Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

puberty worked me over posted:

Just return it and buy a corded electric impact.

This, or pony up the difference in price and get a battery op impact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I actually have a little 12V car battery powered electric impact that's great for doing tire lug nuts: https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-841337-2-Inch-Impact-12-Volt/dp/B00544EZQ2

However if I were buying today I think I'd just put that money towards a nice 18V or so lithium ion battery impact gun. From what I hear they are absolute beasts now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Echoing 18v cordless impact, especially something like this 3 speed model. You'll wind up using it 1,000% more not dicking around with hoses and charging a compressor.

That being said, a small cheap 3-6 gallon compressor will run an impact wrench just fine, and those California quiet compressors come highly recommended.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

QuarkMartial posted:

What are those LED lights from Costco that everyone loves and that go on sale pretty often? I'm tired of doing laundry in a poorly lit basement by flashlight and I have an open outlet I can use for power.

They gone.

They were 20$ off for a two pack, but I hesitated buying online and now they're simply out of stock. Went to Costco yesterday, and they've been replaced by a different unit entirely, which is like 50$ and is motion sensor activated. :argh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

One day sale at Home Depot -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0368321&cj=true

Milwaukee M18 2696-26 6-tool set with 2 batteries for $399. Pretty screaming deal if you're looking to start with a set. Same kit is $649 at Amazon right now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

One day sale at Home Depot -- http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0368321&cj=true

Milwaukee M18 2696-26 6-tool set with 2 batteries for $399. Pretty screaming deal if you're looking to start with a set. Same kit is $649 at Amazon right now.

That's a sweet deal. If I didn't already have 20v dewalt stuff I'd be all on that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jesus gently caress, if the rest of weras tools are as overengineered as their loving tags they hang their sockets from to sell on a peg, I'll be happy with this set. Now I just need to find an 8mm nut/bolt to take off.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I learned something the other day. I assumed Wera made their own poo poo. But at least some of their torque wrenches are made by apex tool group.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sadi posted:

I learned something the other day. I assumed Wera made their own poo poo. But at least some of their torque wrenches are made by apex tool group.

Who also owns gearwrench(good) and matco(meh) which both have decent quality. Gearwrench has really good wrenches and ratchets. But not good enough to pay what matco (which is still apex) charges for them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sadi posted:

Yeah, not everything is made in Germany, a lot of it is manufactured in the Czech Republic. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as the Czechs have their own legacy of high standards in manufacturing. Not a perfect analogue, but Czech firearms, for example, were held in high regards by both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union for their quality and innovative engineering.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

the Czechs have their own legacy of high standards in manufacturing.

It's because there is always someone else there to Czech on their work.
BOO THIS MAN!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

clam ache posted:

Who also owns gearwrench(good) and matco(meh) which both have decent quality. Gearwrench has really good wrenches and ratchets. But not good enough to pay what matco (which is still apex) charges for them.

Danaher still owns Matco, apex just makes some of their stuff.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Czech have all the old soviet block machine tools. They built the important parts of the jets and tanks for asking.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

Dang, I'm in the market for something like this now after reading this thread. Guess I'll wait for the next one that pops up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clam ache posted:

Matco got me once. 88 tooth 1/4" drive bare metal tiny ratchet. I've already had to fix the mechanism once and it seems pretty flimsy. I'm not really tough on it or anything, but it's pretty apparent that it is not the most durable ratchet in my box.
Not any more so than my $6 china specials which I generally turn with a 4lb sledge.
drat if it doesn't feel like a million bucks though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

eighty-four merc posted:

I got a brand new 1/4" ratchet from Sears under warranty a couple years ago and that thing won't even get anything wrist tight without skipping teeth. Ended up buying a flex head ratchet (on "sale" for ~$70) off our Snap On rep one day when it was really pissing me off. I use it every day so I guess I don't really regret it but I really hate paying tool truck prices for tools and I resent Sears every time I think about how much I paid for my dumb little ratchet.
That's a good purchase.

I have that same ratchet in 3/8. I bought it used 20+ years ago off a friend who used it regularly before me and it still works flawlessly well.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the 301 piece mechanics tool set at harbor freight. I'm sure most of you get the coupon books and are familiar. Goes on sale regularly for $159.

I picked it up to flesh back out my old craftsman set that is very used and missing sockets. Besides the first impression that the ratchets are actually really nice (at least they are far better than the craftsman) and the sockets are all six point, an unexpected side bonus is that the two middle trays fit perfectly in two drawers of my (also craftsman, it was a CL steal) tool chest:

And for the bottom section, I trimmed it out with an oscillating cutter and it fits as well:

So I'm pretty happy to finally have an organized tool box. Every slot is labeled, even. The top section with the screwdrivers and hand tools, I dunno if it's worth taking up a whole drawer in my box (the pliers are junk) but could do the same with it if you wanted to.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

angryrobots posted:

So the 301 piece mechanics tool set at harbor freight. I'm sure most of you get the coupon books and are familiar. Goes on sale regularly for $159.

I picked it up to flesh back out my old craftsman set that is very used and missing sockets. Besides the first impression that the ratchets are actually really nice (at least they are far better than the craftsman) and the sockets are all six point, an unexpected side bonus is that the two middle trays fit perfectly in two drawers of my (also craftsman, it was a CL steal) tool chest:
I whooped on this set at work when we moved to a new building and lost our shared tools. I spent ~2 years using mostly this stuff for equipment repair/maintenance on small tracked equipment, ATV's, UTV's and tons of small engine equipment. I just recently replaced most of it, except that I'm still using lots of the sockets (replaced the 3/8 with Grey Pneumatic), and I kept around the ratchets and extensions (because the more the merrier).

Ratchets - absolutely no problems with them at all (and I use them with cheaters and hammers)
Sockets/extensions/accessories - also no problems, pretty much modern Craftsman quality. The allen/torx/etc drivers are good too. I use all of them with impacts as well.
Screwdrivers - pretty okay. I haven't twisted a handle off or anything
Wrenches/hex keys/pliers/etc - worthless hot spicy garbage.

It's seriously a really good deal. Can't get a full 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 socket set that complete anywhere else for such a good price.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Look at that! Limited Edition Black.

Drool

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fuuuuuuck thaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Stop making black tools, dickheads, make them flourescent orange or green or glow in the dark or something.

The last thing i want to be digging for in a dark black engine bay is a black socket.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Stop making black tools, dickheads, make them flourescent orange or green or glow in the dark or something.

The last thing i want to be digging for in a dark black engine bay is a black socket.

God drat, seriously. Imagine being elbow deep in a car with a black wrench on a fastener in poor light and it slips off and then out of your hand. *tink-clank* "gently caress." Give me the the brightest most obnoxious color that the powdercoaters can find. Preferably one that isn't normally used in engine bays. Glow in the dark would be cool, but I don't know how 'charged up' tools would get by living in dark drawers and stuff all the time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Actually, some very good points.

I was thinking how cool they looked when sat on the shelf, but I totally get your point. It makes sense to spraypaint them all dayglo green

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hot pink everything.

Pink duct tape (or hockey tape) works great to spice up your boring old tools.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Hot pink everything.

Pink duct tape (or hockey tape) works great to spice up your boring old tools.

I marked all my fittings with flourescent green hockey tape so i could see at a glance from 50 yards whether the fitting sitting in a tank was mine or not. It also helped spot them on the road when i forgot one on the fender

Doesn't make much sense for a bunch of little sockets though.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have marked all my inchies sockets with a band of green tape to not mix them up with my Christian metric ones.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
yall need to invest in some flash lights.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Preoptopus posted:

yall need to invest in some flash lights.
...and spray the tools in reflex coating so they light up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought like $50 worth of random flashlights and work lights off of Ebay while I was hungover on New Year's Day. So many to choose from!

It'll be fun putting them all to the test in about 2-3 months when they actually arrive :v:

So far, this one seems to be the most promising of the lot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Nothing beats a good head lamp in my experience. There's some kind of law that no matter how fancy your other flashlight is it can never get in juuuuust the right spot to light up what you're looking at.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's why I got this as well :v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311733537970?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=610619972435&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (:lol: 600 lumens, yeah right)

I already have a decent headlamp, but it's more of a spotlight really. This one seems more like a floodlight, which could come in handy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mod sassinator posted:

Nothing beats a good head lamp in my experience. There's some kind of law that no matter how fancy your other flashlight is it can never get in juuuuust the right spot to light up what you're looking at.

Seconding this.

I bought one of these back in May and it's probably the best $8 I've ever spent on a flashlight accessory.

Works great with my Convoy S2 18650 tac light, and despite reviews that it's uncomfortable over long periods I've used it for hours while working on cars and - before the weather turned to poo poo - while trail running after dark, and I've never had a complaint about it shifting or being irritating to wear.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I will only buy a name brand headlamp. I've tried too many cheap ones that don't seal, have shaky connections, or just plain don't work. Petzl and Black Diamond have never failed me. Princeton Tec and Coast have both failed me so are off the list.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For working on cars Harbor Frieght's bargain basement cheapo headlamp works in my experience: http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-61528.html It leaves a spot on your forehead, isn't the brightest thing in the world, and is super easy to accidentally turn on and drain batteries (just pull them out when not using)... but it's $4. I have one in every toolbag.

For anything more serious though I agree a quality one like Black Diamond is the way to go.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Powershift posted:

Harbor Freight has something like this. It'd be nice tho if they were just all the pink color or orange or something.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-metric-deep-wall-color-coded-socket-set-93265.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Something like this in a full set and not a bajillion dollars would be cool.

http://www.thesafetycrew.co.uk/product/boddingtons-socket-set-6pt-%C2%BD-drv-8-24mm-case-131300

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They're :homebrew: because they are high-voltage insulated and certified. They're also terrible for most non-electrical jobs because the insulation is so thick it gets in the way.

Y'all are right about the coloring thing though. Dayglo anodized tools would be rad. The closest I get is filling in stamped markings with neon testors.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MRC48B posted:

They're :homebrew: because they are high-voltage insulated and certified. They're also terrible for most non-electrical jobs because the insulation is so thick it gets in the way.

Y'all are right about the coloring thing though. Dayglo anodized tools would be rad. The closest I get is filling in stamped markings with neon testors.

FFS Does no one in this thread know the wonders of reflective vinyl?
https://www.tapejungle.com/categori...FRusaAiAy8P8HAQ

coathat
May 21, 2007

All the cheapo tools at tractor supply got an orange camo makeover this year. Too bad they're only good enough as tools I don't mind getting stolen if someone breaks into my trucks toolbox.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

evilskillit posted:

Harbor Freight has something like this. It'd be nice tho if they were just all the pink color or orange or something.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-metric-deep-wall-color-coded-socket-set-93265.html

I ha e some of these and fluids will eat this coating off fast. Still decent sockets just the gimmick wears off. I just make sure I always have all the tools when I'm done. Wait a minute....poo poo I have lost a lot of 10mm and a 21mm that got left on my Napa 1/2 ratchet. I use nail polish in the name and number in the socket to help it illuminate when hit with a flashlight. Because black tools matter. And I would so but the halford set just because an all black tool set is pretty metal and awesome. :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

For anything more serious though I agree a quality one like Black Diamond is the way to go.
:agreed:
The new black diamond storm is hands down my favorite headlamp. The green mode is especially fantastic for preserving night vision while doing stuff like hiking. Plus it has handy intuitive features like a quick flash when cycling through brightness settings to indicate you're on the highest one.

Quit buying lovely Chinese lights, seriously. My dad always buys a bunch and I get several new ones every year for Christmas. The lights in those things are poo poo, you're causing yourself much more frustration and pain than if you just bought something halfway decent.

This year I bought the Fenix HL60r, and while it is awesome for the rechargeable 18650 lithium battery, the main light output is almost too much, to the point where it's not necessarily more useful than the black diamond headlamp, and it barely lasts an hour or two on high, nowhere near as long as the BD Storm. Plus, the power button just isn't as intuitive as the black diamond, and the red light is weak as poo poo. For instance, pressing the power on turns it into a wierd useless flashing red/white, and it doesn't indicate when you hit the brightest output (unlike the storm), so you wind up cycling back through the different levels again.