Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ronan fits in well with the themes of Guardians of the Galaxy (loss and moving on). He's a terrorist who's motivated entirely by the sacrifices of "my father and my father's father". He can't move past that loss, so it festers, poisons him, and makes him callous and destructive. Quill, on the other hand, overcomes Ronan by finally letting go of his tragic loss (his mother) and taking his place as the head of his new surrogate family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm really impressed that you managed to remember even the most basic facts about Ronan's motivation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

I'm saying that stuff is better off saved for a future movie when smaller stuff is already well-established to the audience.

We've already got scum of the galaxy teaming up to fight a mass-murdering self-styled judge, jury, and executioner, I don't think taking on the celestials instead would change a whole lot.

Well they put Thanos in, so they're clearly open to the idea of shoving in antagonists even if it drags down the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Ronan fits in well with the themes of Guardians of the Galaxy (loss and moving on). He's a terrorist who's motivated entirely by the sacrifices of "my father and my father's father". He can't move past that loss, so it festers, poisons him, and makes him callous and destructive. Quill, on the other hand, overcomes Ronan by finally letting go of his tragic loss (his mother) and taking his place as the head of his new surrogate family.

No I think he does it with a dance off.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

The dance off was a distraction.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dan Didio posted:

I'm really impressed that you managed to remember even the most basic facts about Ronan's motivation.

I think his first scene conveys that stuff really strongly and is interesting but then the rest of the movie totally fails at following up on it.

Like they present the implication that the Kree Empire is secretly backing him so he can do whatever and they have plausible deniability but then immediately drop that too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

In 2008, if you'd have told me celestials would have screen time in the $750 million GotG movie, I'd have been very, very skeptical. Now? I'd be surprised if they didn't play a notable role in GotG 3 or the fourth Avengers movie. Yeah, Marvel is taking its time introducing Kirby's deeper cuts, but it's happening. It's almost necessary, given the need for constant threat escalation.

Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but GotG2 is already confirmed to have Ego and Celestials in it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to see them bring over Kirby's awe-inspiring pop myth to the silver screen.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, ya turd blossom!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The audio on that is fantastic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like that scene because Rona is giving is "You have been judged!!" speech, then Quill starts dancing and singing and Ronan looses his villain cadence and is just "the gently caress you doing?"; he's just so confused that he breaks personality.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Black Panther casting continues to kill it as Sterling K. Brown has joined.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

Black Panther casting continues to kill it as Sterling K. Brown has joined.

This movie is going to be loving insane.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I feel like I read somewhere that the Black Panter in Civil War was all CGI and that bores me. Spiderman's costume in the new trailer looks fake as hell but at least I think he's actually mostly there

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that the Black Panter in Civil War was all CGI and that bores me. Spiderman's costume in the new trailer looks fake as hell but at least I think he's actually mostly there

CGI+stunt double, I'm sure.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIZh8k8CnI

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

omg chael crash posted:

"this thing I didn't notice until I read it somewhere and isn't mostly true bores me"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
All I know about Ronan is that the Pie Maker was trying to blow up a planet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Forget Black Panther...
->

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know it is to make for easier FX touchups and adjustments but man there's still something surreal to me about the fact that it's easier to make a 70% costume and then go over it with CGI than to just make a costume.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I likeabout Ronan is that he has such a self-serious attitude, the Guardians are somewhat self aware, as opposes to Ronan who never cracks a single joke or has a moment of anything resembling levity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's the Ghostbusters formula. The heroes are goofy underdogs, but the main threat is very real and very serious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

I know it is to make for easier FX touchups and adjustments but man there's still something surreal to me about the fact that it's easier to make a 70% costume and then go over it with CGI than to just make a costume.

It's not just because it's easier, it's because to make them fully practical and looking exactly as they should would also take away most of the mobility for characters that need to be sleek and fast.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thor 3 official synopsis.
http://www.slashfilm.com/thor-ragnarok-synopsis-photo/
Sounds like it will mostly be Planet Hulk with Unworthy Thor inserted.

quote:

In Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok,” Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok — the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization — at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger — the Incredible Hulk!

“Thor: Ragnarok” is directed by Taika Waititi and returns Chris Hemsworth starring as Thor and Tom Hiddleston reprising his role as Loki. They are joined by Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson and Karl Urban, with Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Hopkins.

Kevin Feige is producing with Louis D’Esposito, Brad Winderbaum, Victoria Alonso, Thomas M. Hammel and Stan Lee serving as executive producers. The story is by Craig Kyle & Christopher Yost and Stephany Folsom, and the screenplay is by Eric Pearson. “Thor: Ragnarok” thunders into U.S. theaters on November 3, 2017.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thor as a barbarian is a lot less compelling than Hulk as a barbarian, but sure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So who sent the Hulk to the other side of the universe?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Probably Bruce Banner in this case.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhonne posted:

Space Jeff Goldblum if I had any guess

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

achillesforever6 posted:

Space Jeff Goldblum if I had any guess

What are the differences between Space Jeff Goldblum and Terrestrial Jeff Goldblum?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What are the differences between Space Jeff Goldblum and Terrestrial Jeff Goldblum?

About 100 light-years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Have you even seen Earth Girls Are Easy?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Space Jeff Goldblum is blue.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

anyone heard about any large, uh, hulks around I could, y'know, include in my gladiator arena?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Electromax posted:

anyone heard about any large, uh, hulks around I could, y'know, include in my gladiator arena?

Man, I briefly forgot that a sequel to Independence Day existed and now you had to remind me?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I just want Nick Kroll to be his son/space henchmen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I could see the Grandmaster being responsible for Hulk and Thor being across the Universe. I wonder if Hulk is going to be Savage Hulk or Maestro?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I could see the Grandmaster being responsible for Hulk and Thor being across the Universe. I wonder if Hulk is going to be Savage Hulk or Maestro?

Circus Hulk.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm the marshmallow on the elephants tusk.

(also that word balloon is just.. it's just the best thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

Circus Hulk.

I was hoping for them to save that for Avengers 4.

• Locked thread