Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I am afraid people who say things like "I don't believe in guns"

Are in the wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Guns don't exist

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am literally a gun. AMA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i like goons with such.... caliber

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The cool thing about owning a gun for personal defense is that you'll end up killing your family with it instead and will be demonstrably less safe while you're alive.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ScrubLeague posted:

The cool thing about owning a car for personal transport is that you'll end up killing your family with it instead and will be demonstrably less safe while you're alive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Pull up, thread, pull up! Someone not on a phone post something from jj's twitter feed!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First trial doesn't start till Feb 6, and that's only the small timers. The next one starts a month after the previous one ends. Same for the one after that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/814282027084095488

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/814272396945334272

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/814246495843065856

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/814258550620835840

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/814241005981417473

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/814238035407609856

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im usually all :argh: obama but making gold butt a national monument to spite brundy is hilarious

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i support monumental buttes & the death penalty for murder

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love Cliven Bundy's Butte

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, Ritzenheimer is cruising for jail time, isn't he?

This is just lovely. Fucker played them like fools and I bet they're still going to overlook this and still think he supports them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How are we going to honor the death of the One True Tarp?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

VikingSkull posted:

he is now a convicted felon, it would be illegal for him to own a firearm under current laws

i thought it was an inalienable human right

inalienable means "can't be taken away"

so, by what you've said, dylann roof should have access to firearms

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CommunistPancake posted:

i thought it was an inalienable human right

inalienable means "can't be taken away"

so, by what you've said, dylann roof should have access to firearms

Once he has been released from prison, rehabilitated and successfully reintegrated into society I don't see why not?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Once he has been released from prison, rehabilitated and successfully reintegrated into society I don't see why not?

Prison doesn't rehabilitate, though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prison doesn't rehabilitate, though.

agreed. in the current justice system, rehabilitation may or may not happen at all. thats why i had to explicitly mention it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Was he imprisoned for life?
Anyway what I'm saying is this

Is not a progressive position, and the idea of egregious sentence length is more "appalling" to me then capital punishment.

Norway doesn't have life sentences. He got the maximum sentence of 21 years under preventive detention, and will become eligible for parole after serving 10 of those years

preventive detention means that he's evaluated at the end of the sentence and it can be extended for another five years if he is still deemed to be a danger to society. at the end of the sentence he is evaluated again and it can be extended again if necessary. this continues until he is either released or dead

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Norway doesn't have life sentences. He got the maximum sentence of 21 years under preventive detention, and will become eligible for parole after serving 10 of those years

preventive detention means that he's evaluated at the end of the sentence and it can be extended for another five years if he is still deemed to be a danger to society. at the end of the sentence he is evaluated again and it can be extended again if necessary. this continues until he is either released or dead

In the US we'd call this a life sentence, hence the confusion.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

In the US we'd call this a life sentence, hence the confusion.

to be fair in the US we also have life without parole so that's a bit more extreme

but yeah, a lot of life sentences are actually "x number of years with review for early release" which is more or less the same thing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

to be fair in the US we also have life without parole so that's a bit more extreme

but yeah, a lot of life sentences are actually "x number of years with review for early release" which is more or less the same thing

Though in the US prisons are a complete hellhole so a sentence of 18 to life means that someone spends the better part of two decades in a violent, downright torturous environment deprived of most things that help people remain well-adjusted. Someone in Norway is actually living a regular (if plain) life and getting therapy, while someone in the US is lucky not to get stabbed at least twice before they get out of the same sentence.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Though in the US prisons are a complete hellhole so a sentence of 18 to life means that someone spends the better part of two decades in a violent, downright torturous environment deprived of most things that help people remain well-adjusted. Someone in Norway is actually living a regular (if plain) life and getting therapy, while someone in the US is lucky not to get stabbed at least twice before they get out of the same sentence.

TBH, Roof isn't going to state pen gen pop. He'll probably end up in a Supermax prison, where he'll have no physical contact with a human being for the rest of his life.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The right to firearms has never been inalienable and shouldn't be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Young Freud posted:

Man, Ritzenheimer is cruising for jail time, isn't he?

This is just lovely. Fucker played them like fools and I bet they're still going to overlook this and still think he supports them.

Trump's pick isn't as awful as people might've expected but there's still nothing that would or could stop Trump and the GOP if they decide to start selling Federal lands to companies for exploration and exploitation.

VikingSkull posted:

Life sentences in the US have no obligation to consider parole at specific timeframes like Norway's system IIRC.

Norway's system is "the max time is up, do we think this person's actually ok to release?"
The US's system is "this person will be in here until they die unless we're given a good reason to consider and grant parole."

...unless it's life without parole, in which case you are going to die in jail unless you get a pardon or some new evidence overturns your conviction.

Being a prisoner in Norway or Sweden is probably better than living in destitute poverty in the US and it's unquestionably better than the slave labor torture camps the private prison industry runs in the US.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Young Freud posted:

TBH, Roof isn't going to state pen gen pop. He'll probably end up in a Supermax prison, where he'll have no physical contact with a human being for the rest of his life.

This really should be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Long-term solitary confinement is very bad for a person's psyche.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

How are we going to honor the death of the One True Tarp?

Acts of commemoration that are functionally and legally indistinguishable from littering and vandalism, if the past is any indication.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Long-term solitary confinement is very bad for a person's psyche.

Well yes, that's what a lot of voters want.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The right to firearms has never been inalienable and shouldn't be.

Agreed. It's actually the right to "keep and bear arms." The specifics of those weapons isn't important and should never be legislated on.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Execution and solitary are both terrible, they should just enslave him, as the 13th amendment permits

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

Execution and solitary are both terrible, they should just enslave him, as the 13th amendment permits

Solitary is torture, execution via a fast painless process is society politely, but firmly, kicking someone out of it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i still want gladiator fights of death row guys with training and weapons etc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im agaainst the death penlaty but if were gonna have it lets have gladiators

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

corporate sponsorship with broadcasting on espn

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Oregon Standoff Trial 2017: The divide over Cliven Bundy's Butte

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baloogan posted:

This but with juvenile hall instead of death row.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This but with juvenile hall instead of death row.

Might as well do both.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

akma posted:

Might as well do both.

Good point. I look forward to Orange is the New Black is Spartacus.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I am literally a gun. AMA

how big is your dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

FULL ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK NOW