Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone who spends more than an hour or two in a car per day also probably finds it a godsend. My dad drives to a ton of different sites for his job, having uninterrupted radio feeds all day for him is super cool.

I used to have it in a company car, and I liked having it before I started listening to podcasts, so I'm not saying it's worthless (though there's no way in the world I'd pay for it myself). I'm just saying I don't think most people who are target customers for Howl have ever paid for radio before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone who spends more than an hour or two in a car per day also probably finds it a godsend. My dad drives to a ton of different sites for his job, having uninterrupted radio feeds all day for him is super cool.

Any torrents up yet for old Earwolf podcasts? Since they were free forever + a year beyond when they said they were putting them beyond a paywall, I can't see this being a problem.
i had archived all the shows i cared about, then when they never put up the paywall i deleted them for space.

help me please

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eww. I just noticed some downloads in my iTunes that are essentially "The full archive of xyz can now be found on Howl Premium" For a couple of podcasts. Kinda gross feeling.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i would not have a problem with any of this if the howl app wasn't absolute garbage for finding or playing poscasts

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cams posted:

i would not have a problem with any of this if the howl app wasn't absolute garbage for finding or playing poscasts

It's literally DRM that makes you pay to have a product that's less functional than it was when it was free.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I listen to all my podcasts on my iPod Classic.

So now instead of listening to podcasts on my iPod for free, they want to me to pay money for content I can no longer use on my device of choice. Makes sense.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Howl app works fine for me

This post sponsored by midroll llc

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HateTheInternet posted:

I listen to all my podcasts on my iPod Classic.

So now instead of listening to podcasts on my iPod for free, they want to me to pay money for content I can no longer use on my device of choice. Makes sense.

You can pay, find the MP3 addresses in the html, download them, apply 'remember position' in iTunes and use them on your device.

edit: I can't stop listening to the With Special Guest PFT+Scott anniversary show.
"Your kisses are like da bomb to me."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Best Show's recent Patreon route seems like a much better fit for podcasts. Tom is asking for help in order to replace ads and support the show instead of demanding it in order to charge for previously free content.

Earwolf has gotten too big. It was a fairly tight-knit community, but corporate interests are controlling the future of its content.

I'm disappointed with the accusations of people wanting to freeload off of old content, which defeats the original spirit of Earwolf podcasts. They are niche shows that do not require a large budget to produce. The guests are not paid, and the hosts are barely paid. The comments made by Sean & Hayes and by Howard Kremer on their respective shows indicate that there hasn't been a huge change in how much hosts get paid since the launch of Howl. Their comments are not reassuring.

The few times earlier on where Scott and others asked for donations were poorly thought out. They promised shout-outs on the shows, and then promptly forgot to do those shout-outs on CBB. It's like they never wanted to give a donation model a fair chance to succeed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This might just be the way I listen to podcasts, but is "check out all the other shows on X Network" really work for anyone? I'm not browsing the Maximum Fun network for other shows because they carry The Greatest Generation, nor do I look at the Slideshow network because I listen to We Hate Movies.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I've listened to MBMBAM spinoff podcasts and went from The Flophouse to Jordan Jesse Go and a few others .

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MisterBibs posted:

This might just be the way I listen to podcasts, but is "check out all the other shows on X Network" really work for anyone? I'm not browsing the Maximum Fun network for other shows because they carry The Greatest Generation, nor do I look at the Slideshow network because I listen to We Hate Movies.

I mean if I like a few shows on a podcast network I'll be more likely to check out a new show on their network but really I'm not loyal to any podcasting network.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

One of the first podcasts I listened to was the Jordan Jesse Go archive. As a result of that show's loose format it also kind of chronicles the development of the Max Fun network, so that got me pretty invested in checking out a few of their other shows once I got up to date (MBMBAM, Throwing Shade, etc).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I mean if I like a few shows on a podcast network I'll be more likely to check out a new show on their network but really I'm not loyal to any podcasting network.

The style of humor on Earwolf seems much more consistent to me than on any other podcasting network. Maybe it's because there are so many shared guests across shows, but CBB, I4H, and Spontaneanation play in roughly the same type of comedy. Heck, even Hollywood Handbook, Pistol Shrimps Radio, and a number of others don't deviate too far. Though I suppose there are quite a few podcasts on Earwolf that I forget exist and have zero interest in, so maybe my thinking is just selective.

Though Earwolf scooped up NNF, PSR, and Superego which were my main non-Earwolf comedy podcasts. Though I guess that just goes back to the shared guests idea.

e: Hey! I4H actually had an interesting musical guest. That makes two with Dan Deacon!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2017

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I'm still able to download 2y old episodes of HH on podcast addict. :iiam:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I found out about Greatest Gen thru ads on other Max Fun shows, so it kinda works I guess. WHM never plugs other shows at all, and as a consequence of that I don't know anything about the Sideshow network. So I guess it just depends on the willingness of networks to promote other shows.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

yorkinshire posted:

I'm still able to download 2y old episodes of HH on podcast addict. :iiam:

Maybe they've only put the good podcasts behind the paywall. :cheeky:

But really they may keep some podcasts out there to help build up some more listeners/interest? "I can't listen to old CBBs anymore I guess I'll check out HH"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they said on the earwolf forum at some point that they're not sure what to do about Hollywood Handbook/Spontaneanation since their fans like the ads so I'd guess that's why neither are behind the paywall

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Nope. There was a post by Shannon at Midroll or someone else with equal authority who said that more podcasts would be put behind the paywall soon. The Hollywood Handbook archives will be taken away soon. The Reality Show Show was already taken down in this first batch.

Edit: Actually, who knows at this point? They were silent on the Howl paywall for several months before actually doing anything. They may never get to it, or it could happen in the next few days. They don't care.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 5, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I4H also isn't behind the paywall, and I can guarantee you nobody likes those ads.

I'm guessing it's either a) more of a slow rollout where everything will eventually be behind the paywall, or b) they're putting the most popular shows behind the paywall and the others can act as an advertisement to funnel new folks to the bigger shows and Howl.

Or, I guess, c) they have no idea what they're doing and scrambling. Probably that one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It was kinda a let down seeing the ADPPP have a new episode indicated and it just be a paywall notification.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing that all "completed" podcasts like RSS, Mike Detective, and ADPPP are behind the paywall.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Ape of Naples posted:

Maybe they've only put the good podcasts behind the paywall. :cheeky:

personally I think this post is:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............. wrong!!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'm guessing that all "completed" podcasts like RSS, Mike Detective, and ADPPP are behind the paywall.

This is such a kick in the balls. I had those shows on 'don't delete' in iTunes so luckily I still have my copies, but seeing a new episode notification only to have it be 'lol you gotta pay for this poo poo now!' is pretty lovely.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, for a split second I thought there was a new Mike Detective. Hopefully they don't think to take these down:

"Season 1" of Mike Detective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWjnBFy56qc

136 episodes of Affirmation Nation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVKYsMxneo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The thing that is bad is how thy bungled the roll out and then the app was and is trash. If they appeared as if they knew what they were doing it might actually make me want to subscribe.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Unofficial Howl.fm RSS Feeds

If you subscribe to Howl you can use this link to get RSS feeds of the shows and integrate them into any other podcast app.

I don't mind paying for Howl, but if they ever block this site without adding their own RSS feeds, I'd cancel it in a second.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The style of humor on Earwolf seems much more consistent to me than on any other podcasting network. Maybe it's because there are so many shared guests across shows, but CBB, I4H, and Spontaneanation play in roughly the same type of comedy. Heck, even Hollywood Handbook, Pistol Shrimps Radio, and a number of others don't deviate too far. Though I suppose there are quite a few podcasts on Earwolf that I forget exist and have zero interest in, so maybe my thinking is just selective.

Though Earwolf scooped up NNF, PSR, and Superego which were my main non-Earwolf comedy podcasts. Though I guess that just goes back to the shared guests idea.

e: Hey! I4H actually had an interesting musical guest. That makes two with Dan Deacon!

Feral Audio is the most consistently in line with Earwolf as it's run by their former OG engineer Dustin and like Earwolf is basically audio UCB.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I just don't see how the howl.fm model survives without going really big and scooping up the archives of a large number of the popular podcasts. I've mentioned it in other posts, but splicing new ads into old episodes seems like a far more viable model. How many old episodes have ads for lovely sites/product/promos that don't even exist anymore.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

gently caress you, Mr Scripps!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

n8r posted:

I just don't see how the howl.fm model survives without going really big and scooping up the archives of a large number of the popular podcasts. I've mentioned it in other posts, but splicing new ads into old episodes seems like a far more viable model. How many old episodes have ads for lovely sites/product/promos that don't even exist anymore.

That would require organization as things are recorded, and that's the best time for engineers to watch basketball.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

n8r posted:

iirc they mentioned that part of the reason they started Howl is because new ads in old episodes isn't worth the time it takes to implement?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paul Scheer is calling out the paywall at the top of the latest HDTGM.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Srice posted:

iirc they mentioned that part of the reason they started Howl is because new ads in old episodes isn't worth the time it takes to implement?

It could be done automatically without issue. I wrote a single page script that puts together slices of audio, recombines them into a single valid file, then offers it for download. It took less than a day and I had zero idea what I was doing beforehand.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think you might be overestimating the abilities of whoever made howl

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Paul Scheer is calling out the paywall at the top of the latest HDTGM.

Oh wow, he really is! It may be the first time I've ever heard him being serious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. I was expecting it to be some HH-style ribbing, but nope. Just straight-up called the whole mess out. From what it sounds like there might be some wiggle room in terms of alternate models coming down the pipeline, though.

I'm pretty sure the thing that got me 100% on board Hollywood Handbook was them just outright insulting the Howl app and paywall for months and months with seemingly no consequences whatsoever.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I just listened to Paul's response. Jason, June, and Paul weren't even aware that the paywall was going up at this point, and they want to figure out a better solution for their listeners. Who the gently caress is in control of Howl?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The sinister Mr Scripps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The CEO of Scripps is Rich Boehne.