Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Any tips on what to take for my main combat skill? I've tried two, Sword feels really weak, and Deer has a lot of drawbacks if you want to do anything other than combat (but feels really powerful and has a nice buff). I'm using animal handling as my second if anyone thinks I can do better there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Go ahead and max out deer while you're fooling around. Animal handling is a great secondary for soloing with just about any primary. Check out the skill mods on gear you find or skim the latest .JSON decrypt to see what skills are available to the other weapon styles. That's the best way I've found to get a feel of how a skill should play.

Since all the skills got rebalanced recently, I can't give good advice beyond how much I liked or hated certain skills a few months ago.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sword is good but you really need some specific mods and skills. Decapitate is good and psych or ment combo pretty well with it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Haerc posted:

Any tips on what to take for my main combat skill? I've tried two, Sword feels really weak, and Deer has a lot of drawbacks if you want to do anything other than combat (but feels really powerful and has a nice buff). I'm using animal handling as my second if anyone thinks I can do better there.

I have tried this ones:

Chem Combat
Blade
Pig/Deer
Psychology
Fire magic
Shaman (or whatever is called the treehugger school)
Necro

Because you can have two combat skills, I use to play with Chem+Blade. Chem is powerful and allow to have a pet, but is too energy expensive. Blade was nice, but you have to be in melee, so you have to tank damage.

Fire magic and Shaman is what I use now. Fire has a number of damage dealing skills that are mostly range damage (so I don't get on mele, so I don't need to tank damage has much) and Shaman have some healing and crown control stuff (debuffing, damage reflection). Both are energy light, so I dont get out of energy has much.

Anyway I am somewhat a newbie, so if vets say that anything works or that some animal form works, it is probably true. They know better.

A lot of people seems to use necro (you can see it, because are followed by these bones pets) and in dungeons you find often deers, so deer is probably a good pve class for whatever reason.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Tei posted:

Shaman (or whatever is called the treehugger school)

Druid

I used to love playing Druid / Cow combo since cow was such an OP tank and the debuffs / heals / damage shields / ranged pulls of druid made for a potent combo. It was also fun when it was buggy and I could switch from cow to crow, fly around for a bit, and then switch back to cow and still float / fly through town.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I think I'm gonna stick with deer/animal handling, then use animal handling to skill up other combat skills once I get AH up.

Any tips on where to level? I'm killing animals in Etibule at 20/20 right now, should I be trying somewhere else? I seem to be only able to do the entrance of the crypt and the mushroom cave.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I used AH to power level 90% of my other combat skills. Start with yard trash in Sun Vale. Pigs, spiders, etc. Work your way up to trolls. Avoid the Boreal Fists until you get pretty strong.

Edit: As an added bonus, you have animal town there in Sun Vale too so you're not short on vendors, trainers, and storage.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Cool, thanks. I managed to beg some string from a pubbie (the vendor doesn't talk to animals), and grab Old Fangsworth, much better than my old giant golden rat.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you figure out how to get a bear, let me know.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
There is an altar in Kur, I don't know what you need for it's sacrifice, or what you need to tame the bear itself.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
Anyone know if the Biting Vines in Sun Vale are bugged right now? I've been there lots of times and have run all over looking for them but I don't think I've seen a single one since I started playing.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They no longer spawn in the usual spots, or you haven't seen one ever?

I'll check it out after work today if you need.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
Haven't seen one ever. Are there usual spots where they spawn? I'm probably doing something wrong, but I have two open quests for them and I spent an hour the other day running around looking for them but never found any.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

I confirmed they still spawn in the usual spots. They mostly spawn in the lower left amid the pigs and wolves. There's a few in with the super sonic frog dudes but unless you want 20 pathers on you while you're fighting a vine, stick to the left. Run around hitting your target key. They only pop up when you get close enough to attack you.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
Ohhhh, see I thought the wiki implied they could spawn all over the map. I'll check those areas next time I'm on. Thanks!

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
We had a little Thanksgiving party at the inn last night..

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I see these photos and all I can think is stealing these painting to boost my art apreciation. I am broken has a person.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game seems weird and interesting but it sounds like the playerbase is pretty small. Is that a problem or does it not really impact things a lot?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Kelp Plankton posted:

This game seems weird and interesting but it sounds like the playerbase is pretty small. Is that a problem or does it not really impact things a lot?

It really doesn't hurt it that much imo since there isnt any large scale group content to speak of and most of the fun in my experience was exploring the world and talking to the NPCs

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
And if you do want to get a small group together to run a dungeon, it's usually not a problem. It was also announced that they're closing down Asheron's Call, which the creator of this game used to work on, so it's possible we might see an influx of refugees from there.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Had some fun messing around in this tonight, got off the tutorial island and met a dude with a mushroom problem and then played some lute for my pet rat, which attracted a second lute player, and then a werewolf who provided some howls to accompany us. Game's got a nice relaxed feel to it, which I wasn't expecting, and I really appreciate that it has all the cool stuff i miss from older MMOs while also getting rid of all the things I hated about those old games. Eager to see this thing keep growing.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
Good to hear you're enjoying it. What's your in-game name? I'm in as Oophelia so look me up if you want an invite to the (mostly inactive) goon guild, or if you just need help clearing a boss or whatever.

EDIT: nevermind, taken care of :)

SplashDemon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 22, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I wish I had more time to play. There's been something like two major expansions since I've had a chance to put in more than a few minutes of Serbule fuckery. It really is a very relaxing game in ways I wasn't expecting.

Did the giant wasteland area outside of the evil kitty area ever get filled in?

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Inimicul posted:

Did the giant wasteland area outside of the evil kitty area ever get filled in?

You mean with something besides monsters? Not really, but Rahu and Illmari both have maps now and your movement on the Illmari map isn't all rear end-backwards anymore. There's also a new NPC in Rahu that teaches a Sushi Making skill.

EDIT: Oh, and log in over the holidays if you can, all NPCs you have favor with at Friends or higher are giving out gifts for the holidays, with better gifts being given if you are at Like Family with them.

SplashDemon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 23, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I was thinking more of the zone after Rahu. The one with the japanese influence, evil bakers, etc.

Gifts? I wonder what I'll get from all those soul mates out there.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

Inimicul posted:

I was thinking more of the zone after Rahu. The one with the japanese influence,

That is Rahu... :confused:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Ah. I was thinking Illmari. See? It's been too long since I've played. So the Rahu wasteland has monsters in it now? Is it still one big flat plane of sand or have other land features shown up too?

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
I haven't really explored it, but yeah it just looks like a flat desert area full of monsters.

Also, Christmas trees have started popping up everywhere. You can get gifts from them about every three hours.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

So how is this game compared to Asherons Call, which is shutting down?

Class based or skill based?
Truly random loot?
An open world to explore ala AC?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Diogines posted:

So how is this game compared to Asherons Call, which is shutting down?

Class based or skill based?
Truly random loot?
An open world to explore ala AC?

These two videos deserve to be in the OP. They will answer your questions and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGeG1bzhqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7jJV7VSH4

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 24, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I played for a few weeks a year ago it felt early and felt kind of dead. It was before a major expected content update and the feeling was people were waiting for that. Do goons have a guild that does stuff? Are there other people actually playing no instead of waiting for I think a major gear revamp that was going to obsolete all gear or something.

I last played April 2015 or at least the last time I posted in this thread.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There are goons. There's even a guild. I don't think we play at the same time though. It's still very easy to do your own thing or pick up random people if you find yourself in a dungeon.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Logged back in after 10-11 months. Ran into some new nerd from SA that eventually disappeared on me. poo poo, they've REALLY expanded Big Head's little home on newbie island.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was told its a rite of passage to fight the newbie boss and die before leaving newbie island

I've fought him and headed out to the next zone, but if anyone wants to help me kill him sometime, that'd be cool

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

eonwe posted:

I was told its a rite of passage to fight the newbie boss and die before leaving newbie island

I've fought him and headed out to the next zone, but if anyone wants to help me kill him sometime, that'd be cool

do you have a big head, lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:heysexy:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
that boss freaking owns, if you're a spider you won't even miss the lack of helmet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea im in no rush to get rid of it really

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I tried to get it to stack with the cow curse but was denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone try out animal handling and battle chemistry and have opinions on golems vs animal pets?