Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

what's the face you make when you realize that Giannis has only been playing high level basketball for 3 years and is already better than LeBron was when he was the same age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

To be fair, Giannis has to sustain those numbers all season

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

no one is safe from his wrath

straight up brolic posted:

what's the face you make when you realize that Giannis has only been playing high level basketball for 3 years and is already better than LeBron was when he was the same age.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Giannis is what you get when the max development curve in an NBA2K draft pick happens in real life.

I mean...this guy was playing minor league basketball in Greece when he was drafted. There are high school gyms bigger than some of the places he was playing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crazy Ted posted:

Giannis is what you get when the max development curve in an NBA2K draft pick happens in real life.

I mean...this guy was playing minor league basketball in Greece when he was drafted. There are high school gyms bigger than some of the places he was playing.

[ Smush_Parker_Playing_In_Greece.txt ]

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I did it, I found my favorite Giannis post.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He's right though. Giannis was drafted solely on the hope that he could learn how to play pro-level basketball with even minimal mental competence because his athleticism was that notable.

Gerald Green has the basketball IQ of a brick and he managed to have a couple of decent seasons that basically came down to the fact that he was athletic enough that he could probably dunk in a 13-foot basket.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When he was drafted, there wasn't much to separate him from the endless stream of lanky rear end bigman with athleticism. It could just as easily been Joe Alexander or one of the billion dudes the Warriors drafted who magically developed into the next LeBron

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bizort made almost the exact same posts about Lebron when he was coming out too. He had an absolute hatred of him. Like, it's all in hindsight but he so passionately hated both Gianni's and lebron that it can't help but be funny

Bizort was really funny but also the grumpiest dude in the NBA threads even though this was during a time when Gendo could only get sexually aroused by talking about how much he hated Kevin Love

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fun fact not covered in this story: when Kurt Rambis played for AEK he did so under a different name, which was Kyriakos Rambidis

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

When he was drafted, there wasn't much to separate him from the endless stream of lanky rear end bigman with athleticism. It could just as easily been Joe Alexander or one of the billion dudes the Warriors drafted who magically developed into the next LeBron
to provide context this was in reaction to Giannis showing glimpses of what he could do on the court and people like me freaking out and making terrible posts. it wasn't the draft thread.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

to provide context this was in reaction to Giannis showing glimpses of what he could do on the court and people like me freaking out and making terrible posts. it wasn't the draft thread.
Giannis hit the rookie wall pretty hard too. He had an O-Rating in the 80's over the last month of the season.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Time posted:

Bizort made almost the exact same posts about Lebron when he was coming out too. He had an absolute hatred of him. Like, it's all in hindsight but he so passionately hated both Gianni's and lebron that it can't help but be funny

Also Tobias Harris has somehow turned out to be a respectable rotation player

OTOH Hiring Scott Skiles went about as well as he said it would

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Crazy Ted posted:

Giannis hit the rookie wall pretty hard too. He had an O-Rating in the 80's over the last month of the season.

Yeah, nothing was certain with him after year 1 like with Lebron. Which makes the leaps he is taking now even more impressive

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Time posted:

Yeah, nothing was certain with him after year 1 like with Lebron. Which makes the leaps he is taking now even more impressive
Yeah. There's been 100+ guys like him who've come into the NBA, looked decent for a few games, and then flamed out because it turns out that you do need more than athletic ability to play in the league.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

eh I stand by the fact that he looked significantly different than the other comparables. dude ticked all the boxes for development (being athletically gifted, coordination, size, wanting to get better, work ethic) and the majority opinion in the threads was that he was going to be awesome.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I went to a basketball game in Greece like 5 years ago and they played "Welcome to Weapon World" by prince Paul like 4 times in a row during halftime because the guy working the PA system was standing on the court smoking cigarettes and shooting freethrows

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Bizort was really funny but also the grumpiest dude in the NBA threads even though this was during a time when Gendo could only get sexually aroused by talking about how much he hated Kevin Love

lmfao that's amazing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Time posted:

I went to a basketball game in Greece like 5 years ago and they played "Welcome to Weapon World" by prince Paul like 4 times in a row during halftime because the guy working the PA system was standing on the court smoking cigarettes and shooting freethrows
lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

eh I stand by the fact that he looked significantly different than the other comparables. dude ticked all the boxes for development (being athletically gifted, coordination, size, wanting to get better, work ethic) and the majority opinion in the threads was that he was going to be awesome.
Honestly I wanted him to come good just because I liked his background story.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also lest I be accused of selectively cherry picking, I posted

quote:

Tony Snell is really good and will have a good season

and said that MCW would never be a good shooter but could be a "12, 5, 7 guy"

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
All Giannis did was stand in the corner and shoot threes his rookie year because he didn't know jack poo poo. Basically what they are doing with Thon now. I think back then those who thought highly of him thought he could be Josh Smith. Certainly not loving Lebron.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

and said that MCW would never be a good shooter but could be a "12, 5, 7 guy"
De'Aron Fox is going to follow in his footsteps. If you play at Kentucky and still struggle to shoot 40% from the floor (13% from three!!!) you just can't shoot.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hand Row posted:

All Giannis did was stand in the corner and shoot threes his rookie year because he didn't know jack poo poo. Basically what they are doing with Thon now. I think back then those who thought highly of him thought he could be Josh Smith. Certainly not loving Lebron.
nah he was already an amazing fast break player, something that even BIZORT conceded

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently a couple of reporters asked Giannis if he's ready to be treated like a Greek God the next time he goes back home to Greece.

Unless Giannis is no longer black the odds of that actually happening are slim to none.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Andrew Bogut doesn't think he has much of a future in Dallas

quote:

"Thankfully, I'm a free agent here, so I only have a couple of months more here and then will most likely move on," Bogut told Sky Sports. "I don't see myself hanging around with everything that's gone on. It will be an interesting six months ahead."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18409928/andrew-bogut-hanging-dallas-mavericks-not-likely

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Austin Rivers scored 28/7/4 on 16 shots and the Clippers beat the Grizzlies lmao

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Austin Rivers scored 28/7/4 on 16 shots and the Clippers beat the Grizzlies lmao

:getin:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Honestly, given the amount of poo poo that Austin has taken over the years for things completely out of his control (him being a Duke alum is a valid criticism), it would make me very happy if he eventually turned into an above average NBA guard

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I saw the ref counting off Giannis' back to the basket seconds go to 5 and just do nothing. Then there was like 3 more seconds after that.

What the gently caress refs?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm always amazed at how well GSW hid how much of a dick Bogut is.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

I saw the ref counting off Giannis' back to the basket seconds go to 5 and just do nothing. Then there was like 3 more seconds after that.

giannis getting superstar calls he's officially made it

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

chunkles posted:

Incidentally I was checking out the SportVU miles run per game stat and CJ McCollum is way up at the top. (I was actually thinking Bev would be up there, but apparently not).

Watching Portland, this makes total sense. I dunno if this is backed up by stats but man they seem to have to work extremely hard on offense. I have this pet theory that one of the reasons their defense sucks so bad is because they have to put so much energy into every offensive possession. One of the reasons mind you.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Doltos posted:

e: he completes the catch and engages his dribble at 7-8 seconds and picks up his dribble at like 2.5 seconds if you watch the video. it would have been an absurd call to make.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 5, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is the only time i've ever seen it called and the rule was completely misapplied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12hs5uS6x4

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hey metapod lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3DuEC-2OlU

lmao

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

beautiful

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm fine with keeping five seconds on the book, but also fine with them not calling it. Five Seconds got the ridiculousness that was way-past-their-prime Mark Jackson and Charles Barkley (and really Jordan probably rode the move to his last title) abusing the fact that it's really hard to stop an all-time good passer, with a historically good high post game, playing with a team full of vets from manufacturing points almost every possession without really doing anything athletic. But really, it's not something a lot of people were doing, were capable of doing, or probably had a desire to do so if the refs just silently stop calling it (which they pretty much have), no big deal.

Like maybe if Lebron starts doing it in five years get back to me.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Giannis got brought up exactly four times in the 65 page long pre-draft thread. To say he was under the radar is underselling it. It is mostly arguing about whether Oladipo or McLemore were more likely to develop a consistent jumper and everyone desperately hoping their team doesn't draft MCW.

However:

chuckles correctly posted:

So apparently GMs/scouts have been making pilgrimages to Athens to see Giannis Adetokunbo including Sam Presti and Daryl Morey.

Let the unrealistic comparisons begin. GREEK DURANT

oceanlife correctly posted:

Guys, hold up the draft talk for a minute. What if I told you I had a prospect that is foreign, unrealistically tall for his position, was compared to an all time great, and had the interest of the Boston Celtics?

Let me introduce you to the 6'10 point guard of the future, Greece's Giannis Adetokunbo.

Also everyone was spelling his last name wrong because it was changed later when he got Greek citizenship.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Today I learned that Lebron hit his first game winning buzzer beater in 2009 (against the Warriors!) which seems way later than I thought it would have been.

• Locked thread