.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

extradite THIS! posted:

Isn't Baron Corbin a pretty legit boxer too?

he won some amateur golden gloves awards, i don't know how those are awarded, but he also threw some fuckin haymakers in training camp in the nfl, which i would concentrate on if i was writing his character in creative.

honestly though, he's the lone wolf, have him cut a promo about how he was good enough to make it to the nfl but he's so lone wolfy that he started decking fools in practice. i only caught the tail end of his nxt run so i don't know if that was ever done, but it sure as hell should be.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It was explicitly talked about either in NXT vignettes or (more likely) on Breaking Ground

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

checksin posted:

The Undertaker is the best pure striker in the WWE

Steve Blackman is a lethal weapon which means he can loving kill you

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was explicitly talked about either in NXT vignettes or (more likely) on Breaking Ground

well good, it's a better indicator of his character than golden gloves. not saying that's for nothing, but that'd be a better angle as a face. it should be that if cole mentions that corbin was an nfl player, jbl should pop in and say that he was blackballed or whatever for punching a teammate. not so much that it's obnoxious, but it seems like a missed opportunity to build the character of a guy that they seem to have some real faith in.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Baron Corbin was good at football he'd still be playing football.

He wasn't good enough for the Cardinals' offensive line, in a year where the Cardinals were desperately pulling people off the street to play offensive line.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Benne posted:

If Baron Corbin was good at football he'd still be playing football.

He wasn't good enough for the Cardinals' offensive line, in a year where the Cardinals were desperately pulling people off the street to play offensive line.

I thought he got hurt or something? Or maybe I'm mixing people up.

Anyway yeah on breaking ground they talked about how he was a legit boxer before he went to the NFL and something happened and he ended up in WWE. I honestly can't remember if he got injured in training camp, or if he was just too much of an rear end in a top hat to be on a team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of guys on the current roster have done some BJJ or other martial arts, but not beyond the hobbyist level.

I've heard there was some controversy about Undertaker getting his BJJ black belt. I think it's because he did it no-gi or something like that.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I once saw the skeleton of a man with gigantism who died in his 40s. I'm not sure I would be so scared to fight Andre the Giant in 1990. (Assuming I am traveling back in time to do it. I was six.)

By far, the most commonly overlooked martial arts training among wrestlers is just being great at amateur wrestling. I believe Lesnar, Swagger, and Ziggler are the most decorated wrestlers on the WWE roster right now. Historically, just off the top of my head, Maurice Vachon, Verne Gagne, and Danny Hodge were all Olympian wrestlers, and of course, Kurt Angle. Some of the catch wrestlers you've heard of were excellent amateur wrestlers first, like Billy Robinson.

As far as wrestlers with legit MMA experience, there are too many to name here. The most notable would have to be Barnett, Sakuraba, Shamrock, Severn, Kondo, Suzuki, Funaki, Volk Han, and a few others. Santino Marella is a MMA coach now, as is Steve Blackman. A lot of guys on the current roster have done some BJJ or other martial arts, but not beyond the hobbyist level.

You're definitely right. The only problem is that the number of amateur wrestlers who make the move to the pros seems to be dwindling. You mentioned Swagger and Ziggler and Lesnar, but past them and Gable, who else is around that has a strong amateur background? By "strong" I mean actual accolades and championships, or competing on the olympic level.

I mean there's Angle obviously but he'll probably never set foot in a WWE ring again. I honestly can't think of anyone else with actual amateur experience on the roster these days. Maybe that's why they make such a big deal of someone being able to actually wrestle.

RE: meng - there are about a million interviews with stories of him being incredibly loving tough. In Piper's book, he talks about him being the last guy to start a fight and the first one to finish it, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Akam of the Authors of Pain was a decorated amateur wrestler.

quote:

He won a gold medal in the 115 kg category at the 2009 Canada Summer Games, and a silver medal at the 2011 Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico. Dhinsa competed in the qualification tournament for the 2012 Summer Olympics, missing out on qualification after losing to Dremiel Byers.[2] He was considered a prospect for the 2016 Summer Olympics but left amateur wrestling after being offered a contract with WWE in 2014, having been scouted for the company by Gerald Brisco.[3]

Doesn't Becky do BJJ? Couldn't find much about it on google