Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Because it's a mechanic that when pushed at all sucks because they're colorless, undercosted, the Crew costs are often negligible, and they're immune to Sorcery speed removal in a stupid way - you can't remove a Vehicle on the board without instant speed removal AND letting another creature hit the board to make it an eligible target. Even when you can do this, Crew gives pseudo haste to creatures and carries no penalties at all for the crewing creature.

Sure, you can blame development but the design of the concept doesn't leave them anywhere to go that doesn't make them annoying cards.

vehicles are cool, i like to go vroom vroom when i hit my opponent with them, have you tried doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

goth smoking cloves posted:

Vehicles aren't the problem, Wizards desigining every standard set since Theros to be unending midrange dominated hell formats is.

I think THIS CURRENT standard format is actually pretty bad but the one before it was a whole lot of fun and there were a number of decks you could play and a bunch of skill testing cards.

Do people really think Vehicles are overpowered? Even Copter while dominant week 1 isn't winning at that rate now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Vehicles are great, and the problem is the lack of artifact removal to answer them. Cards like Ancient Grudge and Stony Silence are keeping this poo poo hella in check outside of Standard.

Well let's hope Flashback is coming back soon. Ancient Grudge would solve a poo poo load of issues.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

Well let's hope Flashback is coming back soon. Ancient Grudge would solve a poo poo load of issues.

I don't think graveyards need to get more powerful in this format.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What's dominating right now? I played the Shoedowns and haven't played/been able to play since and honestly don't care much, either. I miss standard being fun. I don't even honestly need Snuggler's Copter in the deck because Skysovereign and Caravan are good enough.

For folks who like to read about tragic first-world problems: I purchased a set of Hierarchs for around $130 only to have them disappear now that they've doubled and I'm trying to put together Eldrazi for a buddy for Regionals. They never left my house but they've been absorbed into the environment like so many gems and precious metals in a platforming video game. :qq:

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

What's dominating right now? I played the Shoedowns and haven't played/been able to play since and honestly don't care much, either. I miss standard being fun. I don't even honestly need Snuggler's Copter in the deck because Skysovereign and Caravan are good enough.

Versions of Marvel are pretty clearly the best deck right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

"Lifecrafter's Bestiary"
Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, Scry 1.

Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may pay G. If you do, draw a card.

Modern Elves or Beck/Call or whatever wouldn't want this, would they?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

nope

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

But it's not like Gideon or Inspector weren't going to see lots of play anyway. They are super powerful and efficient cards which have seen play for their entire time in standard. Just the way the crew mechanic works limits the amount of Vehicles you can play no matter how pushed they get.

Whether the crewing creature would see play without Copter isn't actually relevant to anything.

The problem isn't that every vehicle is a constructed all star; it's that the ones that are (mainly Copter) are obnoxious as gently caress and ubiquitous in decks that play creatures.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether the crewing creature would see play without Copter isn't actually relevant to anything.

The problem isn't that every vehicle is a constructed all star; it's that the ones that are (mainly Copter) are obnoxious as gently caress and ubiquitous in decks that play creatures.

It's only ubiquitous in aggro decks that play creatures and there are answers to it in every other deck once the format shifted. They also just printed another great answer to it. I haven't found it obnoxious or broken.

Edit: LOL that bad Platinum Angel is now the most expensive card in this set on TCG Player. This is a pretty low value set.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

goth smoking cloves posted:

Vehicles aren't the problem, Wizards desigining every standard set since Theros to be unending midrange dominated hell formats is.

:same:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is fantastic.

Now I need to lease a red Bolt and get the vanity plates dl3dmg

On dumb plate and car jokes, I really had the idea of getting a dark green sports car with vanity plates that said TIME2YI back when League of Legends was my primary game of choice.

Edit: Hope of Girapur is adorable and I want to build Thopter Tribal now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with just 3 Baral's (I like this guy too much to cut to 2 even though he doesn't affect the board when he comes down, he seems too rad to not at least try to get him out early), 3 Gearhulks and cut the Sphinx to fit 2 Avacyn's and a Nahiri

Does Jace get to do all that much? He doesn't seem too great, but I've only played him twice in EDH before taking him out of that deck.

I really like a single copy of him. His loyalty is high so you can throw him down when they have some creatures and expect him to live. His +1 gives you a huge advantage, and if you get his ult off the game is over.
When I play against agro decks I side out my 3 walkers (nahiri, Dovan, Jace) and put in Spell Quellers, and that works well for me.

Edit: You need to run a copy of Quarantine field so planeswalkers don't poo poo on you. Lili ult is a real threat against this deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

paying g every time to draw a card means you aren't using that g to cast more elves or craterhoof

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

I don't think graveyards need to get more powerful in this format.

Again, if you print the answers none of this garbage would be a problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having all-star colourless cards just sucks in general. You normally have to pick which colours you're going to play the best cards from, with the tradeoff that the more colours you pick the worse your mana is. This creates diversity because people will choose not to play some of the best cards in the format, because the upside of playing that particular card is not worth the downside of stretching your manabase to make it fit.

When it's a colourless card that fits into every deck, there's no downside or deckbuilding cost to playing it, so you just jam it in every deck. Similar to what happens in shallow formats with perfect mana - the deckbuilding cost of including a best-card-in-the-format is so small that it's outweighed by the power increase over whatever else you were going to play in its place.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

On dumb plate and car jokes, I really had the idea of getting a dark green sports car with vanity plates that said TIME2YI back when League of Legends was my primary game of choice.

Edit: Hope of Girapur is adorable and I want to build Thopter Tribal now.

Dies to Shock buddy!!!!!!!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mandatory lesbian posted:

vehicles are cool, i like to go vroom vroom when i hit my opponent with them, have you tried doing that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Again, if you print the answers none of this garbage would be a problem.

I can understand WOTC not wanting hosers in standard. "Did I draw my hoser? Great I win, if not I lose" isn't fun gameplay and it's why modern isn't fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

It's only ubiquitous in aggro decks that play creatures and there are answers to it in every other deck once the format shifted. They also just printed another great answer to it. I haven't found it obnoxious or broken.

Edit: LOL that bad Platinum Angel is now the most expensive card in this set on TCG Player. This is a pretty low value set.
It's hardly the worst thing about the set - that would be Aetherworks Marvel.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Dies to Shock buddy!!!!!!!

I should have clarified.
In EDH.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I completely understand the hate for Marvel. It's a dumb card.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly, it looks like Aetherworks is the only thing keeping complaints about Smuggles quiet.

Half the meta below UW Flash and Marvel is just a dozen different 'copter and goodstuff' decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So are they spoiling the entire set today? The pre-pre-release is tomorrow pretty early.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'd sacrifice having an all Marvel meta if it got Rid of Emrakul.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I can understand WOTC not wanting hosers in standard. "Did I draw my hoser? Great I win, if not I lose" isn't fun gameplay and it's why modern isn't fun.

And yet Modern is still growing in popularity, and I have seen 4 standard FNM's not even fire, but the modern FNM's keep on trucking. Modern is amazingly fun right now, yes, some of the hosers are a bit...excessive (choke, bloodmoon, bridge), but they come together to make a very fun, diverse format.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Marvel is so nuts. Comes into play untapped. Just takes energy to activate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Combining a tilting mechanic like Marvel with a tilting effect like Mindslaver (attached to a 13/13 flying trampler) was a pretty horrible idea.

Marvel's existence baffles me. It's like they learned nothing from how dumb Cascade is.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Marvel is awful, but only because the deck is also a midrange deck that can just cast Emmy outright if you happen to have the artifact removal that doesn't exist in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Marvel is awful, but only because the deck is also a midrange deck that can just cast Emmy outright if you happen to have the artifact removal that doesn't exist in standard.

Artifact removal doesn't even stop a marvel activation in most cases.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Marvel would be a fun and neat deck to have in the format if you were just cheating in big yet answerable fatties instead of cheating in a "I basically win the game" card.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

Marvel would be a fun and neat deck to have in the format if you were just cheating in big yet answerable fatties instead of cheating in a "I basically win the game" card.

Emrakul is so Variable though which is the more frustrating thing, hence the 4+ Emrakul matches we've seen.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Only a few more weeks until stoneforge, JtMS, and preordain get unbanned guys!! Then modern will be perfect!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My guess is that if WOTC did test Marvel, it was the more allin 8 Eldrazi Contingency Plan list that crashed and burned at the PT, not the midrange++ deck that only really started showing up halfway through the season.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Marvel isn't the problem. It is the Eldrazi. They are such bland and horribly designed cards.

Marvel would still be a good card for finding Ishkanah's and planeswalkers, but at least you had a fighting chance instead of turn 4: counterspell check, no?, okay 13/13 mindslaver, and I win.
Hell, a typical Marvel deck can easily go turn 4 marvel, 5 Ishkanah 6/7 hard cast Emmy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sickening posted:

Artifact removal doesn't even stop a marvel activation in most cases.

This too. I love combo decks, and I think any healthy metagame must have at least one that is viable, but you have to be able to interact with them. Uninteractable combos are cancer, and when you have something like this it makes the format terrible.

Also fwiw I was thinking of stony silence type removal but that wouldn't even make things much better because Emmy is that dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

This too. I love combo decks, and I think any healthy metagame must have at least one that is viable, but you have to be able to interact with them. Uninteractable combos are cancer, and when you have something like this it makes the format terrible.

Also fwiw I was thinking of stony silence type removal but that wouldn't even make things much better because Emmy is that dumb.

Well you can interact with it. You just have to counter it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Woo, common duals.

Dammit, PW deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Well you can interact with it. You just have to counter it.

Given that they haven't printed a good counterspell since the last time Mana Leak got a reprint way back when, my point stands. It's possible some sort of control shell will be able to stand up with Aether Revolt to sort of deal with it, but I can't imagine that deck beating anything else.

e: Five and a half years ago, that was.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

• Locked thread