Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How often do you folks pawns get hired anyway? Mine got 3x so far, last one gave me something over 100k rift points (and a rock :) ).

Tips for anyone else starting out: check your storage at the inn, you'll get a bunch of armors, a monocle which sells for a ridiculous sum of money, and most importantly - a teleport stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
A rock? Wow, that's cheap. I always give a skull.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To be fair I give fish or apples, dunno what's actually desirable, and I probably don't have anything better at this point anyway.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If I run across gear for a hired pawn that's an upgrade and that me or my pawn can't use I usually send them back wearing it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Usuaully anything worth giving as a gift is something youll want to use yourself. Giving useless trash on the other hand just forces the pawn owner to sell that crap.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned giving forgeries of rotten eggs to pawns wearing the queen outfit, which is an idea that's funny as hell to me for some reason.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always send back something genuinely useful like Liquid Vim or a Staminal Drench unless the pawn sucked, who then get rotten fish. Goon pawns get Bitterblack Weapons/Armor.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Iretep posted:

Usuaully anything worth giving as a gift is something youll want to use yourself. Giving useless trash on the other hand just forces the pawn owner to sell that crap.

Maybe in endgame, but when levelling any warrior / fighter equipment was useless to me and my pawn so I figured I'd share that wealth with someone that might be able to use it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I rather just actively avoid hiring on the weird loli princess ones, maybe I should do the rotten egg instead. :D

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Loli princesses, while somewhat unfortunate to deal with, are completely hilarious to throw off a cliff and drown.

I have hired several and sent them all back with rocks. i gave the He man and Wicked witch goon pawns some good stuff i found though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the min maxer in me could never justify hiring midget characters unless they were at least incredibly fat.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Regulation Size posted:

The only time Guardian makes even a lick of sense is when you're a Sorc + Sorc dual-casting team and you're hiring other pawns to be your meat shield. Even in that case Util/Chal or Util/Miti is probably better. Same thing with Nexus, which is only marginally better than Guardian where they drag dying pawns over to you.
Guardian Util Srocs are OK, yes. That's pretty much the only exception.

Avalerion posted:

How often do you folks pawns get hired anyway? Mine got 3x so far, last one gave me something over 100k rift points (and a rock :) ).
Rocks usually mean whatever was gifted was lost in the Rift. It can happen because the host fiddled with their pawn (single saves, people often change save data for multiple characters), because YOU fiddled with your pawn (same reasons), or there were more than 3 hires - gifts start getting lost. Naturally, this doesn't account for instance where the rift servers are just going dumb. 9 times out of 10, if you get a rock, it's not because someone is deliberately being a dick.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At our level that's probably all they had, I don't mind. :D Just find the idea of pawns triumphantly handing over a rock or a fish after an epic outing genuinely funny.

Pawns in general kind of are, in a disturbing way. :downs:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 5, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Enjoy the rocks while you can because once you hit BBI levels, 4 out of 5 times your pawn will come back with nothing and the default 3 stars. At that point they almost always end up flailing around in front of Death or gaffe themselves into the brine before their player can finish using them and send them back the normal way

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress is up with death anyway, my first time going into BBI today after finishing the main campaign and the first room I enter he's just there and gibs 2 pawns so I had to walk back out

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure he always appears in that arena room the first time you go to BBI, probably to tell you BBI means business. If you leave and come back the spawns go back to normal.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Indecisive posted:

What the gently caress is up with death anyway, my first time going into BBI today after finishing the main campaign and the first room I enter he's just there and gibs 2 pawns so I had to walk back out

Death just hangs around being friendly in a few set rooms in your first run, and otherwise will randomly appear to say hi to you. He is a good friend and will go to any lengths to say hi to you and your pawns.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

That's correct, there are (I think) 3 spots where death will always appear on your first visit, plus several places where it's random.

As for what his deal is, he's there to make you poo poo yourself and run for the hills at first. He can be killed, but he's got a shitload of health and retreats after taking a bit of a pounding (unless you can chain-stun him with something like a bunch of exploding arrows). His health is persistent, though, so any damage you do carries over for the next time he says hello. Also, unless you have 100% sleep resist, you're gonna have a bad time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoy saying hi to death by giving him a Chaos Fistbump with tenfold explosive arrows

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
death is basically the entire reason you see all pawns over a certain level rocking 100% sleep resist. if you're over level like 45 or so BBI is close to the only thing you can do, and if you're gonna be rocking BBI, Death mandates 100% sleep resist.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Even with the sleep resist most pawns will still charge headfirst into his scythe like a field of retarded wheat.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

like a field of retarded wheat.

New thread title?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ajkalan posted:

I hadn't played this game in a while and I fought the Drake. I forgot that Utilitarian on a pawn with the shield-launching skill makes them stop and do nothing but try to spring you on top of the dragon (with a weak point on its chest) for who-knows-what purpose. The best is when the pawn dies to the drake's fire breath, I revive him, and I'm instantly sent flying into the air because he uses the springboard skill immediately upon revival.

Is that dragon in devilfire grove actually like, the one from the beginning of the game?

I thought it was a random spawn, I'm level 20 or so and I was planning on going to kill it once I level up ranger a bit more. Takes a while but I had it consistently taking damage without really dying so I was going to buy a bunch of curatives and then get some good pawns and grind him down. I just spoke to the duke and now I'm worried I'm going to bugger up the game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

OwlFancier posted:

Is that dragon in devilfire grove actually like, the one from the beginning of the game?

I thought it was a random spawn, I'm level 20 or so and I was planning on going to kill it once I level up ranger a bit more. Takes a while but I had it consistently taking damage without really dying so I was going to buy a bunch of curatives and then get some good pawns and grind him down. I just spoke to the duke and now I'm worried I'm going to bugger up the game.

The actual dragon is locked behind plot. The drake in Devilfire Grove is a lesser variety.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, the titular dragon is gigantic compared to the drake you find wandering around the map.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

No, it's just a random drake. You'll know when you meet the one from the beginning again.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

No, it's just a random drake. You'll know when you meet the one from the beginning again.
Yeah, that one is a runt compared to the real Dragon.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Baller Time posted:

A rock? Wow, that's cheap. I always give a skull.

Sup fellow always gives skulls buddy

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I switched my main pawn from Warrior to Fighter for a 'no hired pawns' run and now he keeps climbing on poo poo like an rear end in a top hat instead of doing anything useful. Just had to basically solo the Gazer because he just hung on its back screaming about how his attacks did nothing. Very tempted to just chuck him off a cliff and go solo instead of fixing him.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm coming back to this game after an extremely long time and all I remember of leveling is what vocation you are on level-up controls your stat growth. How important is that on a scale of "you can gimp yourself significantly so pick a playstyle and stick with it" down to "you'll never notice and it's for minmaxing tryhards, max every vocation any order you want"?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's the later.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Excellent, time to rock out, Fighter/Warrior is dull as poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If I really like a pawn they'll get healing spring water.

It's not like I don't have hundreds of bottles of the stuff :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I dunno, I kinda wish I was min-maxing some for BBI because this 50-60 level magic archer can't even scratch the second boss's paint.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Eggs are also good gifts because they are technically useful but I have dozens of the things sitting unused in storage. Maybe someone else will want to turn them golden.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

I dunno, I kinda wish I was min-maxing some for BBI because this 50-60 level magic archer can't even scratch the second boss's paint.

Eat some periapts. A few of those in a tough situation will be more than enough to get you through and it's a lot better than playing as classes you don't enjoy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I like playing Magick Archer just for the basic ice bolt skill you start with. I got a ring to upgrade it to 9 bolts and it does really well vs anything not strong vs ice. Eliminators basically get stunlocked, it's hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pierson posted:

I'm coming back to this game after an extremely long time and all I remember of leveling is what vocation you are on level-up controls your stat growth. How important is that on a scale of "you can gimp yourself significantly so pick a playstyle and stick with it" down to "you'll never notice and it's for minmaxing tryhards, max every vocation any order you want"?

You'll probably notice. Most of the people saying you won't are right... once your dude is level 100+ and you have a ton of BBI gear. Until then your stats make up an extremely large part of your damage output and you won't be able to scratch hard enemies/bosses without chugging periapts which I find incredibly tedious and boring.

Like leveling 1-10 as mage and then 10-76 as a Sorcerer with tier 1 BBI stuff I still have times where my magic feels anemic or is only barely good enough to kill BBI stuff. I turned into a warrior for a bit, stole my pawn's gear, and I couldn't even scratch most poo poo.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tarezax posted:

I like playing Magick Archer just for the basic ice bolt skill you start with. I got a ring to upgrade it to 9 bolts and it does really well vs anything not strong vs ice. Eliminators basically get stunlocked, it's hilarious.

Basically the only way to make fighting condemned gorecyclopses bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

Basically the only way to make fighting condemned gorecyclopses bearable.

It's also pretty fun to set yourself on fire and stand on one's head, but that's also exclusive to magic archers.