Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the move Telekinesis also makes the target non-grounded. And Magnet Rise, of course.

And everything counts as grounded when Gravity is in effect. There's a lot of things that interact with this status.

I love how Pokemon just gradually becomes a billion rules nobody can keep track of. At some point it's gonna become a dwarf fortress level of complication where using earthquake under telekinesis during grassy terrain when the gen 8 legendary summoned the moon, but the gen 9 legendary caused a lunar eclipse will do double damage (if the gen 9 legendary is japanese)

Tired Moritz posted:

SAMOYED POKEMON PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anyone has a guide for shiny grinding? either by breeding or beating pokemon up.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Anyone has a guide for shiny grinding? either by breeding or beating pokemon up.

Here's the breeding version; breeding is usually the preferred method, as you have much more control over things like abilities, natures and IVs.

The first step should be to complete your Pokédex so you can get the Shiny Charm from the dude in the Gamefreak office in the second floor of the dimensional lab building in Heahea City. This might sound like a lot of effort, but with the GTS and goons to help you it really shouldn't be, and the reward is well worth it (the Shiny Charm basically doubles your chance to get a shiny, both from breeding and chaining).

The next thing you'll need is a Ditto from a different region from your own. "Region" in this case is not related to the actual region of your 3DS/game, but to which language you're playing in. If you're playing in English, this means that any Ditto you find on the GTS tagged with JPN, FRE, GER, SPA, KOR or anything else that is not ENG will be valid for this purpose. Most people prefer to get one of those 6IV shiny level 100 Japanese Dittos holding Destiny Knots that mysteriously appear when you ask someone in the Discord with a green name for one.

Now, figure out if you want a specific nature, ball, ability, egg move or IV spread and prepare accordingly. I'm going to assume you know the basics of breeding for these, if not there are guides for that earlier in the thread.

The rest is just breeding a lot. With a Ditto from a different region than the other parent plus the shiny charm, each egg has a 1/512 chance of hatching a shiny, so you should be prepared to spin in the rodeo pen for some hours.

Also there's something called the Magikarp Method where you manipulate the RNG to get shinies easier or something but I have no idea how that works, maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

tyblazitar posted:

The first step should be to complete your Pokédex so you can get the Shiny Charm from the dude in the Gamefreak office in the second floor of the dimensional lab building in Heahea City. This might sound like a lot of effort, but with the GTS and goons to help you it really shouldn't be, and the reward is well worth it (the Shiny Charm basically doubles your chance to get a shiny, both from breeding and chaining).

What the gently caress? I guess I'll have to start the pokedex grind.

Can I just breed castforms for everything

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tired Moritz posted:

What the gently caress? I guess I'll have to start the pokedex grind.

No, not anymore. You can trade Castform for something that you can then trade for what you really want though (legendaries, ultra beasts and trade evolutions that require items).

Edit: Castform is still enough for about 80%-90% of the Pokedex, so it will get you quite the distance.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 5, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tired Moritz posted:

1) Get a foreign Ditto
2) Play every night for an hour before bed
3) Three months later with no shiny Froakie to show for it, curse your existence

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dr. Fetus posted:

Because they're all seismic Ground moves. That's pretty much the theme behind it.

Nah that doesn't fly, since Bulldoze is there but Fissure isn't.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Are there any "doubles for dummies" style guides for people who are experienced at competitive but new to doubles? I want to try doubles this gen because between no official singles tournaments and all the blatantly double Pokémon/move additions, GF is clearly giving singles the finger.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

less laughter posted:

Nah that doesn't fly, since Bulldoze is there but Fissure isn't.

Fissure doesn't do damage to be reduced, and is just magically opening a hole in the ground besides.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

AlphaKretin posted:

Fissure doesn't do damage to be reduced, and is just magically opening a hole in the ground besides.

Even still, Bulldoze is called Smooth Over in Japan, how is that a seismic move (in either language)?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Grass Field seems like it's good, paired with Gengar.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

spit on my clit posted:

Grass Field seems like it's good, paired with Gengar.

But Genger's not grounded. It has Levi... oh, right:smith:.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got a Beast Ball Dratini in wonder trade, and it's male. If I breed this with ditto will it make more of them in beast balls?

Yes, this is new to Sun and Moon. Males and genderless Pokemon can now pass down their pokeballs when bred with Ditto. Male and female of the same species will have a 50/50 chance of either parent's ball. Any non-ditto cross-species breeding will always default to the female's ball. An easy way to remember is that it follows the same rules as species inheritance.

Caveat: Cherish Balls and Master Balls cannot be inherited ever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

If I had a choice for an inherited pokeball I'd go with a Luxury ball! Always a good idea to have a pokemon who's super friendly right out of the egg.

Too bad the catch rate with Luxury balls is garbage :(

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Holy balls, I hatched a shiny Mareanie. Before collecting the Shiny charm, no less, which is the part that really shocked me.

I mean... it's the wrong nature, ability & poor IVs. Buuuuuuut it's got bitchin' rad paint job, and really, isn't that the most important thing of all? I named her Cinnamon. :3:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Am I weird for wanting everyone in regular-rear end pokeballs?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Davoren posted:

Am I weird for wanting everyone in regular-rear end pokeballs?

No, just soulless.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The only two correct ball schemes are (1) matching and (2) everyone in Luxury Balls.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If anything, I'm weirder for preferring the random variety of Pokeballs in my box. It's like a record of your journey. Probably the only game where I prefer a random distribution to order and patterns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anybody got some breeding rejects they'd like a 3/4 IV Mimikyu for?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Zoran posted:

The only two correct ball schemes are (1) matching and (2) everyone in Luxury Balls.

All Premier should be on this list.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tomie knows me posted:

I've wasted toooooo many hours buying 10 pokeballs at a time and selling them back, just to get Premier balls.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tomie knows me posted:

This. Premier Balls and Luxury Balls are the classiest balls. When in doubt, go with one of those.

jivjov posted:

I've wasted toooooo many hours buying 10 pokeballs at a time and selling them back, just to get Premier balls.

Amen, brother. :hfive: I miss being able to straight up buy them in X and Y. That was nice.

Parrotine posted:

If I had a choice for an inherited pokeball I'd go with a Luxury ball! Always a good idea to have a pokemon who's super friendly right out of the egg.

Too bad the catch rate with Luxury balls is garbage :(

Does this work for Friend Balls as well?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Silver Falcon posted:

This. Premier Balls and Luxury Balls are the classiest balls. When in doubt, go with one of those.

Amen, brother. :hfive: I miss being able to straight up buy them in X and Y. That was nice.

Does this work for Friend Balls as well?

It only works for Friend Balls. Luxury Balls don't make the Pokemon friendly, they instead make happiness easier to accumulate, like they're holding a Soothe Bell all the time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

Even still, Bulldoze is called Smooth Over in Japan, how is that a seismic move (in either language)?

"The user stomps down on the ground and attacks everything in the area. Hit Pokémon's Speed stat is reduced."

it sends out a shockwave through the ground

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If you hatch an egg with a friend ball, does it automatically gain 200 friendship as if it were caught with the ball?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
POKEBANK WEN?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I am just... so bad at telling people no. And telling people to gently caress off when they request link trades and then just show me their legendaries and then don't seem to understand when I show them my nicknamed team that I'm not at the point where I can give them something good for their Whatever that they're not interested in trading anyway. Except these HA vulpix with outstanding potential and egg moves (thank you again, Happiness). Seriously, look at the vulpix, dudes. Check it. It's a good pokemon ok.

I just traded my fell-off-a-truck ditto for a pooh-pooh dratini. And I let go of my soothe bell because I forgot to take it off my clefable when I evolved it and someone seemed so excited about it and I couldn't say "hey wait a minute lemme take this soothe bell off" so I just. gave my soothe bell away. :sigh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

E-flat posted:

I am just... so bad at telling people no. And telling people to gently caress off when they request link trades and then just show me their legendaries and then don't seem to understand when I show them my nicknamed team that I'm not at the point where I can give them something good for their Whatever that they're not interested in trading anyway. Except these HA vulpix with outstanding potential and egg moves (thank you again, Happiness). Seriously, look at the vulpix, dudes. Check it. It's a good pokemon ok.

I just traded my fell-off-a-truck ditto for a pooh-pooh dratini. And I let go of my soothe bell because I forgot to take it off my clefable when I evolved it and someone seemed so excited about it and I couldn't say "hey wait a minute lemme take this soothe bell off" so I just. gave my soothe bell away. :sigh:

Oh jeez. A couple of things can help. You can turn off accepting trades from randos, for one. For another, pop into the Discord room. One of us green-name folks can give you another Soothe Bell, and a replacement "fell off the truck" Ditto if you need another one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I wish people would randomly trade with me. I need an excuse to give away all these cutiefly.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys and gals looking for the shiny charm, do you need any specific non-legendary pokes?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

extra row of teeth posted:

Are there any "doubles for dummies" style guides for people who are experienced at competitive but new to doubles? I want to try doubles this gen because between no official singles tournaments and all the blatantly double Pokémon/move additions, GF is clearly giving singles the finger.

Nuggetbridge is basically the smogon equivalent for double battles. Some of the basics include putting protect or other guard moves on everything and finding synergies like Tapu Koko + Raichu or Telepathy + Earthquake.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

extra row of teeth posted:

I really wish they would double down on this and make the story mostly doubles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tomie knows me posted:

I really wish they would double down on this and make the story mostly doubles.

They won't because singles is still the actually good format. The reason they've put so much double focus this gen is to try and make doubles less poo poo in general and while a lot of the new gimmick pokemon could be cool they hosed it up in their usual GF way and it's gonna be the Tapu TR show for VGC for the foreseeable future.

Also did they confirm that there'd be no single competitive tournaments/events at all? Or have they just not had one yet?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They won't because singles is still the actually good format. The reason they've put so much double focus this gen is to try and make doubles less poo poo in general and while a lot of the new gimmick pokemon could be cool they hosed it up in their usual GF way and it's gonna be the Tapu TR show for VGC for the foreseeable future.

Also did they confirm that there'd be no single competitive tournaments/events at all? Or have they just not had one yet?

Competitive Singles is garbage

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ohhh I thought you could make sure 5/6 IVs are from a single parent, my japanese ditto is pretty bad. Close enough though

If you have a reject during the process I'd love a Male Adamant Dratini in a beast ball.

FC: 0576-4384-4198

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 5, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Competitive Singles is garbage

Agreed, Garbodor and Singles FTW.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They won't because singles is still the actually good format.

I almost feel like doubles would be better for the main story portion of the game, because on a lot of pokemon you at least get mildly interesting doubles moves early, which you can't really say for singles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Tomie knows me posted:

I almost feel like doubles would be better for the main story portion of the game, because on a lot of pokemon you at least get mildly interesting doubles moves early, which you can't really say for singles.

I was thinking this same thing, double battles are much more interesting in any case.