Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

An aluminum truck with a 2.7 liter engine is the best selling truck in america. Maybe the "whurs mah big block" guy being the primary truck customer only exists in the mind of goons.

Lightning! :haw:
It'll depend on the fleet managers. A mild hybrid would significantly reduce their fuel costs. A more EV'ish hybrid will add nightmares for charging. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I would buy a hybrid F-150 if it got 30 mpg combined

Oh man that's another aspect I didn't think about. I like to mock the dudes that buy these trucks that don't use them at all but if their fuel economy is suddenly 30+ mpg then there goes the gas guzzler argument. Then all I'll have is how short angry dudes drive the biggest trucks :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

It'll depend on the fleet managers. A mild hybrid would significantly reduce their fuel costs. A more EV'ish hybrid will add nightmares for charging. We'll see.

But they said the truck acts as a generator. If it's a plugin hybrid, plug it into the generator bit, bam, free electricity!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'd be drat tempted to do the same, honestly. It'd certainly be better for towing and hauling than my WJ, and at that kind of mileage it the only question of how much more it would cost to operate than my CR-V would be down to Ford reliability.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Hybrids are also good at producing just stupid amounts of torque at close to zero RPM.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Just what we need, faster accelerating large trucks. Aren't tuned Ecoboost f150s already at 0-60 5 secs?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

Just what we need, faster accelerating large trucks. Aren't tuned Ecoboost f150s already at 0-60 5 secs?

Loaded up around 6.5. the raptor is 5.1

What is AI gonna do when an f-150 is faster and more fuel efficient than their car?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

What is AI gonna do when an f-150 is faster and more fuel efficient than their car?

What, besides buy a vehicle that actually fits me?

E: I mean I love my MSP but I'd give it up in a second for a roomy pickup truck that was faster AND more fuel efficient.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

Buy a Geo Prizm Subaru WRX Mazda Miata BMW 540i Ecoboost F150!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

chupacabraTERROR posted:

:same:

I get 30-32 mpg every tank in my 6. If I could get an F150 to match that, you bet your rear end I'd have one. Having a bed without sacrificing mileage would be awesome.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This is just like Demolition Man but instead of Taco Bell it's F150s

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still would want a Ranger-sized truck versus a current F150 sized truck, even at 30MPG

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ill still be in something thats actually comfortable and fun

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PCOS Bill posted:

I still would want a Ranger-sized truck versus a current F150 sized truck, even at 30MPG

I'm vain enough to drive around my kei van all the time so I'd probably drive around a kei truck before an F150 but if Ford does things like we are talking about who can you possible fault for getting an F150? Cheap, powerful, fast and useful.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Powershift posted:

I'm just sayin, the raptor has 450hp and 510ftlbs. Drop the 4x4 stuff. put a 100hp hub motor a side up front. slip some 325 wide rubber on all 4 corners under the bulgy raptor fenders in a RC/5.5 box.

slap a lightning badge on it

every guy driving a plain jane F-150 hybrid will imagine they're driving a lightning.

Then put a cage in the back and sell it to the police as the new police interceptor?

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

ill still be in something thats actually comfortable and fun

Trucks are already quite plusg comfortable

A lightened, lowered rwd/awd F-150 with 400+ hp and magnaride shocks would be fun

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

my kei van

Did you make a thread about this? Super interested in the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I feel claustrophobic in trucks because they just don't fit in so many places.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I feel claustrophobic in trucks because they just don't fit in so many places.

Yeah my knees touch the dash on the passenger seat of a chevy 1500 where my veloster turbo has much more room

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

butterbar posted:

Then put a cage in the back and sell it to the police as the new police interceptor?

The police are getting hybrid interceptors, too, both models.

I doubt anybody would be sad if they dropped the taurus, the exploder seems perfect for police duty. car-like enough to chase down baddies, SUV like enough to stick a bunch of poo poo in the back and stuff jerks into the back without wanging their head off the door.

They might be doing the same thing as mercedes with the alternator/generator/starter all 1 device between the engine and transmission.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah my knees touch the dash on the passenger seat of a chevy 1500 where my veloster turbo has much more room

I'm not talking about the inside, I'm talking about the outside. It makes me feel claustrophobic to squeeze into parking spaces or narrow side roads.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

I'm not talking about the inside, I'm talking about the outside. It makes me feel claustrophobic to squeeze into parking spaces or narrow side roads.
Obvious solution: don't live is sense urban areas. Suburbia has plenty of space for trucks to live in comfortably.

Smart cars make sense in cities and are stupid for suburbs. Trucks make sense is the suburbs and are stupid for cities. It's almost like both should be sold and embraced depending on where people live and how they enjoy their time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I live in suburbia and it's all still too close. If I had a buck for every F150 hanging 4 feet into the lane in every parking lot I visit, I could have retired a decade ago.

poo poo may work in Texas, but stuff in the northeast just isn't setup for it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do you like door dings? Parking spaces are getting smaller too, even at suburban Wal Marts but especially in "big city" garages.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Christobevii3 posted:

Are you 9' tall?

The new F150 may be the most comfortable vehicle I've sat in that wasn't a super luxo barge. God drat is that truck nice.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
No? I'm 6'3'? The dash in the passenger seat has less room than my 97 ranger did. Also, yes the truck is huge as gently caress to park anywhere in south Louisiana wtf.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Did you make a thread about this? Super interested in the process.

I did although I made one on reddit too that had (naturally) a bunch more responses and much more info regarding what it's actually like to get one. I've had it since March and it owns just as hard now as it did then. I can answer any questions you have with what my experience was like. Now that it's snowbird season I've been getting way more attention.

That we're all talking about size and what it's like to drive trucks around in a statement that won't surprise anyone having a kei vehicle in a city is ace as all hell because you can't fill in a spot enough to even get door dings. No tall people though 5'9" is about the confortable limit.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ilkhan posted:

Wireless charging systems are being specifically targeted at fleets for exactly this reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Powershift posted:

What is that sound

Its the sound of ten fighter jets

Its the sound of more boost than god

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KakerMix posted:

I did although I made one on reddit too that had (naturally) a bunch more responses and much more info regarding what it's actually like to get one. I've had it since March and it owns just as hard now as it did then. I can answer any questions you have with what my experience was like. Now that it's snowbird season I've been getting way more attention.

That we're all talking about size and what it's like to drive trucks around in a statement that won't surprise anyone having a kei vehicle in a city is ace as all hell because you can't fill in a spot enough to even get door dings. No tall people though 5'9" is about the confortable limit.

My friend is a touch over six feet and daily drives a Daihatsu Midget II. That thing has the cutest little Blazzaks on in winter. Getting parts is a bitch, though. I've only driven it once, but it's a total blast. Sure, you're not going to get on a highway with it, but locally it's phenomenal.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

To my dismay, not a hatchback in sight. loving Subaru.
http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=1067&mid=117&allImage=1&teaser=subaru-debuts-2018-wrx-wrx-sti-performance-comfort

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Pretty sure Subaru had some kind of upgrade in the works for the 2018 MY, but then Ford debuted the Focus RS and they just said :eng99::bang: and went back to the drawing board.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cadillac is bring out a "car as a service" type thing. Basically you pay $1500 a month on a month to month subscription and always have whatever cadillac you want in your driveway, and when you want to switch they come and change it out. They cover insurance/rego/maintinence.

https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#benefits-slide2

That means you can have a manual ATS-V and then punch some stuff into the app and say you want a CTS-V for a while and if you want to go skiing you can call in an escalade. with 18 free swaps a year.

I would imagine most luxury vehicles you lose more than $18k in first year depreciation without factoring in maintinence or insurance.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Cadillac is bring out a "car as a service" type thing. Basically you pay $1500 a month on a month to month subscription and always have whatever cadillac you want in your driveway, and when you want to switch they come and change it out. They cover insurance/rego/maintinence.

https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#benefits-slide2

That means you can have a manual ATS-V and then punch some stuff into the app and say you want a CTS-V for a while and if you want to go skiing you can call in an escalade. with 18 free swaps a year.

I would imagine most luxury vehicles you lose more than $18k in first year depreciation without factoring in maintinence or insurance.

Very interesting concept. Too expensive for me of course, but as someone interested in the concept of a lease with the huge advantage of being month-to-month, it would be nice. You mentioned the CTS-V. I see in the fine print you can have the CTS-V for a maximum of five days 'per usage,' whatever that means.

I would love to see something like this from other and less expensive manufacturers.

Has an initiation fee, but it's only $500. I wonder if you can do it one month, cancel for a few months, then start up again without re-paying the initiation fee.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 6, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1500 seems rough. I'd do that for 800.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

euphronius posted:

36 month lease on a Escalade is 850 with 4500 down. Factor in registration and insurance and there's no way the program would fly for 800 a month.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

I would imagine in 10-20 years, you'll be able to sign up for ford or chevrolet for a couple hundred a month, and have the same thing, with the caveat that they won't have steering wheels and they won't sit in your driveway when you're not using them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it's an interesting model, and with where it's priced it probably isn't a big increase over a traditional lease + insurance for people who are swapping out the latest and greatest luxury cars every couple years already. And for that increase in cost, you now can have anything Cadillac makes. Get a CT6, XTS, or Escalade when you've got a long road trip coming up, ATS, XT5 or CTS when you're planning on staying in town, ATS-V or CTS-V when you feel like shredding someone else's tires.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kimcicle posted:

36 month lease on a Escalade is 850 with 4500 down. Factor in registration and insurance and there's no way the program would fly for 800 a month.

Escapade is the most expensive cadalliac tho by a mile right ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The cadillac CT6 has only been on sale for 10 months, and you can already find some that have lost over $15k off sticker in 4000 miles.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/689205427/overview/

Unlimited mileage and Being able to turn it into an escalade when you have family in town are nice bonuses.