Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I bought and am going to drink a six pack of RED CHAIR NORTH WESTERN PALE ALE-----and it must be specifically Northwestern because nobody else would know the reference to the "red chair" of the now quasi-defunct Mount Hoodoo ski resort of Oregon, which has basically not opened in the last three years because of global warming and I'm extremely informed about this shut up

e: Oregon used to be a skiing state and it probably won't be when I die and that sucks.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

ruddiger posted:

Jesus Christ I don't know what's worse, the idea from Apple or the stories about some woman spraying someone with mace when they told her to turn off her phone or the cop murdering someone during the previews before Lone Survivor. :stare:

Well I'd say the one where people are injured is worse, but the Apple thing is definitely stupid as hell.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, drat. One of the inmates I've been in correspondence with requested some sheet music, and I'm trying to get it to him, but A) I can't find it for free anywhere, and B) even if I bought it, it gets watermarked with my name so that I can't legally distribute it to him, meaning the COs will probably destroy it. What a hassle.

Send them a tab

What is it? They publish a lot of modern music physically, you might be able to grab a book

Or hell, you could get someone to transcribe it for a few bucks, I'm sure

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 5, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just saw a TV spot for the new Underworld movie, and holy smokes that looks shockingly bad.

I doubt it makes even half it's production/marketing budget back after the worldwide take.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

I just saw a TV spot for the new Underworld movie, and holy smokes that looks shockingly bad.

I doubt it makes even half it's production/marketing budget back after the worldwide take.
International gross is a bit more than production budget so far, so it looks like they could break even.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The Peccadillo posted:

Send them a tab

What is it? They publish a lot of modern music physically, you might be able to grab a book

Or hell, you could get someone to transcribe it for a few bucks, I'm sure

It's Tim McGraw's "humble and kind," which makes all these suggestions about how to smuggle the sheets in a lot funnier. He apparently doesn't know how to read tabs though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's Tim McGraw's "humble and kind," which makes all these suggestions about how to smuggle the sheets in a lot funnier. He apparently doesn't know how to read tabs though.
Send him a tab and a book about how to read tabs.

He's got time to learn.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

One of my correspondents is a good-natured sweetheart that's dying to see the Assassin's Creed movie and is in a jailhouse dnd campaign and the other is a dark as gently caress murderer who lays around listening to outlaw country and thinking about the apocalypse.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Joined the DSA this morning. Talking to my coworker who I turned on to Chapo Trap House about opening a south Florida chapter.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To me it's always been more than a little shocking and pathetic just how utterly lost Apple seem without Jobs. Like, I never gave him that much credit but apparently he was the only one there that had any clue about anything

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

To me it's always been more than a little shocking and pathetic just how utterly lost Apple seem without Jobs. Like, I never gave him that much credit but apparently he was the only one there that had any clue about anything

It really seems like they've just been drinking their own coolaid. Like they totally believe that they are this monolithic entity that determines market trends and people will buy their stuff just because it's trendy. Yeah, that's true for now, but it's not a permanent status. They became that way because of accessibility and perceived quality. Now they are throwing both of those away for some abstract attempt at "innovation".

I was literally fed up with my lovely Lenovo and had decided my next laptoo would be a macbook pro. This was right before the new macbook with the touch bar was announced. There's now zero chance of me buying one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The new Macbook is such a perfect metaphor for the new Apple, it looks great, but to make it work it ends up with so much poo poo hanging off it it looks like it's on life support.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It really should have been a Vine of Hillary saying "iPhone. Apple Watch. MacBook Pro."

CelticPredator posted:

What the hell is wrong with Asa Butterfield in the Miss Peregrines.

He has zero emotion in every line. It's kinda funny, honestly.

I mean his character has mental health issues, but I'm not sure if he's doing a character thing or just bad at acting.

Knowing the director and the year it's made, this could easily be a case of poor direction.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Anonymous Robot posted:

One of my correspondents is a good-natured sweetheart that's dying to see the Assassin's Creed movie and is in a jailhouse dnd campaign and the other is a dark as gently caress murderer who lays around listening to outlaw country and thinking about the apocalypse.

So basically prison makes you a nerd, of a flavour suited to your character?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The new Macbook is such a perfect metaphor for the new Apple, it looks great, but to make it work it ends up with so much poo poo hanging off it it looks like it's on life support.

I get what they're trying for and that's admirable, even if it's not currently the most practical for all uses.

Back when I was in college, I had to plug in my mouse, an Ethernet cable, my printer via USB, and speakers. Plus anything else I needed to use. Even flash drives. On my current desktop, my printer, mouse, keyboard, and internet connection are all wireless. The only thing actually connected is my external backup drive. I could have gotten a model that's wireless. USB drives aren't as manditory anymore because you can upload stuff to iCloud or Google Drive now.

However, all this is dependent on whether Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are fast enough. Same reason why I don't think digital files are quite there yet for home video. If you have a fast enough device and a fast connection, great. If not...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically prison makes you a nerd, of a flavour suited to your character?

Piss off, I'm maintaining a relationship with the both of them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Piss off, I'm maintaining a relationship with the both of them.

No nerds around here. No sir.

I rolled a d20 and the encounter table clearly indicates no nerds present.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hostile V posted:

Oh poo poo that's right, this video. Pretty sure it was Jenny.

At this point, I can comfortably retire from posting, knowing I will be credited for every good thing that happened in this thread in the past year or so

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the most enraging moment in my entire posting career was still when, after like a year straight of trying to get people to watch Venus in Fur, having someone finally watch it and attribute the recommendation to Hundu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ahaha. I remember that very well and remember being confused at the resemblance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I get what they're trying for and that's admirable, even if it's not currently the most practical for all uses.

Back when I was in college, I had to plug in my mouse, an Ethernet cable, my printer via USB, and speakers. Plus anything else I needed to use. Even flash drives. On my current desktop, my printer, mouse, keyboard, and internet connection are all wireless. The only thing actually connected is my external backup drive. I could have gotten a model that's wireless. USB drives aren't as manditory anymore because you can upload stuff to iCloud or Google Drive now.

However, all this is dependent on whether Bluetooth or Wi-Fi are fast enough. Same reason why I don't think digital files are quite there yet for home video. If you have a fast enough device and a fast connection, great. If not...

Here's the thing though: they could have released the product that is the new macbook pro as some new product or as a new macbook air. They could have called it the new macbook art or whatever. But they should have made a safe and standard professional quality macbook pro that would be compatible with peoples existing needs. That's all they had to do.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
For the record, good things that can be attributed to me:

- Deep web exploration video series
- CPL wearing the shorts
- Jeff approaches the Clown, full of rage
- Popularizing the tag yourself meme in this thread

Good things that can be attributed to other lovely goons:

- Everything else

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the most enraging moment in my entire posting career was still when, after like a year straight of trying to get people to watch Venus in Fur, having someone finally watch it and attribute the recommendation to Hundu.

It was a hell of a payoff.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jenny Angel posted:

- CPL wearing the shorts

- Everything else

Night Mind was you wasn't it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Night Mind was you wasn't it?

Night Mind was Dickeye. What was "Jeff approaches the Clown"?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Night Mind was Dickeye. What was "Jeff approaches the Clown"?

The script pages, right? Those need to be reposted on the reg.

Here: https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/674310417536057345

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nothing can be attributed to me. I'm actually a bunch of embedded viral ads for bubblegum. All of this is randomly generated text from a pool of words chosen because they subconsciously remind people of the act of chewing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I'm probably a bot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

It really seems like they've just been drinking their own coolaid. Like they totally believe that they are this monolithic entity that determines market trends and people will buy their stuff just because it's trendy.

The problem is that it's genuinely difficult to replace a creative mind like Jobs' (and Jony Ive clearly isn't it). There's a reason The Walt Disney Company was kicking rear end and taking names left and right from 1984 - 1996 or so, and it's because they had a strong creative mind at the top in Eisney and an equally strong number-two guy working alongside him in Frank Wells, who not only kept all the trains running on time, smoothed over the ruffled feathers from Eisner's mercurial personality, and had the balls to say, "No, Michael, this is not, in fact, the greatest idea since sliced bread."

Apple had a similar structure between Jobs and Cook. Cook is absolutely brilliant when it comes to inventory management, logistics and procurement, and overall operations, but he's not a product visionary, so when engineers come to him with some goofy idea, he doesn't necessarily have the wherewithal to realize that maybe it isn't fantastic.

But they are still an entity that determines market trends. Case in point: HTC, Motorola and Samsung are all dumping the headphone jacks on their phones.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Walt Disney ... Eisney ... Eisner's .. Michael"

interesting evolution of the word "Disney" here

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jenny Angel posted:

- CPL wearing the shorts

- Everything else

I'm the only existing record of that guy who hosed a dog, so I have that going for me...

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
As long as we're attributing things from past GenChat threads, I'd like to properly attribute to Hat Thoughts the funniest thing posted in the entirety of the last thread, the concept of watching this video at half speed, on repeat, having had no sleep for 48 hours

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only notable thing I've contributed to the Internet is making this GIF about ten years ago:

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

- CPL wearing the shorts

Hey, what about the gift bonanza?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm the only existing record of that guy who hosed a dog, so I have that going for me...

Morally Inept?

Also I think the only good thing I've done for any gen chat is that Rick version of the SMG post from a page or two ago.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jenny Angel posted:

- CPL wearing the shorts

- Everything else

I think I can claim some credit for CPL wearing the shorts. My greatest contribution is surely :viggo: though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My greatest contribution to the forums was getting quoted in the New York Times :smug:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've just kinda been here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I think I can claim some credit for CPL wearing the shorts. My greatest contribution is surely :viggo: though.

You got me to stop using "alot" a lot

Honestly I don't know what lasting thing I can take credit for outside of the congratulations america things, which I think it mostly used by me anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I Before E posted:

Morally Inept?

Also I think the only good thing I've done for any gen chat is that Rick version of the SMG post from a page or two ago.

There was nothing good about that.

• Locked thread