Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Uncle Jam posted:

For women in STEM, I wonder how the costs of tuition are going to affect that. I already feel like American born students in STEM PhD degrees is cratering, I think partially due to tuition costs. The last hire in my dept was a foreign guy who drove to his first day of a 90k/yr entry level job in a tricked out Benz.

Riding that bachelor's debt all the way through your PhD is scary, I wonder if it unequally impacts decision based on gender.

I think its a combo of debt and a lack of use for a PhD. A PhD is good for

a) Academia
b) high end research

The Academia job market is a complete dumpster fire and you could have spent the last 5+ years slaving away on a PhD working your way up the corporate food chain instead for a research gig. Combined with grad programs that treat its students like garbagemen, why bother?

stone cold posted:

You know, I genuinely think it's a sexist thing, because how many media portrayals have we seen of teen dudes being all awkward about getting the talk.

I would've loved the talk!

I'm a dude and never got the talk. My parents never inquired about my (lack of) girlfriends either. Good thing I was lazy and incapable of getting a date if I was the literal last man on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder how much of the sexist attitude parents often have towards daughters vs. sons (not just with regards to sex, but also many other things) stems from the father vs the mother. I mean, obviously it can and does come from both parents, but I wonder if it's more common with one than the other. I have a strong hunch that if I were a girl my dad would have been less cool with the idea of me having sex than my mom (this is coming from a non-religious, non-conservative family).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

stone cold posted:

We both got lucky.

Things like this, :sigh:

One of my major policy desires is federally controlled standards for sex ed so that everybody understands birth control, consent, and also how female reproductive anatomy loving works.

Yeah, I want to yell at people who think that because a egg is fertilized, it's automatically a life. If they only knew that the female body eliminates fertilized eggs all the time and most people don't even know it.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I want to yell at people who think that because a egg is fertilized, it's automatically a life. If they only knew that the female body eliminates fertilized eggs all the time and most people don't even know it.

Well, considering that Republicans are already trying to criminalize miscarriages, it might actually be smarter to leave them in the dark about this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Well, considering that Republicans are already trying to criminalize miscarriages, it might actually be smarter to leave them in the dark about this.

Well, if they want to criminalize sex, I guess this would be the best way.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My mom never cared about curfews or anything. I never got "the talk", but I had an excellent Bio 30 teacher who gave us all booklets about what is happening during each week of pregnancy and even brought in various forms of birth control for us to look at.

I think my mom just presumed I was responsible enough to take care of myself, so she didn't care if I was out until 2am with older friends of mine.

What she didn't know was that I was in a polyamorous relationship with a guy 8 years my senior that I met through the internet. I consider myself lucky, 'cause that situation could have gone really really bad for me, but it ended up teaching me how to be a responsible adult.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Meanwhile, in my state...
Saw that today and just cringed. Because that went so well for NC.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Kentucky is trying the same thing. Except its a Democrat pushing both a bathroom bill and a "religious freedom" bill

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/ky-legislature/2017/01/04/bathroom-bill-filed-ky---democrat/96148866/

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

BedBuglet posted:

Fresh out of college I found myself in a room with about 70 people with majors covering every single major STEM discipline. We were all applying for a handful of open positions at what was/is my dream job. Of those 70 something people, there were 4 women. I and one other woman were the only people offered jobs. In a room that was overwhelmingly male, the only people offered jobs were women and that stuck in my craw for weeks. I kept feeling like I was hired because of diversity and not because of how intelligent I was or qualified I was. Then I realized how toxic that kind of thinking is. It doesn't matter why I was hired, what matters is that I am intelligent and am qualified and anyone who has worked with me knows it and would go to bat for me if anyone claimed otherwise. Maybe I have to work twice as hard to prove that I belong there but what matters is that I am proving that on a day to day basis.

Even if you happen to be less qualified, so what? You wouldn't be the only person who got ahead not purely by merit. A lot of people get jobs through connections or nepotism. Being a diversity hire is certainly no worse than that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

silence_kit posted:

Even if you happen to be less qualified, so what? You wouldn't be the only person who got ahead not purely by merit. A lot of people get jobs through connections or nepotism. Being a diversity hire is certainly no worse than that.

That's exactly the kind of toxic thinking that was being described and it's disgraceful comparing diverse hiring practices to nepotism and connections.

Shame on you, and how dare you insinuate that diversity hires are necessarily less qualified.

edit: oh you're silence_kit

get the gently caress outta here

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

stone cold posted:

Shame on you, and how dare you insinuate that diversity hires are necessarily less qualified.

I never said that they necessarily were. Pretending that all diversity hires are hyper-qualified is wishful thinking though.

I'm just saying that it's not unusual to get a job not purely on your own merit, so why should diversity hires feel bad about it when when beneficiaries of nepotism do not?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

I never said that they necessarily were. Pretending that all diversity hires are hyper-qualified is wishful thinking though.

I'm just saying that it's not unusual to get a job not purely on your own merit, so why should diversity hires feel bad about it when when beneficiaries of nepotism do not?

First of all, it's insulting to compare the two, since the comparison necessarily invites the idea that diversity hires are incompetent, which is untrue.

Second of all, you've never actually interacted with a nepotism hire.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

silence_kit posted:

No, you just implied it. You've been asked to stay out of this thread, stay out.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Sexism is when a woman makes less than a man but the man still gets the job despite both being equal. So it is a good thing to not pick the man for the job.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how much of the sexist attitude parents often have towards daughters vs. sons (not just with regards to sex, but also many other things) stems from the father vs the mother. I mean, obviously it can and does come from both parents, but I wonder if it's more common with one than the other. I have a strong hunch that if I were a girl my dad would have been less cool with the idea of me having sex than my mom (this is coming from a non-religious, non-conservative family).

I'm not sure it's entirely sexism, but might at least be partially based in practicality. Traditionally, you worry that your daughter could become pregnant and left to care for the baby alone by some deadbeat. You didn't have to worry about that with a son (unspokenly implying that said son has the option of being a deadbeat). Today the roles could very well be reversed in some states. A daughter has the option of an abortion in case of an accidental pregnancy, where a son who makes the same mistake has no option but what his partner chooses (this is as it should be, as bodily autonomy is beyond important). It's imperative to teach our sons the possible consequences, and how to take responsibility for them. This includes teaching enthusiastic consent, safe sex, contraception, etc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Interesting to think how I was raised. My father was an abusive alcoholic, and while I was the older one I got put in the mediator role and because my grades were good I got no real guidance. There was no talk, just a bunch of "what are you gay?" due to my non dating. And I mean now yes I am gay but that's because I like women. :v:

My younger sister however...She got the raw end of the deal. She would act out and get into massive fights with both my parents. She got into drinking and drugs and that ended with my parents getting her arrested and charged with possession as a mean to control her. Any acting out by her was a huge transgression, while I was asked why I never asserted myself.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Eimi posted:

Interesting to think how I was raised. My father was an abusive alcoholic, and while I was the older one I got put in the mediator role and because my grades were good I got no real guidance. There was no talk, just a bunch of "what are you gay?" due to my non dating. And I mean now yes I am gay but that's because I like women. :v:

Yeah, I can relate with that. For me it was my mother. It's hard when the people you are supposed to be able to look up to as kids are just flawed humans.

Also, yay for liking girls! Boobs meet with my approval as well.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 6, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure which post of mine in this thread caused whoever has redtexted me 3 times to wish death on me and accuse me of hating women, but I would ask whoever it is to please match my donation to RAINN before deciding if they want to do it a 4th time. You'll feel a lot better and help people in need.

https://donate.rainn.org/

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Deified Data posted:

I'm not sure which post of mine in this thread caused whoever has redtexted me 3 times to wish death on me and accuse me of hating women, but I would ask whoever it is to please match my donation to RAINN before deciding if they want to do it a 4th time. You'll feel a lot better and help people in need.

https://donate.rainn.org/

Please don't smugbrag about your donation in here as means to attack me or tb for your dumb redtext. Neither of us is dumb enough to spend actual real money on `lame internet burns.`

Thanks for your donation though, and is RAINN thread still up, be sure to cross post.

Now did you have anything of value to contribute on-topic, say double standards in sex ed, or how sexism in policing has led to a significantly higher rate of arrest for teenage girls?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

stone cold posted:

Please don't smugbrag about your donation in here as means to attack me or tb for your dumb redtext. Neither of us is dumb enough to spend actual real money on `lame internet burns.`

Thanks for your donation though, and is RAINN thread still up, be sure to cross post.

Now did you have anything of value to contribute on-topic, say double standards in sex ed, or how sexism in policing has led to a significantly higher rate of arrest for teenage girls?

Wait what? Is this a new thing?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Talmonis posted:

The article I posted last page?

e:

quote:

The arrest patterns revealed surprising age and gender biases: Female offenders were nearly 2.5 times more likely than males to be arrested, while adolescents were 4.5 times more likely than adults to face arrest.The arrest patterns revealed surprising age and gender biases: Female offenders were nearly 2.5 times more likely than males to be arrested, while adolescents were 4.5 times more likely than adults to face arrest.

stone cold fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 5, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gently caress :(

http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/ryan-obamacare-repeal-will-strip-planned-parenthood-of-funding/

GOP will strip Planned Parenthood of funding while repealing ACA - Despite lack of replacement legislation, GOP plans for repeal in coming weeks. posted:

As Republican lawmakers eagerly prepare to scrap President Obama’s signature healthcare legislation, the Affordable Care Act, they’ve announced that while doing so, they'll also strip funding from Planned Parenthood.

In a press conference Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) confirmed that “Planned Parenthood legislation would be in our reconciliation bill” when asked about potential defunding. The reconciliation bill is the budgetary tool that Republicans plan to use to dismantle the ACA with a simple majority and without the potential for a filibuster. A straight repeal would require a 60-vote supermajority in the Senate, which the Republicans don’t have. A straight repeal would also open the possibility of a filibuster. (For more on how that process would work, check out Ars’ previous coverage on this matter.)

Republicans have long railed against Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider. A 2015 reconciliation bill, put forth by Tom Price (R-Ga.), President-elect Trump’s nominee for the secretary of health and human services, also defunded Planned Parenthood. That legislation made it through the House and Senate, but it was vetoed by President Obama.

Since 1976, federal law prohibits the use of federal funds to pay for abortion. However, abortion providers can still receive federal funding to provide other healthcare services.

In 2014 (the most recent data available), Planned Parenthood received around $553 million in federal funding, which makes up about 43 percent of its overall funding. The organization runs more than 650 health centers around the country, serving around 2.5 million patients a year.
Despite abortion services drawing the most attention, abortions make up only about three percent of Planned Parenthood’s work. Of the nearly 9.5 million services Planned Parenthood provided in 2014, 4.2 million (45 percent) of those services were related to testing and treating sexually transmitted infections. Thirty-one percent, or 2.9 million services, were for birth control. The rest were largely for pregnancy testing, cancer screening, and other health services such as urinary tract infections and adoption referrals.

“Defunding Planned Parenthood is dangerous to people’s health, it's unpopular, and it would leave people across the country without care,” president of Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Cecile Richards, said in a statement responding to Ryan's comments.

The combination of defunding Planned Parenthood and repealing ACA is a double-whammy for women, particularly those of low income. With an ACA repeal, 55 million women would lose access to no-copay preventive services, such as STI screening, pap tests, and cancer screening, according to Planned Parenthood.

Republican leaders are expected to introduce and pass the ACA-dismantling, Planned Parenthood-defunding bill as soon as next month. However, the lawmakers have yet to come up with a replacement for the legislation, which could leave the healthcare industry in years-long limbo and/or cause millions of Americans to lose health insurance coverage.

Note that they're planning on doing this in the next couple months despite having literally no plan in place for healthcare afterwards. They're literally winging it to the tune of a $350B cost. Supposedly there are a significant chunk of republicans who realize how loving insanely bad of an idea dismantling the current healthcare system without having a plan for the new system is, so we can only pray that this poo poo gets delayed out of existence (it probably won't though). I have no idea how the PP defunding could possibly be disentangled from the ACA repeal bill, too :smithicide:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kelp Me! posted:

gently caress :(

http://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/ryan-obamacare-repeal-will-strip-planned-parenthood-of-funding/

Note that they're planning on doing this in the next couple months despite having literally no plan in place for healthcare afterwards. They're literally winging it to the tune of a $350B cost. Supposedly there are a significant chunk of republicans who realize how loving insanely bad of an idea dismantling the current healthcare system without having a plan for the new system is, so we can only pray that this poo poo gets delayed out of existence (it probably won't though). I have no idea how the PP defunding could possibly be disentangled from the ACA repeal bill, too :smithicide:

:sigh:

Also, wasn't there that dumbass Bush-appointee judge down in Texas that had an injunction against Medicare to fund Planned Parenthood?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

stone cold posted:

:sigh:

Also, wasn't there that dumbass Bush-appointee judge down in Texas that had an injunction against Medicare to fund Planned Parenthood?

Yes :smith: it's due to be defunded in TX on the 21st, but PP is trying to fight it:

http://jezebel.com/planned-parenthood-asks-texas-federal-judge-to-stop-pla-1790658708

Planned Parenthood Asks Texas Federal Judge to Stop Planned Medicaid Cuts posted:

In a request filed late Friday in Austin, Planned Parenthood has asked a federal judge in Texas to halt the plan to cut its funding from the state’s Medicaid program.

The AP reports that the request is a part of a larger lawsuit filed last year, which was in response to controversial and highly-edited videos released by anti-abortion organization Center for Medical Progress that purportedly showed Planned Parenthood officials selling fetal tissue. The decision to officially cut Planned Parenthood out of the state’s Medicaid program came on December 20th, leaving the organization 15 days to appeal the decision. It seems that they are doing so, just under the wire.

Planned Parenthood’s request is not without precedent; judges in Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi have stopped similar situations from taking place as a result of the videos and their ensuing controversy. In the request for injunction, Planned Parenthood wrote, “Courts have unanimously prevented these terminations and agreed that preventing Medicaid enrollees from obtaining care from the qualified provider of their choice violates federal law.”

Planned Parenthood is set to be cut off as soon as January 21, pending any decision from the judge. A hearing for the case had been previously set for January 17. Ideally the judge will look to precedent and grant the request, allowing thousands of women who depend on Planned Parenthood for essential services like cancer screenings and birth control to continue to do so.
Megan Reynolds

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I don't even want to think about all the terrible poo poo that is going to happen over the next 4-8 years. Like every time my mind heads in that direction it just goes "nope!" and recoils.

Also, to elaborate a bit on why the guy comparing (possible) diversity hires to nepotism was dumb, the whole point of diversity hires is to off-set bias against diversity hires, so basically the status quo is one where (on average) there's some degree of unfair advantage given to (usually) white male hires.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

A study in Massachusetts found that when called out on a domestic violence claims alleged female offenders were arrested at a significantly higher rate than alleged male offenders. Arrest rates for boys are of course substantially higher than girls generally.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Patrick Spens posted:

A study in Massachusetts found that when called out on a domestic violence claims alleged female offenders were arrested at a significantly higher rate than alleged male offenders. Arrest rates for boys are of course substantially higher than girls generally.

Well, right, that was in the article and the study linked. I guess the better phrased question is what to do going forward with regards to harmonizing the VAWA with state and local law enforcement such that we're not tossing girls in jail for 'throwing Barbie dolls at their parents.'

I mean, in the article linked, that 15 year old died in police custody for literally no reason.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Eimi posted:

Any acting out by her was a huge transgression, while I was asked why I never asserted myself.

This reminds me of a pair of sisters I know. One is constantly told she should dress and present herself more femininely, while the other is scolded for taking too long in the bathroom on her hair and makeup, and told she looks "like a streetwalker".

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I hope everyone remembers when young and/or impoverished women were getting mutilated in back alleys to terminate their unwanted pregnancy because we're going back to that! Planned parenthood is getting de-funded weeeeee.

Hopefully it will limp on with donations so women who need it can still get access to healthcare but this is some bullshit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TerminalSaint posted:

This reminds me of a pair of sisters I know. One is constantly told she should dress and present herself more femininely, while the other is scolded for taking too long in the bathroom on her hair and makeup, and told she looks "like a streetwalker".

I've heard the dynamic of peacemaker and hell raiser is common in families with an abusive alcoholic, at least a couple of my therapists have told me that. And it's hard to compare my situation to the one they went through as I still had to present as male then.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

stone cold posted:

Moving away from mediachat, and Kylo Renchat, a sad story out of Kentucky that highlights a greater point:

quote:

A study of nearly 1,000 girls’ criminal files in California, for example, found that most cases stemmed from “nonserious, mutual combat, situations with parents.” One girl reported that she was arrested for assault after hurling a Barbie at her mother. In another case, a girl threw a sheet of cookies.

“There is a reflexive incarceration of girls for behavior that would better be described as everyday adolescent rebellion than juvenile delinquency,” Lindsay Rosenthal, senior program associate and gender justice fellow with the Vera Institute’s Center on Youth Justice, told Jezebel.

Criminologists also suggest that the changes in policing practices with respect to domestic disputes are to blame. In one study, data from police records of 320 domestic violence calls in five Massachusetts jurisdictions operating under a pro-arrest statute found that less than half (47 percent) involved intimate partner violence. The arrest patterns revealed surprising age and gender biases: Female offenders were nearly 2.5 times more likely than males to be arrested, while adolescents were 4.5 times more likely than adults to face arrest.

Hmm.

The study referenced in the Jezebel article is The Impact of Relationship Status, Gender, and Minor Status in the Police Response to Domestic Assaults.

Here is what the linked study has to say about gender bias in arrest patterns:

quote:

Of great interest is the impact of gender on the odds for arrest. In this
study, gender had no significant effect on the response to intimate partner or
stranger cases. Thus, no support is provided for the hypothesis that the
increase in the number of female arrests in intimate partner violence cases
can be attributed to their disproportionate arrest rate for minor offenses.

However, the fact that males and females are equally likely to be arrested
may be evidence of an increase in female arrests, assuming in the past
males were more likely to be arrested. No longer are females treated more
leniently. Faced with similar circumstances, responding officers are as
likely to arrest a female offender as they are a male offender.
However,
arrests were more likely in other domestic and acquaintance cases if the
offender was male. Thus, in these cases, there is some evidence that
females are treated more leniently than males. The presence of a mandatory
arrest law again had a mediating effect, equalizing to a great extent the
response whether the offender was male or female; the presence of a
preferred arrest law had a similar effect in other domestic cases.

It's Jezebel, but come on! The figures quoted by the blogger are not supported by the study, and the study's findings are pretty much the opposite of those implied by the blog post. Mandatory and preferred arrest statues actually promote gender balance in domestic violence arrests, for better or worse.

Patrick Spens posted:

Like...this claim is specifically not in line with the study. The study found that arrest rates for domestic violence calls were not significantly different based on gender in juristictions with mandatory or preferred arrest statutes, except for a couple of specific cases in which men were still more likely to be arrested.

Also the study was published in 2007, and relied on data collected in 2000. So it might be representitive or not of the state of affairs in 2017 but it's not a hot new item we should be Real Outraged about rather than trying to take in context.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The article referenced several studies. The claim about "Female offenders were nearly 2.5 times more likely than males to be arrested, while adolescents were 4.5 times more likely than adults to face arrest," comes from this study, not the one you quoted.

Edit: More accurately you wrote the title of the article correct in your post but somehow linked (and possibly quoted) a completely different article on a similar topic.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 6, 2017

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

The article referenced several studies. The claim about "Female offenders were nearly 2.5 times more likely than males to be arrested, while adolescents were 4.5 times more likely than adults to face arrest," comes from this study, not the one you quoted.

Edit: More accurately you wrote the title of the article correct in your post but somehow linked (and possibly quoted) a completely different article on a similar topic.

Yep, I am dumb.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Yep, I am dumb.

I'm glad we all agree on that at least.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Have you read deeply into the study you just linked? The authors have this to say about the relation between gender and odds of arrest, as well as what factors were most significant to the odds of arrest:

quote:

These analyses also find partial support for the increased odds of arrest
for domestic violence as a function of relationship status, gender and age. All
three of these variables were significant at the bivariate level, but of the three,
only household status was linked to the likelihood of arrest in a multivariate
context. The odds of arrest are largely influenced by characteristics of the incident
itself.
Arrest was more likely to occur when victims sustained a physical
injury, when they were threatened with harm or when the conditions of a
restraining order had been violated. Children or siblings who assaulted a
blood relative had significantly greater odds of arrest than other domestic
relationships regardless of victim injury, threat, or protective order violation.
Police are much more likely to utilize arrest when a parent is the complainant
than they are for holders of other family statuses. The idea that one of the latent
effects of domestic violence pro-arrest policies is the use of law enforcement to
reinforce parental authority was supported in this study and is worthy of further
inquiry. However, it is possible that police may see certain victims as
more vulnerable as in cases where the aggressor is a teenage male.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wateroverfire posted:

Yep, I am dumb.

To be fair, I'd be a little cautious of these sorts of stories (not in the "they're all lying whores" sense, but in the "just read the study first" sense) because the reporting on scientific studies is loving terrible. There are tons of examples, but one example was about a male contraception study where it was widely reported that men dropped out due to minor side effects.

The reality was the WHO stopped the study due to serious safety concerns even though the vast majority of men wanted to continue on - this was spelled out in plain English under it's own clearly labeled section.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Just posting to say that the Politics of Housework link that Tiny Brontosaurus gave led me to a "couldn't find this article" page. I found a replacement for that great read here: https://caringlabor.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/pat-mainardi-the-politics-of-housework/

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Ytlaya posted:

Man, I don't even want to think about all the terrible poo poo that is going to happen over the next 4-8 years. Like every time my mind heads in that direction it just goes "nope!" and recoils.

Also, to elaborate a bit on why the guy comparing (possible) diversity hires to nepotism was dumb, the whole point of diversity hires is to off-set bias against diversity hires, so basically the status quo is one where (on average) there's some degree of unfair advantage given to (usually) white male hires.

Speaking from a Canadian perspective, I'm with every American woman in solidarity. It's going to be a long four years, all uphill I think.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Let's do it, let's talk about Hillary in the feminism thread.

It bugs me real bad to hear people discuss the election and why Hillary lost because it seems agreed-upon that sexism was the least of our problems. After all, Hillary lost white women! To me, Hillary losing white women doesn't mean that sexism wasn't a problem, it more says to me that the wombo combo of internalized sexism plus racism was enough to do her in.

I'm having trouble fully articulating my thoughts on this because the whole thing is such a loving bummer. Is Hillary a perfect person? gently caress no. But as Koalas March and blackguy32 mentioned in the Negrotown thread today, she fuckin works her rear end off. Lady gets poo poo done and lord knows probably would have had an even more exasperating presidency than Obama did, but was still game for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Hawkgirl posted:

Let's do it, let's talk about Hillary in the feminism thread.

It bugs me real bad to hear people discuss the election and why Hillary lost because it seems agreed-upon that sexism was the least of our problems. After all, Hillary lost white women! To me, Hillary losing white women doesn't mean that sexism wasn't a problem, it more says to me that the wombo combo of internalized sexism plus racism was enough to do her in.

I'm having trouble fully articulating my thoughts on this because the whole thing is such a loving bummer. Is Hillary a perfect person? gently caress no. But as Koalas March and blackguy32 mentioned in the Negrotown thread today, she fuckin works her rear end off. Lady gets poo poo done and lord knows probably would have had an even more exasperating presidency than Obama did, but was still game for that poo poo.

I have heard a lot about how she only has herself to blame, that the Democrats should have never nominated a person who is hated so much. Never mind that some of the basis for the hatred of her is her husband, and some comes from her being unwilling to be forced into the role of traditional wife and mother. You're right about the role of internalized sexism. I think that is mostly where her difficulties with white women actually came from. We have expectations of ourselves to be able to do it all, and an (unfortunate) tendency to judge other women for their (perceived) shortcomings, because they remind us that we are also imperfect.

Yes, she worked her rear end off and always has. We have to.

• Locked thread