Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Have you tried glasses?

They won't help. I've been legally blind since I was 4.

Anywho, that is Strange Journey down. Aleph wasn't so bad once I got some proper equipment and leveled up a bit. I can't help but feel the Seraph I was given was kind of a huge crutch but gently caress it. Between Seraph and Hachiman spamming Big Bang and my Amaterasu using Debilitate and then healing while I threw Chakra restoratives around, I claimed victory. I do want to pat myself on the back for my Source farming precautions though because I gave Amaterasu Enduring Soul to auto-revive her in case she ever dies and guess what happened.

But yeah, pretty happy ending it looks like. Very enjoyable game. I need to do NG+ someday.

I'll be starting Nocturne later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

How do you play games if you don't mind me asking

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How do you play games if you don't mind me asking

It's no problem.

I play them on my 32 in TV and by leaning in really, really close to read. I still have to do that even on a big screen so a tiny handheld screen is out of the question.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Anywho, that is Strange Journey down. Aleph wasn't so bad once I got some proper equipment and leveled up a bit. I can't help but feel the Seraph I was given was kind of a huge crutch but gently caress it. Between Seraph and Hachiman spamming Big Bang and my Amaterasu using Debilitate and then healing while I threw Chakra restoratives around, I claimed victory. I do want to pat myself on the back for my Source farming precautions though because I gave Amaterasu Enduring Soul to auto-revive her in case she ever dies and guess what happened.

But yeah, pretty happy ending it looks like. Very enjoyable game. I need to do NG+ someday.

I'll be starting Nocturne later today.

Nice job.

Nocturne is a great game, but since it is an older one, it lacks some of the convenience factors of more modern efforts. Namely, while you teach your protagonist skills in Nocturne directly, when you discard one you can't re-learn it later. This isn't generally an issue but you probably want to decide ahead of time if you want to be more of a melee character or a magic user so you don't get rid of useful skills. In particular you can learn the focus/charge ability reasonably early and it is one that is useful for many builds the whole game, so be careful not to discard or skip learning it if you want to use it.

There are also no Sources, so when you fuse demons try to get them set up with a skill set you like since it remains fixed outside of what they learn naturally.

Lastly, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this: there is a potential late game bonus for keeping the "descendants" of your first demon (Pixie) until a certain point in the Labyrinth side dungeon you can do as you progress. I believe that Pixie or anything fused with it stays in the first slot on your demon roster, so just don't discard or sacrifice anything in that slot and you can get the reward. Not a deal breaker by any means, it is just a bonus demon with a nice skill set.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Nice job.

Nocturne is a great game, but since it is an older one, it lacks some of the convenience factors of more modern efforts. Namely, while you teach your protagonist skills in Nocturne directly, when you discard one you can't re-learn it later. This isn't generally an issue but you probably want to decide ahead of time if you want to be more of a melee character or a magic user so you don't get rid of useful skills. In particular you can learn the focus/charge ability reasonably early and it is one that is useful for many builds the whole game, so be careful not to discard or skip learning it if you want to use it.

There are also no Sources, so when you fuse demons try to get them set up with a skill set you like since it remains fixed outside of what they learn naturally.

Lastly, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this: there is a potential late game bonus for keeping the "descendants" of your first demon (Pixie) until a certain point in the Labyrinth side dungeon you can do as you progress. I believe that Pixie or anything fused with it stays in the first slot on your demon roster, so just don't discard or sacrifice anything in that slot and you can get the reward. Not a deal breaker by any means, it is just a bonus demon with a nice skill set.

Thank you for the tips. I do have a couple questions now I think on it.

With SJ, I actively avoided using a FAQ as much as possible. Someone told me that isn't possible with Nocturne and that I will absolutely need a map or something for some dungeons. Is this true?

Second, how is this game on "multi-attacks"? I swear, Aleph and Gore were huge dicks because they had these huge physical attacks that were random. Sometime they were spread out among your whole party, sometimes they hit only one character and they were guaranteed to die because of it. That was kind of irritating and just wondering if Nocturne has anything similar.

I was also already warned elsewhere that the final boss has an insta-kill move that is impossible to block and trying to do so will only make them use the insta-kill on their first turn. Although, now I think on it, is there only one final boss in this game? I heard Nocturne has several endings, would have figured it'd have different final bosses like SJ does. (although it's the same final boss for 2/3 routes in SJ)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the tips. I do have a couple questions now I think on it.

With SJ, I actively avoided using a FAQ as much as possible. Someone told me that isn't possible with Nocturne and that I will absolutely need a map or something for some dungeons. Is this true?

Second, how is this game on "multi-attacks"? I swear, Aleph and Gore were huge dicks because they had these huge physical attacks that were random. Sometime they were spread out among your whole party, sometimes they hit only one character and they were guaranteed to die because of it. That was kind of irritating and just wondering if Nocturne has anything similar.

I was also already warned elsewhere that the final boss has an insta-kill move that is impossible to block and trying to do so will only make them use the insta-kill on their first turn. Although, now I think on it, is there only one final boss in this game? I heard Nocturne has several endings, would have figured it'd have different final bosses like SJ does. (although it's the same final boss for 2/3 routes in SJ)

Nah, some of the dungeons are convoluted but you just completed the game that prominently features Eridanus, you'll be OK.

All SMT games have random targeted multi-hit skills. Nocturne is no exception. You can use them too though! (Tornado is a random shot Force skill you can learn early on that is worth considering even for a physical attacker for that reason).

I don't recall the last boss of Nocturne being that bad. Unless you fully clear the optional Labyrinth and get locked into the special ending path the last boss is the same for all paths for story reasons.

Keep in mind that for many people Nocturne was their first SMT game. It isn't disproportionately brutal for the series, but at the time most folks had no experience with the series and coming to it from, say, FFX was a huge change in difficulty and expectations.

One other tip; Nocturne is one of the games in the series where main character death in battle is an instant game over. Just be wary about running with Hama/Mudo weaknesses in areas if you don't know what the enemies are going to hit you with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's no problem.

I play them on my 32 in TV and by leaning in really, really close to read. I still have to do that even on a big screen so a tiny handheld screen is out of the question.

I am impressed at your dedication, especially with RPGs and their ten billion lines of text in lovely fonts.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

It's no problem.

Just in case my post got lost at the end of the last page, and also to add actual details: you can get a New 3DS and use custom firmware with NTR CFW and stream live gameplay from your 3DS to your computer without using a capture card. It takes a bit of setup but apparently it works quite well, I'm planning to set this up myself later this week. Go to http://3ds.guide/ to install custom firmware, then you can use this guide here to setup NTR: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-3ds-screen-recording-without-a-capture-card-ntr-cfw-method.423445/

A bit of a pain in the arse but with dedication like yours I'm sure it'd be no problem :) Then you could play SMTIV and Apocalypse on a nice big monitor -- along with a host of other great RPGs on 3DS.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

irlZaphod posted:

Have you tried glasses?

There are certain forms of statutory blindness (defined as roughly vision of 20/200, yes that's two hundred, from what I've been told) that cannot be corrected by glasses.

Glasses work by using lenses to correct for deformities in the lens of the eye. If your vision loss has nothing to do with the lens of your eye, they won't help.

Vision problems of that type are also quite nasty because people who suffer from it are also vulnerable to the standard vision loss of age, which "is" guaranteed to happen by roughly 40. However, that is based on the lens of the eye and can be corrected for by glasses.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

thorsilver posted:

Just in case my post got lost at the end of the last page, and also to add actual details: you can get a New 3DS and use custom firmware with NTR CFW and stream live gameplay from your 3DS to your computer without using a capture card. It takes a bit of setup but apparently it works quite well, I'm planning to set this up myself later this week. Go to http://3ds.guide/ to install custom firmware, then you can use this guide here to setup NTR: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-3ds-screen-recording-without-a-capture-card-ntr-cfw-method.423445/

A bit of a pain in the arse but with dedication like yours I'm sure it'd be no problem :) Then you could play SMTIV and Apocalypse on a nice big monitor -- along with a host of other great RPGs on 3DS.

Is there still a chance you can brick your 3ds doing this? I remember console bricking was A Thing early in the 3ds homebrew lifecycle and I wasn't sure if it still existed

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Luna Was Here posted:

Is there still a chance you can brick your 3ds doing this? I remember console bricking was A Thing early in the 3ds homebrew lifecycle and I wasn't sure if it still existed

There's always a chance if you gently caress something up, I guess, but the process is way easier now than ever before, much safer and if you follow the guide and double-check each step you'll be fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

See, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Can anyone who does tell me if the router recommendations mean I'll have to buy one of those high-end routers I've sen that go for $100-200? If that's the case, I might as well get the "professional" physical modification.

In the meantime though, Nocturne is crazy fun. The rock music seems a bit out of place though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The boss theme ends up growing on you really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

quote:

WE'LL SACRIFICE THE SON OF HEAVEN
MAN'S GREATEST GLIMPSE OF FIRE RED
OH HOW THEY'RE LOST IN OUR PRAYERS
FOR OUR GREATEST GOD
LET ME SLEEP, PLEASE. I AM A MAN, HALF-HUMAN.
I AM TIRED AS HEART AND PERSON WEAKEN, ALL IN THE NAME OF
GOD! I WILL NOT CRACK! CAN YOU HEAR THEM?
GOD! I WILL NOT CRACK! CAN YOU HEAR THEM?

e: Seems to fit the Vortex World and the Demi-Fiend's whole, uh, Demi-Fiend status pretty fine to me.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've always preferred Fierce Battle myself though.
Although it's mostly thanks to it playing for Mot and subsequently leading to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Mot is like the ultimate meme of Nocturne simply because of Beast Eye and I love it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've never seen Mot chain Beast Eye and I feel like I'm missing out.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I think he only does it if you don't cast buffs/debuffs. I don't know if this is true or not but I heard he's set to use his turn casting Dekunda and will then only use Marakaja instead of Beast Eye if he had to use Dekunda and only goes ham on Beast Eye if you didn't debuff him

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
That seems to check out, by the time I hit Mot I always start off battles with buffs/debuffs and I never had trouble with getting Beast Eye'd, IIRC.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
From what I've seen, I think Beast Eye might be a move Mot can randomly use, unlike everyone else with Beast/Dragon Eye, who use it under extremely specific circumstances. Might come out more often because of that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Koro-chan just joined me in P3P :3: :woof:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember that somehow I got to Mot without a single demon capable of hitting his weakness. I ended up winning via multiple demons with energy drain spells literally draining him of MP and then HP.

He doesn't do much when he has no mana.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

irlZaphod posted:

Koro-chan just joined me in P3P :3: :woof:

Koro-chan is a good boy

Kinda redundant if you're already running Junpei but I think he has a few instant kill spells (I might be misremembering tho)

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

See, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Can anyone who does tell me if the router recommendations mean I'll have to buy one of those high-end routers I've sen that go for $100-200? If that's the case, I might as well get the "professional" physical modification.

In the meantime though, Nocturne is crazy fun. The rock music seems a bit out of place though.

No, if you have any relatively recent router it should be fine. Especially if you plug your computer into the router via ethernet cable rather than wifi.

All you're doing is streaming two tiny screens between devices, probably 1/10th the pixels of streaming an HD game via Remote Play or Steam in-home streaming, which plenty of people do every day on average routers without issue.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Koro-chan is a good boy

Kinda redundant if you're already running Junpei but I think he has a few instant kill spells (I might be misremembering tho)
Should I be using Aigis? She seems p good although all her attacks use HP instead of SP which is kind of annoying. It's one thing about the game, it really limits you from using physical skills too much.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Should I be using Aigis? She seems p good although all her attacks use HP instead of SP which is kind of annoying. It's one thing about the game, it really limits you from using physical skills too much.

I had her on buff duty by the time I got to endgame. She's got some good Phys moves and Orgia Mode can be useful if you wanna wrap up a fight quickly, but she gets some really good buff moves by endgame

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Koro-chan is a good boy

Nah, Koro was the group's Mudo user.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

There is a degree of overlap between Koromaru and Junpei that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Koromaru wins that comparison by virtue of:

1. Is not Junpei
2. Has Mudo skills, as mentioned above
3. Is not Junpei
4. Is really fast and therefore a good dodgetank
5. Is not Junpei
6. Has the most HP out of everyone (which is semi-offset by having the least SP as a result, but neither of them are good mages so whatever)
7. Is a Good Dog and Best Friend

There's also an overlap between Ken and Akihiko both having Zio spells but uhh one of them is Ken so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koromaru is a weird character for the tone of that game and also Junpei rocks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Koromaru is brought into the game to be nothing other than a dog and even for video game and anime dogs he sucks.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Don't talk that way about Koro-chan, your friend and buddy

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

Koromaru is a weird character for the tone of that game and also Junpei rocks

Captain Baal posted:

Koromaru is brought into the game to be nothing other than a dog and even for video game and anime dogs he sucks.

Bad opinion havers spotted

Smh if your final team isn't Ken aigis koromaru

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luna Was Here posted:

this is the worst possible opinion

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

A whole lotta bad opinions itt for sure but a final team that doesn't include Mitsuru is one of the worst.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When Koromaru does a spiral buzzsaw attack that decapitates a monster bear then we can talk about him not being nothing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Luna Was Here posted:

:hellyeah:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koromaru isn't voiced by Shuichi Ikeda and doesn't battle the Black Dog-Stars so he can't be the best JRPG doggo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
junpei is cute tho and I'm still mad that I can't kiss him

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
They should have made Junpei a comic relief social link who is always bumblesinto SEES activities but never gets what it's about.

Instead of Junpei, Yuko becomes a party member in this scenario. And there was great rejoicing. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Koromaru isn't voiced by Shuichi Ikeda and doesn't battle the Black Dog-Stars so he can't be the best JRPG doggo.

Shuichi Ikeda does however voice one of the best Persona villains tho

Randler posted:

They should have made Junpei a comic relief social link who is always bumblesinto SEES activities but never gets what it's about.

Instead of Junpei, Yuko becomes a party member in this scenario. And there was great rejoicing. :colbert:

I don't even remember Yuko's slink outside of the other dude in the tracksuit showing up a lot

The dude who's not the star slink