Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I never said it was a good argument.

fake edit: I thought he only missed like 10 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
George Hill is on my fantasy team, I feel every game he misses like a stab in the heart so I keep pretty good count of em.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The jazz have some horrible curse at the PG spot. George Hill keeps dying, and they tried the no PG look with Burks/Hood/Hayward and Burks hasn't played once this season

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Whiteside is like the most consistently poo poo on player on this entire discussion thread.

Whiteside was by far the best shot blocker in the NBA last year, and was top 7 in every advanced statistical category for defense. He was by far the best player on last year's Heat team and easily one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Totally objectively earned his DPOY position.

Everyone is constantly on that guy with bullshit arguments for what reason I will never really be able to figure out. I don't even like him or the Heat in the slightest, but the arguments in here about him are just off the rails.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's kinda like a rubber band-ey argument where he was bad at defense when he first started exploding so people kept bringing it up as counter to people being excited about him, and then he got better but people still whine about it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

There's no way Portland would trade Lillard, right?

I suggested last week that they should try to move Lillard for Cousins. It'll never happen though, Lillard is one of the more marketable young guys in the league.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

attackmole posted:

It's kinda like a rubber band-ey argument where he was bad at defense when he first started exploding so people kept bringing it up as counter to people being excited about him, and then he got better but people still whine about it.

Speaking about this, Pels fan/blogger Kumar told me that AD is the best PnR defender this year. I remember him being so terrible at it, so I went and looked it up and, yup, he's holding opposing roll-men to the lowest ppp in the league (minimum 30 possessions on the season):

http://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/#!?sort=PPP&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&OD=defensive&CF=Poss*GE*30

AD might have finally moved into the category of an honest-to-goodness good defender this season, guys.

Also, E'Twaun Moore has been an absolute beast defensively.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Papercut posted:

I suggested last week that they should try to move Lillard for Cousins. It'll never happen though, Lillard is one of the more marketable young guys in the league.

It'll never happen but it's because Boogie is way better at basketball

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

how'd I do?

Just to be clear on what I'm seeing here... Dame goes over the screen, then switches anyway??

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fast Luck posted:

Just to be clear on what I'm seeing here... Dame goes over the screen, then switches anyway??

Dame goes over the screen, then switches. McCollum does react to the switch but gets completely lost trying to get around Asik and appears to need to consult a map. I don't know exactly if Plumlee did anything wrong but he certainly looks dumb doing it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Libertine posted:

Whiteside is like the most consistently poo poo on player on this entire discussion thread.

Whiteside was by far the best shot blocker in the NBA last year, and was top 7 in every advanced statistical category for defense. He was by far the best player on last year's Heat team and easily one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Totally objectively earned his DPOY position.

Everyone is constantly on that guy with bullshit arguments for what reason I will never really be able to figure out. I don't even like him or the Heat in the slightest, but the arguments in here about him are just off the rails.

The Heat, a well coached-team, decided Amare Stoudamire's corpse was more useful to give playing time to than Whiteside in December.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Time posted:

It'll never happen but it's because Boogie is way better at basketball

Obviously he is. That's why the important word in my post is "try". The argument you make to Sacramento is that Dame is a million times more marketable than Cousins, plus he's locked up, so he could make sense from a business perspective.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A crisp awl is a woodworker's friend

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

Speaking about this, Pels fan/blogger Kumar told me that AD is the best PnR defender this year. I remember him being so terrible at it, so I went and looked it up and, yup, he's holding opposing roll-men to the lowest ppp in the league (minimum 30 possessions on the season):

http://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/#!?sort=PPP&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&OD=defensive&CF=Poss*GE*30

AD might have finally moved into the category of an honest-to-goodness good defender this season, guys.

That number doesn't tell you how well he defended the pick and roll, it tells you how well he defended the pick and roll when the screener got the ball and made a scoring attempt, which is like 10% of all pick and rolls.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

attackmole posted:

George Hill is on my fantasy team, I feel every game he misses like a stab in the heart so I keep pretty good count of em.

Same and it's driving me nuts!!

I voted for Gobert B)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/817116611798855682

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Hopping onto a conversation from a few pages back, but I do think you could add a little more parity to the NBA if you wanted to, buy increasing/eliminating the max salary. The best players in the league are always going to be good, but a relatively low max salary is always going to ensure that they're one of the best places to get value on other teams.

This could maybe play out a little bit with the new rules allowing the best players access to the highest max after 7 years instead of 10. It's good for those players, obviously, but actually paying those players closer to what they're worth makes them less of a source of excess value.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

He certainly looks dumb doing it.

I don't know if he did anything wrong but he certainly looks dumb doing it - The Mason Plumlee Story

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

If that's your logic than Rudy Gobert should be an all star way before Draymond.

e: Kawhi, Durant, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins are all performing considerably better than Draymond.

KAT, Blake, Gasol all have legitimate arguments that they have better cases than Draymond.

Gordon Hayward, Rudy Gobert, Lamarcus Aldridge, and DeAndre Jordan all have similar cases.

I honestly just don't see him deserving a spot unless you say KAT, Davis, and Cousins don't get in because their teams suck.
That looks like you have 4 guys definitely ahead of him, for 7 or 8 frontcourt positions.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lmfao https://twitter.com/MarcCTB/status/817117183599902725

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Fast Luck posted:

how'd I do?

A+ ballot

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

How on Earth did Isaiah Thomas become an all star PG two years after being traded by the Kings for scrap? Is it the magic of Handsome Brad?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

How on Earth did Isaiah Thomas become an all star PG two years after being traded by the Kings for scrap? Is it the magic of Handsome Brad?

He was good in Sacramento too and that was a bad trade, but in some fairness IT is super talented but he needs to be in the right situation to shine. A lot of teams and a lot of situations would have not gotten a ton of value from him either.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Isaiah Thomas was great on the Kings, which is why they tripped over themselves rushing to replace him with certified Real Point Guard Darren Collison. Phoenix was about his worst, but he was also playing with Bledsoe/Dragic. In short: Pete D'Alessandro

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

IT was comically undervalued by the Kings and then Suns and I don't really know why

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

IT was comically undervalued by the Kings and then Suns and I don't really know why

It's because he's short.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I still say Zaza's peculiar.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

That number doesn't tell you how well he defended the pick and roll, it tells you how well he defended the pick and roll when the screener got the ball and made a scoring attempt, which is like 10% of all pick and rolls.

Hmmm... is their any public stat you know of that will tell me the outcome of every pick and roll a defender is involved in, regardless if a scoring attempt does not directly result from it?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I can't believe people are voting for kimba walker kyle lowery and carl anthony towns

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I remember him being good on the Kings (better than Collison which, lol, I forgot that poo poo) but not **great**.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Could just be his height or his low draft position and people not rethinking their existing biases.

chunkles posted:

In short: Pete D'Alessandro
lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

Hmmm... is their any public stat you know of that will tell me the outcome of every pick and roll a defender is involved in, regardless if a scoring attempt does not directly result from it?

Luckily there is none yet!

Word is, the league is working on this. :ssh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a stat which describes the difference between a players actual field goal percentage with what the expected field goal percentage would be for the shots he or she takes?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Is there a stat which describes the difference between a players actual field goal percentage with what the expected field goal percentage would be for the shots he or she takes?

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/expected-effective-field-goal-percentage/
I don't see a byline but someone did it for nylon calculus two years ago. I dont know if you oculd still do it because of sportvu hiding some defender distance stuff

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Your posts make me feel like an important insider or something. :h:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

The color for Reggie Jackson as a pnr defender is RED meaning BAD

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In Chinese basketball analytics red means good

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm pretty sure people 'round here were calling IT the best late draft pick ever (up with Ginobili) when he was still on the Kings.

His defense will always be really really bad but his offense is at least twice as good as his defense is bad.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

The color for Reggie Jackson as a pnr defender is RED meaning BAD

i'm sorry you must deal with reggie i feel your pain :sympathy:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

I'm pretty sure people 'round here were calling IT the best late draft pick ever (up with Ginobili) when he was still on the Kings.

His defense will always be really really bad but his offense is at least twice as good as his defense is bad.

This is accurate. The original "reason" he went was due to friction with Boogie, but they've both denied it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

euphronius posted:

In Chinese basketball analytics red means good

Send Reggie to China then.

In other news, the haunted Skirvin strikes again- http://newsok.com/oklahoma-hotel-developer-john-weemans-death-surprises-partners/article/5533020?earlyAccess=true

• Locked thread