Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piso Mojado

i got a free week from a co-worker her stuff always looks pretty good. Here in a month I will start my cycling training regime again and i wont have much time to cook in the evenings or prepare lunch so I really hope it works out. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I made some goulash! I took pics of the process, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet. I used the turkey stock from thanksgiving. Another serious eats cliche, but gelatin in your soup stocks makes a huge difference to me in the eventual soup. If you make soup using grocery store stock, make sure to add gelatin. It's cheap and makes the soup so much better imo.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

the only other banded that i can think of that is not a british or north american breed is the cinta senese and they're super rare in the US.

You got it. I was actually present when (to my knowledge) the first and second cinta senese pig were killed in the USA. There was a whole crazy ordeal with it, they lived at customs for weeks before being allowed to actually enter the country.

Unfortunately at the time my phone was the cheap and dumb and I didn't have a camera, so I went with a Google image search to find one.

I believe you said earlier you want a donation to the lowtax thing versus an upgrade?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

yep, give lowtax ten bucks or something. or buy yourself a cup of nice coffee.

i gotta go buy mike some salted pig parts soon, he's been asking for iberico capocollo and i'm gonna be at the ferry building tomorrow anyway.

Piso Mojado

Update on my blue apron: the package did not arrive today and I'm very confused because it was supposed to. :confuoot:

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

yep, give lowtax ten bucks or something. or buy yourself a cup of nice coffee.

i gotta go buy mike some salted pig parts soon, he's been asking for iberico capocollo and i'm gonna be at the ferry building tomorrow anyway.

Thanks for participating, that was fun. Takes me back to when I mailed farro all across the USA and would up with some sweet different takes on it. It sounds like you know way more about pig breeds than I do, which is very cool. I know a lot of the standards, like berkshire, kurobuta. I think wattle pigs are super neat.

Cintas have a special place in my heart, however, having been part of a very cool experience with them. This was in the spring of 2014, I would imagine the Cinta proscuitto is done, I don't know if he was doing any of the crazy iberico style hams that take multiple years to cure, but proscuittos for sure.

Thanks for playing everyone! I had fun, gave me a good reason to get back into this thread (after my christmas brunch prompted me to at first.

I love you all, hope you have a great new year

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

happy new year to you too! this was really, really fun. piggie guessing is great.

also i think i remember your farro-mail back in gws i think? that was a really long time ago probably before i was even registered but was still lurking the forums.

i love piggies. a lot. too much, i can't eat them anymore, lol. my husband benefits greatly because i spend a lot of time with people with hobby farms and i tend to get paid in what people have around, like meat or veg or fiber.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

All the farro shenanigans occurred in this very thread.

Here is om nom nom's first effortpost about it. Sprinkled down the pages past it are posts from people that cooked the farro he sent out.

Here's mine.

alnilam

That farro was great thank you om nom nom, I've bought farro a few times since too

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
i figured out the answer to the question

of why glass cutting boards of all things

1. they can be prettified with printed designs on the underside and are relatively cheap to manufacture but can be sold with steeper markups

2. they were marketed as easy to sanitize and thus hygienic, unlike FILTHY POROUS WOOD WHICH IS FULL OF CANCER AND E. COLI

3. people who bought them probably stopped using them pretty quickly because they're unpleasant to cut on

brought to you by "cooking at grandma's, holy poo poo, every knife in this house is dull"

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Nothing has shown the lie of the "greatest generation" more than the depressing litany of terrible kitchens I have witnessed over my months of estate sales.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got my wok so I'm now seasoning it. getting the sides hot is annoying! I should just put it in the oven, but it has wooden handles and one of them doesn't come off. boo.

since I got my new knives I'm eating more vegetables because I look for excuses to cut them up.

MrWillsauce

you know what it is

grilled chees bitch

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

MrWillsauce posted:

you know what it is

grilled chees bitch

post the gc m*therh*cker

MrWillsauce

hold on i ate half hold on lemme see

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

just post the gat-dang cheesewich my friend, you gotta do it.

also i like carbs so. carbs are good.

MrWillsauce

alnilam

Impressive that you cut the sandwich in twain with such tiny scissors

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

what to heck my friend, that is a great gc! what's your secret bread there, ciabatta or a telera or something?

MrWillsauce

ciabatta. it was crunchy

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

ciabatta is a good af choice. the crunchy bits are like croutons with even less effort. magic.

i'm into harissa, chao original and a bunch of arugula on a telera shoved in the grill right now because that's literally what we have in the house, so i gotta eat it. also it's kinda good. i didn't think grilled arugula could hold up but it works.

vanisher

alnilam posted:

Impressive that you cut the sandwich in twain with such tiny scissors

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

pogi

I made Challah bread with a gal a few weeks ago and really enjoyed myself. What other kinds of bread are fun to bake? What's your favorite baking recipe, BYOB?

joke_explainer

pogi posted:

I made Challah bread with a gal a few weeks ago and really enjoyed myself. What other kinds of bread are fun to bake? What's your favorite baking recipe, BYOB?

It's funny, I remember in the distant past of this thread when Bo-Pepper was like, "Hlâf hlêg myndlêas ærendung gên fôr lêodweras râd ðês yfel ne be−frînan" or, in modern English, 'bread is a fool's errand for which I never cared to learn!', but we actually have quite a few bakers now. Poverty goat has shared some amazing loaves with us in the archives.

poverty goat

theres 1 thing you can learn to cook that will accompany and improve every meal you eat every day and thats fresh bread. its a no brainer

poverty goat

everyone thinks bread is about slaving over a mass of putty all day but really it's like i am pharaoh and the yeast are my slaves, building a bread monument to ferry me to food heaven

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

everyone thinks bread is about slaving over a mass of putty all day but really it's like i am pharaoh and the yeast are my slaves, building a bread monument to ferry me to food heaven

that is an excellent way to look at it. I was really surprised when I first made the ken forkish, dutch oven style of bread... my grandma used a fancy bread maker but I always was like 'meh', because the crust was awful. but this was just like something I bought at a bakery and it did not really take much work or much active time at all

okay here's those goulash pics:

first you get your ingredients, except get more carrots than I got.

acquire a 6 qt enamel cast iron dutch oven, instead of a 4 qt one so you don't have to do this all in a stock pot

salt, pepper the beef chuck, then sear your beef chuck

If I had used a nice hot cast iron I could have a much better crust here but I was more interested in having soup sooner rather than later anyway and it was cold

then following the serious eats recipe, I seared up the carrots... This was fine, but yeah, I needed way more. Also, don't cook your carrots all the way through at this step, just give them a little sear to get flavorful...

Turned out quite tasty.

Then you heat up onions and red peppers and garlic until starting to turn transcluscent, along with the halfed carrot / celery you're going to remove later, those big things are just going to give up their flavorful goods for the soup as a sacrifice

bay leaf, thyme, then basically an entire half cup of paprika, spring for the good stuff if you have a nice spice store nearby (I used semi-good stuff), let it get a little toasty and fragrant for a half minute before dumping your homemade broth on it all

then re-add the steak after chopping it up into stew pieces

Mix it up nice and good, bring to a simmer, then put it in the oven and let it cook about 1 hr and 30 minutes at 300 fahrenheit in your pre-heated oven, hope you aren't just doing things as you read along...

after that, take it out, remove the thyme, bay leaves, big hunks of carrot and celery, add potatoes and your seared carrots

another hr in the oven and its good 2 go, starting to really get flavorful

Sorry some of the pictures aren't as sharp as they should be... I should get a tripod for the kitchen

bonus pic: using the turkey stock from thanksgiving for this, it was really full of gelatin from that turkey carcass. After cooling in the fridge in little 16 oz deli containers, you can do this:

Of course, once heated up it just turns into full-bodied goodness again. Only thing I'd change next time is have more carrots.

poverty goat

goulash just makes me wish i had paprikash instead

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think I'm gonna make some goulash.

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

goulash just makes me wish i had paprikash instead

i love paprikash but its so cold I really, really wanted soup

Manifisto

you're hired, you're all hired, now I want goulash and fresh baked bread and grilled cheese and farro and whatever else, just gimme pls thx

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

that little pile of carrots made me smile

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

that little pile of carrots made me smile

I realized I didn't even start with enough, but then I kept eating them... to, uh, make sure they were cooked properly...

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i have to cook for some visiting family this weekend but we have no money because of reasons so it's chicken thighs, macaroni and cheese and roasted vegetables for the lot of them

it's unfortunate because it's the section of my extended family that i cook AT because they serve me the shittiest food that ever was whenever i visit

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i mean it'll be fine and tasty but i typically make something with oomph because goddamn you people and your dry chicken breasts with no sauce and did you just throw some unseasoned beef ribs on a hot grill for ten minutes and think that was the right idea holy poo poo

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

once my aunt made a fresh ham and didn't make gravy

my father talks about it decades later as an unforgivable sin

joke_explainer

just roasted vegetables will probably shock the hell out of them. I grew up on boiled, lifeless broccoli. I honestly thought all vegetables were disgusting, not because they are, but because everything was just boiled forever. roasted broccoli, with the Maillard reaction crisping the florettes, the brilliant green color, or even brussel sprouts roasted, it was just baffling to me, like why weren't we doing this? this isn't harder, what the gently caress?

I guess I can't be too unfair about it, though, I mean. Somebody born in 55 probably didn't cook for themselves until the 70s, and information existed in a different way back then. Techniques for amazing cooking totally existed, but they weren't just a google query away. Now, there's no excuse to cook things horrible, the best way to make any drat thing is seconds away, even accounting for limited equipment, time, or whatever. I really don't know what inspired that entire generation to overcook everything. Maybe food safety was a far greater scare.

Still, I totally understand 'cooking at' someone. I didn't understand food could be good until I moved to a major city and met people use to eating good food, I had previously just accepted bad food as the norm. But the next time I was around for thanksgiving, I volunteered to cook the thanksgiving turkey, first time ever trying it, and everyone was very skeptical about some twenty-something managing to cook a turkey. I shook the ground with revelation and confusion by having turkey breast that wasn't dry and mealy. (It was just a wet brine though, I make much better turkeys now...)

joke_explainer

I moved to philadelphia and my friend was saying she was hungry, and I was like, 'Oh, there's a subway down the street, why don't we go there?', and she stared at me like I was an alien. It was incomprehensible to her why anyone would go to subway. Then she took me to get an italian hoagie on some Conshohocken bakery bread and it changed my world forever. Also, runny egg yolks, which I was irrationally grossed out by? Turns out they are amazing. Egg yolk + salt + english muffin for breakfast. I remember it so vividly, it's one of those weird life changing moments, so simple you know, but just changed the way I thought about everything.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it's so easy to make wonderful food that lovely food makes me a little mad now

you eat every day. it is a necessity of your life. how do you not give it a cursory examination of technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

Bo-Pepper posted:

it's so easy to make wonderful food that lovely food makes me a little mad now

you eat every day. it is a necessity of your life. how do you not give it a cursory examination of technique

imo its impressive that so many people can spend several hours a week doing something that is essential for survival without ever getting any better at it