Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
They're here!

A new year, a new excuse to post this bit of Elite inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShCCSF9m-7M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

StarkRavingMad posted:

It turns out that Skimmers are distant relatives to Thargoids. Also Thargoids have time distortion powers, and the instant they see you, they rollback all money and assets you acquired from killing Skimmers, out of vengeance.

I figure the same tech that pulls you out of hyperspace will also make any combat loggers persistent. FD thinks of everything.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
loving lol how can you possibly screw up the thing you've been building up for the past two years with a bounty hunter dropping in the same instance, there is no :frontear: big enough :roflolmao:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/DP%20Sayre/video/25337808

Maybe it'll incentivise them to fix it. Nah let's be real,

code:

if not thargoid:
  return true

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Their artists though must be the only ones getting paid as usual, visuals and sound are on point.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about reinstalling but then again unless the Thargoids are like galaxy threatening, they're probably gonna be relegated to just Combat Zones while the game continues on as usual, while avenues to making money are narrowed and the game made less Fun

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
How do I buy this game so I don't waste money or gently caress up and be blocked access to content?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

How do I buy this game so I don't waste money or gently caress up and be blocked access to content?

Uhhh don't buy this game

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Went alien hunting, and found one. Then a Thargoid interdicted me.

https://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs/v/112428227

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Angrymog posted:

close encounters of the goon kind

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Phi230 posted:

close encounters of the goon kind

"First contact! We've found alien life! What wonders will..."
"Shoot it!"
"Shoot it!"
"Shoot iiiiiiit!"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mailer posted:

"First contact! We've found alien life! What wonders will..."
"Shoot it!"
"Shoot it!"
"Shoot iiiiiiit!"

No other way of interacting in the game. It's like the barnacles and Braben going 'oh wow typical humans shooting at things they don't understand' yeah no poo poo guy, we can't do anything but shoot at it as there isn't any other interaction. We can't send out a science team of hail it or any of that poo poo so of course we are going to shoot it.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Hello Thargoids!

its me i'm the human

Ok now I have to kill you.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Get ready for months of this exact random "cutscene" and maybe something else happening sometime..... maybe.
I agree that the mechanical design and sound of the thing is amazingly good, it just better not be the only new thing coming in the next few weeks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dreadwroth posted:

Get ready for months of this exact random "cutscene" and maybe something else happening sometime..... maybe.
I agree that the mechanical design and sound of the thing is amazingly good, it just better not be the only new thing coming in the next few weeks.

It will be the catnip to keep the hordes happy until they finally finish season 2. Whenever that is.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The thagroid thing got my interest to log into the game.

I figured hey I did like 5000 missions for the federation on draconis, i bet i can get a bunch of ranks up.

Went to a fed station, scummed the board for a while, got a nice assassinate pirate guy mission the next system over.

Except he wouldnt be there for another 30 minutes and I just had to wait.

:suicide:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

hakimashou posted:

The thagroid thing got my interest to log into the game.

I figured hey I did like 5000 missions for the federation on draconis, i bet i can get a bunch of ranks up.

Went to a fed station, scummed the board for a while, got a nice assassinate pirate guy mission the next system over.

Except he wouldnt be there for another 30 minutes and I just had to wait.

:suicide:

You can either use a Adv D-Scanner or scan the Nav Beacon to get started on it sooner.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Angrymog posted:

"Shut up, !"

Like that video a lot.

edit: also if I saw that yellow light without knowing anything about the encounter in advance, there's a 100 percent chance I'd think I was going to die

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 6, 2017

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

do you think the thargloids will have buggies to shoot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shredder posted:

do you think the thargloids will have buggies to shoot

Thargons confirmed

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No I think we're going to have these random scans for a looong time, then maybe a second type of ship like a combat ship.
Then two CGs run by Fed/Imp to murder Tharg ships and turn in a doodad that drops rarely to a specific station.
Cannon(?) will be involved somehow, there will be a badly written GalNet "news article" too.
Fdev, hire me.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Don't be idiots like me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M4oK4QJA0I

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Great, something else to interdict me now! That sound you hear is how thargolds say "I'm going to boil you up!"

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What is happening here?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Giovanni0109 posted:

What is happening here?

A friendly base turned hostile for literally no reason.

Twice.

(Because it's technically switching from an Anarchy to Federation base--which shouldn't happen--and the player is hostile to the feds)

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I was confused as to whether or not this was a bug or what. I think I saw a video of this the other day on discord. What the heck could cause something like that to happen?

Oh yeah :frontear:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Draconis 17 appears to be at Civil War again, this may be the last hurrah before it gets patched.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

adamantium|wang posted:

Draconis 17 appears to be at Civil War again, this may be the last hurrah before it gets patched.

Hah, I finally managed to get myself out here(been really busy with life, ugh) but there doesn't seem to be any missions for me to pick up. am I missing some faction related stuff?
Also, I was stupid and didn't load up a ship with mines, is there a station near 17 D that has them?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Go go gadget 31ly hauler.

edit: Even then, it's 17 jumps from Nisgayo to 17Drac. We need better FSDs, or I need more patience. Though with a 19ish ly Clipper it took a while to hop from Khun to Nisgayo where my hauler was, and even as I write this I'm still 8 jumps out from 17Drac, and I started the game up when I saw a|w's post.

edit2: crap, I forgot to buy and store two missile racks beforehand. Nearest place that sells them looks like it's 224ly away :downs:

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 7, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm getting no missions showing up, and this is after several instance/mode scums.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What do you even need for 17drac? Can a noob with a Cobra and 3 million credits cut it or should I not bother making the trip?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The war seems to be between Jet Bridge and The Order but the planet is held by New 17 Drac :mad:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

skooma512 posted:

What do you even need for 17drac? Can a noob with a Cobra and 3 million credits cut it or should I not bother making the trip?

I made ~300mil using a ViperIV with two fixed 2b missile racks and stock shields. The problem is, you can't buy mine layers or missile racks anywhere closer than ~224ly back toward the bubble so you'll need to store them before you leave for 17Drac. To get there, strip down a Hauler and give it D grade everything except FSD, stick a fuel scoop on it so you don't scupper yourself, then set sail for the station in 17Drac. Buy your Viper, ship the missile racks from storage to 17Drac (it'll take about an hour and a half because lol my immersion). Stick the missile racks on your Viper and grab as many massacre missions from the warring faction who doesn't currently own the planetside base. Fly over to the planet, Limbo, then approach the base, stop at about 300m away then just inch closer until the skimmers pop. Fire two missiles, hit reverse (so you're back outside the 250m skimmer spawn range) and hit log out. Log back in and close the distance. Rinse, repeat until your mission log is all complete. Then you can either fly back over to the station or blow yourself up and respawn there..

However
Neither warring faction presently owns the planetside base though, as I just discovered from the system map, so it doesn't really matter.

adamantium|wang posted:

The war seems to be between Jet Bridge and The Order but the planet is held by New 17 Drac :mad:

Yeah, an hour of riding friendship tunnels for nothing :(

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I got ripped out of witchspace while on the hunt for Thargoids while jumping between Pleiades Sector EB-X c1-17 and Merope.
Even knowing what was going to happen, it was still impressive.

I had been jumping around Merope for a while with no luck and someone had a spare UA so I got that from them and had my encounter 3 jumps after I got the UA.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, Thargoids are in? :stare:

Man, now I might have to actually play this dumb game. But I haven't touched it since before The Engineers update, so it feels like it might be too much :effort:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, Thargoids are in? :stare:

Man, now I might have to actually play this dumb game. But I haven't touched it since before The Engineers update, so it feels like it might be too much :effort:

No, they're not in. It's a cool little cutscene that plays out identically for everyone and is going to be followed up with several CGs. They're not going to be interactable (e.g. shootable) for months.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr. Crow posted:

They're not going to be interactable (e.g. shootable) for months.

*cancels install*

All I've ever wanted from this game was to shoot thargoids. :smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

and furthermore everything is awful about this game and it is terrible :frontear: *1000 hours played* *In-Game: Elite Dangerous*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

*cancels install*

All I've ever wanted from this game was to shoot thargoids. :smith:

When Thargoids finally do start shooting there are going to be so many angry posts by dead explorers who lost months of scanning data.

Despite being warned for (at this point) over a year, that hey maybe taking some defences is a good idea because aliens might shoot you.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

When Thargoids finally do start shooting there are going to be so many angry posts by dead explorers who lost months of scanning data.

Despite being warned for (at this point) over a year, that hey maybe taking some defences is a good idea because aliens might shoot you.

Galnet article soon: "Consider this your final warning"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Strategic Tea posted:

and furthermore everything is awful about this game and it is terrible :frontear: *1000 hours played* *In-Game: Elite Dangerous*

game is terrible cred verified over here

• Locked thread