Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sion posted:

'can i get a charge back'

'don't spend money on poo poo you can't get now'

this thread, it learned nothing from star citizen

also

I wouldn't go as far to say it's Star Citizen. I'll at least get to play the other characters at some point in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

I wouldn't go as far to say it's Star Citizen.

I dunno, the Asros tickle videos was one coincidence too many.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
My understanding is there's a "very soon" update that will change the combat dramatically without adding any new content, and a "less soon" update that will possibly take away costume grinding and maybe do other stuff. I'm trying to figure out specific things that I should do before they go away forever. Is anything else rumored to be going away besides prestiging for costumes and certain any hero unique achievements?

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

Also is Blade fun yet? that's when I stopped playing

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Credit Chests will probably die in the Powers update, as they said they wanted to put in an event for people to last-minute grind uniques before they disappear in the Item update. Also in the Item update will be the death of all other recipes mentioning uniques, but the only thing that's really going away is the many achievements linked to any-hero uniques.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Triple20 posted:

Oddly he has one of my favorite kits. I like how his pistols function and his melee feels solid enough. I didn't get to play him when he was released where he was apparently just hot garbage.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Triple20 posted:

Yes. He's even strong enough now that when they've done leaderboard cosmic dr stuff the top player is usually using Blade.

(Or he's a one-trick pony with kit that's only ideal for that situation.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I thought he was on top in the last one because for some reason the No Ultimates part of the challenge applied to him as much as taxes did to Wesley Snipes.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Did they stop doing them or something? Because I can remember that one, and I haven't played in like 6 years.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yes, they stopped doing them. I think they tried to start one more after that and it was poorly received for some reason, so they just gave up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They may have realised that the structure of the competition explicitly highlighted how uneven their heroes are. Or the one guy who came up with the idea moved to a different company and everyone forgot they existed in the first place. Both are equally possible.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

Thanks for the responses re: Blade. Gonna stab some Maggia goons and lava monsters with wooden stakes

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Blade is ok once you get past the distinct lack of vampires in the game.

e; remember back when they were still talking about making new oneshots like a dracula one? good times

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Asros posted:

Yeah, the costume closet is coming along really well, but as it has been alluded to many times over the past year or so - costumes per prestige will be going away in a future patch. Consider this your warning! If you want to get those free costumes, the next weeks/months will be the time to do it. We might even do a big XP/prestige bonus weekend to even help you do that! We have no plans right now to remove the blender recipe, however since dupe costumes from some sources will still be a possibility.

They are trying to kill the game at this point, right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i liked prestige grinding to get 2 costumes per red, gave it a prize.

but this game is already dead so do whatever to make me want to play it again.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I was honestly surprised so many people bothered with prestiging given the existing rewards. I just move onto another character or work on getting gear for one I like.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DisposableHero posted:

I was honestly surprised so many people bothered with prestiging given the existing rewards. I just move onto another character or work on getting gear for one I like.
Well, once you have gear on characters you like, if you still have interest in playing the game and there's an event with enough of an XP boost (and a full synergy bonus), it's honestly like...an hour tops to 1-60, less if you're throwing a bunch of boosts on. Boosts that, if you've been playing long enough, you'll probably have a ton of from past events and login bonuses and quest rewards and such.

And at that point you're converting time playing the game into chances at new costumes for free, which isn't too bad as f2p gachas go.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

DisposableHero posted:

The rewards for prestiging were social.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
People stop me in the street everyday to congratulate me on my various cosmics. THAT is the reward.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Well, once you have gear on characters you like, if you still have interest in playing the game and there's an event with enough of an XP boost (and a full synergy bonus), it's honestly like...an hour tops to 1-60, less if you're throwing a bunch of boosts on. Boosts that, if you've been playing long enough, you'll probably have a ton of from past events and login bonuses and quest rewards and such.

And at that point you're converting time playing the game into chances at new costumes for free, which isn't too bad as f2p gachas go.

I guess I was mostly thinking that there is always another dude to level up. I've not even put much money into the game and that I spent on costumes but I've never ran out of unplayed characters to level. They seem really generous as far as character go. That's more exciting to me than playing the same character again for a chance at a costume later.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

DisposableHero posted:

I guess I was mostly thinking that there is always another dude to level up. I've not even put much money into the game and that I spent on costumes but I've never ran out of unplayed characters to level. They seem really generous as far as character go. That's more exciting to me than playing the same character again for a chance at a costume later.

You lack the heart of a yellowman.

edit: SaintFreak, I think it's awesome you wear a t-shirt with all your cosmics printed on it. Truly, in awe.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also at 10 you get a sick title, and at 42 you get a cool white coat with all kinds of buckles and poo poo on it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DisposableHero posted:

I am probably not alone in envying you here. A lot of us ITT have been playing long enough that we've been in the "only characters who aren't 60 are those who just came out That Day" camp, so we're the awful jaundiced monsters prestiging characters just to FEEL something again drat it.

So enjoy leveling and playing new people! It is the best part of the game! Also mash the poo poo out of your dash power buttons while you can.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
For what it's worth I've played on and off since release. But when I'm off I'm off for a LOOOONG time. When I get to the point where I don't really feel like trying a new guy but can't face the repetition on an existing one I just flip the mental flag of "I have Won Marvel Heroes" and bop off to the next thing for a few months. Usually after those months there's been some patch or the content feels somewhat fresh again and I'm back off to the races.

That said I totally understand the desire to keep playing a game because of the social aspect. If you've played for months and there are folks you only get to interact with via the game and talking about it I can see sticking to it even when it's not feeling fun. WoW is a testament to that for me.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

HAPPY2017

enjoy your 1 free boost per year

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Gonna pass on that brodawg

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Still the best goon community since CoH

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Well at least red 60'd every character, now max omegas and have every unique achievement.

Guess it's time to play some wank mobile game.

Nah... still need naked gambit and Tuxedo Hulk. Once that's done I'll remember to play overwatch again or something.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Nah come to phone game. Got Kate Bishop, Ironheart and probably America Chavez being released next week.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Nah come to phone game. Got Kate Bishop, Ironheart and probably America Chavez being released next week.

What, too much?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DisposableHero posted:

we fell under the spell of a charismatic cult leader who convinced us that we could only attain salvation by yellowing ourselves and allowing him to gently caress our wives and daughters

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Soothing Vapors posted:

we fell under the spell of a charismatic cult leader who convinced us that we could only attain salvation by yellowing ourselves and allowing him to gently caress our wives and daughters

ICuckedForRevenge

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

ICuckedForRevenge

hahaha

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Adult Sword Owner posted:

ICuckedForRevenge

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

never cosmic :smugjones:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

KomoriMan posted:

The Biggest Systems Update Ever is approaching and included in that update is a revision to the RIF and SIF system, BIF. If you want a refresher course on what this revision entails and how it is set to work, please visit our 5th Dev Blog.

On Tuesday(1/17) at 12:00PM PST, boosts that include the RIF or SIF bonus currently will be taken out of the store and vaulted. This also includes RIF and SIF Boosts that are in Combo Boosts, Fortune Cards, and Mystery Boxes. That doesn't mean that we are removing the mechanics of RIF/SIF and it especially doesn't mean we are deleting any of the current consumables you own with RIF/SIF. Any consumables you still own with RIF/SIF bonuses will still work as intended even if you activate them at any point in the future.

Boost Vaulting

The boosts being retired:
  • Avengers Assemble Boost - 2 Hours
  • Beach Party RIF Boost - 20 Minutes
  • Beach Party SIF Boost - 20 Minutes
  • Bounty Hunter Boost - 1 hour
  • Cosmic Penta Rush Boost - 4 Hour
  • Eternity Splinter Boost Potion - 3 Hours
  • Galactic Guardian's Boost - 3 Hour
  • iBoost - 6 Hour
  • Iridium Quad Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
  • Iridium Triple Boost - 2 Hours
  • Iridium Triple Boost - 4 Hours
  • Iridium Triple Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
  • Odin's Bounty Boost Potion - 2 Hours
  • Omega Boost - 4 Hour
  • Patrol Boost Potion - 4 Hours
  • Rarity Drop Boost - 2 Hours
  • Rarity Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
  • Special Item Find Boost - 2 Hours
  • Special Item Find
  • Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
  • Spring Candy Boost - 70 minutes
  • Super Summer Boost - 4 Hour
  • Sweet Candy Rush Boost - 4 Hour
  • Team-Up Boost - 2 Hours
  • The Collector's Bounty
  • Winter Wonder Boost - 3 Hours

New Boost Suite

The goal is to keep the store simple and easy to navigate in preparation for the update, as well as not to muddy the boost mechanics as the BIF system is introduced. We want our boost system to be much clearer for players and for them to know exactly what boost to purchase for what mechanic they want to enhance. With this goal in mind, we are reducing our total boost suite down to the following 4 boosts.

Bonus Item Find Boost - 30 minutes - Gain Bonus Item Find Points for 30 minutes!.

Each Bonus Item Find Boost consumed increases the rate at which you gain Bonus Item Find Points:
  • 1 Boost: Earn Points at 1x
  • 2 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.5x
  • 3 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.8x
  • 4 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.9x
  • 5 Boosts: Earn Points at 2x
Experience Boost - 30 minutes - Gain additional Experience for 30 minutes!.

Each Experience Boost increases the rate at which you gain Experience:
  • 1 Boost: 100% Bonus Experience
  • 2 Boosts: 150% Bonus Experience
  • 3 Boosts: 180% Bonus Experience
  • 4 Boosts: 190% Bonus Experience
  • 5 Boosts: 200% Bonus Experience
Currency Boost - 30 Minutes - Gain additional Game Currency for 30 minutes!

Each Currency Boost increases the rate at which you gain Different Game Currency:
  • 1 Boost: +120 credits per drop, 10% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +1 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 2 Boosts: +130 credits per drop, 20% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +2 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 3 Boosts: +136 credits per drop, 30% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +3 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 4 Boosts: +138 credits per drop, 40% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +4 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 5 Boosts: +140 credits per drop, 50% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +5 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
Combo Boost - 60 Minutes - Gain Bonus Item Find Points, Experience, and Game Currency for 60 minutes! Stacks additively with all other boosts.

Each Combo Boost increases the rate at which you gain Bonus Item Find, Experience and Different Game Currency:
  • 1 Boost: Earn BIF Points at 1x, 100% Bonus Experience, +120 credits per drop, 10% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +1 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 2 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.5x, 150% Bonus Experience, +130 credits per drop, 20% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +2 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 3 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.8x, 180% Bonus Experience , +136 credits per drop, 30% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +3 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 4 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.9x, 190% Bonus Experience, +138 credits per drop, 40% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +4 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
  • 5 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 2x, 200% Bonus Experience, +140 credits per drop, 50% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +5 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
You’ll notice that these function in the same fashion that our current RUSH bars do. They stack in power, but not duration.
These boost values are very close to final, but may change based off of Test Center iteration. Additionally, the prices are still being finalized.

BIF Conversion

When we initially announced BIF, we mentioned that we did not have any plans to convert existing boosts to BIF. This decision was made because we do not take the decision to change existing items, especially items that players have paid for, lightly. We listened to your feedback, and feel that we have come up with a good compromise.

Once BIF launches, you will find 2 vendors in Avengers Tower. The first vendor will allow you to turn in certain boosts you may own for a new token. The amount of tokens granted per boost will vary depending on the boost itself. The tokens exchanged from this vendor can be used at a vendor right next to it to buy any of the new boosts we will be offering. This will allow players a chance to exchange boosts that they want for any of the new boosts, free of charge. These vendors will only be available for a limited time, so be sure to take advantage of it quickly!

Last Chance Sale

Don't fret though! Feel free to stock up on RIF/SIF boosts until Tuesday(1/17) at 12:00PM PST. We will be adding in special boosts in by Thursday(1/12) at 12:00PM PST.

Stay tuned for more updates as we lead into the "Biggest Systems Update Ever".
Exciting times ahead in Marble Hebrons MMXVII!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it is absurd that they are continuing to run and maintain the game instead of focusing all time on energy on the revamp that may make it worth playing again, if only for a time

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Probably something they should have done a long time ago, before cosmic prestige was added.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
hail bif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

cams posted:

it is absurd that they are continuing to run and maintain the game instead of focusing all time on energy on the revamp that may make it worth playing again, if only for a time

I've never heard of such an online game-free or paid-ever being 'temporarily turned off' as you hope for. If I'm wrong, I'd be interested to hear of who, when, and why.

• Locked thread