Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck: What the hell is going on??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

mia fey didn't die for this

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Yknow far be it from me to question our nation's sterling legal system but I'm starting to get the feeling that things might be a little hosed up if they're putting birds on the witness stand.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Double post

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dude is loving indicting Von Karma for DL-6! :psyduck:

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I... I don't think I trust the prosecutor's office anymore..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What the hell WAS that trial?! This Wright guy rules!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Death Priest posted:

I... I don't think I trust the prosecutor's office anymore..

I understand wanting to put away bad people as much as you can, but this poo poo is ridiculous. The end doesn't justify the means.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I don't really see the two as the same. Apollo's way more of a wet blanket than Phoenix ever was.

Phoenix is also secretly a huge dick in his mind in the original trilogy, despite being mostly really nice outwardly.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

"huh, the AA6 thread seems unusually active, I wonder if there was an announcement or...oh. Oh. Oh my god."

:allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

oath2order posted:

"Oh my god."

What more can be said? I can't believe such a renowned prosecutor turned out to be a murderer. 2016 has been a crazy year.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Von Karma loving raised Edgeworth. After killing his dad. And didn't go to the hospital for the bulletwound because he's that much of a loving paranoid crazy person.

We can still trust prosecutors, I think. Sure, VK was horrible, but he was just a big prosecutor with influence, we can still trust Lana Skye, and now that all of this has come to light I'm sure Damon Gant will try to smoke out any corruption in the prosecutor office.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Momomo posted:

I understand wanting to put away bad people as much as you can, but this poo poo is ridiculous. The end doesn't justify the means.

One of my teachers is always saying the opposite of this, though. I don't know if I can look at him after this.

(Also I'm very glad that none of us broke kayfabe the entire time, this was amazing.)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So I'm playing through Justice for All, and I had a thought about the case with the doctor who gets murdered during a challenging session in Kurain Village.

I was 100% sure that Ini Miney's halting ditzy speech pattern & bizarre memory lapses were a result of brain damage from the car accident.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just played through SoJ, really great game. Case 5 was good poo poo. I hope Prosecutor Sad Monk and the depressed forensics detective get to go on some nice dates once they finish their backlog of cases.

Also I'm gonna drop my hot take here and say that Blackquill is cool as both a japanophile and played straight as a badass ronin, and I'd be really disappointed if the localizers ever went too deep with the former and started having lots of "keikaku means plan" style moments with him or having him call people "baka gaijin".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackquill is both a japanophile loser and also the coolest drat dude and I love him. He's the best.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm finally getting around to playing through AA6, on the 2nd case.

I will cherish this smiling Ema forever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm on case 3 of SoJ and I'm in love with this game. It seems miles better than DD so far, and DD was a solid entry. Case 2 could have honestly passed for a final case with a few tweaks in a more Trucy focused game. The music also brings back a lot of the intensity of the old games which I thought was lacking in DD.

The seance gimmick is a cool twist and I love how at this point basically every lawyer has a superpower. Do the psyche locks make an appearance in SoJ? It'd be nice to see every single gimmick represented in a single game and Khu'rain seems like the perfect place for the magatama.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 3, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo the Plumed Punisher theme song is amazing, I was cracking up when I heard it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

I'm on case 3 of SoJ and I'm in love with this game. It seems miles better than DD so far, and DD was a solid entry. Case 2 could have honestly passed for a final case with a few tweaks in a more Trucy focused game. The music also brings back a lot of the intensity of the old games which I thought was lacking in DD.

The seance gimmick is a cool twist and I love how at this point basically every lawyer has a superpower. Do the psyche locks make an appearance in SoJ? It'd be nice to see every single gimmick represented in a single game and Khu'rain seems like the perfect place for the magatama.

I believe they do a couple times. If I remember correctly, every lawyer's special ability appears about twice each.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'll admit, I found the seance stuff was pretty novel, though I still preferred Athena's.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really appreciate that they're delving more into the supernatural aspects, and after finishing the first day in court on case 3 I suspect that channeling spirits is going to play a huge role in this trial if my current theory is correct.

Supernatural elements with pretty clear rules playing into the mysteries was one of my favorite parts of AA3's final case.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
lol that reminds me, I started (and didn't finish at the time due to losing my save) the franchise with DD, then about a year later I played from the start and kept wondering one thing "how does this spirit medium stuff work? it'll probably be vague and open to interpretation at most, right?" since the Yokai stuff in DD was drastically "fake" and then Mia's ghost took over Maya's body and my supernatural adventures began.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh god I'm on case 3 second trial day This is not how I was expecting the spirit channeling to work out, Tahrust is WAY too comfortable with his new body.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok wow, I just finished case 3. If case 2 was like a finale from one of the lesser AA games, case 3 was like the finale from AA3 with all the same emotional weight. If this game can keep up this amazing pace it's easily on track to either tying AAI2 and AA3 for my favorite games in the series or even topping them. I'm sure case 4 will ease up a bit, but I'm expecting great things from the final case.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I think AA6 is as good as AA3 and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

AA6-4 has nothing to do with the plot of the game at large though, though I still liked it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

AA6 would be the best of the series if it had an even passable prosecutor. As it stands I rate it above what is already a good average.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm playing through AA6, and I'm just finding it okay so far. Playing through case 4 at the moment, which seems pretty out of place in the story. While I really liked case 2 (Probably my favorite in the game so far), and liked case 3 as well, the prosecutor is just kind of a dick, and not a really funny one either. His insult gimmick got pretty old fast. Not liking the Khura'in name puns either, they just seem kind of lazy what with them being words spelled differently and having apostrophes stuck in random places.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm playing through AA6, and I'm just finding it okay so far. Playing through case 4 at the moment, which seems pretty out of place in the story. While I really liked case 2 (Probably my favorite in the game so far), and liked case 3 as well, the prosecutor is just kind of a dick, and not a really funny one either. His insult gimmick got pretty old fast. Not liking the Khura'in name puns either, they just seem kind of lazy what with them being words spelled differently and having apostrophes stuck in random places.

I grew to enjoy how thoroughly cheesy the Khura'in names were, but I agree. Case 2 is one of my favorite cases in the series but all the rest are just okay. Case 1 is fun but feels very weird and hard to get into, case 3 is so slow until the very end where things get good, case 4 is fun and clever and I loved it but it's much more of a character piece than anything, and case 5 is a rollercoaster that didn't always land. The DLC has a nice aesthetic but strange pacing.

I like Nahyuta more than some but less than others. He's okay.

All in all this game is probably as good as Justice For All, which isn't really an insult since I love JFA, but it doesn't begin to touch AAI2 or DD as an overall package. There are no bad AA games though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MattTheDoctor posted:

There are no bad AA games though.

Vs. Professor Layton came dangerously close.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Plom Bar posted:

maya should've been bald

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Nah.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

I do not let the Laytonesque highly improbably and disappointing ending ruin for me what had so far been an incredible game full of fun and dramatic character moments and cool mysteries to figure out.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

PW vs Layton's multi-witness mechanic was probably my favourite out of all the games.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Settle down y'all, I said it was the closest in the series to being a bad game, not that it's actually bad.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not liking the Khura'in name puns either, they just seem kind of lazy what with them being words spelled differently and having apostrophes stuck in random places.

Yeah the names seemed especially lazy in this game, to the point where it's bugging me while I play it. They didn't even really make a token effort to make them sound like actual people.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

MattTheDoctor posted:

There are no bad AA games though.

How soon we forget Apollo Justice

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

How soon we forget Apollo Justice

I'm extremely triggered by this opinion.

If you ask me the closest the series comes to bad is AAI1 and DD, and both of those are still quite alright. AAI is a bit unremarkable and gets long in the tooth towards the end. DD's writing in general is kind of lame and it's way too easy. But I still enjoyed them both and AAI set up for its super excellent sequel so who am I to call them bad games.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Apollo Justice had it's moments here and there.

Case 4 of SoJ was pretty fantastic for a filler case. I never thought I'd warm up to Blackquill's character so much, but I love that weeaboo now. I kinda wish it wasn't so handholdy so you could really see Athena come into her own, but hearing Blackquill poo poo all over Sad Monk made it worth it.

It's also really starting to look like that hamburgers comic with Los Angeles' famous Rakugo theaters, Soba shops, and Karuta cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Capcom struck a delicate balance with making Simon both a weeaboo gently caress and a badass samurai, and by god they made it work.