Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

Loved this episode. Can definitely see why it's a love/hate type of episode though, they took a chance doing something completely different but I thought it worked.

No, you see, if you didn't like the episode, you hate fun! :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Probably the best line from this episode is:
"I wouldn't want to see Orlando Bloom in Boys in the Hood" followed by "Yeah it's weird when you switch it."
Followed by them deciding actually they would like to see that

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Holy poo poo, what a gloriously insane episode. If the rest of the season is anything like this I'm so ready.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I kinda like what they were going for, but I don't think the execution was as good as it could've been. The concept had me laughing for the first half but it kind of sputtered out and whoever said upthread that it sounded like vocals on top of old MIDIs was right on.

I didn't hate it and I didn't love it. Looking forward to next week though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Frank walked around the puddle while going down the brick road and that he was effing awful at dancing compared to the rest of the gang

Also the part where they realized saying "the gang" was bad now

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TheBigAristotle posted:

The smilie almost makes it seem like you are saying this ironically

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I still am not sure if I fully liked the episode but I can appreciate what they try to do to keep the show fresh. I'm fine with them taking some creative stabs and switching things up since they've been at it for so long but this felt a little off for me for some reason. I think after another watch or two I will come around to it more, the ending minute or two really helped pull it back together and reassure me that they hadn't gone completely overboard.

There were a few great laughs for me like when they went to meet Z and the Church Blacks etc. but the songs just felt a bit...stiff? Not sure the right word but it's definitely been stuck in my head today. Looking forward to a return to a more normal formula next week but this one wasn't straight to the dumpster for me like so many people seem to feel.

Also am I crazy or was the Scott Bakula song really actually Charlie's voice? It seemed really apparent to me in some spots.

I echo the sentiment below, the fact that I can only name like 3 or 4 episodes that I dislike after 12 seasons says something about their process working IMO
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 5, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I didn't like this episode but the only way you can continue to make great things is by experimenting and evolving. They shouldn't try to please everyone and I don't have to like every episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yes, you hate fun. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah it was supposed to be poo poo? That's ok then. I look forward to the episodes that are supposed to be good.

Clearly didn't say it's supposed to be bad. You should try to understand what a parody is. Then learn what this was a parody of. Your ignorance of it doesn't make it poo poo.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If musicals are by default fun, then yes, I don't like fun.

But since musicals are not by default fun, and are often incredibly cringey, I'd say it's not that I dislike fun so much as I dislike corny poo poo.

That said, I laughed at Dennis' face caught himself doing that little belly dance at the beginning was pretty great.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I loved Charlie's interrogation scene

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I love Charlie's music.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bates posted:

I didn't like this episode but the only way you can continue to make great things is by experimenting and evolving. They shouldn't try to please everyone and I don't have to like every episode.

I completely agree. I'm sure by next weeks episode I'll have forgotten my dislike of this and I'm sure they'll do another completely balls to the wall episode this year that I love and others will hate. Life is good.

The sad thing is, if this was an episode they did in an earlier season, they probably would've had fresher ideas and it would've worked a lot better. The last season or two has definitely had some episodes that scream of being good ideas that haven't been fully realized and it's part and parcel of a show that's been around for 10+ years.

Super Deuce posted:

Clearly didn't say it's supposed to be bad. You should try to understand what a parody is. Then learn what this was a parody of. Your ignorance of it doesn't make it poo poo.

Ah yes, if you don't like something it's because you're too ignorant to understand it's subtle grace. I guess I just didn't fully understand the nuances of Frank singing a song about how much he wanted to say the N-word, a racial trope that has been run into the ground for decades. gently caress off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm gonna rewatch The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell because I love this goofy poo poo.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

FogHelmut posted:

I'm gonna rewatch The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell because I love this goofy poo poo.

favorite part is cricket accidentally getting his head blown off

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

A person who hates fun posted:

If musicals are by default fun, then yes, I don't like fun.

But since musicals are not by default fun, and are often incredibly cringey, I'd say it's not that I dislike fun so much as I dislike corny poo poo.

That said, I laughed at Dennis' face caught himself doing that little belly dance at the beginning was pretty great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The sad thing is, if this was an episode they did in an earlier season, they probably would've had fresher ideas and it would've worked a lot better. The last season or two has definitely had some episodes that scream of being good ideas that haven't been fully realized and it's part and parcel of a show that's been around for 10+ years.

What the gently caress is this.

Edit: Too many of you are too busy comparing everything that happens in this show to other shows instead of having fun. Yes, Saying the N word is something lots of things have covered but it's something Frank would want to do.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, this was hilarious. I'm so loving stoked for the rest of the season.

What a fun episode.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Yes we get it, you're an idiot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The first episode of the entire show is about the gang being casually racist and completely ignorant of all actual aspects of black culture and lives of black people in the US, these theme has popped up in numerous episodes along the shows run, Frank himself has been explicitly shown to long for the days when the police was openly racist and when you could use racial slurs with impunity. Heck, he even says "Negress".

This most recent episode is not more offensive than those things and if you actually understand the dynamics of the show it was one of the most progressive episodes they've done so far, it takes an unambiguous stance against casual and institutional racism and attempts to confront white people with the fact that they're oblivious to their own numerous privileges.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 5, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah but nobody cares about the political bona fides, the question is if it is funny...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Agronox posted:

Yeah but nobody cares about the political bona fides, the question is if it is funny...

It was. Case closed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agronox posted:

I wish Patrice O'Neal was still around, because he was a pretty good champion of saying you can joke about anything. If you can write a joke that's offensive as hell and make me laugh and then make me feel bad, that's the best joke. I didn't find last nights episode particularly offensive, just bad.

The Gang Gets Racist is a good comparison because of the obvious theme, but the fact that it was the first penned episode before the show found its footing, had Dee be swapped out from a different actress and having pretty much no real character, and not having Frank in the cast but STILL being a million times funnier is the point.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

It was. Case closed.

I will allow it. Next case!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ChesterJT posted:

Yes we get it, you're an idiot.

a fun-loving idiot

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This is really not the first time the show pulls of a concept episode, they tend to be less funny in general.

The gang gets racist is a good episode but the first season also has Gun Fever which has about 4 jokes the entire episode.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that this episode was in no way terrible and we can't go through this entire "show sucks now" cycle every time a relatively poor episode pops out.

This was still a hundred times better than the Richard Grieco episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ChesterJT posted:

I will allow it. Next case!

The next case is The Lawyer vs Charlie Kelly for an unresolved account of bird assault in the first.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish Patrice O'Neal was still around, because he was a pretty good champion of saying you can joke about anything. If you can write a joke that's offensive as hell and make me laugh and then make me feel bad, that's the best joke. I didn't find last nights episode particularly offensive, just bad.

The Gang Gets Racist is a good comparison because of the obvious theme, but the fact that it was the first penned episode before the show found its footing, had Dee be swapped out from a different actress and having pretty much no real character, and not having Frank in the cast but STILL being a million times funnier is the point.

RIP Patrice O'Neal

:smith:

The Gang Get's Racist was the pilot/first episode but the first penned episode/first they wrote was Charlie Gets Cancer, it's the one they shopped around to get the show picked up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah that's true. And there was that pre-Sunny pilot that's on YT that's completely different and a real hard watch from memory. Pretty amazing they turned it into a great show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah yeah that's true. And there was that pre-Sunny pilot that's on YT that's completely different and a real hard watch from memory. Pretty amazing they turned it into a great show.

If you haven't already seen Glen Howerton in "That 80s Show" do yourself a favor and never watch it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FogHelmut posted:

Same. It's weird how this thread can never agree on anything

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luvcow posted:

If you haven't already seen Glen Howerton in "That 80s Show" do yourself a favor and never watch it

I still remember sitting down to watch the first episode with hope in my heart. A sad day for America.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still remember sitting down to watch the first episode with hope in my heart. A sad day for America.

:same:

I liked That 70s Show and while I didn't have high hopes for an 80s version I had no idea it would be so bad.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Luvcow posted:

:same:

I liked That 70s Show and while I didn't have high hopes for an 80s version I had no idea it would be so bad.

Add me to this list.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, in addition to being assholes and racists, they're also stupid. It is made extremely clear that the gang is as dumb as they are mean and you shouldn't agree with their opinions on anything.

It was also Old Black Man's dream impression of them, that was probably way nicer than how they actually are.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure Glenn isn't a fan either:

https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton/status/267715312529596416?lang=en

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wait you guys hate Frank's Brother

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Wait you guys hate Frank's Brother

It's probably the worst ep of the series, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The first episode of the entire show is about the gang being casually racist and completely ignorant of all actual aspects of black culture and lives of black people in the US, these theme has popped up in numerous episodes along the shows run, Frank himself has been explicitly shown to long for the days when the police was openly racist and when you could use racial slurs with impunity. Heck, he even says "Negress".

This most recent episode is not more offensive than those things and if you actually understand the dynamics of the show it was one of the most progressive episodes they've done so far, it takes an unambiguous stance against casual and institutional racism and attempts to confront white people with the fact that they're oblivious to their own numerous privileges.

Also when Charlie tries to get them to take down the "Speak American" sign in the bar during Charlie Work Frank says "What if he's a racist too?"

Also I don't understand why the Liberty Bell one is always listed in the worst episodes, I do understand Frank's Brother but I think Dee Makes a Smut Film or even Frank Falls Out The Window are worse than the Liberty Bell. Just personal opinion I never understood why it was received so badly, the image of them sodomizing the queen etc., Charlie and Frank and the guns, Dee spitting in crickets face, and the entire end with the globe stuffed in Charlie's shirt is hilarious to me.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 5, 2017