Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Killing senators to appoint a Judge gives a whole new meaning to extra-judicial killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

Killing senators to appoint a Judge gives a whole new meaning to extra-judicial killing.

Ain't nobody gonna tell me this ain't an amazing joke.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Packing the court with the bodies of the slain.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is maybe some truth to the idea that Obama was far too naive in dealing with the GOP, but how could anyone have known that a solid amount of Americans don't care?

He didn't exactly push Garland too hard during the campaign, and Garland himself wasnt exactly a motivating pick for voters.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Main Paineframe posted:

He didn't exactly push Garland too hard during the campaign, and Garland himself wasnt exactly a motivating pick for voters.

The theory behind the pick was the same as it has ever been under Obama: if we just act reasonable enough, people will respect our sober, responsible leadership and rally to our side.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is maybe some truth to the idea that Obama was far too naive in dealing with the GOP, but how could anyone have known that a solid amount of Americans don't care?

Probably by stepping outside the liberal echo chamber for a second, why on earth would you think the average person is going to care about it? It's just not something that moves the needle to non-wonks (99.9999% of the population).

Obama really didn't have any good options. People say he should have nominated a more firebrand leftist to try drum up support and force but that would have opened a whole different bag of chips because replacing a far right wing judge with a far left wing judge would have been politically problematic as well. In the end the election would have drowned out everything though, ":qq: they aren't voting on the judge I want a blooo blooo" just isn't an issue ordinary people care about, it's the economy, stupids. Or terrorism. Or a billion other things people think about every day (none of which include some old people in robes).

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think Obama didn't realize the depths they would sink, but also that 4 years of Trump will also quite possibly cement Obama as a Democratic Reagan.

Reagan did immigration reform and poo poo, the right doesn't do the whole MUST BE 100% IDEOLOGICALLY PURE OR I HATE YOU that the left does. Which is why we have Trump in the first place.

e: a major problem was that all the people that would vote for the dems because they cared about the supreme court were already doing so. It wasn't something that could bring new people to the table.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

All you needed was for 9 Republican Senators to suddenly die in mysterious circumstances and Garland would have been set for confirmation.

You know, hardball.

Why be mysterious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUktJbp2Ug

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Reagan did immigration reform and poo poo, the right doesn't do the whole MUST BE 100% IDEOLOGICALLY PURE OR I HATE YOU that the left does.

Apparently you have not been paying attention to the last 8 years or so of Republican politics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Reagan did immigration reform and poo poo, the right doesn't do the whole MUST BE 100% IDEOLOGICALLY PURE OR I HATE YOU that the left does.

They absolutely do.

The difference is that if their ideologically pure conservative loses the primary to a moderate or a charlatan they still turn out and vote for the winner because they hate the Democrats so much that defeating a Democrat is sufficient motivation to turn up even if they don't particularly like their candidate.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

dont even fink about it posted:

Apparently you have not been paying attention to the last 8 years or so of Republican politics.

Yeah, and then they elected Donald Trump anyway. Checking all the right conservative boxes is no where near as important as winning.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The right wing runs on "I DIDN'T GET WHAT I WANT. gently caress THE DEMOCRATS WE HAVE TO DESTROY THEM" and then they vote straight ticket Republican in elections because they want to win, period.
Meanwhile the left works on "I DIDN'T GET WHAT I WANT. gently caress THE DEMOCRATS WE HAVE TO DESTROY THEM" and they stay home instead of vote because both parties are the same Bernie was robbed so gently caress Hilary etc etc. Also they don't show up for midterms, ensuring the Dems can only win if the GOP's voters are even more apathetic, or manage to gently caress the country badly enough (IE: 2006).

Maybe when these people spend the next couple years getting hosed sideways by the GOP they'll care. Assuming they're able to vote, since millions are going to lose the ability to do so and there's nothing to actually stop the GOP from destroying voter rights. Even if Kennedy were to side with the Liberals against Gerrymandering (or anything else) there is zero chance of Trump's DoJ not just dragging its feet on any reports about vote shenanigans except VOTER FRAUD loving LIBS STEALIN ELECTIONS :bahgawd:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's not an immutable fact of the universe that the Democrats have to suck at motivating turnout. The GOP is a lovely party, but it does a fine job convincing people that voting for them is important and will make a real difference in their lives. Maybe the Dems could try doing that, instead of bathing in their own self-pitying tears and whining that people owe them their votes because at least they're better than the other side.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, and then they elected Donald Trump anyway. Checking all the right conservative boxes is no where near as important as winning.

Conservative credentials are different to the country's gerrymandered voters than to congressmen, and that was evident as early as 2010.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

How could someone be MORE conservative than Scalia? I don't see how it's going to get any worse than it was.

Appoint Roy Moore. His schedule's free!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

The right wing runs on "I DIDN'T GET WHAT I WANT. gently caress THE DEMOCRATS WE HAVE TO DESTROY THEM" and then they vote straight ticket Republican in elections because they want to win, period.
Meanwhile the left works on "I DIDN'T GET WHAT I WANT. gently caress THE DEMOCRATS WE HAVE TO DESTROY THEM" and they stay home instead of vote because both parties are the same Bernie was robbed so gently caress Hilary etc etc. Also they don't show up for midterms, ensuring the Dems can only win if the GOP's voters are even more apathetic, or manage to gently caress the country badly enough (IE: 2006).

Maybe when these people spend the next couple years getting hosed sideways by the GOP they'll care. Assuming they're able to vote, since millions are going to lose the ability to do so and there's nothing to actually stop the GOP from destroying voter rights. Even if Kennedy were to side with the Liberals against Gerrymandering (or anything else) there is zero chance of Trump's DoJ not just dragging its feet on any reports about vote shenanigans except VOTER FRAUD loving LIBS STEALIN ELECTIONS :bahgawd:
Meanwhile actual Democratic politicians run on "I LOST THIS ELECTION. gently caress THE LEFT WE HAVE TO IGNORE THEM" and we see the result of that.

When Democrats win elections they shift to the right a bit in the interest of compromise and also triangulation for future elections. And when they lose elections they shift to the right to capture those sweet, sweet moderate conservatives who always vote Republican. It's a great way to demoralize people who actually loving voted for you.

When Republicans win elections they... pretty much do as much as they can get away with of the horrible poo poo they love to talk about. It's kind of admirable even if they're loving over 90% (at least 90%) of the country and dooming the human species to ecological collapse.

Maybe Democrats could try something like that? Like if you talk about a public option during your campaign and then you win a mandate to do exactly that then... do exactly that? Or at least try, and when you fail have something to point to as the reason for your failure other than "we capitulated before we got to the negotiating table". If you promise to close Gitmo and Congress is being a dick about putting them in prisons in the US then... oh I don't know - send them back where they came from? And so on.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

How could someone be MORE conservative than Scalia? I don't see how it's going to get any worse than it was.

A clone of Samuel Alito, for one perfectly obvious example.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kilroy posted:

Maybe Democrats could try something like that? Like if you talk about a public option during your campaign and then you win a mandate to do exactly that then... do exactly that? Or at least try, and when you fail have something to point to as the reason for your failure other than "we capitulated before we got to the negotiating table". If you promise to close Gitmo and Congress is being a dick about putting them in prisons in the US then... oh I don't know - send them back where they came from? And so on.

There weren't sixty votes for a public option because Lieberman is a poo poo goblin wearing human skin. And we've already done just what you propose for everyone we can in Gitmo, the ones who are left literally nobody wants, not even their home countries, usually because they did a bunch of normal crimes in addition to/rather than a terrorism. Worse, Congress has blocked all funding for transporting or releasing them, so we literally cannot even let them go unless another country foots the bill for getting them there.

You're not wrong that playing hardball from the word go would've resulted in more success for the Dems but they had way less power than I think you imagine, even when they theoretically had control of Congress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Obama said the other day that at this point they are down to the final 40 or so in Gitmo that nobody wants.

Now of course there is a decent possibility that Trump starts putting more people down there but who really knows.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

vyelkin posted:

They absolutely do.

The difference is that if their ideologically pure conservative loses the primary to a moderate or a charlatan they still turn out and vote for the winner because they hate the Democrats so much that defeating a Democrat is sufficient motivation to turn up even if they don't particularly like their candidate.

More to the point, they feared Hillary Clinton would appoint a hyper-liberal justice in Scalia's seat and finally begin the dark communist ritual to destroy global freedom and prosperity forever. Dems didn't have the same hopes, apparently.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Quorum posted:

There weren't sixty votes for a public option because Lieberman is a poo poo goblin wearing human skin. And we've already done just what you propose for everyone we can in Gitmo, the ones who are left literally nobody wants, not even their home countries, usually because they did a bunch of normal crimes in addition to/rather than a terrorism. Worse, Congress has blocked all funding for transporting or releasing them, so we literally cannot even let them go unless another country foots the bill for getting them there.

You're not wrong that playing hardball from the word go would've resulted in more success for the Dems but they had way less power than I think you imagine, even when they theoretically had control of Congress.
Ok, so release them from being prisoners, hire them as staff, and relocate them to whatever US base they like, fly them in Air force One if you have to. I don't get why people act like moving 40 people from point A to point B is something the President can't do even if Congress gets huffy about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

twodot posted:

Ok, so release them from being prisoners, hire them as staff, and relocate them to whatever US base they like, fly them in Air force One if you have to. I don't get why people act like moving 40 people from point A to point B is something the President can't do even if Congress gets huffy about it.

Your understanding of how the US government functions is juvenile at best if you think the president has the power to unilaterally do anything remotely like that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

twodot posted:

Because they can't? Duh? The President violating a whole bunch of laws and getting himself impeached isn't going to help anyone but his opponents.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Technically the president could simply order Guantanamo abandoned, yes, but he'd be impeached for doing so.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Could he pardon the Guantanamo prisoners of all crimes?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

They're effectively stateless persons at this point. They would still have to go somewhere and there is literally no one in the world willing to take them in.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I don't think so, they haven't been charged with anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Its really a hosed up situation and there isn't a good way to resolve it. There are people wanted for a number of crimes around the world being held that have no welcome arms waiting anywhere in the world. No one wants to take them in for better or for worse. It's not like we're holding innocent people and their home country is begging for their return.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 5, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bush screwed the pooch.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not like we're holding innocent people

You don't know that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

botany posted:

You don't know that.

It's more the second part of that sentence that you didn't quote that is the problem.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's more the second part of that sentence that you didn't quote that is the problem.

no I'm gonna say the fact that the US has been imprisoning 30odd people without charging them with a crime or otherwise respecting their human rights is more of an issue

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Because they can't? Duh? The President violating a whole bunch of laws and getting himself impeached isn't going to help anyone but his opponents.
It might help the 40 people we are unjustly holding prisoner, and I'm not seeing Obama accomplishing all that much in the next few weeks. They probably couldn't even put together an impeachment hearing in that time frame, and that's assuming Congress even has the will to do it, which even if the House does, I'm not convinced the Senate would convict.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CellBlock posted:

He's floated his short list, here's some of the people on it:

William Pryor, 11th Circuit - Called Roe v. Wade the "worst abomination in the history of constitutional law"
Diane Sykes, 7th Circuit - Voted with the challengers of the contraceptive mandate of the ACA
Raymond Kethledge, 6th Circuit, former clerk for Anthony Kennedy - Wrote an opinion that government of cell-site data isn't a search under the 4th Amendment
Joan Larsen, Michigan Supreme Court, former clerk for Antonin Scalia
Steve Colloton, 8th Circuit, former clerk for William Rehnquist
Neil Gorsuch, 10th Circuit
Amul Thapar, Eastern District of Kentucky
Sen. Mike Lee, never served as a judge
Don Willett, Texas Supreme Court
David Stras, Minnesota Supreme Court, clerked for Clarence Thomas
Thomas Hardiman, 3rd Circuit - wrote a dissent in a decision that upheld a New Jersey law prohibiting handgun ownership without a permit
Raymond Gruender, 8th Circuit - wrote that denial of contraceptive coverage is not sex discrimination
Margaret Ryan, Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Sen. Ted Cruz, clerked for William Rehnquist

Of course, since whoever talks to Trump last wins, he's just as likely to appoint his sister or whoever as he is any of these people.

Which one has the best hair? That's what Trump cares about

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

It might help the 40 people we are unjustly holding prisoner, and I'm not seeing Obama accomplishing all that much in the next few weeks. They probably couldn't even put together an impeachment hearing in that time frame, and that's assuming Congress even has the will to do it, which even if the House does, I'm not convinced the Senate would convict.
It's literally not a thing Obama can do. The law prohibits bringing Gitmo detainees to the territory of the United States. He doesn't want to try them under the military commission rules, and he can't bring them to the U.S. to stand trial in NY district court. He can't just let them walk out the front door into Cuba, and can't just put them on a plane back to Pakistan. Most of the guys who were unreasonably accused were low hanging fruit and have been released to 3rd countries. Of the remaining 59, the majority have been recommended for continued detention or trial. Of those cleared for release, a lot are Yemeni, and there are concerns about releasing them into a country in the throes of famine and civil war, to put it lightly.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

He doesn't want to try them under the military commission rules,
I'm seeing a want in this sentence and not a can't.

quote:

He can't just let them walk out the front door into Cuba,
What physical process is preventing this from happening? Like I can see it's possibly a bad idea, but I don't understand what you think is stopping this from happening that the President can't overcome.

quote:

there are concerns about releasing them into a country in the throes of famine and civil war, to put it lightly.
I'm seeing some concerns in this sentence and not a can't. Like if they prefer American detention to where we would drop them off, then I suppose let them stay, but that isn't a matter or can or can't.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

twodot posted:

What physical process is preventing this from happening? Like I can see it's possibly a bad idea, but I don't understand what you think is stopping this from happening that the President can't overcome.

The Cuban government shooting them?

No one wants them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

twodot posted:

It would not help them because even if Obama orders it it won't happen because it's illegal. :cripes:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

twodot posted:

I'm seeing a want in this sentence and not a can't.

He doesn't want to because that would deny them a jury trial and set a precedent. It'd also tacitly be agreeing with the Bush-era policies. Drone-happy as he is, Obama doesn't want that.

quote:

I'm seeing some concerns in this sentence and not a can't. Like if they prefer American detention to where we would drop them off, then I suppose let them stay, but that isn't a matter or can or can't.

Well for one nobody wants to be released into whatever passes for supermax in Cuba's prison system so that's right out. Bad as Gitmo was at its worst, that'd be one hell of a trade-down. As far as Yemen goes if the country doesn't accept them back then AFAIK it legally doesn't matter what anyone else wants. Besides, they'd probably have a target on their back for all of the 900 factions involved in what's going on in Yemen right now.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

He doesn't want to because that would deny them a jury trial and set a precedent. It'd also tacitly be agreeing with the Bush-era policies. Drone-happy as he is, Obama doesn't want that.
Right, I agree that Obama does not want to shut it down. I'm arguing merely that he could.

quote:

Well for one nobody wants to be released into whatever passes for supermax in Cuba's prison system so that's right out. Bad as Gitmo was at its worst, that'd be one hell of a trade-down. As far as Yemen goes if the country doesn't accept them back then AFAIK it legally doesn't matter what anyone else wants. Besides, they'd probably have a target on their back for all of the 900 factions involved in what's going on in Yemen right now.
Again, we could do this, maybe it's a bad idea, maybe Yemen thinks we would be breaking the law, but it's not like we consulted with Pakistan before raiding Bin Laden. It's just a matter of preferences not possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
That's fair.