Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Golden hook roadhog made so many pubbies in silver so mad and when they'd say in all chat "what a bullshit hook" you just comment back "the golden hook seeks blood" then spend the match getting focused by all the enemy pubbies while your team sits on the cart twiddling their thumbs and taking point after point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So the hook changes will make it easier to dump people off cliffs, right? The way they describe it, you'll just need to stand next to a cliff and then turn to face off it after hooking someone, instead of having to position yourself so that there's a pit between you and the person you're hooking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rirse posted:

So will that stop the bug where Sombra gets warped to Roadhog if she teleports whne grabbed?

i don't think you can teleport while grabbed; it comes with a stun. you're either teleporting after you've arrived and the stun wears off, or your client thought you were teleporting but actually serverside you were already hooked

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

or your client thought you were teleporting but actually serverside you were already hooked

It's this one, but the way this works out in the mechanics is that you still teleport but then get pulled from your new location. There was an amusing video of this floating around at one point.

I imagine with the new hook it'll still hook you, and then if you're not in line of sight after teleporting the hook will immediately break.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Grappling someone from below a ledge will probably no longer work, and that's a shame.
Makes Hanzo's and Widowmaker's life less miserable, and that can not be part of the design plan.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kai Tave posted:

I've played Oasis only a few times but it feels kind of...small? Someone else has commented that there's a lot of space that never gets used so maybe that's the case, but I know that on Ilios for example that the fights always seem to shift beyond just the point, but so far on Oasis every game I've played has been nothing but prying people directly off the point itself or holding onto it with a death grip. It's probably just getting used to the map so I don't know. Nobody's used the jump pad in my games but I did have a Rein charge me into traffic whereupon he got splattered by a car and I was able to hit the boosters and get out unscathed, so that was cool.

I really need to pay attention to the sub-names of the maps, but on at least one of them I've noticed teams are pretty successful at holding the room ahead of the control point for the opposing team, pretty successfully cutting access off from the point completely unless someone has a flanker who can over the defense somehow.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

University: Well but instead of dying at the bottom you get healed

City Center: The gimmick map

Garden: The one with the pretty plants

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think it's University . . . whichever one there's only one archway after the spawn that everyone has to pass through.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pyzza Rouge posted:

University: Well but instead of dying at the bottom you get healed

I got booped into there by a lucio who must have figured i'd die. I just healed up, waited until the next teamfight and ninja hooked a healer, then reinhardt from down there. Mei then jumped down and we killed eachother.

That hole is magical.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

dogstile posted:

I got booped into there by a lucio who must have figured i'd die. I just healed up, waited until the next teamfight and ninja hooked a healer, then reinhardt from down there. Mei then jumped down and we killed eachother.

That hole is magical.

So you enjoy hooking through a hole in public places?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You don't?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

dogstile posted:

That hole is magical.

I'm glad roadhog can RP as a bridge troll now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

That hole is magical.

That hole allows for the best moves in the entire game. Zarya grav surge from below is my favorite new thing to do

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Can somebody post that cool Winston guide again?

Also I need tips for Zen, I have no idea how aggressive I'm supposed to go with him

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

eleven extra elephants posted:

Also I need tips for Zen, I have no idea how aggressive I'm supposed to go with him

I don't have the ape guide handy, but with Zen you really shouldn't be aggressive at all. You should be hanging around with your team and specifically your tanks because you can be melted by anyone and everyone and don't have any sort of mobility or self healing other than your shield regen and ult. Yes, discord orb + full charged M2 landing a string of headshots will pop a lot of health and kill quite a few enemies, but if you miss and they live and you're in a 1v1 they will probably end you assuming equal skill.

Also, if you're off being aggressive and picking fights you aren't applying your healing orb to targets that need it. Your healing is slow but consistent, but not if you're not around to move it as needed. This also applies to your ult; yes it's cool and good that you can go invul for a good period of time, but without teammates around to benefit from your AOE heal you are wasting your ult doing absolutely nothing (you can make an argument for using it on KOTH/2CP makes for stalling a point I guess).

Stick to your team, pop discord orbs around to help your team get picks, and then keep moving that discord orb around to keep the damage flowing. You should always have discord orb on someone, and you should always have your healing orb attached to someone. You shouldn't be alone or pursuing targets by yourself, and your aggression should be tempered by the fact you have no way out once you go in. Lastly, you have no damage falloff on your orbs, there is no reason not to shoot them from far away.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

eleven extra elephants posted:

Depends on what you mean by aggressive. Zenyatta is perhaps the single most vulnerable character in the game, he's slow and has a generous hitbox and no means of escape or defensive invulnerability/mobility short of his ult which you should almost never, ever, ever, ever, ever use to save your own life. So in terms of "how far up should I be" the answer is you shouldn't, you want to be in the back, you want to be playing from angles where you can pop in and out of cover and make it so that if someone wants to gank you they have to go through the rest of your team, but not so far back that you become easy prey for Tracers.

If you mean "how often should I be trying to kill people" the answer is all the time, orb of harmony is fire and forget so as long as you're periodically hitting shift to put orbs on people who need it you should be focusing quite a bit on doing and enabling damage. Zenyatta is almost more of a DPS hero with a sideline in healing, having Zenyatta on a team gears it towards a more aggressive approach. Pick your discord targets to maximize their impact and get good and slamming balls into peoples faces. Charge up your alt-fire when peeking around corners and predicting when enemies will come from around corners to try and nail them with a quick burst of damage, then go back to sticking discord on them and using M1 (charge doesn't increase your overall DPS, but if you aren't currently shooting at someone it can be useful to use it as an opener).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's also worth noting as Zen you can hold M1 to fire and use shift/E to throw orbs while firing. Charging M2 and reloading prohibit orb throwing though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Don't forget that melee cancels M2.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It still eats your ammo, so also don't forget to reload.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I've remapped discord orb to right click so I can more easily throw it out in the middle of a firefight. The volley shot is too situational to take up that binding, IMO.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Leveling a second account to play with some lower ranked friends and poo poo and the matchmaker gets real loving weird at times. 5+ Minute queues and every few games you wind up in a game full of other smurf accounts so everything gets real loving sweaty all of a sudden.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bolow posted:

Leveling a second account to play with some lower ranked friends and poo poo and the matchmaker gets real loving weird at times. 5+ Minute queues and every few games you wind up in a game full of other smurf accounts so everything gets real loving sweaty all of a sudden.

It's better than Smurf accounts that belong to some 4k+ Mcrees dropping into your ~3k game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I've remapped discord orb to right click so I can more easily throw it out in the middle of a firefight. The volley shot is too situational to take up that binding, IMO.
Note that the volley is really useful for poking around corners though, so you should probably rebind it to shift, rather than e, so you can use it more easily while strafing.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Defenders going past the choke at the very beginning of a CP/hybrid match is a complete chump strategy, right? Should I be yelling at team mates that do it?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Defenders going past the choke at the very beginning of a CP/hybrid match is a complete chump strategy, right? Should I be yelling at team mates that do it?

As with everything, it's situational but yeah genuinely you like to hold your defensively advantaged position which is on the other side of the choke, yes.

You shouldn't yell at teammates ever, so no to that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I mean you probably shouldn't be yelling at anyone in a video game but otherwise you're correct that pushing too far past good defensible positions is a dumb thing to do. Take a look at how many of your defense games on Route 66 involve people wanting to fight at the train cars instead of hanging back and waiting to fight at the gas station. People really love to push right up to the attacker's spawn for some reason.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I don't actually want to yell at my team mates, cuz that does suck. But I will make a point to at least spam "group up" more often. I just hate it when I'm playing Rein and everyone just charges past me to the spawn gate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't actually want to yell at my team mates, cuz that does suck. But I will make a point to at least spam "group up" more often. I just hate it when I'm playing Rein and everyone just charges past me to the spawn gate.

I mean if you're playing like solo queue quickplay or something you may be out of luck there, quickplay isn't where you go to find coordinated strategy and cooperation.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People consciously or unconsciously think of the game in tug-of-war terms even if that's not really how correct strategy works, so fighting at the enemy spawn ~feels~ like winning even if the terrain and spawn distances make it extremely disadvantageous to do.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

:frogsiren:

PTR posted:

Players can now equip up to 4 emotes, sprays, and voice lines from within the hero gallery.
:frogsiren:

Oh and they nerfed Ana grenade I guess.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
faster Sombra hack hell yeah, now just move her from Offense to Support

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dva has been nerfed PRAISE TO GOD

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

dva has been nerfed PRAISE TO GOD
All hail Zarya, I guess.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
PTR Patch notes

quote:

Overwatch Patch Notes – January 5, 2017

A new patch is now live. Read below to learn about the latest changes.

To share your feedback, please post in the General Discussion forum.
For a list of known issues, visit our Bug Report forum.
For troubleshooting assistance, visit our Technical Support forum.
GENERAL UPDATES

General

Emote Wheel
Players can now equip up to 4 emotes, sprays, and voice lines from within the hero gallery
Voice line and emote submenus can be accessed using the left and right mouse buttons from within the Communication wheel
Players can now bind individual sprays, emotes, and voice lines to unique keys or mouse buttons

HERO BALANCE UPDATES

Ana

Biotic Grenade
Healing boost on allies has been decreased by 50%

Developer Comments: The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.

D.Va

Health increased from 200 to 400
Armor decreased from 400 to 200
Fusion Cannons
Bullet damage decreased from 3 to 2
Number of bullets per shot has been increased from 8 to 11

Developer Comments: D.Va’s armor often made her feel like she had no weaknesses, even against heroes that are often effective against bigger targets (like Reaper). The changes to her Fusion Cannons will result in a small overall decrease in damage, but they should feel more consistent now.

Roadhog

Chain Hook
Targets are now pulled directly in front of Roadhog (rather than straight to him), except in cases where Roadhog drastically rotates
Hooked targets are now released if they leave Roadhog’s line-of-sight before being pulled
Line-of-sight checks (which detect if targets should be initially hit by the hook) are now done from Roadhog’s position, rather than the hook’s position

Developer Comments: The hook should now feel more consistent for Roadhog players, but it should also feel more reasonable to his enemies, as they cannot be hooked or pulled around corners anymore.

Sombra

Hack
The time it takes to hack a target has been decreased from 1 second to 0.8 seconds

Developer Comments: Sombra often had difficulty hacking enemies, even when she surprised the target. This change should help her execute hacks more easily.
USER INTERFACE UPDATES

The “Stay as Team” button lights up when anyone on your team clicks it

Kill Feed

Hero ability icons are now displayed
Ultimate abilities are now indicated with an orange arrow
Headshot eliminations are now indicated with a red icon

BUG FIXES

General

Fixed a bug that allowed spectators to click the “Stay as Team” button after a game ended
Fixed a bug that caused the “Stay as Team” button to overlap with the “Back” button on the Social menu
Fixed a bug causing the “Mouse 4” button to execute the “Back” function during menu navigation, preventing it from being used for other features
Fixed a bug preventing the Social menu from correctly displaying World of Warcraft zones that have a single quotation mark in the name
Fixed a bug causing heroes to display a “T-pose” on the victory screen following a Mystery Heroes brawl

AI

Fixed a bug that prevented the Roadhog bot from grabbing enemies with his Chain Hook through a friendly Reinhardt’s Barrier Field
Fixed a bug that allowed the Sombra bot to hack through barriers
Fixed a bug that made the Torbjörn bot unresponsive after placing his turret

Competitive Play

Fixed a bug preventing players from receiving experience points when playing offseason games

Heroes

Fixed a bug that would cause the cup in Ana’s “Toast” victory pose to appear blurry on the right side of the screen
Fixed a bug causing several visual effect issues on McCree’s “Hat Trick” emote
Fixed a bug causing Mercy’s wings to be improperly placed on her Valkyrie and Sigrún skins
Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Symmetra’s Photon Barrier from playing a sound effect when destroyed
Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Widowmaker’s Venom Mine from attaching to walls
Fixed a bug that prevented Zenyatta’s Nutcracker skin from glowing when his Transcendence ultimate ability was activated

Maps

Fixed a bug that allowed Widowmaker to reach an unintended location on Eichenwalde
Fixed a bug that allowed Widowmaker to reach unintended locations on Ecopoint: Antarctica
Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Dorado
Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to reach unintended locations on Watchpoint: Gibraltar
Fixed a bug on Oasis's garden tier where the border around the capture point inaccurately marked the bounds of the capture point
Fixed an issue causing texture fragmentation on the Practice Range
Fixed a bug preventing some projectiles from destroying the piñatas on Dorado
Fixed an issue preventing the glass railings on Oasis from being easily broken by a melee attack

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Sombra hack speedup will help but I think if they got rid of the delay when coming out of invisibility she'd be an extremely viable hero

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TFW your 3 fav heroes get nerfed at once.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
She still needs to do more damage. She gets .2 seconds of more attack time but still ineffectually tries to kill her target.

Tracer has better staying power, she can kill a target faster, and move on to the next one provided she has enough health. Sombra can't even kill a single target before having to retreat still.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ersatz posted:

All hail Zarya, I guess.

good, rein/zarya/road is the best strategy anyways since it's hard to gently caress up playing zarya but every pubbie thinks using dva to flank instead of DPS to flank is a cool and good idea

like yeah it can be a good idea but dva should mostly be being used to reduce damage to your rein's shield, which then lets you pop the enemy rein's shield first then graviton combo wombo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sombra and tracer don't play the same so it's not a great comparison

it'd be nice if sombra had better spread tho. you could also probably give her an extra 10 dps instead to bring her damage in line with what soldier had when he was terrible. sombra can't even safely 1v1 recon bastion right now and that's sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

good, rein/zarya/road is the best strategy anyways since it's hard to gently caress up playing zarya but every pubbie thinks using dva to flank instead of DPS to flank is a cool and good idea

like yeah it can be a good idea but dva should mostly be being used to reduce damage to your rein's shield, which then lets you pop the enemy rein's shield first then graviton combo wombo
It's pretty easy to gently caress up Zarya, since most players bubble proactively instead of reactively, and can't aim for poo poo with her laser.

I'm also not sure why you think nerfing D.Va to the point that she can't independently protect her team is a great idea, but Rein being 100 percent necessary on most maps is A-OK.