Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

We celebrate now but when they use Joe Buck next year instead we'll all pine for "Back, back, back, GONE!"

Did people dislike Berman? I think an overly-excitable manbaby is the perfect person for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

We celebrate now but when they use Joe Buck next year instead we'll all pine for "Back, back, back, GONE!"

"We'd like to present our special guest announcer for the Home Run Derby: the White Sox' own Hawk Harrelson!"

"LET'S SEE HOW MANY HOME RUNS WE CAN PUT ON THE BOARD!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Did people dislike Berman? I think an overly-excitable manbaby is the perfect person for it.

Berman could have easily been replaced with a sound board containing 2 maybe 3 samples set on loop and no one would have noticed.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Popete posted:

Berman could have easily been replaced with a sound board containing 2 maybe 3 samples set on loop and no one would have noticed.

For a game specifically about mashing taters like it's a dumb video game that's extremely appropriate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

For a game specifically about mashing taters like it's a dumb video game that's extremely appropriate.

Yeah this doesn't seem like a refutation of what I said.

The HRD is dumb as hell and that's why it's great. I don't need somebody to provide analysis of anything.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I always got the feeling he sat there with a map so he could do as many variations as possible of "that one was hit to [local place name]".

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i want a soothing PGA golf announcer to do the home run derby

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pancakes posted:

ESPN has almost always hosted the HRD. Joe Buck is employed by Fox.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

ESPN has almost always hosted the HRD. Joe Buck is employed by Fox.

Buck's Fox contract only has another couple of years on it... :tinfoil:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sydin posted:

"We'd like to present our special guest announcer for the Home Run Derby: the White Sox' own Hawk Harrelson!"

"LET'S SEE HOW MANY HOME RUNS WE CAN PUT ON THE BOARD!"

He'd be deadly silent during every non-White Sox contestant's dingers. Which I think would be a big improvement.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
They should just hold a raffle/contest for a fan or two to announce the HRD. It is the definition of low stakes and could be a lot of fun to see some morons do it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Give the players headsets and let them call their own dingers. Or each other's.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Julio Cruz posted:

Give the players headsets and let them call their own dingers. Or each other's.

This would be rad. Just mic everybody.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They should just hold a raffle/contest for a fan or two to announce the HRD. It is the definition of low stakes and could be a lot of fun to see some morons do it.

If I won it would just be a series of bleeps on all the big shots since my reaction is invariably 'holy loving poo poo.'

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Get Gilbert Gottfried to do it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Soul Glo posted:

This would be rad. Just mic everybody.

Players usually are mic'd up, though? In one of his HRDs, while up, Mark McGwire didn't quite square up a ball and cussed super loud into the mic which was broadcast on live TV. The announcers were like "uh... well, this is a live event" because that was prior to the delay after the wardrobe malfunction.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Re-animate the corpse of 1960 Home Run Derby TV series host Mark Scott and have him do it.

"A-wayback, a-wayback, a-wayback... it's gone!"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Players usually are mic'd up, though? In one of his HRDs, while up, Mark McGwire didn't quite square up a ball and cussed super loud into the mic which was broadcast on live TV. The announcers were like "uh... well, this is a live event" because that was prior to the delay after the wardrobe malfunction.

They aren't any more, probably for this reason. The most they do now is 30-second on-field interviews.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nick Rivers posted:

Re-animate the corpse of 1960 Home Run Derby TV series host Mark Scott and have him do it.

"A-wayback, a-wayback, a-wayback... it's gone!"

I would watch the poo poo out of offseason home-run derbys with today's players.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of offseason home-run derbys with today's players.

they did this some years ago and nobody watched it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Give me a homerun derby consisting of players with sub .350 slugging over a full season. Just a bunch of Billy Hamiltons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is just a reminder that sports team owners are ridiculously wealthy slimeballs and the eventual collapse of the RSN TV bubble couldn't happen to a nicer group of folks.

http://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2016-12-23%20Portman%20and%20McCaskill%20letter%20to%20Comcast%20re%20billing%20practices.pdf

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Craptacular! posted:

This is just a reminder that sports team owners are ridiculously wealthy slimeballs and the eventual collapse of the RSN TV bubble couldn't happen to a nicer group of folks.

http://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2016-12-23%20Portman%20and%20McCaskill%20letter%20to%20Comcast%20re%20billing%20practices.pdf

The bursting of that bubble is going to be used to justify massively slashing payroll so I dunno how much I am rooting for it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Serious post:

Just let Cespedes Family BBQ do the HRD.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Serious post:

I'm pretty amazed at how those dudes have gone legit, not bad for something that seemed to start as a part-time college lark.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

The bursting of that bubble is going to be used to justify massively slashing payroll so I dunno how much I am rooting for it.

It's still money from the pockets who give no poo poo about your sport and just want to watch CNN or Syfy or something. Besides, it's up to MLBPA to convince owners that a winning baseball team is the best way to draw money instead of the next Marlins Park boondoggle.

Just make the RSN an optional expense for sports fans, like an HBO or something. People who want the games will pay for it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 5, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

tadashi posted:

There's another story via Jason Parks from his old Rangers sources that Maddux used to tell the young Texas pitchers that throwing a curve is like jerking off: just do what feels good.

That is just terrible advice (for jerking off, not curveballs).

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Inspector_666 posted:

The 90's boom was new stadiums, when that dried up it became RSNs, I have no idea what's next since you can't really go to online any more than MLB has without knifing your cable partners in the back. We're probably a generation away (if ever) that cities will be willing to play the stadium game again so what's left but to maybe try to pull off what the Cubs are doing with a bigger, grander Yawkey Way sort of a deal- hotels, entertainment, etc. to make the ballpark area as much of a year round attraction as possible.

Craptacular! posted:

Just make the RSN an optional expense for sports fans, like an HBO or something. People who want the games will pay for it.

I think ESPN figured out decades ago that 20 bucks a month from sports fans < 4 bucks (double that for ESPN) from everyone.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 6, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't know any of these things about Maddux and it seems like he owns?

Very much so

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Let the Cespedes Family BBQ kids call the HRD

efb

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

tadashi posted:

Serious post:

Nah, let Carson Cistulli do it.

Make it weird spergy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't know any of these things about Maddux and it seems like he owns?

When I was pitching competitively Maddux was like the archetype of what all of us wanted to be...no one was going to 8 feet tall with a 140 mph fastball like RJ or be able to whip a curveball like Pedro but hell, some of us could throw harder than Maddux! Plus, mechanics, etc! So the end result is we basically all tried to do everything that Maddux did, the culmination being when one of my teammates stopped wearing contacts and started wearing glasses during games in order to look more professorial.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The 90's boom was new stadiums, when that dried up it became RSNs, I have no idea what's next since you can't really go to online any more than MLB has without knifing your cable partners in the back. We're probably a generation away (if ever) that cities will be willing to play the stadium game again so what's left but to maybe try to pull off what the Cubs are doing with a bigger, grander Yawkey Way sort of a deal- hotels, entertainment, etc. to make the ballpark area as much of a year round attraction as possible.

I think ESPN figured out decades ago that 20 bucks a month from sports fans < 4 bucks (double that for ESPN) from everyone.

They should add a second league the plays in the off-season so they can fill seats year-round. Too bad for teams that don't have domes.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They should add a second league the plays in the off-season so they can fill seats year-round. Too bad for teams that don't have domes.

Someone tried that.....nobody showed up and Ron Washington was a stud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Someone tried that.....nobody showed up and Ron Washington was a stud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

47 year old Bert Campanaris stole 17 bases lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember back in the 90s the All Star Game festivities featured a hall of fame game where a bunch of retired old-timers (I think mostly just all stars) played the game. It was a beautiful disaster. Some players were so old, that they only batted and had a slightly less older person run for them. Pretty sure it got replaced by the celebrity softball game, because watching Kevin Costner hit dingers was more exciting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

I remember back in the 90s the All Star Game festivities featured a hall of fame game where a bunch of retired old-timers (I think mostly just all stars) played the game. It was a beautiful disaster. Some players were so old, that they only batted and had a slightly less older person run for them. Pretty sure it got replaced by the celebrity softball game, because watching Kevin Costner hit dingers was more exciting.

Yankees Old-Timers Day is always wonderful.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHV7-y5MWk

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees Old-Timers Day is always wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMmr40tNUQ

It really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Orioles trade Gallardo to Seattle for Seth Smith. :confuoot: Should I be excited for a Seth Smith?

E: Barring another signing in February or some poo poo, that makes our rotation Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Miley, and Jiminez. At least...two of those are worth something?

Artix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread