Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

sellouts posted:

Hahahahah what is your flyertalk username

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Through the end of the month, I have 21 flights spread over the big 3 and JetBlue. The year is starting fast!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mackieman posted:

That is petty as all hell. If you're deriving that much self-worth from airline status, you may have other issues to examine.

That was just a mild annoyance that put me over the edge. This was post-merger UA so the entire operation was a gong show.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i mean, whatever you gotta tell yourself man

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Wrong thread, dammit.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

maybe i am one of them :( i was also really mad when after the AA/US merger they cut back on meals on flights. i hated that snack basket..

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetSuiteX is cool and good and is highly recommended. Parking on site looks to be a pain but aside from that.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

JetSuiteX is cool and good and is highly recommended. Parking on site looks to be a pain but aside from that.

One of my friends has a subscription to surfair through his company. It seems pretty convenient.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Seems cool but a subscription is a non starter for me and my multiple client based work. This was a way to save a ton of money vs LAX for a last minute ces trip. 239 for the highest fare class is a no brainer.

Now the client is taking a private home tonight because they're booked full.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you can plan your trips a couple of weeks in advance and fly mid-week you can catch some great rates.

edit: I already said this two pages ago. brb need more coffee

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I need to fly from the East Coast to Mumbai for work. I'm a frequent flyer with United, but I hear that their business class product sucks and I should book with a partner instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Star Alliance business class product? It looks like I can book United-branded flights that are operated by Swiss and Lufthansa.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Never been in business class on Lufthansa but I've heard good things. And they should be able to get you to Mumbai with just a single connection in Frankfurt.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I would recommend Brussels, SWISS or Air Canada if you are flying to India. Generally speaking, they have the nicest business class seats for sleep and privacy. Most other airlines are still flying 2-2-2 in business class, including United (pre-Polaris) and Lufthansa.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I flew home early from a trip. Clients ended up renting a phenom. It went mx, so they got a free upgrade to a G4.

fml

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

turing_test posted:

I need to fly from the East Coast to Mumbai for work. I'm a frequent flyer with United, but I hear that their business class product sucks and I should book with a partner instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Star Alliance business class product? It looks like I can book United-branded flights that are operated by Swiss and Lufthansa.

If you want to go non-stop, United via EWR is your only real option. My guess is that route will be among those that get 773 service with the actual Polaris seat some time in late 2017 but until then it's the sCO 772 which isn't a bad seat if you get one of the bulkhead middles (row 1 or 8) where there is direct aisle access for both seats and larger footwells.

If you don't mind connecting in Europe, both Lufty and Swiss are solid options, especially if you can upgrade to F.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

I flew home early from a trip. Clients ended up renting a phenom. It went mx, so they got a free upgrade to a G4.

fml

You're not doing it right.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Mackieman posted:

If you want to go non-stop, United via EWR is your only real option. My guess is that route will be among those that get 773 service with the actual Polaris seat some time in late 2017 but until then it's the sCO 772 which isn't a bad seat if you get one of the bulkhead middles (row 1 or 8) where there is direct aisle access for both seats and larger footwells.

Hm, the United website is showing the new Polaris seat configuration (2-2-2), so I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll be taking Lufthansa out because the United flights are 3x more.

It's my first time flying international business so I'm pretty excited! I hear that the Mumbai lounge is crazy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

turing_test posted:

Hm, the United website is showing the new Polaris seat configuration (2-2-2), so I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'll be taking Lufthansa out because the United flights are 3x more.

It's my first time flying international business so I'm pretty excited! I hear that the Mumbai lounge is crazy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It's the old UA seats with Polaris service. United 777-200's do not have Polaris seats.

It's this exact plane: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_6.php

Unfortunately United is (imo) jumping the gun extremely early with this whole Polaris rebranding because they have a grand total of.. one aircraft with the new seats. One.

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-12-09-Uniteds-Triple-Seven-th-Heaven

So yeah, fly SFO-EWR or SFO-HKG if you want to try the new seat. Otherwise, UA's old product is pretty outdated. Lufthansa's business class is slightly better, but is still inferior to many other competitors.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone have any systemwide upgrades expiring they want to trade something for?

I can't justify the 9k for biz with this client unfortunately :(

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Anyone have any systemwide upgrades expiring they want to trade something for?

I can't justify the 9k for biz with this client unfortunately :(

I've got some friends that might have some extra. Do you have a price/offer?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks!

I gotta think about it -- it likely won't clear until the gate so I really don't want to have a ton of money out there to a stranger for something that I won't use, plus a 350 copay if it does clear.

Both flights are J7 though, so at least 7 seats unsold...

Edit: NM, got 2 put in for me, thank you for offering to help though!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 9, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

Thanks!

I gotta think about it -- it likely won't clear until the gate so I really don't want to have a ton of money out there to a stranger for something that I won't use, plus a 350 copay if it does clear.

Both flights are J7 though, so at least 7 seats unsold...

SWUs don't have a co-pay, only mileage upgrades do. You'll only be on the hook if the SWU clears if it's not confirmable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

SWUs don't have a co-pay, only mileage upgrades do. You'll only be on the hook if the SWU clears if it's not confirmable.

There's no way that they're going to clear before the gate.

Last time I was charged at the gate for using a friends SWU.

Edit: and it's been refunded, woo!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 9, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

sellouts posted:

There's no way that they're going to clear before the gate.

Last time I was charged at the gate for using a friends SWU.

Edit: and it's been refunded, woo!

That's unusual. They're not supposed to charge anything for using a SWU. The only situation I can think of is LHR where there's a luxury departure tax if you move up to business class, but most carriers just eat the cost and don't charge passengers.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

That's unusual. They're not supposed to charge anything for using a SWU. The only situation I can think of is LHR where there's a luxury departure tax if you move up to business class, but most carriers just eat the cost and don't charge passengers.

Only situation I can think of is specific to UA: if you don't have a Y fare that is booked in W or higher, they'll charge you the fare difference, waive the change fee, and then process the SWU.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It was a mistake, they fixed it and refunded.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

My first trip of my first job that involves any sort of travel and the second leg flight is delayed and I'm getting drunk at MSP and trying not to think about the fact that I won't go to bed until 6am my time. Tomorrow I meet my boss!

After my third overpriced drink I realized that my new Sapphire Reserve probably gets me into some lounge somewhere. Yay business travel I guess.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

don't forget to tag yourself at the Larry Craig Memorial Restroom at MSP

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That time when your $400 V fare to BCN clears the upgrade. :coal:

Thursday evening's flight just got a lot better. :D

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Erwin posted:

My first trip of my first job that involves any sort of travel and the second leg flight is delayed and I'm getting drunk at MSP and trying not to think about the fact that I won't go to bed until 6am my time. Tomorrow I meet my boss!

After my third overpriced drink I realized that my new Sapphire Reserve probably gets me into some lounge somewhere. Yay business travel I guess.

Yes it does! The bartender will make you really stiff drinks if you tip

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yes it does! The bartender will make you really stiff drinks if you tip

I know lounge tipping is a bit of a touchy subject for some fliers but I usually always leave $1 even if it's free.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Why would it be a touchy subject? You're either a piece of poo poo or you're not.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Noctone posted:

Why would it be a touchy subject? You're either a piece of poo poo or you're not.

Amen, free drinks means you have money to tip.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Noctone posted:

Some travelers feel that you don't have to, because you already paid to get into the lounge, and things are included. That is, for people that bought day-passes or annual memberships.

I agree with you but I wouldn't be so crass, especially since a lot of lounges are in internationally-located terminals and may have a lot of people from non-tipping cultures.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

Some travelers feel that you don't have to, because you already paid to get into the lounge, and things are included. That is, for people that bought day-passes or annual memberships.

I agree with you but I wouldn't be so crass, especially since a lot of lounges are in internationally-located terminals and may have a lot of people from non-tipping cultures.

Those people are assholes.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honest question, why don't you Americans tip the crew after a flight? It seems like a easy way for airlines to cut wages and just have them beg for their salary like dogs give passengers the opportunity not to be 'assholes'.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/travel-tips-from-a-200k-mile-traveler/

Don't do anything on this list. Except #7, I guess.

Knitting Beetles posted:

Honest question, why don't you Americans tip the crew after a flight? It seems like a easy way for airlines to cut wages and just have them beg for their salary like dogs give passengers the opportunity not to be 'assholes'.

Because cabin crew are professionals. (And any sassy one would tell you they are there primarily for your safety, not as glorified waiters.) It's low-paying work but it's definitely not minimum wage and outsourced to contractors like a lot of lounge personnel are.

I know some people have argued that they should be tipped but I wouldn't be excited about guys trying to pull "$20 tricks" to check-in agents looking for an upgrade. In a way, things like cash upgrade processes are already formalized so there's no need.

If there was to be a form of tipping, it'd be something like a service charge attached to every ticket in lieu of tipping, as is the practice in some countries for restaurants.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 10, 2017

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Knitting Beetles posted:

Because airline crews are paid something that generally approximates a living wage (this is not to be confused with being paid well or equitably). This has not always been true, especially for pilots, but it is starting to get better thanks to the forced attrition in pilot ranks and general growth in aviation making the demand for pilots and FAs much higher than in recent years. Bartenders and servers are paid far less than minimum wage in the US in most cases and the bulk of their income comes from gratuities. It's how the system works economically and socially in the US; I think it's stupid and those folks should be paid like it's a full time job as they do in most other parts of the world, but that isn't reality.

To participate in that culture here in the US but not remunerate those people accordingly is a dick move.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

I tend to do #6 asap after boarding, because I swear they only put 1 or 2 mini bottles of maker on AA flights these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Actually seems like a pretty solid list TBH, though some of it is overkill for the average flyer like the thing about using dry cleaner plastic to stop wrinkles.