Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Yeah supposedly the East Coast/Canadians are getting theres now and Funagain expects it this Friday but holy gently caress what a wait -- with big retailers stocking up I'm tempted to stop preordering directly from companies like Splotter/GMT/etc when I can get a lot of their releases for around the same price with some kind of visibility on the delivery.

I'm having a similar problem where I put a huge pre-order up for some games including the Colonists on CSI, now everything has arrived, and everyone else is getting The Colonists and I want to play First Class :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Impermanent posted:

I'm having a similar problem where I put a huge pre-order up for some games including the Colonists on CSI, now everything has arrived, and everyone else is getting The Colonists and I want to play First Class :(

Hah, same boat there too. A family member gifted me The Colonists for xmas (after I instructed them to obviously) but they preordered from MM so it's just sitting there, meanwhile it's on Amazon Prime now for like 8 dollars more.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I ordered:

CONAN

PANZER (GMT)

FLASHPOINT: FIRE RESCUE

FLASHPOINT: FIRE RESCUE 2ND STORY

FEAST FOR ODIN

BLOOD RAGE

CONFLICT OF HEROES GUADALCANAL

And I backed

KINGDOM DEATH 1.5 because it's so
absurd I need it

Discuss my poor choices with me

EBag
May 18, 2006

At least you can probably sell KD for more than you paid.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Aston posted:

I'm probably playing Kanban for the first time tomorrow. Is there anything that I should know going in, particularly common rules mistakes? It's my friend's game, and although I had a flick through the rules I struggled to get a sense of how the game plays from them. Also there doesn't appear to be a good teaching video on YouTube, which is usually the way we learn games together, unless anyone has a suggestion?

Good quick reference here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1278152/nice-sandras-quick-start-guide-kanban-automotive-r

Vital Lacerda made a helpful geeklist as well: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174869/kanban-how-play-list

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I am really impressed by The Colonists so far, but I think it will end up being a solo game for me. It seems to have a lot of strong qualities as a solo, however, I do have some gripes. The start player hex should have some other effect in solitaire, but I don't quite know what. Also, I really would like some options on setups. I dont like the idea of planning out my board by myself before play, so right now I am just using the 3 premade ones (easy/medium/hard) from the tutorial booklet.

Does anyone know any good solitaire tips for this game? I really think this would be easy to make a great solo game out with just a little tweaking.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EBag posted:

At least you can probably sell KD for more than you paid.

Yeah I can fleece some nerd out of like 600 bucks if it turns out to suck or be too creepy

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I got Fury for Dracula to the table for the first time last night. drat that game is long. We played for 4 hours, got to the end of the second week and decided to call it quits because we all had to go to bed. It was a combination of learning the game and some AP, the game was definitely picking up speed towards the end.

I was playing Dracula and we weren't using the advanced rules so options were limited. Still, I only managed to get caught once and got out with a single damage. I led the hunters in a merry goose chase, using sea travel to double back in unexpected directions and do loops through eastern Europe. Despite never actually leaving eastern Europe I was able to bluff a few times and send the hunters scrambling I the wrong direction which bought me some time.

I like how tense the game can be as Dracula when the net is closing in. Sometimes you just have to take a risk to try to slip through and it would genuinely get my heart racing.

I just wish the game was quicker.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

avoid kingmaking by only playing coop games

Sloober posted:

But then you have quarterbacking problems...

Well then, clearly the best game ever made must be a co-op with hidden objectives that prevent people from wanting to quarterback! :getin:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have some friends who like the idea of pencil and paper RPG's, but can't get their poo poo together enough to do all the paperwork and learning required. I was thinking of picking up Descent, as it seems tailor made for their tastes. Is it a good game?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Descent is good, but there's effectively zero roleplaying. It's combat/scenario oriented with stuff having like a paragraph or two of intro, and beyond that no real window for players to inject much character or anything. It depends on what they're expecting the focus to be; It's all dungeon crawl and no slower or social type moments.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Dregs posted:

I have some friends who like the idea of pencil and paper RPG's, but can't get their poo poo together enough to do all the paperwork and learning required. I was thinking of picking up Descent, as it seems tailor made for their tastes. Is it a good game?

You either want Descent or something like Dungeon World depending on what they're looking for out of it.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 6, 2017

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Descent is good, but there's effectively zero roleplaying. It's combat/scenario oriented with stuff having like a paragraph or two of intro, and beyond that no real window for players to inject much character or anything. It depends on what they're expecting the focus to be; It's all dungeon crawl and no slower or social type moments.

Sounds like just what I was looking for. I was just worried about lovely mechanics or something. Thanks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Throw them right into 2300AD

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hope you have a scientific calculator

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Dregs posted:

I want to recommend Dread, a RPG where the sole mechanic is taking pulls from a Jenga tower. Collapse the tower and your character dies when the GM finds it thematically appropriate. There's even a pretty good Stranger Things esque story called Stranger Dread.

Indie RPGs have gone the direction of fewer mechanics, more pure roleplaying so if you don't want a gamer's game like Descent you can get something like Fiasco.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Phi230 posted:

Throw them right into 2300AD

Is this serious, or some board games in-joke I don't yet get? It seemed pretty cool from a cursory look.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The Dregs posted:

It's not out now, so I have no idea, but you might wanna wait and see how well Gloomhaven is received if you're open to a legacy game. The actual combat mechanics look pretty neat and simple.

I just mention it because it's pretty much a dungeon crawling pencil and paper RPG in a box.

Edit: You weren't really looking for suggestions, oops. My bad.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's not out now, so I have no idea, but you might wanna wait and see how well Gloomhaven is received if you're open to a legacy game. The actual combat mechanics look pretty neat and simple.

I just mention it because it's pretty much a dungeon crawling pencil and paper RPG in a box.

Edit: You weren't really looking for suggestions, oops. My bad.

Suggestions are welcome! Another game I was looking at is Mice and Mystics. Also that Star Wars version of Descent...Assault I think?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Dregs posted:

Suggestions are welcome! Another game I was looking at is Mice and Mystics. Also that Star Wars version of Descent...Assault I think?

Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror are very good "psudo-D&Ds". You are not moving around a grid, but the combat does involve a lot of dice chucking and winning the scenario requires the entire party to work together. I would say they are one of the better substitutes for lazy D&D groups.

Pathfinder Adventure Cards also does this, but its bad so don't get it!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Dregs posted:

Is this serious, or some board games in-joke I don't yet get? It seemed pretty cool from a cursory look.

Im not too experienced in the world of RPGS, I've only played a dozen sessions (GMed one) and am only familiar with a few systems like Fantasy Flight star wars, pathfinder, traveller etc...

That being said 2300AD is the spergiest, most chrome filled system I've ever seen.

You gotta do intermediate calculus to travel between systems and you can die DURING character creation

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Imperial Assault. Again, roleplaying is very light, but the system in general is better than Descent 2nd because it's had a lot of time to get cleaned up.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Im not too experienced in the world of RPGS, I've only played a dozen sessions (GMed one) and am only familiar with a few systems like Fantasy Flight star wars, pathfinder, traveller etc...

That being said 2300AD is the spergiest, most chrome filled system I've ever seen.

You gotta do intermediate calculus to travel between systems and you can die DURING character creation

I thought Phoenix Command was the gold standard for insane bullshit. Probably too obscure to make an effective joke, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stelas posted:

Imperial Assault. Again, roleplaying is very light, but the system in general is better than Descent 2nd because it's had a lot of time to get cleaned up.

Imp rear end is great and the pieces are reaaaaally nice (doubly so if you paint 'em) but it doesn't have the app yet like Descent 2E, does it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Imp rear end is great and the pieces are reaaaaally nice (doubly so if you paint 'em) but it doesn't have the app yet like Descent 2E, does it?

It doesn't, but one has been confirmed as in production.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

I thought Phoenix Command was the gold standard for insane bullshit. Probably too obscure to make an effective joke, though.

The setting of 2300AD is really cool though and normal gameplay ain't that bad. I usually just hire an NPC navigator and avoid the calc

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Stelas posted:

It doesn't, but one has been confirmed as in production.

Has it? They mentioned it at Gencon, but the only public announcement of it was scrubbed from their site not long after Gencon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

canyoneer posted:

... why have I not thought of playing Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective while driving? That is a brilliant idea for long road trips.

Are you excited for the West end adventures reprint? I already preordered it

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Has it? They mentioned it at Gencon, but the only public announcement of it was scrubbed from their site not long after Gencon.

There was a tweet, too, but it was deleted:

Optimistic point of view is maybe they are a ways off and don't want distract folks from their properties that are for sale right now. Pessimistic point of view is Disney told them they don't own app rights or something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh. Huh. Well, that's a shitter.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There was a tweet, too, but it was deleted:

Optimistic point of view is maybe they are a ways off and don't want distract folks from their properties that are for sale right now. Pessimistic point of view is Disney told them they don't own app rights or something.

That would not surprise me in the least, especially considering how fast and loose FFG was playing with the license in the first place. Don't they have to pay out with every copy sold because they overstepped their terms already?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I sure as gently caress hope they still are working on the app, because I've got a pile of impass here that I'm holding off on until said app is released.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Maybe I've been going about it wrong. Maybe the best way to play campaign for North Africa is with your spouse as a lifelong game.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Dregs posted:

I like playing M&M with my kids but it's very dice chucky. It has nice touches like certain actions in one chapter giving you perks or extra options later on.

I dunno how long it would interest people who aren't children TBH.

Imperial Assualt is pretty cool as is Descent. They share a lot of things so pick whichever theme would work best for you. Imp Assault has nice one off skirmish options that Descent lacks.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

T-Bone posted:

I like how the people who ordered from CSI/Cardhaus/MM are getting The Great Zimbabwe earlier than folks who preordered from Splotter a year ago. I guess it's because their distributor is FunAgain (west coast shop) but ugh I want to play some TGZ/Indonesia.

:same:

I'm actually pretty unimpressed with Splotter about all of this. From what I can tell, literally the entire rest of the world except the USA who preordered The Great Zimbabwe from Splotter got their orders shipped directly from them (and for the most part those arrived weeks/months ago). Those of us in the States were charged the same "PostNL World" shipping rates as everyone else outside Europe, but instead of actually being shipped out from the Netherlands via PostNL, our stuff was apparently bulk shipped via sea container to Funagain for them to transship.

I don't begrudge Splotter for trying to find what I assume was a cheaper solution for shipping to the USA, but I do begrudge them charging us just as much as everyone else and then shipping our orders via a much, much slower method.

The extra salt in the wound is that Funagain seems to be the last major retailer in the country to get their stock, so it's possible to order it today off Amazon Prime (granted, at a markup) and have it this weekend, while those of us who preordered a year ago continue to wait.

And then there's Indonesia, where it seems like the entire retail shipment for the USA has disappeared into customs limbo (including, of course, the direct preorders from US customers that were again supposed to be shipped directly from the Netherlands).

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, has anyone in here played the Megaman board game? I saw a copy at a local bookstore, but didn't want to drop the cash on something that might be licensed garbage.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Known Lecher posted:

:same:

I'm actually pretty unimpressed with Splotter about all of this. From what I can tell, literally the entire rest of the world except the USA who preordered The Great Zimbabwe from Splotter got their orders shipped directly from them (and for the most part those arrived weeks/months ago). Those of us in the States were charged the same "PostNL World" shipping rates as everyone else outside Europe, but instead of actually being shipped out from the Netherlands via PostNL, our stuff was apparently bulk shipped via sea container to Funagain for them to transship.

I don't begrudge Splotter for trying to find what I assume was a cheaper solution for shipping to the USA, but I do begrudge them charging us just as much as everyone else and then shipping our orders via a much, much slower method.

The extra salt in the wound is that Funagain seems to be the last major retailer in the country to get their stock, so it's possible to order it today off Amazon Prime (granted, at a markup) and have it this weekend, while those of us who preordered a year ago continue to wait.

And then there's Indonesia, where it seems like the entire retail shipment for the USA has disappeared into customs limbo (including, of course, the direct preorders from US customers that were again supposed to be shipped directly from the Netherlands).

If I was getting just one of these, which should it be?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm so glad I canceled my Indonesia preorder.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, has anyone in here played the Megaman board game? I saw a copy at a local bookstore, but didn't want to drop the cash on something that might be licensed garbage.

Its....a mixed bag. It's clear that the designers loved Mega Man and wanted to represent it as best they could in board game form...but it just doesn't really work.

If it's on clearance or you have a coupon or something, it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Agent Rush posted:

It is really astonishingly bad. I've posted about it here/in the Level99 thread.

E: Dug up my posts:

You choose a stage. You have a set amount of dice that have faces like Mega Man heads, power pellets, I don't even loving remember what else. You advance a space on the stage board and draw a card which is about a quarter the size it should be to be readable for the whole table. The card has a target for you to hit and usually some other bullshit conditions. You roll as few dice from your pool as you think you can get away with while trying to achieve the target on the challenge card (like two power pellets or three shots or whatever). If you succeed you continue to the next space and have the option to keep going with the remainder of your dice pool, if you fail you lose a life. Lose three lives and you go back to the beginning of the stage. When you get to the end of the stage the game changes to a sort of duel mode against the Robot Master and you and the person next to you roll a shitload of dice over and over again to see if you win and get the weapon, or die (if it's even possible to beat the Robot Master at all - there's at least one that pretty much mathematically impossible to beat with its weakness weapon, let alone without it.)

When you've slogged through two stages and killed two robot masters you go assault Wily's castle which works the same way but some of the challenge cards are fights against the Robot Masters (including that unbeatable rear end in a top hat). Then you face off against Wily, who has two horrible unfun forms to murder, unless you backed the Kickstarter in which case you also have to kill the Yellow Devil (the most notoriously unfun boss in the video game) before fighting him.

The seriously weird thing is all the components are really nice. They just apparently are allergic to playtesting or something.

I bought Mega Man: The Board Game even though I knew it would be terrible because I'm a huge sucker for all things Mega Man, but boy howdy is it not good.

Let's get the good stuff out of the way first: the components are very very good looking, for the most part, and the game really does try to emulate the flow of a video game from 1986 for really no benefit other than nostalgia.

But...

The Mega Man pawns are all identical, so with a few players it can be tough to figure out who is using which. This is particularly egregious since the game is emulating a series that almost got called Rainbow Man for all the colors the main character can turn. The Challenge cards, by far the meat of the game, are rinky dink little microscopic cards which is an absurdly dumb choice for something that needs to be quickly readable by all players. For the most part, the challenge cards themselves are pretty cool, and while there are definitely some tougher ones the resolution system is usually lenient enough to let you squeeze by by tanking damage or blowing through weapon energy. The Mega Man/player decks are pretty okay, there seems to be a good array of abilities for both heroes and villains, but the idea that anyone could or should deckbuild them further is out-and-out absurd on the very face of it. The rule book is very pretty, as far as that goes, but is full of glaring ambiguities, typos and oversights that it ends up making the first game drag on as you continually look things up. And boy, the game DOES drag. As written, a player must defeat two Robot Masters before assaulting Wily's Fortress, but anyone sane will use the variant to only require a single boss kill because otherwise this goofy licensed game will take 3+ hours. The problem there, of course, is that you end up in Wily's fortress underpowered from where you should be.

Boss fights are a cool idea even though as written the Boss control rotates around the table each round for absolutely no reason at all. With one player controlling a boss through all rounds of a battle, the fight flows pretty well (and can get really tense!) but leaves other players in the lurch for 5-10 minutes until it's resolved. And on the topic of boss fights, what in the holy hell were they thinking with Bomb Man's boss card? I genuinely have no idea how anyone could beat Bomb Man without his weakness, and even then it's tougher than every other boss in the game. Oh, and true to the games, you can and probably will re fight the Robot Masters in Wily's fortress, so better hope you don't draw Bomb Man Copy and lose your last life right at the end of the stage.

Wily's fortress is capped with a two-part Wily Machine boss fight which I've heard is insanely difficult, but I wouldn't know because although I own basically every Mega Man video game in existence and multiple copies of some, and have Mega Man action figures lining the walls of my board game room, I've never been able to finish a game.

The Kickstarted version apparently had an EXTRA boss in Wily's fortress based on the Yellow Devil...I can't imagine anyone ever being able to beat all three bosses in one "game over", particularly since I don't recall ever seeing any mechanics to gain more lives.

all that said, the game totally has some potential, and I kind of want to 3d-scan the pawns so I can make an improved Mega Man 3 version on Tabletop Simulator

I loving love Mega Man so really I mean this game was pretty much tailor made for me and I still think it's nearly unplayable.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 6, 2017