Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile, I was going to compliment Naughty Dog.

Still will, as a matter of fact. That timing is brilliant.

Having Elena come in right as Nathan's on the ground keeps the player off balance enough that they're fully distracted by the flashback instead of focusing on Sam being an rear end in a top hat with the Alcazar lie. When it's back to the present (with the flashback further showing how much Nate and Sam meant to each other in addition to playing up the central "don't sacrifice your family life for lost pirate treasure" themes) we get a few moments confirming that Nate and Elena's relationship (the one thing at risk the player might be mad at Sam for, since getting shot at by mercenaries is just, for the player, an excuse for more fun setpieces) is still more or less in one piece before the Alcazar thing comes up, which has Nathan call out Sam and make plans to just extract him and go rather than stay on the hunt, finishing off with a reminder that Nathan's lies did endanger his marriage.

It's set up so that a player in the moment, even a picky one, won't have time to criticize the reveal before being sent to a slightly standalone setpiece, after which (with enough time away for the player for it not to feel cheap, while hitting the characters with it the moment after) we get the narrative beats to soften Sam's position while still acknowledging his jackass move.

The game's story isn't perfect, but it's very good at keeping the balls in the air, or at least at making you look away when one's about to hit the ground. I'm not sure if my earlier complaints are rescinded, exactly, but they were made much, much less relevant thanks to how this whole scene was handled. I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Evelyn had to die so the chapter could have an action setpiece.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Evelyn had to die so the chapter could have an action setpiece.

A noble sacrifice.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I feel them going on the run is at least partly excusable by the fact that they're just dumb kids. Also, Sam has a record already, but he seems very intent to make sure Nathan doesn't get one. I mean, he does anyway but at the time they are adrenaline filled and stupid, plus rash decisions are pretty par for the course for the Drake boys I'd say.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

Seriously this was a chill chapter that just had the dumbest conclusion.

She should've exploded after she died.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Josuke Higashikata posted:

and I hope Nate was a bit more vague and evasive about the bit where he left an old woman to die to his wife.

There was an entire police department there and a bunch ran into the house, I'm sure they found her.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

She should've exploded after she died.

The mansion should have started to collapse. Seems like a waste of a perfectly decent Uncharted boss encounter. She had a gun, the Morgan-Drakes killed her, what is this building still doing here.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, Nate also ran away from an orphanage which may or may not report him as missing. that with the fact that they know he has an older brother and that they're both trouble makers might be enough to put them on watch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Seriously this was a chill chapter that just had the dumbest conclusion.

Yeah, it sticks out as a bum storytelling note in a game that otherwise avoids those pretty decently.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Sam is supposed to be a criminal kid, but he keeps yelling Nathans name while surrounded by police. What the gently caress dude even I know you don't use names during a crime, much less when police is standing next to you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah this story is hilariously dumb. As the World Turns for gamers.

The Uncharted games are like the video game equivalent of (good) summer blockbusters: compelling characters, stirring music, great visuals, lots of fun action and adventure, but a plot that falls apart if you think about it too hard. Uncharted 4 is a cut above the rest just because it does such a good job of turning itself into a really personal, character-driven story, but the whole "old lady just keels over" thing is pretty dumb.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Having Elena come in right as Nathan's on the ground keeps the player off balance enough that they're fully distracted by the flashback instead of focusing on Sam being an rear end in a top hat with the Alcazar lie. When it's back to the present (with the flashback further showing how much Nate and Sam meant to each other in addition to playing up the central "don't sacrifice your family life for lost pirate treasure" themes) we get a few moments confirming that Nate and Elena's relationship (the one thing at risk the player might be mad at Sam for, since getting shot at by mercenaries is just, for the player, an excuse for more fun setpieces) is still more or less in one piece before the Alcazar thing comes up, which has Nathan call out Sam and make plans to just extract him and go rather than stay on the hunt, finishing off with a reminder that Nathan's lies did endanger his marriage.

It's set up so that a player in the moment, even a picky one, won't have time to criticize the reveal before being sent to a slightly standalone setpiece, after which (with enough time away for the player for it not to feel cheap, while hitting the characters with it the moment after) we get the narrative beats to soften Sam's position while still acknowledging his jackass move.

The game's story isn't perfect, but it's very good at keeping the balls in the air, or at least at making you look away when one's about to hit the ground. I'm not sure if my earlier complaints are rescinded, exactly, but they were made much, much less relevant thanks to how this whole scene was handled. I'm impressed.

But, despite Elena's save, she has put Nathan on notice. She loves him, but will not put up with his crap forever.

"Hey, thanks for the save."
"I almost didn't."

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bruceski posted:

"we're two orphans in a city, the only person who knew anything about us is dead, and we didn't steal anything from there that they could watch pawnshops for. Better go on the run so they don't find us."

they left the photo

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Personally, I'm taking this as conclusive proof that Elena got one of those animal tracking chips implanted under Drake's skin at some point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The end is admittedly a little dumb but I love how this chapter tells a complete story in the margins in line with the general themes of the game.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really liked that, too.

You see this woman explorer give up everything for another adventure. She loses her husband and finally her son. Every picture you see of her, she's sad.

Sad when she's with her family because she wants to be off exploring. Sad when she on her own on the cover of the magazine, because she knows what she's lost but just can't stop.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I am so ready for Nathan + Elena buddy combat animations

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Evelyns death and the boys going on the lamb has to happen to propel the boys further on their street urchin careers. It's the final severing of ties to their current lives that lets them go adventuring. It's not in believable that Sam and Nate would be connected to the break in considering Sams record and Nate's inevitable missing persons report from the orphanage. The cops sporting them is just a dramatic way of reinforcing it and the thing breaking instead of just being spotted by the cops is just more drama.

And the million cops responding to a not too serious crime is the most realistic thing. That house costs a gajillion dollars. Of course the cops will respond in force.

Also i thought Evelyn would end up being Rafes grandmother of something.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll second this, and I kinda wish the episode cut hadn't happened where it did. Even with just a little snippet of Elena rushing to Nathan's side I'd have been back on the hook instead of going "well all that just happened".

SpookyLizard posted:

Same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chip Cheezum posted:

In this episode, Nate finally finds what I believe to be Avery's true treasure.

At 5:45 in the video you come across this:

In an example of the awesome little details they put into these games, guess what I own?

Someone obviously sat down and looked up early 20th century sewing machines and made a pretty good model of one just for that desk.

They come desk mounted with a pedal drive too, mine is just portable. They also made electric motors for them in the 40's and 50's.

These games really do have some amazingly good environment artists on them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 5, 2017

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Uncharted being the new Tomb Raider is a pretty tired joke by this point but I'm a bit disappointed they did the same thing Crystal Dynamics did when they took over the series. Where instead of the main character doing something because of their own reasons it's just continuing their dead parents work and linage as treasure hunters/rogue archaeologists, I feel like it ruins a bit of the characters agency. Though at least it doesn't look like we'll have Sully dying meaninglessly while telling Nate that he's " A True Morgan".

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

SpookyLizard posted:

I was expecting her to end up being Nate's great-grandmother (i.e. their mom was the daughter mentioned in Edward's letter). It would explain how and why she had all those journals - she'd finally made a familial connection, only for it to be taken away. But I guess that would have been too tidy, not to mention the plot-hole over why Nate and Sam weren't living with her.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man Nate and Sam's dad was a giant rear end in a top hat

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

it seems to me that naughty dog will make a comparison between Nate, Sam, and Rafe, and Jesus, Dismas, and Gestas.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
You mentioned the developers were inspired by Gone Home, and wow does it show. That type of game-story-telling is fantastic, and something I would wish to see implemented in more games (tho not just in exploring houses, of course).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

There was an entire police department there and a bunch ran into the house, I'm sure they found her.

Of course they would, and he also clearly didn't want to do it, but he did do it and it's a really scummy thing even in the circumstances. It's the kind of thing you neatly lie around if you're telling a story in real life. You'd definitely forgive him either way, he was a kid. You'd just never actually expect anyone to slip that nugget of info in.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Imagine if Elena was fine with Nate but it was leaving a dead Evelyn that made her give up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Samovar posted:

You mentioned the developers were inspired by Gone Home, and wow does it show. That type of game-story-telling is fantastic, and something I would wish to see implemented in more games (tho not just in exploring houses, of course).

I dunno, while the chapter was nice and chill, it also works because of the rest of the game around it and where it's placed. Without that context it's just moving through a series of rooms with notes placed in places they should be placed. Not starting a debate on is/isn't a game. Just feel like this wouldn't work as strong if we'd been doing this when Sam had actually taken Nate back in Chapter 1, compared to a break from all the intense action.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Samizdata posted:

But, despite Elena's save, she has put Nathan on notice. She loves him, but will not put up with his crap forever.

"Hey, thanks for the save."
"I almost didn't."

There was definitely a group of dudes in the animation team who spent time in the proverbial doghouse with their spouses and had a serious conversation with each other about those times in some kind of semiofficial capacity for them to so, so so SO perfectly nail that i-love-you-but-i-am-seriously-close-to-losing-my-poo poo-here look Elena gives Nate at the end of the update. That really intense wide eyed gaze set in a too-calm face. Oh yeah. I know that look :smith:

Sure a lot of it is facial capture on a Pretty Good actor, but an art team still has to put the finer touches on that stuff. And they are some fine touches in that scene.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

OwlFancier posted:

In an example of the awesome little details they put into these games, guess what I own?

Someone obviously sat down and looked up early 20th century sewing machines and made a pretty good model of one just for that desk.

They come desk mounted with a pedal drive too, mine is just portable. They also made electric motors for them in the 40's and 50's.

Thats pretty cool. We have the pedal driven ones you mention. The sewer actually folds up so that you can use it as a desk top like ours is. The mechanics seem to still work too although it is missing the drive belt.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Willie Tomg posted:

There was definitely a group of dudes in the animation team who spent time in the proverbial doghouse with their spouses and had a serious conversation with each other about those times in some kind of semiofficial capacity for them to so, so so SO perfectly nail that i-love-you-but-i-am-seriously-close-to-losing-my-poo poo-here look Elena gives Nate at the end of the update. That really intense wide eyed gaze set in a too-calm face. Oh yeah. I know that look :smith:

Sure a lot of it is facial capture on a Pretty Good actor, but an art team still has to put the finer touches on that stuff. And they are some fine touches in that scene.

It's that "this is important and I am carefully scrutinising your face to see whether you actually get that" look which is utterly unforgettable when you've actually experienced it. I also love Nate's sheepish reaction and reluctance to meet that gaze. Definitely empathise.

A lot of great character stuff in this update. Sam comes across really well. "You keep your gun on me" flashes up briefly, but pretty much explains why Nate might hero-worship his brother and helps explain the lack of conviction in the line "what an rear end in a top hat, right?".

Plot may be wonky, but I'll forgive it for what it delivers in terms of character development.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Daduzi posted:

A lot of great character stuff in this update. Sam comes across really well. "You keep your gun on me" flashes up briefly, but pretty much explains why Nate might hero-worship his brother and helps explain the lack of conviction in the line "what an rear end in a top hat, right?".

With Nate looking at Elena while he delivers the line, I read it as Nate admitting that him making up the story about a treasure and a job and everything else in order to do something back handed was only something an rear end in a top hat would do.
It's kind of an admission/acknowledgement/apology combo.
At least, from my POV.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OwlFancier posted:

It wouldn't have taken much research. Everybody and their grandmother had a Singer back then, and while they added doodads like pedal-powered or motorized over the years, that iconic shape pretty much stayed the same. The one I got my mom is built into the table and can swivel underneath so you have a flat surface for measuring/cutting fabric.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dooky Dingo posted:

With Nate looking at Elena while he delivers the line, I read it as Nate admitting that him making up the story about a treasure and a job and everything else in order to do something back handed was only something an rear end in a top hat would do.
It's kind of an admission/acknowledgement/apology combo.
At least, from my POV.

yeah that's what it looked like to me. there was a "yeah i hosed up too and i totally realize that" subtext to it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

It wouldn't have taken much research. Everybody and their grandmother had a Singer back then, and while they added doodads like pedal-powered or motorized over the years, that iconic shape pretty much stayed the same. The one I got my mom is built into the table and can swivel underneath so you have a flat surface for measuring/cutting fabric.

They were so mass produced and popular that a LOT of people still use Singers. Just really solidly built machines that are pretty simple to use.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mokinokaro posted:

They were so mass produced and popular that a LOT of people still use Singers. Just really solidly built machines that are pretty simple to use.

It's the sewing machine equivalent of that cast-iron frying pan passed down from the great-grandmother.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bruceski posted:

"we're two orphans in a city, the only person who knew anything about us is dead, and we didn't steal anything from there that they could watch pawnshops for. Better go on the run so they don't find us."

Kids are dumb

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

guns for tits posted:

it seems to me that naughty dog will make a comparison between Nate, Sam, and Rafe, and Jesus, Dismas, and Gestas.

Maybe it will be multiple choice, like in The Lord of the Rings. Future generations of video game scholars will debate which of these Nates, Sams, Rafes, Nadines, Sullies and Elenas are the two towers thieves.

NineWheels
Jun 5, 2014
Anyone find it really conspicuous that the cops never open fire? Especially after they find the old women lying on the ground? Thank God Nate and Sam are white, I guess.

NineWheels fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

NineWheels posted:

Anyone find it really conspicuous that the cops never open fire? Especially after they find the old women lying on the ground? Thank God Nate and Sam are white, I guess.

I mean, it sounds like Evelyn called in and said there were "an adult and a child" intruding on her property, since that's the description they were passing around before Sam and Nate got spotted. I imagine there's some reluctance to open fire on a child.
(I agree that in an IRL situation they'd be more likely to mistake a black child as an adult, or to open fire regardless, though.)

• Locked thread