Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, plus option for Iris Plus (smaller edram cache than a Pro, but likely to still be a lot faster than standard Intel graphics), more ports etc. I think the way to think about the X1 series is that the Carbon is the lightest sleekest traditional laptop they can make, where the X1 Yoga has all the bells and whistles they can add without making weight/dimensions entirely uncomparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone at work asked which laptop to buy, I told them the XPS 13 or HP Spectre 360, they actually went to Best Buy and bought the HP and not whatever was on sale for $399

The power button is this stupid flush button on the side. The volume control is also this stupid thing on the side that looks like an SD Card reader with a cover over it.

The front of the laptop is rounded, while the back is sharp corners, the HP logo looks like loving morse code, and the keyboard is typical HP. Not terrible, but not any good. Touchpad seems to feel okay, the screen looks good, and they included a regular USB port. You can also easily open the lid which you can't do on her old Asus X31 or whatever that MacBook Air imposter is called.

Also there are about 50 HP utility programs installed from the factory. Suck a dick, HP.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Someone at work asked which laptop to buy, I told them the XPS 13 or HP Spectre 360, they actually went to Best Buy and bought the HP and not whatever was on sale for $399

The power button is this stupid flush button on the side. The volume control is also this stupid thing on the side that looks like an SD Card reader with a cover over it.

The front of the laptop is rounded, while the back is sharp corners, the HP logo looks like loving morse code, and the keyboard is typical HP. Not terrible, but not any good. Touchpad seems to feel okay, the screen looks good, and they included a regular USB port. You can also easily open the lid which you can't do on her old Asus X31 or whatever that MacBook Air imposter is called.

Also there are about 50 HP utility programs installed from the factory. Suck a dick, HP.

I don't know why you would ever recommend an HP laptop to anyone you didn't hate.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Bob Morales posted:

the new model revealed at CES is thicker because of a bigger battery. That's good. BUT you don't get to use the laptop for longer because the only screen you can get now is a 4K display. That's bad.

Edit: this is for the 15"

Edit: But also... did they just do a refresh of the 13" before CES and another one for CES? Or is the only refresh at CES for the 15"?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I just bought a Spectre x360 from BB last week. The power button and volume controls don't bother me at all as I rarely use them so it's nice having them out of the way. The keyboard is great. I returned a Yoga 910 because it has a stupid half-sized right shift key, the Spectre is much, much nicer. The trackpad is good, maybe not *quite* as good as the Yoga, but definitely usable- I've only ever really owned Thinkpads (except for a Compaq once when I was poor and needed a laptop) and absolutely hated trackpads, but I actually enjoy using the one on the Spectre. There were 3 HP apps installed on it out of the box, which took all of 25 seconds to remove. I really enjoy using it, it's quick and I get about 10-11 hours of battery life out of it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-15-7000-2017/preview/

Dell Managed to make a sturdier Dell Inspiron with GTX 1050 capabilities for only $800! :woop:

(Hopefully with decent RAM and Hard Drive specs)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 4, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Strong Sauce posted:

the new model revealed at CES is thicker because of a bigger battery. That's good. BUT you don't get to use the laptop for longer because the only screen you can get now is a 4K display. That's bad.

Edit: this is for the 15"

Edit: But also... did they just do a refresh of the 13" before CES and another one for CES? Or is the only refresh at CES for the 15"?
Are you refering to the Dell? The 13" was refreshed a couple months ago, the 15" is getting refreshed for CES. AFAIK [the XPS 15] is not 4k only, and its the same thickness as the previous version.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ilkhan posted:

Are you refering to the Dell? The 13" was refreshed a couple months ago, the 15" is getting refreshed for CES. AFAIK [the XPS 15] is not 4k only, and its the same thickness as the previous version.

No he's referring to HP's Spectre lineup I think.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I rather like the HP Spectre X360 my work gave me. Buttons are on the side for when it's in "tablet" configuration.

I had a Dell Latitude prior, and like the Spectre's keyboard better. The newest one announced at CES has capacitive pen support, so maybe in the future I won't need my Encore 2 Write for note-taking.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
I'm looking for a used gaming laptop to develop Unreal Engine 4 games on. Here's my musts:
  • DIsplay at least 15.6"
  • Resolution at least 1080p (I actually don't want to go higher than 1080p if I can avoid it)
  • Windows 10 Compatible (I can get the Windows 10 myself if it means saving some money on the laptop)

I'm only expecting to get a framerate of like 20-30 FPS, mostly I'm looking for guidance to avoid purchasing a GPU that's overpriced or too old I'm going for the best performance price ratio not for best performance. I'd like to be able to sell the laptop in about a year without too much depreciation to trade up for a GTX 10XX laptop.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
What are good places to keep up on announcements from CES? Specifically, when the other 10xx cards dropped there were a bunch of constantly updated lists of laptops with the various cards, but I'm having trouble finding those for the 1050 (ti).

On a related note, I'm looking for a laptop to recommend to my brother to replace his 5 year old MacBook Air. He wants a 13 inch or 14 inch, fairly light laptop. However, he also wants to play Overwatch/CS:GO and whatnot, so I told him to wait for the 1050 laptops to be announced; even just the 2 gb version seems like it could be about right for his use case.

Is it reasonable to expect that there'll be 13 inch 1050 laptops released this week?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most new laptops will be coming February at the earliest.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

havenwaters posted:

No he's referring to HP's Spectre lineup I think.

Yeah I meant the HP Spectre x360 models. Not the XPS.

They just announced at CES that the new x360 15" model will go 4K only, The laptop will be thicker to hold a better battery.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Some are due at the *end* of this month (like the Acer VX Black), but Dell's XPS 15 (which *will* have a 1050Ti option*, supposedly) is evidently hitting tomorrow, if you believe their press statement.

Lenovo isn't putting theirs out for a *while*, which makes me think they really want to clear existing Skylake inventory first.

* Dell also seems to have blown the lid off the fact that there'll be 2 *and* 4GB versions of both the 1050 and 1050Ti, just to confuse everyone all the more.

As for Unreal dev guy...what's your price range? If you're deadset on used, the Dell Outlet is your best option, but as it stands, you can get a 1060 3GB for 1099 now, a 6GB for 1199...and those prices might go down by ~$50-100 in short order. That $899 Asus with the 3GB 1060 on Black Friday was probably a test price.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 5, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Uhh Nope posted:

I'm looking for a used gaming laptop to develop Unreal Engine 4 games on. Here's my musts:
  • DIsplay at least 15.6"
  • Resolution at least 1080p (I actually don't want to go higher than 1080p if I can avoid it)
  • Windows 10 Compatible (I can get the Windows 10 myself if it means saving some money on the laptop)

I'm only expecting to get a framerate of like 20-30 FPS, mostly I'm looking for guidance to avoid purchasing a GPU that's overpriced or too old I'm going for the best performance price ratio not for best performance. I'd like to be able to sell the laptop in about a year without too much depreciation to trade up for a GTX 10XX laptop.

What's your budget

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgjyCLNCY_I

lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they say acer doesn't really expect to sell many of these, and i'm guessing they won't sell many... but why even bother retooling your factories to actually create one of these monstrosities?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Some are due at the *end* of this month (like the Acer VX Black), but Dell's XPS 15 (which *will* have a 1050Ti option*, supposedly) is evidently hitting tomorrow, if you believe their press statement.

Lenovo isn't putting theirs out for a *while*, which makes me think they really want to clear existing Skylake inventory first.

* Dell also seems to have blown the lid off the fact that there'll be 2 *and* 4GB versions of both the 1050 and 1050Ti, just to confuse everyone all the more.

As for Unreal dev guy...what's your price range? If you're deadset on used, the Dell Outlet is your best option, but as it stands, you can get a 1060 3GB for 1099 now, a 6GB for 1199...and those prices might go down by ~$50-100 in short order. That $899 Asus with the 3GB 1060 on Black Friday was probably a test price.

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a 1050 with 4 GB of VRAM, or a 1050 Ti with 2 GB, or either of those with 4 GB when the 1060 comes with 3 GB on the base model?

This is ridiculous.

...and I want one!

Dat touchpad/numpad tho.... :swoon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a 1050 with 4 GB of VRAM, or a 1050 Ti with 2 GB, or either of those with 4 GB when the 1060 comes with 3 GB on the base model?

Supposedly some vendors are underclocking/undervolting the 1050 to 40W, which will make it attractive in the "I want amazingly long battery life" segment - I'd expect it to make an appearance in a lot of quad-Kaby 4K Ultrabooks which will only ever be used for playing 4K HDR content in First/Business Class. The 2GB 1050s are evidently being targeted at the shockingly-still-existent sector of laptops with 1600x900 screens. The 2GB 1050Ti will be the base model GPU on the new Alienware 13, proving that despite their strides, Dell can still bring a little bit of horrible into this world.

The 3GB 1060s seem to be being phased out very slowly, what with the $899 ASUS laptop on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and the fact that you can snag an MSI with a 3GB 1060 on Best Buy's website/eBay store at the moment for $1099. The reason the 3GB 1060 isn't preferable is that it limits your gaming options over the next few years, as new A-list titles are getting greedier with desire for frame buffer, and 3GB just won't 'weather' as well as 6GB will. Normally it's an extra $100 on top of a similarly-equipped 3GB laptop, and typically that extra $100 buys you the presence of an SSD/HDD config or an extra 128GB or so on the SSD on the 3GB SKU.

And the only thing the Predator 21X will be good for is serving as a nuclear football stand-in in some action movie sometime in the next two years.

eames
May 9, 2009

At least one major OEM — I believe it was Asus — stated that they won't make 1050ti notebooks because the chip's price/performance ratio is unattractive, with OEM pricing being too close to the GTX1060.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, that's just the thing, I kind of imagine OEMs making 1050Ti notebooks and artificially raising their price with NVMe SSDs and 60Hz G-Sync screens just so they can justify charging the same as a base-model 3-6GB 1060.

"You get more creature comforts and luxuries that we can't afford to put on the 1060 SKUs," they'll say. I can't see Dell selling the new 7000 series with the 1050Ti for less than $999 on sale, probably $1099-1249 MSRP well-equipped. With a new chassis comes new costs to recoup.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Mu Zeta posted:

Right, that makes sense, announce DNE release.

Guess I'll look at the xps tomorrow if it comes out at least~

This two versions of each 1050 thing seems confusing all round. Given that Dell seems to be pricing the base 1050 at 799, it definitely seems like it'll be awfully close between that and the 1060 no matter what for sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What is the Dell equivalant to the Lenovo T450S/T460S?

Dual-core, 14" 1080p, memory slots, 2.5 SATA bay...

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Some 14" Latitude E7-something something?

eames
May 9, 2009

Razer's answer to that Acer Predator up there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrOhvUA8o8

:psyduck:

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Uhh Nope posted:

• DIsplay at least 15.6"

The Iron Rose posted:

What's your budget

I'm trying to stay under $600 USD. I'd like to go as cheap as I can while still hitting my goals.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Uhh Nope posted:

I'm trying to stay under $600 USD. I'd like to go as cheap as I can while still hitting my goals.

I think 960M or 950M would be good enough for most stuff you'd do in UE4 at beginner level. Even my old laptop with 555M and i5 2410M was good enough for playing around with blueprints before I got my new computer.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

What is the Dell equivalant to the Lenovo T450S/T460S?

Dual-core, 14" 1080p, memory slots, 2.5 SATA bay...

E5450/5470. If you're OK with just M.2 and no 2.5" bay then E7450/7470. The E5470 at least also has a quad-core option so it kind of stands in for the T460p too. There's a E3000 series but I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the 5000s.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The dell site is now listing 2 in 1 XPS notebooks: http://www.dell.com/de/p/xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC. They are ~150 more than the non 2in1 XPS 2017 models.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Supposedly some vendors are underclocking/undervolting the 1050 to 40W, which will make it attractive in the "I want amazingly long battery life" segment - I'd expect it to make an appearance in a lot of quad-Kaby 4K Ultrabooks which will only ever be used for playing 4K HDR content in First/Business Class. The 2GB 1050s are evidently being targeted at the shockingly-still-existent sector of laptops with 1600x900 screens. The 2GB 1050Ti will be the base model GPU on the new Alienware 13, proving that despite their strides, Dell can still bring a little bit of horrible into this world.

Good. I'd rather have a regular 1050 running at max clocks all the time rather than a 1050ti that throttles like a bitch. Some poo poo is getting too thin these days and its causing throttling and dismal battery capacities.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Seamonster posted:

Good. I'd rather have a regular 1050 running at max clocks all the time rather than a 1050ti that throttles like a bitch. Some poo poo is getting too thin these days and its causing throttling and dismal battery capacities.
But its THINNER which makes it BETTER!

(I agree with you).

Damnit dell, where's the 9560 availability? I wants it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eames posted:

I... kinda love this.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

SinineSiil posted:

I think 960M or 950M would be good enough for most stuff you'd do in UE4 at beginner level. Even my old laptop with 555M and i5 2410M was good enough for playing around with blueprints before I got my new computer.

Looking at this benchmark comparison I agree and I think that I could get by with a 950M.

Any recommendations for a used >=15.6" at least 1080p Windows 10 compatible, intel PSU laptop with a 950M?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

eames posted:

At least one major OEM — I believe it was Asus — stated that they won't make 1050ti notebooks because the chip's price/performance ratio is unattractive, with OEM pricing being too close to the GTX1060.

Looks like they decided to make one: ASUS GL553VE-DS74 :confuoot:

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl553ve-ds74.html

eames posted:

:eyepop: Holky gently caress that's cool!

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Can you imagine walking into Starbucks, sitting down, and flipping that thing open? Those hipsters working on their novels on their MBPs wouldn't know what the gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rosalind posted:

Can you imagine walking into Starbucks, sitting down, and flipping that thing open? Those hipsters working on their novels on their MBPs wouldn't know what the gently caress.

"The carbon footprint on that must be insane, so I *hate* it."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

"It doesn't have an Apple logo, so I *hate* it."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

"It doesn't have an Apple logo, so I *hate* it."

Then obviously the solution is to mod a red-lit Apple logo on it and call it a prototype that THEY can't use.

Honestly, though...it does seem like Apple is trying to actively lose their laptop customers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Then obviously the solution is to mod a red-lit Apple logo on it and call it a prototype that THEY can't use.

Honestly, though...it does seem like Apple is trying to actively lose their laptop customers.

They can't kill their laptop business as fast as Microsoft killed Windows Phone. Not even if they try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eames posted:

Where's that gif of the computer that folds out to have a full-size office printer, and a table to put it on?