Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Pirate Captain posted:

Haha, I'll take a picture at some point. I'm really bad at cable management though so it mostly looks like wires :p

MY inside looks mostly like wires and I have a single 1070. I can't even imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally watched that Mass Effect CES footage - meh. Definitely looks like a game that was supposed to come out years ago.

It looks especially underwhelming considering I finally finished CoD IW single player tonight, which is weighed down by being CoD, but absolutely spectacular visually on Pro/4K. Definitely one of the top performers. The asteroid level (Vesta 3) with the nearby sun was ridiculous.

Link for anyone else who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRStRzbBD_g&t=7s

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WTF is up with Bound? That was a hell of a thing. Not a game, every bit a walking simulator with occasional extra button presses. I was expecting a lot more than what it turned out to be.

Gonna try out the VR stuff, but I don't have high hopes, if I'm honest. I'm normally a huge fan of Santa Monica, but this thing was a mess of style over substance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I know Bethesda has an utter distaste for their audience and I knew that going in when I bought it, but Skyrim: Special Edition literally has the same, game-breaking bugs that were in the very first release of the game, and it's DLC.

Bethesda are hacks. Don't buy their games.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Finally watched that Mass Effect CES footage - meh. Definitely looks like a game that was supposed to come out years ago.

Link for anyone else who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRStRzbBD_g&t=7s

It looks like you get to switch classes on the fly instead of picking just 1.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
The Witcher 3 for me represents everything Bioware & Bethesda wish they could do with their action-rpgs. It's great!

Also, coming from The Witcher 2 on X360 - it's one of those rare sequels that really feels like a generational leap - vastly improved in every aspect and not just graphics.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

What the hell rig are you using to run PC games at 4k? SLI 1080s? A Titan X?

You really just need a single 1080 or 1070 even for 4K gaming on PC. It's expensive but accessible hardware (that isn't the Titan) to make it possible is readily available now and in a few years this will be the standard for PC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fix posted:

WTF is up with Bound? That was a hell of a thing. Not a game, every bit a walking simulator with occasional extra button presses. I was expecting a lot more than what it turned out to be.

Gonna try out the VR stuff, but I don't have high hopes, if I'm honest. I'm normally a huge fan of Santa Monica, but this thing was a mess of style over substance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AllisonByProxy posted:

It looks like you get to switch classes on the fly instead of picking just 1.
After a long time of only playing ME3 multiplayer and then trying to play the single player again I was like what the hell, you can't just be any class you want any time you want? What's even the point?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fix posted:

Bound isn't a walking simulator, it's a braindead simple platformer. Beyond that, Bound is an art game that's mostly about striking visuals and trying to tell a story through them. Aside from the visuals, it's not great.

E: I still don't know why Bound has a speedrun mode. It's not that kind of game.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean people speedrun Gone Home and I watched someone speedrun Sim City SNES on YouTube last night.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

You really just need a single 1080 or 1070 even for 4K gaming on PC. It's expensive but accessible hardware (that isn't the Titan) to make it possible is readily available now and in a few years this will be the standard for PC.

Eh, I have a 1070 and disagree. Even running a 1440p monitor means on some games I have to turn down some settings for performance. It would be a bit or miss experience for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fix posted:

On a similar note I finished Abzu in one sitting and was a little disappointed. It was very pretty and I enjoyed it enough, but it just didn't stick like Journey did for me. It had a few really cool "wow" moments and a few great set pieces but most of the time I kind of felt like I was playing a screen saver.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hah funny to read that, i finished both abzu and journey on new years day and while i enjoyed both of them i far preffered abzu mostly to the freedom of movement it allowed with the underwater setting.

Man i wish i had experienced Journey before everyone knew about it though. I had a good time with it but i think my expectations were way over inflated. The way people talk about it you'd think it was some massive revolution in game design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I'm sure my experience with Journey was heavily influenced by playing it when it came out, and games like that being pretty much non existent at the time. I'm not sure if Abzu was released when Journey was and vise versa I would feel the same way.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I just hope they don't mess up the multiplayer in the new Mass Effect, that was definitely my favorite part about ME3.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

every game is a walking simulator and if its not its a spreadsheet game. thats just the facts, jack

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Makes sense, i went into Abzu totally blind based on a recommendation from Giant Bomb.

Where the theory falls apart is me playing Bloobdorne on this threads recommendation because that game is pure :cheers:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Fix posted:

I'm normally a huge fan of Santa Monica, but this thing was a mess of style over substance.

SMS didn't actually develop the game, they just gave the devs a place to work, similar to Giant Sparrow with The Unfinished Swan. It was made by Plastic, the demoscene guys that made the Linger in Shadows tech demo on PS3, so if you played that, you'll probably understand why it was more about the visuals than the gameplay. Not excusing it, just framing the approach from these guys in some context. This is pretty much what they do: cool visual showpieces - this one just happens to be more interactive than their older stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean people speedrun Gone Home and I watched someone speedrun Sim City SNES on YouTube last night.

There's even a trophy for it. I tried to get it a couple times, failed, then deleted the game.

It was worth the money I spent for it that PS+ month. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SamBishop posted:

SMS didn't actually develop the game, they just gave the devs a place to work, similar to Giant Sparrow with The Unfinished Swan. It was made by Plastic, the demoscene guys that made the Linger in Shadows tech demo on PS3, so if you played that, you'll probably understand why it was more about the visuals than the gameplay. Not excusing it, just framing the approach from these guys in some context. This is pretty much what they do: cool visual showpieces - this one just happens to be more interactive than their older stuff.

How about Here They Lie? I bought that last week on sale and it's a huge POS branded with SMS.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

KrayG posted:

Hah funny to read that, i finished both abzu and journey on new years day and while i enjoyed both of them i far preffered abzu mostly to the freedom of movement it allowed with the underwater setting.

Man i wish i had experienced Journey before everyone knew about it though. I had a good time with it but i think my expectations were way over inflated. The way people talk about it you'd think it was some massive revolution in game design.

I can see where you're coming from, but even having low expectations for Abzû I was disappointed with it. Took me 3 sitting to play through it. (!) It just kept paying homage to Journey and Flower without actually capturing much of their substance. The ending sequence especially is pretty much 100% lifted from the final stage of Flower, I don't know if you played that ?

Now that I think about it 100% of my PSN friend list is people I've met through Journey. I don't know if that says more about the game or myself.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The worst thing about Mass Effect 3 was that you had Paragon and Renegade props for the dumbest poo poo ever. I remember one scene in particular you had a paragon prompt to shake hands with a returning character from a previous game. So basically if you don't hit that prompt you just stare them down like a weird idiot. Other than that it was pretty decent and the multiplayer is awesome. I also liked Dragon Age Inquisition and every Bethesda game and will probably like Mass Effect Andromeda because I'm very easy to please.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Now that I think about it 100% of my PSN friend list is people I've met through Journey. I don't know if that says more about the game or myself.

Lol if your friends aren't all from Dark Souls.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I am upgrading my HDD on my PS4 and don't want to lose my save data. I am a PS+ subscriber so all of the saves on my personal profile/user are already backed up to the cloud. What I am wondering is, do I need to manually save each set of saves for the other two profiles on the PS4 (my childrens') to a USB one at a time? Or is it the case that their save data is included in my own in the cloud? Its a bit confusing this.

If it makes any difference, one of those 2 child profiles seems to have full PS+ access but the other doesn't for some reason.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

King of Solomon posted:

Bound isn't a walking simulator, it's a braindead simple platformer. Beyond that, Bound is an art game that's mostly about striking visuals and trying to tell a story through them. Aside from the visuals, it's not great.

E: I still don't know why Bound has a speedrun mode. It's not that kind of game.

I might be more inclined to think of it as a platformer if there were any consequences at all to missing your jumps.

SamBishop posted:

Ah. Thanks for the info.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

After a long time of only playing ME3 multiplayer and then trying to play the single player again I was like what the hell, you can't just be any class you want any time you want? What's even the point?
Well, you can this time around and change on the fly too during gameplay.

katkillad2 posted:

I just hope they don't mess up the multiplayer in the new Mass Effect, that was definitely my favorite part about ME3.
They've released a bit of MP footage, now you can jumppack into CHARGE. If you have the ability to mix and match abilities for your MP character I will be really happy.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Can you not pre-order the new Hatsune Miku title on PSN yet?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

kaesarsosei posted:

I am upgrading my HDD on my PS4 and don't want to lose my save data. I am a PS+ subscriber so all of the saves on my personal profile/user are already backed up to the cloud. What I am wondering is, do I need to manually save each set of saves for the other two profiles on the PS4 (my childrens') to a USB one at a time? Or is it the case that their save data is included in my own in the cloud? Its a bit confusing this.

If it makes any difference, one of those 2 child profiles seems to have full PS+ access but the other doesn't for some reason.

You can check what is on the cloud and what isn't via the settings menu.

My assumption is that your children's accounts are not included. You should also make sure that all of your stuff is really up there because Sony's cloud save system is complete garbage.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fix posted:

I might be more inclined to think of it as a platformer if there were any consequences at all to missing your jumps.

It is definitely a deliberately very easy game where mistakes don't have meaningful consequences most of the time, but that just means it's a really easy platformer. A casual platformer, if you prefer.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morby posted:

Can you not pre-order the new Hatsune Miku title on PSN yet?

I don't think they're doing pre orders because Sega.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well, you can this time around and change on the fly too during gameplay.

They've released a bit of MP footage, now you can jumppack into CHARGE. If you have the ability to mix and match abilities for your MP character I will be really happy.

Yeah I think it was in GI they said they didn't like how ME3's MP was so much different and better mechanically than the SP and wanted to make a point to fix that.

I saw someone a few pages ago say infamous first light was better than second son. Why is that and is second son still worth picking up if I have first light?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
There is a lot more to do in Second Son, so still worth it. Neon was one of the most fun powers in the game, and Fetch has an even more entertaining version of that in first light. So that is why many people say First Light is more fun.

Second Son also includes more of fake Seattle than First light so you have more to explore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Infamous is such a love it or hate it thing. I thought Second Son was one of the most boring open world games I've played. A buddy of mine thinks it's the best one ever made.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Twibbit posted:

There is a lot more to do in Second Son, so still worth it. Neon was one of the most fun powers in the game, and Fetch has an even more entertaining version of that in first light. So that is why many people say First Light is more fun.

Second Son also includes more of fake Seattle than First light so you have more to explore.

I managed to get the plat on Second Son and I still will come back to it from time to time because I love that particular move set so much. Neon and Video powers just feel good to me. Also I find Delsin super charming.

Mr E posted:

I don't think they're doing pre orders because Sega.

Dammit, Sega! Let me give you my money!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you're the type of person posting in a PlayStation 4 thread, there's no need to pay extra for Smart TV stuff, also there's no reason to proactively avoid it if all other things are equal. I have no idea how a 5-page discussion was wrangled out of that but hey, goons.

I just bought a PS4 camera with some gift-exchange store credit. It's kinda cool. My favorite thing about it is how it functions as a chat mic, untethered from the controller. This allows me to plug my expensive "real" headphones directly into the home theater receiver, and get full chat headset functionality. I had previously tried plugging a splitter into the controller and using the headphones with a separate mic - it was functional, but left a lot to be desired (using the system menu to change volume was a pain; brief but relatively frequent audio glitches; really low max volume; compromised quality overall with everything being funneled through Bluetooth). Just thought I'd share since I see the "how can I use __ headset" question here every so often.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Minidust posted:

If you're the type of person posting in a PlayStation 4 thread, there's no need to pay extra for Smart TV stuff, also there's no reason to proactively avoid it if all other things are equal. I have no idea how a 5-page discussion was wrangled out of that but hey, goons.

Because this hasn't been true for years and this thread is filled with special snowflakes and/or time travellers.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 5, 2017

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DrNutt posted:

Because this hasn't been true for years and this thread is filled with special snowflakes and/or time travellers.
I bought a bedroom TV just two months ago and lovely HH Gregg wanted $50 more for the smart TV than the dumb one.

However they don't keep the dumb ones in stock so they gave me the smart one for the dumb price.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

CrashCat posted:

I bought a bedroom TV just two months ago and lovely HH Gregg wanted $50 more for the smart TV than the dumb one.

However they don't keep the dumb ones in stock so they gave me the smart one for the dumb price.

I think people were more talking about serious living room TVs not cheap bedroom sets but hopefully they will clarify this over the next five pages or so & we can finally get to the bottom of this!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Which video projector should i get for my ps4, guys?

• Locked thread