Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Look, I just want someone to build a wall and keep the Cybermen out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Look, I just want someone to build a wall and keep the Cybermen out.

But they can fly now!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tossing out a recommendation for something I've been watching lately - if you enjoy the UNIT or "spy-fi" dimension of the Third Doctor, you might want to try Department S, which is very much like monster-of-the-week episodes of The X-Files as produced by the BBC in 1969.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 2, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tossing out a recommendation for something I've been watching lately - if you enjoy the UNIT or "spy-fi" dimension of the Third Doctor, you might want to try Department S, which is very much like monster-of-the-week episodes of The X-Files as produced by the BBC in 1969.
I'll quickly leap in and take the incredibly rare opportunity to plug my Department S review site. And yes, when it takes the sci-fi route it does indeed have a proto-X Files feel. (When it doesn't, unfortunately, it can be as dull and uninspired as The Baron or The Adventurer or other timeslot-filler ITC dross. So which episodes are which? You'll have to read the reviews!) Incidentally, Terry 'Daleks' Nation wrote two episodes, including the pilot, so there's a Who link for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hell, if you want some more Matt Smith-esque Doctor Who just watch The Librarians. I love that drat show, but they are not subtle about cribbing hard from the Eleventh Doctor run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the telemovies with Noah Wyle, though I understand he's not in the series (busy with Falling Skies, I suppose).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the telemovies with Noah Wyle, though I understand he's not in the series (busy with Falling Skies, I suppose).

Actually, he pops in every couple of episodes so as not to overshadow the regular cast, who are all very good in their own right.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Falling Skies finished last year, and don't get me started on a show with such wasted potential...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, he pops in every couple of episodes so as not to overshadow the regular cast, who are all very good in their own right.

Honestly it feels like he pops in every few episodes to remind the audience that hes the original and best Librarian and that the 4 new people can only just about do the job of one him. The show is enjoyable trash, but his character has a kind of poochie vibe at times, and is far less interesting than any of the regular cast. In fact if I remember right he disappears at the beginning of one season and the overarching plot is literally everyone going "Hey, wheres poochie?" til he turns up again. I never saw the original TV movies so thats probably a factor as I dont have any particular affection for the character compared to the new leads who they have spent seasons establishing the characters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ThaGhettoJew posted:

THE DO YOU NOT WANT TEA PAR-TY IS A GRASS-ROOTS CAM-PAIGN! THE A-MER-I-CAN EM-PIRE WILL NOT BE UND-ER-MINED BY SOC-IAL ME-DI-A FAL-A-CIES! THE PUR-I-TY OF THE PAR-TY'S GEE-OH-TEE O-PIN-IONS WILL BE RIG-OR-OUS-LY EN-FORCED!

EX-TER-MIN- LIKE AND DO-NATE! LIKE AND DO-NATE!

Did somebody say Dalek Tea Party?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVCj2gaerk

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SiKboy posted:

Honestly it feels like he pops in every few episodes to remind the audience that hes the original and best Librarian and that the 4 new people can only just about do the job of one him.

It's good to be the king executive producer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A selection of Big Finish stuff on sale today. The first Early Adventure, Domain of the Voord, is down to $2.99 for BF's 12-days-of-post-christmas, and then Doom Coalition 4 is $20 and one of the Gwen Torchwood audios is $2.99 for those two receiving award nominations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If I want to buy a handful of the early ($2.99) Big Finish audios, which would be my best bets? So far I have the Marian Conspiracy (Six is good, Evelyn is good), Storm Warning (Eight is awesome, Charley is cool) and Sword of Orion. I want to get a good early Seven (I liked Seven in Flip Flop, despite the story being wonky) and a good early 5 (I watched Kinda and thought he was bland, hoping to be proved wrong). And then I'll probably get the next Six + Evelyn and the next Eight + Charley. I'll make sure to skip Minuet in Hell.

But yeah, what are some good stories from early Five and Seven?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

For 7, get The Fearmonger, Colditz and Master. For 6 (minus Evelyn), get The Holy Terror, ...ish and Davros. For 5, get Loups-Garoux, Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty.

Also, if you're happy to skip stories, I'd strongly recommend ignoring The Apocalypse Element, Bloodtide and The Sandman.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would recommend against listening to "Master" because it's a pretty decent story right up to this really naff Lidster twist at the end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fearmonger is excellent, it's such an early Big Finish and I generally find McCoy's stuff the weakest that Big Finish produces but Fearmonger feels like something right out of his final season of television, and I mean that in the best way.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The Fearmonger is excellent, it's such an early Big Finish and I generally find McCoy's stuff the weakest that Big Finish produces but Fearmonger feels like something right out of his final season of television, and I mean that in the best way.

That's too bad about McCoy... Does he just get weak scripts or does he not bring enough to it? The manipulative, information withholding side of that incarnation is really interesting. Plus I love McCoy's accent...

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations folks!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

apophenium posted:

That's too bad about McCoy... Does he just get weak scripts or does he not bring enough to it? The manipulative, information withholding side of that incarnation is really interesting. Plus I love McCoy's accent...

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations folks!

Well to invoke rule #1 of Doctor Who/this thread, I feel that McCoy has gotten some of the best stories (A Death in the Family is unreal) so YMMV I guess. Then again, most of the ones I really like are from after the first 50 so that would limit your selection somewhat. Go for the ones listed above, plus Project: Twilight and Project: Lazarus. THEN wait for BF to put 51-100 on sale and go hog wild (The Harvest! Live 34! Night Thoughts! RRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it's a mixture of people not really being all that great at writing a guy who is supposed to be 7 steps ahead of everybody else, as well as McCoy actually being pretty busy in terms of his acting career (even before The Hobbit movies he was touring the world with Ian McKellan doing King Lear) and not always being available when needed.

There are still some very good McCoy stories, just not as many as you might find with the other Doctors (especially Colin Baker).

Tim Burns Effect posted:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRED!!!

For God's sake listen to Red. It's so.... it's so..... red. Red. RED! RRRRRREEEEEDDDDD!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think the biggest problem with early McCoy is just that he doesn't have as many great stories. It's super easy to find solid gold starring Colin Baker in the first 50 but even McCoy's best stories are somewhat divisive. And there's only a few stories set immediately after Survival before release number 50.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: My DWSS package arrived, all the way from Australia! And holy crap, was it good!

4 Big Finish audios (helpful readers know that I don't like the enhanced audiobooks, of which none of these are)

A collection of Seventh Doctor comics (featuring Abslom Daak :confuoot:)

What looks to be a card game involving bears

:wtc: Will this even play on a Region 1 player?

Thanks a bunch, BSam!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think part of the problem is that there had been several years' worth of original Seventh Doctor fiction in the form of the the New Adventures before Big Finish started up, so he already had this big complicated continuity that they probably weren't 100% sure how to approach.

I think the Seven audios get a real shot in the arm once Hex gets there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's okay to post Gatiss stuff here, even though it's about Sherlock, right?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/04/to-an-undiscerning-critic-from-mark-gatiss

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think part of the problem is that there had been several years' worth of original Seventh Doctor fiction in the form of the the New Adventures before Big Finish started up, so he already had this big complicated continuity that they probably weren't 100% sure how to approach.

I think the Seven audios get a real shot in the arm once Hex gets there.

Not to mention they had the Bernice Summerfield rights before the Doctor Who rights, so that complicates things a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I recall similar complaints about the Robert Downey Jr. films having Holmes get into fights, so it was amusing to watch the (excellent) old ITV series and watch Jeremy Brett excitedly get into fights with dudes in bars.

Everybody should watch the old ITV series too, Brett is amazing as Holmes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You also have the problem of Seven carrying over a lot of ugly, grim Wilderness Years baggage from the New Adventure novels and whatnot.The stories are just :cripes: all round, so McCoy didn't bother bringing his A-game. It's actually easier to deal with the crap that way. Colin Baker will goes all-out in every performance, which can be frustrating when the story is crap.

One of the reasons early Eight audios are so popular (besides the fact that they had more of their poo poo together by the time McGann came aboard) is that was no set style and they could experiment more. His second "season" is part of the $2.99 range and highly recommended all round, particularly fan favorite Chimes of Midnight. At least make sure to grab that and Seasons of Fear, but do the whole run if you can.

Seven will come into his own with Big Finish eventually, and a lot of that comes from Colditz, both stylistically and through the introduction of a character that returns when Big Finish really know what they're doing. Fires of Vulcan is a good historical (albeit similar to a Tennant story that would air eight years later) and Dust Breeding starts to play with the idea of a larger Doctor Who/BF universe and features a pretty major twist.

For Five, Eye of the Scorpion introduces a new companion and features the blend of intrigue and adventure that's present in a lot of his audios. It has an immediate follow-up, The Church and the Crown which is a lot of fun and lets Davison be the comic straight man he's famous for (when he's not the Doctor). Creatures of Beauty is the complete opposite: experimentally structured and morally ambiguous, it's the kind of story his TV episodes wanted to be. One of my favorites, although the ending is a bit divisive.

FAKE EDIT - Wheat Loaf! :argh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Here, this will keep me from emptyquoting:

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody should watch the old ITV series too, Brett is amazing as the definitive Canon Holmes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

:siren: My DWSS package arrived, all the way from Australia! And holy crap, was it good!

4 Big Finish audios (helpful readers know that I don't like the enhanced audiobooks, of which none of these are)

A collection of Seventh Doctor comics (featuring Abslom Daak :confuoot:)

What looks to be a card game involving bears

:wtc: Will this even play on a Region 1 player?

Thanks a bunch, BSam!

gently caress yeah. Glad it arrived safe!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Here, this will keep me from emptyquoting:

I grew up on the old Basil Rathbone movies but Brett eclipsed him easily. I loved those little moments where you could see Holmes trying (and failing) to restrain inappropriate emotional reactions when getting some amazing new case/interesting bit of info but trying not to offend somebody who was distraught as they imparted that information.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

FAKE EDIT - Wheat Loaf! :argh:

Nah, your post is much better. :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody should watch the old ITV series too, Brett is amazing as Holmes.

Basically, yes. I was so chuffed when I realised the layout of 221B in Sherlock is the same as in the Brett series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you didn't watch the Abominable Bride last year I highly recommend it, the tributes to the Brett series are even more obvious when not seen in the modern setting. The final shot of Holmes looking out the window over Baker Street to emulate the opening of the ITV series is so great.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Seven's whole run with Hex is also generally good to very good, in my opinion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The first really, really good 7 audio is The Harvest, which yeah, is when Hex shows up. I've relistened to that one more than any other 7 story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The final 12 Days of Christmas offer from Big Finish is $2.99 for Mistfall, a 5th Doctor main range audio from January 2015.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Who are some of the most consistent writers for Big Finish? I'm interested in checking out more from Jonathan Morris cause I thought Flip Flop was interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

apophenium posted:

Who are some of the most consistent writers for Big Finish? I'm interested in checking out more from Jonathan Morris cause I thought Flip Flop was interesting.

Eddie Robson, without a doubt.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Morris is pretty good; Cobwebs is one of his and that's great. I think even his worst stories are just average rather than poo poo. Dan Abnett is pretty consistent as well! (he has done two).

Rob Shearman is the only one I can think of that doesn't have a single bad story.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

apophenium posted:

Right now it's Matt Fitton, who's just been on fire.

For the older stuff, I have two who stand out.

Steve Lyons - Colditz, Time Works, Blood of the Dragon, the Architects of History.
Alan Barnes - Storm Warning, Neverland, The Girl Who Never Was, which are Charley's introduction, the conclusion of Charley's big character arc, and Charley's final adventure with Eight. Also Heroes of Sontar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Generally, the Big Finish writer's pool is smaller than it used to be, but it's writers tend to be a lot more consistent. Basically, anyone who's had a script published in the last two years is generally pretty good, barring Mike Tucker or Mathew J. Eliot, even if Big Finish isn't producing anything particularly innovative or original.

The best of the current crop are probably John Dorney and Simon Guerrier, with James Goss doing excellent producing work in some of the side ranges.

That said, I've found that Big Finish to be in a bit of a rut for the past few years. My appreciation for most of their main range scripts seems to hover about a 7/10, and it doesn't really feel like they're trying to push the envelop much any more. Whether that's an economically motivated decision or simply what Nick Briggs or Cardiff wants out of the range is unclear, but they're telling some really mediocre stories these days. If the best they can come up with is The Third Doctor meets.... THE DALEKS! (complete with first episode "surprise" cliffhanger completely ruined by the cover, name and marketing of the release) or River Song in... EVENT HORIZON! then they're really failing to demand their continued existence.

• Locked thread