Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tran posted:

Since when did the Widowmakers start ordering mechs from Quikcell?

Hey, when you take large swaths of territory and need to garrison them in a hurry...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Is this a record?

7 Mechs in one turn, +1 point of Elementals.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So like, the thread is set up in a fashion that makes the players mostly win, which is good and correct as far as I'm concerned, but goddamn but has this been a massacre so far. the battle armor is working wonders, and the players have had some drat good rolls.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sometimes the dice just decide that triple crit CT TACs happen!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The battle armor is working well also because the opposing battle armor was mostly waving its arms and yelling "hey, get down from there" as our forces tore their mechs apart quite literally.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Octatonic posted:

So like, the thread is set up in a fashion that makes the players mostly win, which is good and correct as far as I'm concerned, but goddamn but has this been a massacre so far. the battle armor is working wonders, and the players have had some drat good rolls.

We've been on a roll recently. There were some back to back failures last year.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, a good portion of the early thread was PTN's dice going brutally in the other direction. Plus the level of play gets a little better over time as people get more used to the system and have seen more battles.

The real thing to take from it is to not assume that the fights themselves are easy when people are rolling well, because man those dice are waiting for a moment of inattentiveness to wreck Goonlance's poo poo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah I didn't know counterswarming attacks were a thing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Well my fellow southern peeps, I'm heading northeast.

I'm probably going to jumpjet to hex 2025 (facing 2024) and fire my iHLL and PC at the Mad Dog D next turn. Assuming I don't die or lose my left torso, I'm going to alpha him in the back the turn after that.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Sometimes the dice just decide that triple crit CT TACs happen!

Well now we know which mission those dice voted for!!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but in mech form. :eyepop:

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
huh. hot dice.

time to head south and backshot a summoner.

sad my kick missed though.

do we all agree its time to head south? I dont think we can save the ebon jaguar.

If so, we have a good shot at taking out at least the summoner, the locust, and the black lanner this turn. we should pay attention to turn order to make sure we're putting in contingent orders if they are needed.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Mood: Exhilarated"

Well, that's one way to describe the feeling of having your mech turn into a giant bowling ball.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Centurium posted:

do we all agree its time to head south?

We already killed everything in the south though. :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
For my money the poor fellow who lost his mech trying to jump on a wall is still the unluckiest mechwarrior.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, this battle is quickly turning into another Airfield mission. The sheer ratio of Widowmaker 'Mechs killed to Goonstar 'Mechs lost is astounding. So far we have lost only a single 'Mech to an unlucky headshot, while 15 of their units lay broken amidst the snow and ice.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

“We shall meet you on the Ikuta Glacier, on the southern continent. As you have chosen to challenge the entirety of the 66th, we shall meet you and your foolish Supernova with our entire Cluster! I look forward to crushing you under the feet of my Mad Dog so perhaps you should save us both the trouble and fall into a crevasse before the fighting begins quiaff?. Bargained well and done?”

Oh, the delicious irony in hindsight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rorahusky posted:

Man, this battle is quickly turning into another Airfield mission. The sheer ratio of Widowmaker 'Mechs killed to Goonstar 'Mechs lost is astounding. So far we have lost only a single 'Mech to an unlucky headshot, while 15 of their units lay broken amidst the snow and ice.

My impression was the players were always coming into this one with the upper hand since they have the strategic initiative and they're ambushing the enemy with air support and elementals, and the challenge in this mission was always going to be to manage to do their touchdown dance and get 100% Humiliation without accidentally throwing away the fight in pursuit of individual glory objectives.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Jesus, you guys are just a chipper shredder to these poor Widowmaker 'Mechs.

If someone can get a back shot on that Wolf Spider it only has 3 Structure left in its CT and the back armor is hanging open. I think the Night Gyr still has a round of ammo left in its ATM even via dumping, so that could be a good target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Krumbsthumbs posted:

If someone can get a back shot on that Wolf Spider it only has 3 Structure left in its CT and the back armor is hanging open. I think the Night Gyr still has a round of ammo left in its ATM even via dumping, so that could be a good target.

The ATM that was destroyed and is the very reason it's dumping ammo?

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Jesus, you guys are just a chipper shredder to these poor Widowmaker 'Mechs.

I'm taking the Executioner up there to take some shots on the Wolf Spider. I'm going to blow some big holes though, not crit seek him.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The ATM that was destroyed and is the very reason it's dumping ammo?

Welp, that's what I get for reading the entire set at once when I'm half asleep.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think this may be the most brutal update I've read yet. Fantastic stuff. I believe we all wanted to see some serious humiliation (in two votes, no less) and hot drat is PTN delivering.

Voyager I posted:

The Hunchback IIC pilot sighs deeply and resigns themselves to living through another battle.

:lol: this is my favorite reply

Back Hack posted:

How else am I going to out drink you booze hounds if I don't start maintaining a constant buzz 24/7.

and this explains so much about you

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's probably a good thing I'm completely incapable of keeping `Mechs anything on model or I probably would've started one of those 'choose your own adventure' type threads. Or started a bad webcomic. :v:

VVV Gotta get lines down to put real lines down on top of them. I just couldn't be bothered because it's going to look terrible. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cake Wars: Giant Robot Edition.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished a few more bootleg Warhansa `Mechs.

The King Crab was one that needed a lot of touch-ups before I could paint it, so it took me a while to finish.

Review: It's better than the official IWM model, but that's not saying much. The King Crab has always looked like a pile of poo poo and PGI's over-industrialized smiley face with eyebrows is no exception. It's got another problem that isn't obvious (since it towers over the IWM model), but the King Crab is also tiny.

Tiny!

Two of those `Mechs are 100 tons, the other is 85. PGI's Stalker has always been oversized but this is just a bit too off.

My review of the Stalker is: I got a bad one. I'm not sure if I'd risk another but none of the other Warhansa kits I've gotten have had as many inclusions, errors, or problems. Most of them are safe--but avoid the Stalker.

Here's the whole Capellan lance for reference:

The Black Knight is by far my favorite of the lot, with the Raven a close second. I'd like the Raven more if they hadn't included the paddles around the feet, but if you're going to do any basing at all those are easy to hide.

Now, on to the new models you didn't know I had:

I decided to do a lance from every great house (except Rasalhague, they don't have any good paint schemes), and since I've already got the Capellans and the Draconis Combine squared away, the Lyrans were next. Just for Defiance Industries: it's the 2nd Donegal Guards!

I really like the Banshee. It's basically the -3S, without the shoulder-mounted SRM. It's well put together and solid, and my only complaint is that it doesn't have a really distinct profile (a problem that all of PGI's designs share: they are indistinct boxes with (often box-shaped) guns in them). The metallic blue paint I chose doesn't show up well on my cell phone camera, but I still don't have a working lighting set-up for pictures (or a real camera) so these is the best picture I can manage at the moment. It's recognizably a Banshee, which is more than I can say about the Black Knight.

It's also proportional to the Atlas, which is really nice.

The Griffin's another good one, if you like the PGI redesigns I'd recommend it. It's got good details and it doesn't have any kludgy bits that are too thin to paint. A solid design, and recognizably a Griffin. I'd bring it to tabletop.

I loving hate the PGI Thunderbolt. What's that? We're gonna model the LRM pod on the wrong side? Sure, that's cool. It's too fat, and the four-fingered Claws make it look a bit like a smaller Awesome, but at the same time it kinda looks 'melty' and 'wrong' to me. Especially when you compare it to...

I never thought I'd ever say this about the Zeus, but it's the best. This is the best of the Warhansa models I've put together by far: the arm and leg pegs are perfectly sized and the arm holes are deep enough that they won't fill in by accident. It's distinctly a Zeus and it even comes with two left arms in case you wanted your autocannon to look like one of PGI's twiggy rotary-barreled pieces of garbage (I don't). I would highly recommend the Warhansa Zeus, it's very nice.

Here's the whole lance.

I wish my cell phone didn't make them look black, they're actually a bright and shiny metallic blue. :saddowns:

And here's the current standing, in order of preference:
Highly Recommended:
1st place) Zeus
2nd place) Black Knight
3rd place) Warhammer
4) Awesome
5) Banshee

Recommended:
6) Atlas
7) Spider
8) Griffin
9) Ebon Jaguar
10) Stormcrow
11) Raven

Okay:
12) Timber Wolf
13) Hellbringer

Not Recommended:
14) King Crab
15) Thunderbolt
16) Stalker
17) Warhawk (it's a technically competent sculpt that had some shortcuts taken that make it complete garbage)

I still have nine more to paint and review.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 5, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Back Hack posted:

We already killed everything in the south though. :v:

I think the idea is to bring the enemy mechs in the north closer to the guns of the friendlies down under.

That said, my boys in Elemental Point 4 might appreciate some help against Afreet Point, considering that they'll be dismounting right into some claws, unless they can jump to another hex instead (I can't find specific rules about dismounting from destroyed mechs, so I assume the dismount is the same as a voluntary one). Too bad they can't cling onto mechs and shoot down.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lookin pretty slick there. Wish they had a Banshee-S sculpt but looking like a Banshee is part of the -3S's revolutionary stealth system.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So the OpFor are just going to throw their hands up and leave, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Lookin pretty slick there. Wish they had a Banshee-S sculpt but looking like a Banshee is part of the -3S's revolutionary stealth system.

I don't know why taking a picture away from my lightbox got me a better quality cellphone pic, but this is what they actually look like. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 5, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow that blue looks way way better in the second picture, yea.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It looks like Alpha Legion in those pics. But yeah, it looks a LOT better in the second set of the pics than the first. Crazy.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I love the Zeus and it's round shoulder things. It's recognisable without being goofy. Really good paintjob too - those Lyrans have style.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't know why taking a picture away from my lightbox got me a better quality cellphone pic, but this is what they actually look like. :psyduck:

A lightbox only works if you have really bright lights. Otherwise, it turns into a shadow box.

You're probably better off just taking photos outside in direct sunlight, unless you have multiple very bright full-spectrum bulbs shining directly into the lightbox from both the front and the sides.

e. Also I think your phone's white balance is off for those light box photos, it's showing the presumably white paper as too yellow/brown.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

A lightbox only works if you have really bright lights. Otherwise, it turns into a shadow box.

Yeah, I don't have a good lighting setup yet, I've kinda put things off while I wait to replace my camera.

Outside's not going to be an option for a few months though. everything's too snow-covered which means the light's more blinding than helpful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Zeus looks fantastic.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xarbala posted:

That Zeus looks fantastic.

A single tear runs down your av's mighty face.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was one hell of a turn. At this rate you'll rack up enough humiliation points to disband the whole Clan.

Considering you only need another 4% humiliation to win the map (not that you should get sloppy in your mop-up turns) what sort of consequence could this action have? Would a brutal round of humiliation discourage inter-clan infighting by scaring Widowmakers away from future supply raids, or encourage it in an attempt to avenge the insult? Considering the total material losses to both clans from both this battle and the raid that prompted it, there could be some loss of momentum for the invasion - one less cluster the Sphere has to worry about.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dolash posted:

That was one hell of a turn. At this rate you'll rack up enough humiliation points to disband the whole Clan.

Considering you only need another 4% humiliation to win the map (not that you should get sloppy in your mop-up turns) what sort of consequence could this action have? Would a brutal round of humiliation discourage inter-clan infighting by scaring Widowmakers away from future supply raids, or encourage it in an attempt to avenge the insult? Considering the total material losses to both clans from both this battle and the raid that prompted it, there could be some loss of momentum for the invasion - one less cluster the Sphere has to worry about.

Humiliation and victory are probably separate conditions: it probably just won't matter that much if we die after the humiliation rating hits 100%. Then again, Clanners are dumb, so dying like that may be considered better than living, even without a Bloodname. I'd rather see as many people on our side as possible live long enough for a (potential) second chance at one, though ;).

Incidentally, what are the conditions for increasing the "Completely destroy a crippled enemy"? For instance, Can we destroy the Wolf Spider to fulfill the condition, even though that mech doesn't have a pilot; or do we need to be dicks? Honestly, I'm kind of surprised the Fire Moth doesn't count for that, 'cause that poor bastard got toasted something awful. While I'm at it, who's got he ability called in the fighters?

Also, I've loved the Black Knight mech ever since piloting one in Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, so it's nice to see it get some love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I asked PTN about that one a couple turns back:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=136166&perpage=40&pagenumber=178#post467535313

So blow off a leg, or blow off all the guns (first), and then after that happens completely destroy it. So the Hellbringer would count, but that would be totally counterproductive because you get 10% for leaving a crippled enemy officer alive.

I think the Crimson Langur would count- It got legged by the Wraiths, and so it's crippled, but not totally destroyed. Southern Star should be able to totally obliterate it while they head north to deal with that Mad Dog that's between them and the northern group.

(If/when you do open fire on it though, it, and any other legged but still otherwise functional mechs will probably try and prop themselves up with an arm and start shooting again though- So might want to be careful with this one)

• Locked thread