Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

An icon keeps briefly appearing randomly and disappearing so fast that I can't even respond fast enough to pause the game. It has a red background, with a blue and a red flag, with an exclamation mark in between them. What does it mean?

Alliance is breaking. I've noticed it riding the edge like that sometimes. Check your allies and maybe territory you both want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Node posted:

An icon keeps briefly appearing randomly and disappearing so fast that I can't even respond fast enough to pause the game. It has a red background, with a blue and a red flag, with an exclamation mark in between them. What does it mean?

I forget if this is exactly the right icon, but I think it's about right for the "alliance will break soon" warning, which I have definitely seen spaz out as the AI struggles to make up its mind whether it's worth hating me forever over one 3 development province.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbqv3MwwVd8

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

I forget if this is exactly the right icon, but I think it's about right for the "alliance will break soon" warning, which I have definitely seen spaz out as the AI struggles to make up its mind whether it's worth hating me forever over one 3 development province.

Ah, thank you both. That would be the Pope, because I broke the Treaty of Tordesillas while not paying attention a few times.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

This seems like good advice, but now that Development is a thing, it's less of a thing I think. Unless you're going to be colonizing, the Diplo idea groups are just so much less helpful than Admin and Military ones early on, and there's always a use for a surplus of diplomatic points.

Yeah I don't actually take many diplo ideas anymore at this point, I'd rather push that into production development. Sure Influence and Diplomatic are both good picks and you want one of them each game, other than that you shouldn't really pick up any of them anymore. You're gonna have better progress if you pick an other Military or Admin group, depending on which of the two your monarch is stronger in.

Trade: get Economic or Administrative instead for your local bonuses to your economy. Make sure to force everyone you beat to transfer you their trade power.
Maritime: get Quality instead
Espionage: Admin or Aristocracy depends on why you'd even consider this (I used it in 3 games now and they are not worth it)

The problems with these are many fold, Trade is poo poo because of caravan power and the fixed network, Maritime is boats and only boats, Espionage doesn't really do a lot other than being annoying when the AI picks it up.
The only easy fix I see is making base claims more expensive and increasing the coring cost reduction back to 25%.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've always considered Trade to be situationally useful, especially so if you are a small to mid-level power focused on trade, e.g. Lubeck, Pegu, etc. You're not gonna see that much benefits from increasing local production or tax income, but you can become filthy rich by dominating trade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah I don't actually take many diplo ideas anymore at this point, I'd rather push that into production development. Sure Influence and Diplomatic are both good picks and you want one of them each game, other than that you shouldn't really pick up any of them anymore. You're gonna have better progress if you pick an other Military or Admin group, depending on which of the two your monarch is stronger in.

Trade: get Economic or Administrative instead for your local bonuses to your economy. Make sure to force everyone you beat to transfer you their trade power.
Maritime: get Quality instead

In the same vein as Administrative, Humanism is also a decent economic pick since you get +2 accepted cultures, which I think a lot of people forget to think about despite the penalties for other-culture provinces being so large. You don't normally have a 33% penalty on taxes and manpower staring at you in the face so it's easy to overlook. This also isn't a great pick until you have a large number of provinces with unaccepted cultures (very large empires)

Obviously Economic is supreme when it comes to boosting your income but I like the economic benefits of the other Admin techs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I take diplomatic ideas because my military points are going into tech and admin points into coring and stability. Am I playing wrong? My first idea set is either Exploration or Influence or maybe Diplomatic, I don't see myself diverging from that

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I take diplomatic ideas because my military points are going into tech and admin points into coring and stability. Am I playing wrong? My first idea set is either Exploration or Influence or maybe Diplomatic, I don't see myself diverging from that

Sounds like you're playing just fine. That's how I usually go. I do that and pump up provinces for institutions. Just never taking Diplo ideas seems kind of extreme.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Sounds like you're playing just fine. That's how I usually go. I do that and pump up provinces for institutions. Just never taking Diplo ideas seems kind of extreme.

It is dumb because Maritime is the best idea for boats and not liking boats make you a bad person.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My second try at the Papal States was going pretty well before spiraling completely out of control, which happened fast

Italy had already dropped out of the HRE, so I was taking land to the north, and already had a good chunk of Italy, plus Provence, Bosnia has a vassal and some colonies in Brazil. I got Trade first, then Admin,then Exploration. I had a nice income, good trade in the Mediterranean, biggest army in Italy, second biggest navy, good tech, everything going nice

But then I think I expanded too fast, I had a lot of unnaccpted cultures, unrest everywhere, and independency movements growing.

And then the reformation bites me in the rear end. Its been a while sionce Ive played this game much (since Art of war, I guess) and I dont remember the reformation working like that. Its loving brutal. A "reformation center" pops in Parma and starts coverting all my provinces. And By the time Ive managed to conquer it from Switzerland and convert it, it had already reformed all my provinces but 1 and my capital. And while it was pretty fast to convert those provinces, to convert then back takes forever, since they get that "zealous" (or something) trait which makes impossible to even try to convert then for decades

Anyway, I start getting rebellions everywhere, I burn my cash and my military points and my manpower trying to control them, I get poor and weak on this effort, and then Savoy declares war on me for Provence , along with France and Venice, and I am obliterated (my biggest allies, Castille and Austria, bailed on me). I lost all Provence provinces, my whole army, my whole navy, and Im left with +10 loans, a broken economy, and most of my country is still reformed and hates me. Welp

I gonna try it again, perhaps I need to choose my ideas better

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

My second try at the Papal States was going pretty well before spiraling completely out of control, which happened fast

Italy had already dropped out of the HRE, so I was taking land to the north, and already had a good chunk of Italy, plus Provence, Bosnia has a vassal and some colonies in Brazil. I got Trade first, then Admin,then Exploration. I had a nice income, good trade in the Mediterranean, biggest army in Italy, second biggest navy, good tech, everything going nice

But then I think I expanded too fast, I had a lot of unnaccpted cultures, unrest everywhere, and independency movements growing.

And then the reformation bites me in the rear end. Its been a while sionce Ive played this game much (since Art of war, I guess) and I dont remember the reformation working like that. Its loving brutal. A "reformation center" pops in Parma and starts coverting all my provinces. And By the time Ive managed to conquer it from Switzerland and convert it, it had already reformed all my provinces but 1 and my capital. And while it was pretty fast to convert those provinces, to convert then back takes forever, since they get that "zealous" (or something) trait which makes impossible to even try to convert then for decades

Anyway, I start getting rebellions everywhere, I burn my cash and my military points and my manpower trying to control them, I get poor and weak on this effort, and then Savoy declares war on me for Provence , along with France and Venice, and I am obliterated (my biggest allies, Castille and Austria, bailed on me). I lost all Provence provinces, my whole army, my whole navy, and Im left with +10 loans, a broken economy, and most of my country is still reformed and hates me. Welp

EU4.txt

Sounds fun. Where are your military ideas?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tsyni posted:

EU4.txt

Sounds fun. Where are your military ideas?

It was going to be my next one

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is easily recoverable; keep going. A little adversity is a good thing unless you're going for certain achievements with tight requirements, and when you kick in Savoy's teeth in a few decades it'll feel really good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Senor Dog posted:

This is easily recoverable; keep going. A little adversity is a good thing unless you're going for certain achievements with tight requirements, and when you kick in Savoy's teeth in a few decades it'll feel really good.

I was thinking of restarting. I not going for achievements or anything, but just to think of all the decades Im going to spend just getting my economy back in shape (and losing all Provence hurted my income a lot), rebuilding my army and navy, and converting all back (I still have to wait a lot of decades to even begin with that), that's gonna be some boring work

But yeah, perhaps I should keep going. Any tips on what idea should I get next? I have Trade, Admin and Exploration, so it have to be either military or admin. I was going with something military, but perhaps it would be better to choose something that would help me be more stable, like Humanism?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 5, 2017

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Why appease these troublemakers when you can drown them in men? (Go with quantity.)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Do vassals/lesser partners count for colonial range or is it from only your provinces?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Allyn posted:

...uh, yeah? I was adding to a conversation about, specifically, auto-giving gold provinces to the burghers. But that wouldn't be the case if that bug was squashed, and is in fact uneqiuvocally worse than any other trade good province or estate choice because of it right now.

Ah, sorry! Didn't see the context.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm having a good Poland run, but I'm thinking of going for Mare Nostrum. It's 1720, but I still need half of Italy + islands, most of France and the whole of Iberia.

Can I still make it?

Ideas are Admin, Diplo, Influence, Defensive, Aristocratic, Quality (thinking of doing Maritime to get Traditional Player, and Offensive for siege speed to cap it off).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tsyni posted:

Religious is golden for Muscovy. You're surrounded by heathens and you get missions for Novgorod. Opening with 2/3 admin ideas is probably not super optimal. I pretty much never take an admin idea first. So...it's hard to say, but taking religious at some point is going to make things a lot easier for you. Definitely take a diplo next though, you'll be drowning in diplo points otherwise. Influence or Diplomatic would be good. Could try and jump off Norway and go for Exploration, if you're feeling adventurous.

Jay Rust posted:

You probably want a diplomatic idea set. For future reference, it's generally advised to pick diplomatic ideas first, since diplo points are probably the least important of the three and you can't afford to be behind on military tech.

But yeah, Influence is great for the aggressive expansion reduction

Thanks for the suggestions, Religious seems really good with the instant cb and the huge amount of sunni land to be converted to the glorious orthodox faith, but I'm feeling super starved on admin and military points at the moment, so a diplo idea seems a good idea, especially influence, now that me and my buddies ,the Ottos and Denmark, have broken Poland-Lithuania and weakened the emperor. I need to keep an eye on all the aggressive expansion I'v been racking up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OperaMouse posted:

I'm having a good Poland run, but I'm thinking of going for Mare Nostrum. It's 1720, but I still need half of Italy + islands, most of France and the whole of Iberia.

Can I still make it?

Ideas are Admin, Diplo, Influence, Defensive, Aristocratic, Quality (thinking of doing Maritime to get Traditional Player, and Offensive for siege speed to cap it off).

It'll be tough, but you can probably do it by truce breaking like a maniac.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've forgotten a few quality of life improvements since I played last. How do you tell how much warscore a country is worth? I knew there was a way to see how much warscore you need to vassalize someone in one war.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you hover over the provinces war score cost (under military, the icon with the star) it will tell you how the total war score cost for all provinces.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tendronai posted:

If you hover over the provinces war score cost (under military, the icon with the star) it will tell you how the total war score cost for all provinces.

There it is. Thanks.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Speaking of Mare Nostrum, I've got a really good start in my Aragon game (France allied, Navarra vassalized, reconquista complete, Iberian wedding 15 years in and Renaissance embraced before any other great power) and I'm thinking of trying to parlay that into restoring the Roman Empire. For strategy, how does annexing Portugal to let Castile colonise the new world while I take religious ideas and holy war across North Africa as quickly as possible to reach the Ottomans before they get too beefy then some military idea to put them down, before conquering Italy and then backstabbing France sound?

What ideas would I need to make it work? Religious -> Quality -> Influence -> Admin -> Exploration is my current plan. I don't intend to form Spain too early because my primary goal is getting Consulate of the Sea so I think it's okay to leave exploration until later on and letting Castile get on with colonizing South America. I think England would be the only real danger to me there and I'm gonna have to face them sooner or later anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So how do you deal with Institutions? I understand the basics, but I don't know the best way to go about embracing them. I'm Spain, and even when I had the birthplace of Global Trade, pretty much the entirety of Europe, Anatolia, Tunis, and parts of India embraced it before I could. If I wanted to embrace Manufactories right now, I'd cost me 3,000 gold. My tech penalty is -25%. I feel like I'm missing something that would make this process faster and cheaper. Or maybe the AI is just cheating, hard.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can take out loans to cover the cost or dump points into development to get a few extra provinces to embrace.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Speaking of Mare Nostrum, I've got a really good start in my Aragon game (France allied, Navarra vassalized, reconquista complete, Iberian wedding 15 years in and Renaissance embraced before any other great power) and I'm thinking of trying to parlay that into restoring the Roman Empire. For strategy, how does annexing Portugal to let Castile colonise the new world while I take religious ideas and holy war across North Africa as quickly as possible to reach the Ottomans before they get too beefy then some military idea to put them down, before conquering Italy and then backstabbing France sound?

What ideas would I need to make it work? Religious -> Quality -> Influence -> Admin -> Exploration is my current plan. I don't intend to form Spain too early because my primary goal is getting Consulate of the Sea so I think it's okay to leave exploration until later on and letting Castile get on with colonizing South America. I think England would be the only real danger to me there and I'm gonna have to face them sooner or later anyway.

That should be fine, though I'd honestly skip Exploration all together, it's not really worth it, and the points would be better spent on Diplomatic ideas to support truce breaking later. I'd also be tempted to replace Quality with Defensive; the ship bonuses are nice, but you get that huge Galley bonus from your national traditions anyway. You'll be swimming in military points this way too, I suspect you'd want to get another military idea line in there, maybe 4th or 5th. Delaying Admin will suck though.

Node posted:

So how do you deal with Institutions? I understand the basics, but I don't know the best way to go about embracing them. I'm Spain, and even when I had the birthplace of Global Trade, pretty much the entirety of Europe, Anatolia, Tunis, and parts of India embraced it before I could. If I wanted to embrace Manufactories right now, I'd cost me 3,000 gold. My tech penalty is -25%. I feel like I'm missing something that would make this process faster and cheaper. Or maybe the AI is just cheating, hard.

The AI stockpiles gold really well, and will take loans to embrace them I'm pretty sure, which is not a bad idea. Always keep your eye on the ledger for people with large treasuries, and be aggressive about relieving them of said wealth. Don't be afraid to wait a few years for Institutions to spread naturally, especially because you can usually delay buying techs anyway with no real downsides. For Manufactories and Enlightenment you ideally want to plan ahead to spread them, by building Manufactories and then Universities all over the place.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

Global trade for example can spawn out of marketplaces (or at least the upgrade to marketplaces) and the AI fuckin loves to build things. When Manufactories comes around I see it usually is embraced in China first because if Ming explodes all of the rich minors build them in half of their provinces.

Generally you want to get a lot of money before these institutions fire and build up a few years beforehand. ex. Build trade stuff, then manufactories, then universities for the enlightenment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I have a question before I start declaring wars. Let's assume for a moment that I want to keep peaceful relations with my (allied) neighbor, want his help in a war, but there's no territory in that war that he's interested in. But one of the war targets allies does have territory my ally wants. Can I declare war setting one of the allied country's provinces as the wargoal which will drag in the country with the province I actually want, pay 2x warscore for my province, then give the wargoal to my neighbor? Or do I have to take the wargoal for myself as part of the settlement? And if so, is there a way to just gift a province to another nation?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Azhais posted:

So I have a question before I start declaring wars. Let's assume for a moment that I want to keep peaceful relations with my (allied) neighbor, want his help in a war, but there's no territory in that war that he's interested in. But one of the war targets allies does have territory my ally wants. Can I declare war setting one of the allied country's provinces as the wargoal which will drag in the country with the province I actually want, pay 2x warscore for my province, then give the wargoal to my neighbor? Or do I have to take the wargoal for myself as part of the settlement? And if so, is there a way to just gift a province to another nation?

does setting the other one as co-belligerent help at all? that would be the first thing i try

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I've been playing this game a long time, and I'm starting to get really bored; however, I just cannot seem to get into any non-European/Ottoman nation run. Someone convince me that playing non-European countries is fun and that I am missing out. Maybe it will make me actually stick to an non-European start for longer than 30 minutes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Japan, India, and Malaysia are all cool and good places to start. Just pick a goal (typically an achievement of some sort) and get to it. I recommend Foremost Servitor of Jagganath, it'll keep you busy.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bengal Tiger is a shorter one that I liked doing a lot. You're setup nicely do some a couple others too if you'd like.

India's a good area to play in. It has a good mix of big and small countries like Europe, colonization close by if you want that, trade nodes to conquer, and no goddamn emperor. I do wish they'd add some more provs to India though. It's roughly the size of West+Central Europe but with way fewer provinces.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any good reasons to do a north/south america start other than to enjoy being killed by england?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Azhais posted:

Are there any good reasons to do a north/south america start other than to enjoy being killed by england?

The challenge, of course! It can be done...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Azhais posted:

killing england as aztec

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I'm 25 years into a Kilwa run, my first African effort, and it's been fun so far. The challenge of sub-Saharan Africa combined with the advantage of being a strong local power (e.g. all that delicious trade) offers a lot of goals to work toward and the hope that I can actually achieve them. Even upgrading to Feudalism and a proper monarchy will feel like an achievement.

At the very least, I get to stare at a part of the map other than Europe.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Azhais posted:

I had a really enjoyable ironman Inca run on the previous patch. You can paint both Americas even if you are a scrub like me, and if you are actually good you can start punching back at the colonizing powers. I don't know if institution spread changes things, westernizing off colonial nations wasn't all that bad and you could do it very early in South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there an easy way to look at foreign debt? Since I'm getting treasure fleets every other day, I figure I could get an easy achievement and take someones 1000+ gold debt for them. But I don't see any way you can find that information in the ledger.

• Locked thread