Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Hulk Smash! posted:

If you start a character at 60 or 65 with a level-up token, it assumes you finished your class story and puts you at the beginning of KOTFE and KOTET respectively. You can't go back and do the class quests.

boooo. Mercenary is the last Imperial story I haven't done and I don't want to worry about levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just started playing this about two knights ago (eeeeeeyuk yuk yuk :downsrim:) and used the referral so thanks for that. Been enjoying the smuggler - started with a two handed jedi yutz the first night but found him kind of boring and wanted to do ranged poo poo.

Still have no idea what I'm doing but I found myself having a star wars itch I needed scratched lately.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

Just walk near them. They'll attack you first, then it's self-defense.

The MMO staple mission of "invade home, kill support staff" has never sat right with me. Unless you're given damned good reason to go all Anakin on the Sandpeople.

Is the Inquisitor ever given reason to dislike the Jedi, or the Republic? They're "the enemy", but the direct threats to the character come from other Sith and their Imperial cronies. Backing an Empire that haplessly loses a war offscreen despite best efforts on shouldn't be top of anyone's list of patriotic duties.

And the recurring idea of a reformed Empire (under Sith who generally want a more tolerant, accepting and peaceful one) isn't any more attractive.

The whole Republic vs. Empire thing is just dumb start to finish and Zakuul is the best idea they ever had, really.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

I got reported to Space SPCA (SSPCA) for failing to provide for the life needs of Tauntauns. With the help of some snowballs (and some leftovers from the guild bank--thanks Medulla) I have been able to bring the temperature down some.

Updated:

Aleth posted:

Just a reminder:

:sassargh: STRONGHOLD CHRISTMAS PARTY :sassargh:

Get the Dromund Kaas apartment stronghold if you haven't already got it for a whopping 5k* credits and decorate the crap out of the initial entrance room in whatever manner you so desire to celebrate the time of the year which it currently is. Christmas or whatever.

The rules:
1) Initial DK apartment entrance room is the only room we're using
2) 100 decoration limit (which is the amount the room unlocks with)

Deadline: 7th January 2017

Judging will probably be Medullah and myself, unless anyone else wants to help pick winners.

Prizes: Nonentity's fabulous new Unstable Peacemaker's lightsabers plus other goodies from the vault.

*Apparently on sale at the moment for a measly 5 credits.

Current entries:

Dely Apple
Dalris Othaine
M_Sinistrari
Bilirubin

If anyone other than these four entries wants a shot at winning the new fancy lightsabers you've got a few days left.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That location is like the worst possible one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

That location is like the worst possible one.

It was picked to allow every everyone to participate since it was only 5 credits. :D

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Communism!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I figured it'd keep it a more level playing field if it was the stronghold room everyone has easy access to in about five minutes after character creation.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

sassassin posted:

The MMO staple mission of "invade home, kill support staff" has never sat right with me. Unless you're given damned good reason to go all Anakin on the Sandpeople.

Is the Inquisitor ever given reason to dislike the Jedi, or the Republic? They're "the enemy", but the direct threats to the character come from other Sith and their Imperial cronies. Backing an Empire that haplessly loses a war offscreen despite best efforts on shouldn't be top of anyone's list of patriotic duties.

And the recurring idea of a reformed Empire (under Sith who generally want a more tolerant, accepting and peaceful one) isn't any more attractive.

The whole Republic vs. Empire thing is just dumb start to finish and Zakuul is the best idea they ever had, really.

I don't think they have a good reason to dislike the Republic directly, other than it can be viewed as weak, pompous, and/or hypocritical. I found the different outlooks in the inquisitor storyline pretty compelling - you can play it as a true-believer evil sith dude or someone with disdain for the Empire/Sith that just wants to accumulate power to lord over the people that enslaved you. I chose the latter as a lightside inquisitor and thought of any conflict with the Republic as a secondary concern, or as a means to an end to enhance your characters power and prestige within the Empire that you ultimately want to bring to heel.

As a lightside inquisitor my only issue with the jedi would be their rigid and authoritarian ways that control and indoctrinate them, which also holds them back from unlocking their full potential. Meanwhile, from this perspective the Sith seem ridiculously shortsighted and unnecessarily cruel while only pursuing power through blind hatred. All this to say I agree with you, Zakuul and the PC being leader of the alliance is great for my inquisitor and fits perfectly into the "both sides suck for different reasons" outlook my character has.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hakarne posted:

I don't think they have a good reason to dislike the Republic directly, other than it can be viewed as weak, pompous, and/or hypocritical. I found the different outlooks in the inquisitor storyline pretty compelling - you can play it as a true-believer evil sith dude or someone with disdain for the Empire/Sith that just wants to accumulate power to lord over the people that enslaved you. I chose the latter as a lightside inquisitor and thought of any conflict with the Republic as a secondary concern, or as a means to an end to enhance your characters power and prestige within the Empire that you ultimately want to bring to heel.

As a lightside inquisitor my only issue with the jedi would be their rigid and authoritarian ways that control and indoctrinate them, which also holds them back from unlocking their full potential. Meanwhile, from this perspective the Sith seem ridiculously shortsighted and unnecessarily cruel while only pursuing power through blind hatred. All this to say I agree with you, Zakuul and the PC being leader of the alliance is great for my inquisitor and fits perfectly into the "both sides suck for different reasons" outlook my character has.

Going from what dialog I've seen, it's more the Republic suffers from it's close affiliation with the Jedi more than anything as far as the Sith go. The Republic on it's own is more seen as a group of clueless doofs compared to the Jedi who are seen as genocidal hypocrites by the Sith, especially the Red Sith.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Some buddies and I are thinking about revisiting swtor but having some issues finding info on endgame for the new xpac? Veteran Uprisings seem to be the thing to do but do they scale up so that theyre always gonna be difficult?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

Going from what dialog I've seen, it's more the Republic suffers from it's close affiliation with the Jedi more than anything as far as the Sith go. The Republic on it's own is more seen as a group of clueless doofs compared to the Jedi who are seen as genocidal hypocrites by the Sith, especially the Red Sith.

According to Lord Scourge, they tell their kids that the Jedi will kill them if they don't do their chores.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rannison posted:

Some buddies and I are thinking about revisiting swtor but having some issues finding info on endgame for the new xpac? Veteran Uprisings seem to be the thing to do but do they scale up so that theyre always gonna be difficult?

Dulfy has a really good guide on both Galactic Command and Uprisings. Think of Veteran mode being the old "Hard Mode" version, and coming soon is the Master mode which is comparable to Nightmare Mode before.

Do read up on Galactic Command though as it is the new (terrible) way to gear up.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
We've always been at war with the blue/green glowbat swingers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They should have made everyone start Republicempire with 4 classes that branch into a second Separatistrebel endgame & pvp faction through story choices.

Knight to Warrior
Slave to Consular
Trooper to Bounty Hunter
Agent to Smuggler

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Imagine finishing Trooper Chapter One by punching General Garza in the face and flying off to compete in the Great Hunt and make bank selling guns with Tanno Vik.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

prefect posted:

According to Lord Scourge, they tell their kids that the Jedi will kill them if they don't do their chores.

And Lord Praven brings up the Jedi genociding on the Red Sith.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

And Lord Praven brings up the Jedi genociding on the Red Sith.

Praven and Scourge were so cool. And Watcher One. JK storyline had some excellent semi-villain characters in it. :allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

They should have made everyone start Republicempire with 4 classes that branch into a second Separatistrebel endgame & pvp faction through story choices.

Knight to Warrior
Slave to Consular
Trooper to Bounty Hunter
Agent to Smuggler

Better: you can play as the smuggler in any of the class stories.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fruit on the bottom posted:

Better: you can play as the smuggler in any of the class stories.

"I healed you with Jedi power!"

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
To be fair, Jedi did exterminate all Sith and Sith-looking things centuries(?) ago for seemingly no reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GuyUpNorth posted:

To be fair, Jedi did exterminate all Sith and Sith-looking things centuries(?) ago for seemingly no reason.

Ancient history.

Even the sacking of the Jedi Temple happened like ten years before the game starts. Our characters weren't even born during most of the trailers.

Grandad may hate the Vietnamese but I'm not going to burn down Dromund Kass because of it, come on.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sassassin posted:

Imagine finishing Trooper Chapter One by punching General Garza in the face and flying off to compete in the Great Hunt and make bank selling guns with Tanno Vik.

I've always thought Bioware should have done something like this, but bizarrely the only MMO I've ever seen pull it off was City of Heroes/Villains when they released the Praetorian expansion.

They're supposed to be so great at storytelling and generating branches of events based on player choice. Why can't the player choose to tell Garza to suck it and go from Trooper to Bounty Hunter? Why can't the Agent decide "screw this mind game poo poo" and go Smuggler? Why can't Jedi fall and become Sith?

It seems to me that since they're never going to add new playable classes, redo any of the planets, or anything like that, the least they could do is add more complexity to the story and make player choices actually have some REAL oomph.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They want a defined Red vs Blue arena with specific rigid classes for balanced PVP gameplay, only most of the content they've made is singleplayer story stuff where none of that matters and just gets in the way of everyone's good time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alter Ego posted:

I've always thought Bioware should have done something like this, but bizarrely the only MMO I've ever seen pull it off was City of Heroes/Villains when they released the Praetorian expansion.

They're supposed to be so great at storytelling and generating branches of events based on player choice. Why can't the player choose to tell Garza to suck it and go from Trooper to Bounty Hunter? Why can't the Agent decide "screw this mind game poo poo" and go Smuggler? Why can't Jedi fall and become Sith?

It seems to me that since they're never going to add new playable classes, redo any of the planets, or anything like that, the least they could do is add more complexity to the story and make player choices actually have some REAL oomph.

I'm guessing that the more a choice diverges from the norm, the more you multiply the amount of voice-actor time required to cover every branch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just have every line be "I'll be covered in blood from head to toe" imo

Question: do bountiful yield missions still reward purple mats, or is it just rich ones now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I'm guessing that the more a choice diverges from the norm, the more you multiply the amount of voice-actor time required to cover every branch.

Hire less of them.

Have every character sound like the Agents.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sassassin posted:

Ancient history.

Even the sacking of the Jedi Temple happened like ten years before the game starts. Our characters weren't even born during most of the trailers.

Grandad may hate the Vietnamese but I'm not going to burn down Dromund Kass because of it, come on.

As far as it being ancient history, that's a yes/no thing at least as far as the Sith Purebloods go. The longterm result of the genetic alchemy and mindfucking the Jedi Exiles did to the original Sith species when they enslaved them does have them facing extinction faster than regular events would with children popping out looking human with funky eyes even when both parents are Purebloods. Darth Arkous on Korriban brings up the dying out of the Purebloods, and other Pureblood questgivers either mention how few they're becoming and it being the Jedis fault. Hell, even Darth Ikoral took off in the Red Reaper to try and find any isolated Purebloods to stave the inevitability off. Not helping either is the Jedi treating Sith: The Species the exact same as Sith: The 'No, gently caress you Jedi" Order.

So, yeah while most of that's all ancient history, to the Sith Purebloods, the genocide's still going on but not as obvious as in your face fighting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just have every line be "I'll be covered in blood from head to toe" imo

Question: do bountiful yield missions still reward purple mats, or is it just rich ones now?

Yep. And there doesn't appear to be Wealthy/Bountiful discovered missions now since they took lockboxes away from grade 10 slicing

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Hire less of them.

Have every character sound like the Agents.
can we keep Jennifer Hale

please

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I've never done any of the Republic storylines (highest pub character is a 30 commando) but are they all considered worse than the Imperial ones?

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I've never done any of the Republic storylines (highest pub character is a 30 commando) but are they all considered worse than the Imperial ones?

JK can be considered ok if you're into heroics and general Jedi badassery. Smuggler/Trooper stories I found overwhelmingly bland, and Consular starts off decent and then turns weak around chapter 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Curvy Goonette posted:

On average all stories are considered bad except agent.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Smuggler's ok but they really have to do some stretching to make your character fit into the world in all the post-50 content imo. Smuggler story ending with being a pirate king and retiring on top of a pile of money is about where that arc should end imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Knight is a very Star Wars Mary Sue storyline. I enjoyed it quite a bit because I'm fine with being the big hero who saves the world. Other people hate it. Some people love the Consular story, where I think it's boring. Everyone has opinions. Some people hate everything about the game but still play it. :D

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Knight is the worst, constant race against time superweapon nonsense playing as an errand boy for the worst General of all time. Two of the best companions, the rest are awful.

Trooper is good. Lower-key stakes playing as an errand boy for a decent General with a nice rear end. Good group.

Consular is good. An actual Jedi story instead of 30 minutes of New Hope on repeat. Awful team.

Smuggler I didn't finish Coruscant. Corso a bitch.

Trooper and Consular nail key story moments for me in a way that Agent, Inquisitor, Knight etc. always fell short of what they seemed to promise (due to the fact it's an mmo with rigid systems in place, or just dumb writing). But they're more consistent and inoffensive, working within the confines of the game, than thrill-a-minute Chosen One romps that promise deepcover triple-agent espionage etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Smuggler I didn't finish Coruscant. Corso a bitch.

Thinking about it, I like all the Smuggler companions; there aren't any of them I wish I could casually leave behind on some planet. You should give it another shot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maybe for legacy dirty kick.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Knight is fine except for the bullshit twist at the start of act 3 that could have been really interesting in an actual RPG but fell totally flat because it's an MMO and I have no idea how anyone who doesn't like dumb heroics is playing a loving Star Wars game. Smuggler's similarly pretty great as long as you know what to expect going in (misadventure and jerky allies), but yeah it's a huge tonal shift once you get past the main class arc.

Trooper's utterly irredeemable though. Horrible pacing, excruciatingly dull storyline with minimal relevance, annoying NPCs, annoying or dull companions (except 4X), and it even ends in a horrible tepid anticlimax with no real payoff. Even Bounty Hunter at least has a bunch of fun little moments littered throughout it and has a pretty important finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Asimo posted:

Trooper's utterly irredeemable though. Horrible pacing, excruciatingly dull storyline with minimal relevance, annoying NPCs, annoying or dull companions (except 4X), and it even ends in a horrible tepid anticlimax with no real payoff. Even Bounty Hunter at least has a bunch of fun little moments littered throughout it and has a pretty important finale.

Man that's a lot to slog through to use the cool guns in the game. I think I'd be down for Knight but I just finished my Marauder and my main is a Juggernaut, I'm about melee'd out.

• Locked thread