Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am playing the game Catherine and I am convinced these block puzzles are unwinnable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Catherine is weird, but I really liked it and never had trouble

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Come to my house and beat these puzzles

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I remember is there's a freeform puzzle in Catherine towards the end that constantly replenishes blocks and I pushed all the blocks in a row and made the entire tower fall so hard that the game loving froze for like 40 seconds while it sat and thought about where all the blocks were supposed to go.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

RyokoTK posted:

The only good roguelite is Nuclear Throne, basically.
Don't forget rogue legacy! :eng101:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

there wolf lmao posted:

rogue legacy wasn't very good; super repetitive even by roguelite standards

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rogue legacy loving sucks. You meant Spelunky

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

there wolf lmao posted:

I didn't. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Isaac is by far the worst roguelite I've played in terms of letting RNG control a run. Worse than faster than light, worse than gungeon.

I do not know what the point of isaac is now that nuclear throne exists.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

im still mad that you never get to fight the electrocutioner. also, i went through all of origins without ever finding shiva

The cool boss fight cock block Knight pulls with Deathstroke is even worse. You have to do pretty much everything but the Riddler trophies to unlock him. The previous fight you had against him in the Arkham series was awesome. Plus, you know, he's Deathstroke. He's like Batman but with swords and guns! Then when you finally slog through all the bullshit to get to him it turns out He's just another lovely mega-tank fight

Digirat posted:

Isaac is by far the worst roguelite I've played in terms of letting RNG control a run. Worse than faster than light, worse than gungeon.

This used to be a feature from my point of view. I liked the challenge of adapting my playstyle to whatever loot I found. You'd usually become pretty powerful if you survived long enough and knew how to use what you found. Now though, there are so many items that are either duds or actively detrimental in all but a few specific combinations that the odds of getting a fun playthrough are pretty slim.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jan 4, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Digirat posted:

Well if the game was designed better that would be a feature, not a bug. Isaac and NT aren't really comparable games. In NT you have a relatively slim pool of perks to pick from and lots of slot machine pulls for finding weapons you need, so mostly if you have a good build in your mind you are very likely to at least get almost there, the question about the game post-loop is very simply gittin' gud. Besides, the core gameplay of NT is still fuckin' fun even on the thousandth reset and even with the basic guns because you aren't weak slow and pathetic.

Isaac is a game that is determined by RNG, but if they were smart the RNG wouldn't be "do I get to kill poo poo or not," the question would be "do I get to kill poo poo like this or kill poo poo like that." The problem is that, strip the game of the powerups and it's kind of boring, so if all you get from the first couple floors is like an HP-up item and some junk then prepare for a 45-minute snooze fest until you burn out because you have no damage output.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

The only good roguelite is WASTED, basically.

agreed

The Moon Monster posted:

The cool boss fight cock block Knight pulls with Deathstroke is even worse. You have to do pretty much everything but the Riddler trophies to unlock him. The previous fight you had against him in the Arkham series was awesome. Plus, you know, he's Deathstroke. He's like Batman but with swords and guns! Then when you finally slog through all the bullshit to get to him it turns out He's just another lovely mega-tank fight

correction, he's the SAME lovely mega-tank fight that you had with Jason Todd

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Well if the game was designed better that would be a feature, not a bug. Isaac and NT aren't really comparable games. In NT you have a relatively slim pool of perks to pick from and lots of slot machine pulls for finding weapons you need, so mostly if you have a good build in your mind you are very likely to at least get almost there, the question about the game post-loop is very simply gittin' gud. Besides, the core gameplay of NT is still fuckin' fun even on the thousandth reset and even with the basic guns because you aren't weak slow and pathetic.

Isaac is a game that is determined by RNG, but if they were smart the RNG wouldn't be "do I get to kill poo poo or not," the question would be "do I get to kill poo poo like this or kill poo poo like that." The problem is that, strip the game of the powerups and it's kind of boring, so if all you get from the first couple floors is like an HP-up item and some junk then prepare for a 45-minute snooze fest until you burn out because you have no damage output.

And then the BoI dev looked at people getting fuckcrazy powerful through careful manipulation of the RNG- note, this is the only way to have fun with BoI- and said "Well gently caress those guys" and put in bosses that gain damage reduction proportional to player damage output. So even if you get lucky and start stomping the game's difficulty curve into the tarmac (usually achieved by selling off your permanent HP and lucking into a couple of the totally broken drops), you'll then hit a wall of meat that will beat your two-HP rear end to permadeath while taking zero fuckin' damage from your physics-shattering bullet storm.

If you ever played DnD, even back in version 3.0 (the bad one) they had a note in the DM's guide saying "Don't nullify the players' powers. If the wizard gets fireball, don't give every enemy fire immunity from then on out." The BoI dev looked at that and thought "Yeah but that might mean people have fun" and shat all over his own game's one redeeming thing.

Game good? Roguelites are a habit of mine, and if this one does something different (or does normal stuff well) I'd like to pick it up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

rogue legacy loving sucks. You meant Spelunky

The controls in Rogue Legacy are awful, they're way too floaty and the hitboxes are way too wonky for the kind of precision platforming it expects to navigate levels and fight huge groups of enemies. That and for how heavily it relies on upgrades to progress they cost so much and do so little that it gets really grindy and tedious after the first few hours.

The Moon Monster posted:

This used to be a feature from my point of view. I liked the challenge of adapting my playstyle to whatever loot I found. You'd usually become pretty powerful if you survived long enough and knew how to use what you found. Now though, there are so many items that are either duds or actively detrimental in all but a few specific combinations that the odds of getting a fun playthrough are pretty slim.

I still like it in BoI because being awesomely overpowered when the stars align feels so great and is something so many games actively try to prevent in the name of balance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

The controls in Rogue Legacy are awful, they're way too floaty and the hitboxes are way too wonky for the kind of precision platforming it expects to navigate levels and fight huge groups of enemies. That and for how heavily it relies on upgrades to progress they cost so much and do so little that it gets really grindy and tedious after the first few hours.

I thought the grindiness was actually the point of Rogue Legacy. I didn't think it was a great game by any means but I thought it was a fine way to kill ten hours. Every death from a half-decent run still makes your subsequent runs marginally better so getting a win was an eventuality. The problem that I have with it is that I don't want to beat a roguelite once, but once you do get that win, there's not much to do other than wipe your save and start over. And each save plays pretty much the same way. I ascended in Rogue Legacy twice, and both took about the same amount of time and played out the same way.

quote:

I still like it in BoI because being awesomely overpowered when the stars align feels so great and is something so many games actively try to prevent in the name of balance.

Those cosmic moments are what makes the entire genre of roguelikes work, and you're right, I don't understand why games go out of their way to prevent them from happening. My first win in Crawl was as a Minotaur Fighter and getting a massive pile of awesome artifacts that complement each other, and then I pretty much just facerolled my way to ascension. That moment was made all the sweeter because 19 runs out of 20 in Crawl are doomed to an inescapable death from an Adder or Gnoll or Orc Priest in the first few floors (a thing dragging that game down, for sure).

The first time in Nuclear Throne that you get the combination of the Super Plasma Cannon and Trigger Fingers is pretty magical, as you pretty much wipe two thirds of a level in two pulls of the trigger. (And then you're out of ammo, but hey.) The thing about NT is that after you loop, you can have all the SPCs you want, it's not going to prevent you from getting completely owned by an Elite Shielder or something because you put yourself out of position trying to get more ammo.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jan 5, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Somfin posted:

Game good? Roguelites are a habit of mine, and if this one does something different (or does normal stuff well) I'd like to pick it up.

WASTED plays like Fallout 3 - onwards (minus VATS), while the roguelike aspect of it is in the dungeon generation. While it has permadeath, you can store items and cash in your house in case you die, and special equipment or weapons that are on you upon dying get moved over to the courier station, where you can buy them back. they don't go away, but they're pretty expensive. the only problems i have with the game are that there's only two shotguns, the dungeon generation can get really samey quickly, and death from tripping on bricks is annoying as poo poo. Seriously, be careful around bricks. They're your best weapon if you have clothing with SNEAK points, but if it rebounds and hits you, say hi to your next character. Once you drink your first bottle of booze, you unlock the Courier's Run, in which you can get some great clothing (CHIMPS clothing, its the best you can find), but you can only deposit ONE item per run. it's just a daily dungeon that gets terrifyingly hard past the 15th floor.

If you like first person shooters, stupid mutators like enemies exploding upon death, and 80s-stlyed music, it's a game you'll enjoy.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Somfin posted:

If you ever played DnD, even back in version 3.0 (the bad one) they had a note in the DM's guide saying "Don't nullify the players' powers. If the wizard gets fireball, don't give every enemy fire immunity from then on out." The BoI dev looked at that and thought "Yeah but that might mean people have fun" and shat all over his own game's one redeeming thing.

I'm really tired of devs who are seemingly terrified of their game getting a rep as being too easy so they push wildly in the other direction. This opinion definitely paints me as a lame-o, but it still feels really lovely to start playing something I'm interested in, hit my personal skill ceiling on the second level, and realize I can either replay the first part of the game forever and hope to maybe fluke my way to level 3 someday—or give up and watch the content otherwise forbidden to me on youtube, usually overdubbed with a boyman shouting all his best swear words.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm really tired of devs who are seemingly terrified of their game getting a rep as being too easy so they push wildly in the other direction. This opinion definitely paints me as a lame-o, but it still feels really lovely to start playing something I'm interested in, hit my personal skill ceiling on the second level, and realize I can either replay the first part of the game forever and hope to maybe fluke my way to level 3 someday—or give up and watch the content otherwise forbidden to me on youtube, usually overdubbed with a boyman shouting all his best swear words.

The reverse of this is kind of how I got snookered into buying Isaac Rebirth to begin with, because streamers that have like 4000 hours into Isaac since the original release make the game look really fast and fun and exciting. Only to find out that if you're a scrub newbie like I am, the game is slow and impenetrable and pretty unpleasant to play.

I'm watching said streamer now and he's playing the newest expansion, Afterbirth+, which I luckily did not buy, unless you think poo poo like endless enemy spawners on the very first floor -- possibly before you find any items whatsoever -- or mimic chests that don't look different from regular chests in any way are worth $7 to you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear Throne is an insanely amazing game, and so is Spelunky. There's no reason roguelites can't be great, it's just that they require very careful design, and games often just don't understand what makes it good, because you have to manage the randomness very carefully. Gungeon has good basic movement, shooting, etc., but is way too hesitant to give players meaningful tools. FTL is very pretty with a cool concept, but is so random, even moment-to-moment in battles, that it's essentially just a neat-looking slot machine. Binding of Isaac is better, but still too random, but I would still call it at least "good." This is why the original Spelunky is very slightly better than the remake, although the remake is still excellent. But the original is a little less random.

Edit: Although it sounds like some of the newer versions of BoI and the expansions push it down, I haven't played them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
what do mimics do in isaac?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

I really hate this and it's what ultimately made me quit Puzzle and Dragons. A mobile game, sure. But basically when it first game out, we all had limited selection of dudes and the most popular builds were either simple attack focused teams, or tank teams with high defense and health. Not happy that teams could stall until their attacks were ready, the devs made the next major waves of dungeons effectively timed. If you couldn't down bosses in 3 or so turns, they'd just instantly kill you. Tank teams were now completely worthless, and everything shifted to a pure damage output focus and it only got worse from there. Every few months a big new update would happen, all the old attack teams couldn't keep up with the new gimmicks and power creep and you had to be lucky enough to get the new, stronger units from the RNG to be able to do the new content. When I quit, there were still dungeons from almost a year ago I hadn't finished because they were just the right blend of bullshit that I would probably never get them done unless I ran one of two specific team setups that were strong enough to clear anything, but I hated using because they relied on way too much RNG to pull off.

What I'm saying is that it's no fun when a game dev hands you a million cool tools but they're all useless because they feel like they should control how players play the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Action Tortoise posted:

what do mimics do in isaac?

It looks like they are the same as spike chests (they hurt you, and then give you the item), only the spikes don't come out until you're like one pixel or two away. Considering how floaty the movement is in Isaac, this isn't a reasonable check in any way.

And don't get me wrong, I love mimics in video games as a troll move, but they should be a relatively low difficulty check to see if you're paying attention. Dark Souls mimics look goofy and getting killed by a mimic is a great moment because you know it's your fault if you fall for it. Mimics in Nuclear Throne are so obvious and checking for a mimic is basically free so you have no excuse for ever getting hit by one. It seems like the mimics in Afterbirth+ are a deliberate dick move.

Nuebot posted:

What I'm saying is that it's no fun when a game dev hands you a million cool tools but they're all useless because they feel like they should control how players play the game.

It's like, what if someone wanted to make a roguelite that had the best elements of Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, and made it a hugely skill-based game with lots of dodging but gave you a roll with i-frames... and then made it so that you could never use the weapons you were given because they deliberately made ammo pickups not spawn. Just to prevent the dreaded situation where a player found a super-strong gun and won the game by using it.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jan 5, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I thought the grindiness was actually the point of Rogue Legacy. I didn't think it was a great game by any means but I thought it was a fine way to kill ten hours. Every death from a half-decent run still makes your subsequent runs marginally better so getting a win was an eventuality. The problem that I have with it is that I don't want to beat a roguelite once, but once you do get that win, there's not much to do other than wipe your save and start over. And each save plays pretty much the same way. I ascended in Rogue Legacy twice, and both took about the same amount of time and played out the same way.

I wouldn't really even call Rogue Legacy a proper roguelite. The game's main hook seemed to be leveling up your settlement which sort of flies in the face of the permadeath and non-persistant character ideas. I also found the platforming kind of awful. Your character was just too huge, floaty and cartoony for the amount of precision it demanded.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Different strokes and all, but I played Binding of Isaac for the first time two weeks ago when I bought it in the steam sale and it had the expansion with it and I beat the game on my third game ever and have since knocked out a few of the challenges and extra bosses. It can be tough but a run takes like a half hour and you're constantly unlocking new items, characters, challenges, etc. so even if you die due to a bad diceroll it's still not a total loss because you have more new toys for next time. That balance is actually a lot of why I like it when games like Spelunky would lose my interest after a few hours.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bad dicerolls are part of the roguelite genre, I'm not mad about that. The problem is just that if you get the bad dicerolls in Isaac, you should really just mash that R button and keep doing it until you spawn next to an item room to save yourself a minute or two in the future. It's not worth your time to try to hash out a run with crappy loot because you won't win and adding items to the loot pool is just as likely as not to actually hurt future runs by diluting the selection of actually useful goods. Sure, you could probably kill It Lives with the basic tears but it's so not fun to do it.

I mean, I get the point, because a death in Spelunky is a complete waste of time, especially if you get hit by an enemy and then get knocked into a spike trap and die instantly. But on the other hand, in Spelunky you can't really get completely locked out of a run by bad item drops because you can always just git gud and win it, and the platforming and combat in Spelunky is perfectly fine even without items.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Agreed. I enjoy crazy difficult games, but only if they're actually fair. Like with the Soulsbourne games if I die I feel like I just need to rethink my approach or simply improve my skills and I can jump back in feeling like maybe this time I've got it figured out. But if I'm playing a game where my ability to win or lose rides almost entirely on the RNG being favorable, it feels like a rip-off. There's nothing less fun than doing absolutely everything right with the tools you're given and lose anyway because you were given poo poo tools

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kit Walker posted:

Agreed. I enjoy crazy difficult games, but only if they're actually fair. Like with the Soulsbourne games if I die I feel like I just need to rethink my approach or simply improve my skills and I can jump back in feeling like maybe this time I've got it figured out. But if I'm playing a game where my ability to win or lose rides almost entirely on the RNG being favorable, it feels like a rip-off. There's nothing less fun than doing absolutely everything right with the tools you're given and lose anyway because you were given poo poo tools

Generally speaking the souls games don't fall into the trap as often. Even in 2, which had balance issues with its magic. When it first launched Hexes and Miracles were so strong they could one shot most bosses, and the majority of bosses were either weak or had zero resistance to lightning in particular making a cleric absolute easy mode. So they released a patch that over-corrected the damage and resistances so while you could no longer one shot every boss with a lightning bolt, they weren't entirely useless. Plenty of youtube superstars and streamers like DarkSydePhil threw tantrums (DSP literally cried on video) when they couldn't beat bosses instantly and had to play the game. Meanwhile in 3, going pure magic or faith is just going to be a bad time because they made the lightning spells into melee-range shotgun type things and magic just kind of sucks because everything resists it again.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Somfin posted:

And then the BoI dev looked at people getting fuckcrazy powerful through careful manipulation of the RNG- note, this is the only way to have fun with BoI- and said "Well gently caress those guys" and put in bosses that gain damage reduction proportional to player damage output. So even if you get lucky and start stomping the game's difficulty curve into the tarmac (usually achieved by selling off your permanent HP and lucking into a couple of the totally broken drops), you'll then hit a wall of meat that will beat your two-HP rear end to permadeath while taking zero fuckin' damage from your physics-shattering bullet storm.

In D&D, it CAN make some sense for an enemy to kit themselves out in such a way to gently caress you over. Intelligent ones only, presumably recurring ones. It can be pretty fun if you fight the Evil Overlord and toast his minions with an endless deluge of fireballs but he gets away, maybe next time he'll bring along some fire elementals who don't care about your fire. The thing is a lot of DMs would just do it in a spiteful way and suddenly even the giant rats have fire immunity for some reason. That's basically what they did with BoI.

a few weeks ago i tried playing BoI: Afterbirth after leaving it alone for months

after like 3 greed mode runs where i got next to do damage i finally got a good run going

and then a bug trapped me in a room that i couldn't leave

good game

Slime has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 5, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Different strokes and all, but I played Binding of Isaac for the first time two weeks ago when I bought it in the steam sale and it had the expansion with it and I beat the game on my third game ever and have since knocked out a few of the challenges and extra bosses. It can be tough but a run takes like a half hour and you're constantly unlocking new items, characters, challenges, etc. so even if you die due to a bad diceroll it's still not a total loss because you have more new toys for next time. That balance is actually a lot of why I like it when games like Spelunky would lose my interest after a few hours.

Well if you just got it you're actually playing with a fairly small, much better balanced set of items. It's after you add all of the unlockable garbo to the pool that the game becomes a slog.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Slime posted:

In D&D, it CAN make some sense for an enemy to kit themselves out in such a way to gently caress you over. Intelligent ones only, presumably recurring ones. It can be pretty fun if you fight the Evil Overlord and toast his minions with an endless deluge of fireballs but he gets away, maybe next time he'll bring along some fire elementals who don't care about your fire. The thing is a lot of DMs would just do it in a spiteful way and suddenly even the giant rats have fire immunity for some reason. That's basically what they did with BoI.

I DM a D&D campaign and it's something like that, yeah. Intelligent and capable enemies should be trying to kill the players. So if I have a wizard at the top of a tower that you're supposed to kill, and your answer is to all go charging up the stairs at him together, my very first answer is to have that wizard whip a fireball at you because it will be the most effective. If I end up wiping the party because you all ate poo poo from my fireballs, well, that kinda is your fault for playing into my hands, dummy. However not everyone is a smart high-level wizard, and you have to have plenty of chaff in the mix as well to ensure the players still feel strong.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sunswipe posted:

Here's Two Face, one of the best of Batman's villains! And he's never seen again after one boss fight about ten minutes into the game!
In the same way you'll never see Poison Ivy as Batman, he shows back up as the final boss for Catwoman. And not a very good one at that, since it's basically a clumsy prototype for stuff Knight would do better way later - a predator encounter where Two Face has a large health bar so you have to thin out the guards, then beat on him a bunch, then run away before everyone in the room tries to shoot you. Except to make the encounter work, the guards infinitely respawn. And it takes place in one of the crappier predator rooms.

spit on my clit posted:

also, i went through all of origins without ever finding shiva
I missed that side quest for a loooong while on my first playthrough. Unfortunately, it's the one that gives you critical hits. :shepface: You have to pick up on the sound of a crying baby as you exit the bank, which leads to a seemingly abandoned baby carriage, which ends up being a trap or whatever that kicks off the Shiva stuff.

spit on my clit posted:

correction, he's the SAME lovely mega-tank fight that you had with Jason Todd
Actually, it's very slightly different...in that instead of being a tank stealth boss fight it's a tank combat boss fight. Which means it's actually way less involved and not particularly difficult. :eng99:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

In the same way you'll never see Poison Ivy as Batman, he shows back up as the final boss for Catwoman. And not a very good one at that, since it's basically a clumsy prototype for stuff Knight would do better way later - a predator encounter where Two Face has a large health bar so you have to thin out the guards, then beat on him a bunch, then run away before everyone in the room tries to shoot you. Except to make the encounter work, the guards infinitely respawn. And it takes place in one of the crappier predator rooms.

harley's boss fight in the robin dlc is the same thing. arkham stealth is great when it's all about cleaning up armies of thugs. focusing on one guy who spawns an infinite amount of thugs ain't fun since you're waiting for a.i. pathfinding to set up several predator opportunities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thebardyspoon posted:

I just hope whatever the next Batman game is the Joker is kept in the background or not in it at all.
I hope that all Batman writers for the next decade (at minimum) pretend that the Joker doesn't exist. I liked The Dark Knight when it came out, but if I saw it for the first time now I'd stop watching the instant I saw that the Joker was in it. He's really worn out his welcome over the past decade.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

I hope that all Batman writers for the next decade (at minimum) pretend that the Joker doesn't exist. I liked The Dark Knight when it came out, but if I saw it for the first time now I'd stop watching the instant I saw that the Joker was in it. He's really worn out his welcome over the past decade.

this but for bane

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slime posted:

The original BoI was my first experience with McMillan's work outside of briefly playing the original super meat boy for like 10 minutes and the dead babies and poop aesthetic wore thin within a few games of it.

There's so, so many things dragging that game down that just make it unfun to play. Even regular bosses can be a long, boring slog if the RNG doesn't want to give you damage. The new ones are downright torturous with how loving long you have to fight them for. The ones that scale up their defenses are just loving stupid and I have no idea why they were even remotely considered as something to add to the game beyond whatever team member decided on it having vanished up their own rear end in a top hat. Afterbirth was a miserable expansion and I regret ever buying it, and Afterbirth+ just doesn't interest me in the slightest because of how bad I thought Afterbirth was. There's a fanmade mod called Antibirth now that's based on Rebirth only and features none of Afterbirth's content, and from what I've seen it looks much, much better. The bosses are WAY more interesting than the godawful bullet sponges that are in the official content.

I tried replaying it last night without that new dlc installed, and in ten attempts three of them had items that increased my damage output. The most successful run died when I mistakenly picked up an item that blinks black and white and forces you to charge your shots, but if you get hit while it's the wrong color you instantly lose. I quickly remembered why I stopped playing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The time has come for Clock King.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bring upon us all the rise of Lobo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The time has come for Clock King.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the only way i can stand binding of isaac is by watching an lp. ive watched over 500 episodes of some dude on youtube and hes pretty good at it so i understand everything about it, but out of like 50 attempts at playing it ive beaten moms heart exactly once and i havent even unlocked sheol or the cathedral yet and i probably never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

You can't have Batman without Joker, though. Even if you set aside the thematic dichotomy of the two characters, he's part and parcel of the product.