Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Dropped 50 mithril on banner 2. Thancred's Burst, Papalymo's Burst, Yda's SSB. :flame:

Still really interested in playing around with Yda's Burst but I can't justify another pull. The greased lightning effect might not be super optimal but it sounds fun as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hemming and hawing about only doing 1 FFT draw to do a draw of FF14 part 2. I would really like Papalymo's BSB but chasing 1 relic is a fools errand. I brought it as an RW and he(?) tore poo poo up with it coupled with leylines.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Pulled a 2/11 on the first banner and I FINALLY have a loving wall (I also got the holy burst sword for MinFin). While the original recipe Medica isn't as hot as its newer counterparts, having both it and stoneskin finally gives me enough reason to level up Yshtola.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
People who pay more attention to non-5*s than me, can I get a short list of 3*s and 4*s to look out for and definitely reforge? My inventory and vault are reaching critical mass and I'm going to go through and sell all the 3*s other than the decent ones.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

People who pay more attention to non-5*s than me, can I get a short list of 3*s and 4*s to look out for and definitely reforge? My inventory and vault are reaching critical mass and I'm going to go through and sell all the 3*s other than the decent ones.

FF6 Crystal Helms are fantastic with synergy when reforged. I still use FF5 thornlets and hypnocrown. Any four star axe or hammer will probably be really good, I still use the one from FF 12. Royal Crowns from FF6 are still good. Obviously any 4 star weapon from a realm with rare synergy like FF1 should be combined and held on to. The Sages Staff for FF4 I will still use sometimes because it has a holy boost attached to it. Ditto the Ice Rod for FF4.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I don't think there's any proper list that would be an universal solution. Mostly just look at what synergy you have, and go from there?

What I did was:

- Basically junk all 3* items, period. I have enough 4* and 5* gear to not give a poo poo about even reforged 3* stuff.
- I've made a point to keep all 4* weapons, most of them in the vault. A double combined, reforged 4* item (7*+++) is pretty much as strong as a native 5* item is with synergy. This'll change when I start getting things like my 5th sword in a realm, or whatever.
- Tossed out all armor 4* armor that doesn't have offensive stats on it. They might have high defenses with synergy, but I still tend to get the most use out of my various hats, bracers and helmets. If I really just need defenses, I take out a natural 5* armor instead.
- 4* armor that DOES have Atk, Mag or Mind? I've kept them all, and keep combining upwards. Having multiple Crystal Helmets VI is absurd, for example. Slowly reaching the point where I can start tossing these too though, just because there's only 5 people in a party.

But I have over 200 items in my inventory now, even without any 3* stuff. I just have too many things to bother with them anymore. :shrug:

(edit) Unrelated to that, but get stomped Torment d250! :black101:

Basically in a moment of weakness, I threw 50 more mythril at the FFV Banner 1, which still had a lot of items I wanted. Landed Galuf BSB. :toot:

It didn't do very much damage at all vs. their defenses, but it still filled in the last remaining elemental BSB slot for this fight (Rydia, Serah, Galuf). More importantly the constant stream of additional heals meant that I had no issues with random damage spikes, and Vanille was free to just heal up the AoE damage. Also proved rather handy for trash, since I could lifesiphon it up early and enjoy solid damage + heals without using hones.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 5, 2017

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Inventory management is too much effort

10 mythril is worth it to not have to care anymore

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Basically; can you keep her from taking damage? If so, she'll get faster and faster and stronger and stronger. Once she gets rolling like that I'd say it approaches Firion's BSB in power. Worst case scenario? It's an 8 hit fire/non fullbreak. That's not bad in itself. And it comes with its own +fire fist too.

Is Yda's BSB one of the worst? It seems OK at best.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MarcusSA posted:

Is Yda's BSB one of the worst? It seems OK at best.

Solidly midtier, situationally excellent. Honestly at worst it's pure damage with a bonus of Full Breakdown but no Breakdown commands. It'll shine more against slow bosses or those with moves that can be Tauntaliated or Magic Lured.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Solidly midtier, situationally excellent. Honestly at worst it's pure damage with a bonus of Full Breakdown but no Breakdown commands. It'll shine more against slow bosses or those with moves that can be Tauntaliated or Magic Lured.

Alright thats not horrible. I mean I can't really complain about getting it for a buck but I don't think that I will be using it a whole lot.

EDIT: I should probably just use the drat thing on Refia and get the most use out of it since I have her BSB too.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 5, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Pulled Thancred's BSB off the XIV dollar draw. Is this thing going to be as awesome for a fire team as I think it is?

Thancred BSB + Refia BSB + Terra's Fire Beam... I'm liking the sound of that. It'd be better with the Blood Sword but we can't get everything we want.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's viable to run two mages, you just have to Defend with the front row one until mitigation is up. And in an ideal world I'd like to have Vivi in the back row, but c'est la vive.

Full-mage (with 1-2 supports) MP parties can be and are a viable thing.

Oh, I wasn't aware it was doable, all the mage pairs I've seen in MP end with the frontrow mage dying quickly and tragically. In the case of Vivi, the player had Terra in the back row which confused me because wouldn't Terra be way beefier than Vivi? :psyduck:

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Also the number of parties I joined tonight with every healer packing protectga was amazing. Doesn't anyone check what abilities everyone else is bringing? (I know the answer is no.)

In the raid member screen, abilities still don't update when people change them while getting ready, so if all the healers decide to switch out protectga you don't find out until the battle starts. That's more on dena than the players but I'm sure it'll keep happening after it's fixed.

I think I'm ready to reforge some poo poo but I would like the threads opinions. Here are the candidates:

Lightning Steel++(X) - my third strongest sword with no synergy, but it only beats out other swords by a couple points. A lot of swords with synergy are stronger but it has +lightning which has a lot of potential.

Rising Sun++ (VIII) - my second strongest mage weapon by quite a bit, first being a book :v: I use Hope and Rinoa all the time so the weird weapon type isn't a problem.

Mace of Zeus++ (V) or Omnirod++(XIV) - equal mind, I'm leaning towards MoZ because V synergy is much more common and with synergy it's beautifully disgusting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All three ultimates for XIV were super easy. Garuda gave me a tiny bit of trouble until I used the strategy of "Forget the stupid feathers, just keep pounding Garuda" and then it went well.

The Torment dungeon on the other hand is kicking my rear end. I have no clue what to do about it. I have a feeling I should probably just give up on it until I get a BSB medica, it seems like that's pretty much required, since Selphie's Dreamstage can't keep up.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I demolished Garuda U++ with my spanking new Mage Team faster than a full 8-man level 60 party destroying Garuda Extreme unsynched in FF14. It was pretty amazing. Ends up Hope(BSB)/Alphinaud(BSB)/Papalymo(Leylines)/Tyro(SG/Support)/Arc(2 SSBs) is making for a pretty ballers team when I RW OK's BSB on Papalymo.

I do need some advice, mind. I am thinking of pulling a fifth time on FF14. I got Alphinaud's BSB, all of Y'shtola's except her BSB and Papalymo's SSB. I KINDA want Y'shtola's BSB. I've got about 120 Mithril or something, and I'm thinking of saving for one pull on that shot for Raines' BSB and one or two for TG Cid.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Cosmic Afro posted:

I do need some advice, mind. I am thinking of pulling a fifth time on FF14. I got Alphinaud's BSB, all of Y'shtola's except her BSB and Papalymo's SSB. I KINDA want Y'shtola's BSB. I've got about 120 Mithril or something, and I'm thinking of saving for one pull on that shot for Raines' BSB and one or two for TG Cid.

If you've got everything except two items I wouldn't do it. Chasing a single item on a banner full of dupes is a recipe for tears.

Just how good is the Orlandu banner coming up? My FFt synergy is pretty solid overall but if it's really ridiculous I may pull. I also want to pull on the summoner nightmare later this month because my caster attack SBs are lacking but my 9, 10 and 13 synergy also kind of suck.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Just how good is the Orlandu banner coming up? My FFt synergy is pretty solid overall but if it's really ridiculous I may pull. I also want to pull on the summoner nightmare later this month because my caster attack SBs are lacking but my 9, 10 and 13 synergy also kind of suck.

I'm having a tough time with that banner, too. Orlandu is badass and feels like a step up on the power curve for damage-dealers, but I've also got Agrias's BSB, Plat Sword, another sword, and a generic robe/rod/dagger for synergy in a realm that isn't particularly common or useful to have synergy in.

I'd say it depends on how much generic utility you'd get out of the non-Orlandu items. Agrias's BSB and Kaiser Shield are great SBs, for example, if you don't already have something like them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm thinking I should bust out a Mage Team starring Vivi's Burst for the Ultimate+. Good idea? I don't have too many stat sticks, but Ley Lines and Deployment Tactics should do work. I could maybe go full Cid Mission, but eh, why start now?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm having a tough time with that banner, too. Orlandu is badass and feels like a step up on the power curve for damage-dealers, but I've also got Agrias's BSB, Plat Sword, another sword, and a generic robe/rod/dagger for synergy in a realm that isn't particularly common or useful to have synergy in.

I'd say it depends on how much generic utility you'd get out of the non-Orlandu items. Agrias's BSB and Kaiser Shield are great SBs, for example, if you don't already have something like them.

I may end up doing just a dollar pull then even though FFT is my favorite game. :(

The only thing on the banner other than Orlandu is maybe the Mythril gun. I've already got Agrias's BSB and Cleansing Strike plus the healing staff. I've got 3 swords, 2 daggers, 2 staves, a rod, 2 heavy armors, a shield, bracer and robe. I'm pretty set.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah, while I want to pull on that banner, I also have FFT synergy up the wazoo already. At this point Y'shtola BSB is in higher demand for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My Tactics synergy is trash because I refuse to chase Shout and the only pull I've done on a Tactics banner gave me a chameleon robe and a white staff

I did pick up a Kaiser Shield somewhere, but that's the extent of my synergy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Seems the FFXIV ult fight can drop black crystals (also MSO/GFO). Tempted to just burn excess stamina on it since the fight's so drat easy for my team and it's not like you can reliably get 6* skill mats through other means.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Orlandu seems like the kind of thing you wait for a fest banner to go for.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Seems the FFXIV ult fight can drop black crystals (also MSO/GFO). Tempted to just burn excess stamina on it since the fight's so drat easy for my team and it's not like you can reliably get 6* skill mats through other means.

It dropped Dark Crystals for me, but if it can drop Black Crystals too... I'm getting pretty close to honing Meltdown.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wait... Ults drop Crystals?!

How did I never notice this, and why did no one tell me :mad:

I thought crystals only came from the one time mission rewards, so I still don't have enough to hone the majority of 6* skills.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I already have good FFT synergy but I'll be pulling on Orlandu because he's my waifu

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Alright, Ultima Weapon is wrecking me with these spammed doom ultimates. I'll be doing fine and then he'll spam two before I can get my medica off again. Any suggestions?

Current set-up:
Beatrix/Banishing Strike/Lifesiphon/One-eyed General/Knight Protector
Cloud/Full Charge/Lifesiphon/Attunement II/Climhazzard/Finishing Touch (RW Monkey)
Y'shtola/Curaga/Shellga/Dr. Mog's Teachings/Stoneskin II/Medica II
Aeris/Curaja/Protectga/Battleforged/White Materia
Ramza/Full Break/Lifesiphon/Mako Might/Shout

RW: Weaponmaster

All level 80, save for Cloud who's 83. I don't have Ace Striker yet, unfortunately.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Take Eiko as your RW instead. Boosted crits and healing BSB instead of offense. You have more offense than I did and I took him down with double healers.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm finally at the stage where it looks I'm going to be clearing the weeklies outside of dumb gimmicks :toot: Cleared the four crystals and Ultima, V and XIV ultimates. I'd never even attempted an ultimate before this set so it feels pretty good! Exdeath U++ sure was interesting with a physical team.

No desperate need for anything now, so I can be more careful with where I spend my myt-hahahaha who am I kidding :justpull:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

I already have good FFT synergy but I'll be pulling on Orlandu because he's my waifu

I mean yeah once your core is set this is as good a reason as any

I always do at least one 11-pull on every Balthier SSB/BSB banner :/

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I caught a glimpse of the Ninja future on the U+, and it seems pretty good. Thancred, who is a pretty bad magical ninja, took a no-synergy getup of Desch's Sword, Shura Gloves and Gigas Armlet to the Isgebind fight and managed to get quad-nines on both Smoldering Fire hits with just Ley Lines. I did have Hardened Assassin on but I mean, when wouldn't I have that on? Seems that when in doubt, ignoring defensive stats is the way to go.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

When does the next batch of MC3s get pushed? I have one and my remaining options for 'level 80 with BSB' are Hope and Krile. I could also break Celes since I have her SSB and use her enough to justify it but I'd rather wait to break Quistis/Relm/Eiko/Minfilia.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Adel posted:

Dear people in MP, no you cannot run two mages, especially not Vivi in the front row you dumb idiot. You don't have to blow your elemental BSB/OSB the moment you get a charge, we would all appreciate it if you waited until the mob's weakness phase.

Dear DENA, please add "Wall please!" "I'll cast Wall" stickers, it will save many tears and wasted soul breaks.

In the same vein: I brought OK with his burst. Wait until you have the buff before you blow your OSB on turn one.

On top of what was said, you absolutely can use Onion Knight as a front-row tank mage. This is likely possible with Golbez and Exdeath as well, though they won't do it quite as well on account of not being Onion Knight.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

FF6 Crystal Helms are fantastic with synergy when reforged. I still use FF5 thornlets and hypnocrown. Any four star axe or hammer will probably be really good, I still use the one from FF 12. Royal Crowns from FF6 are still good. Obviously any 4 star weapon from a realm with rare synergy like FF1 should be combined and held on to. The Sages Staff for FF4 I will still use sometimes because it has a holy boost attached to it. Ditto the Ice Rod for FF4.

In addition to the obvious winning commons (Crystal Helm VI, Hypno Crown V, Hammerhead XII, the FF5 axes) feel free to reforge 3*s in order to patch up lovely synergy - a +++ Flame Rod V isn't going to win any awards without synergy, but if you've never pulled a single FF5 mage weapon (like me), it can be a lifesaver between its +Fire and its slightly-better-than-off-synergy-5*s synergy stats.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Inge posted:

Papi's stardust rod on dollar pull :)
:boom:

It was pretty nice after blanking on those for a while. With a bit of luck I'll scrounge up enough mythril for an 11-pull on banner 1 before the event ends.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Report: it worked, Vivi rekt the U+. It's a shame I have to wait so long to see what he's like at level 99. It was also kind of awkward to see his Burst command 1 do more damage than the BSB entry. I know it's because the entry is AOE, but still.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Beasteh posted:

When does the next batch of MC3s get pushed? I have one and my remaining options for 'level 80 with BSB' are Hope and Krile. I could also break Celes since I have her SSB and use her enough to justify it but I'd rather wait to break Quistis/Relm/Eiko/Minfilia.

Next batch should arrive tomorrow with the XIII event, but none of Quistis/Relm/Eiko/Minfilia are in it.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Guess my boy Hope gets 'the treatment' then

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

KnoxZone posted:

Next batch should arrive tomorrow with the XIII event, but none of Quistis/Relm/Eiko/Minfilia are in it.

Whose crystals are in the batch?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

AweStriker posted:

Whose crystals are in the batch?

Wol, Minwu, Arc, Edge, Gilgamesh, Edgar, Sephiroth, Selphie, Kuja, Jecht, Ayame, Penelo, Serah, Papalymo, and Mustadio.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd probably go for Celes, honestly. Indomitable Blade might as well be a BSB. I don't know the rest of your situation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I demand an Alphinaud MC3 :mad:

• Locked thread