Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Tanya
by Steve V, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Omega DeVille Hour Vision Orbis by Cacator, on Flickr

Omega DeVille Hour Vision Orbis by Cacator, on Flickr

Omega Co-Axial 8500 by Cacator, on Flickr

Omega Co-Axial 8500 by Cacator, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Spring is sort of here, so I have bugs again!

Ant on organge blossom

Ant on organge blossom

20160124-HA4A4161.jpg

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Mantis Portrait by Marc, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Awesome!

Also awesome!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Blueberries! Yum!
by Steve V, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I'm switching from FF Canon to m4/3 for the sake of portability, and finally got to test out the Olympus macro lens. I'd say the stabilization on the E-M5ii is very close to the 100/2.8L for hand-held living bug usage, and the shorter working distance isn't a problem. Just need to figure out a similarly small lighting setup so I can get out of the sun.

(At 1:1 I believe)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dusted off my Nikon 105.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Well this is pretty awesome: http://microsculpture.net/
https://vimeo.com/157712307

Each final image is made up of between 8,000 and 10,000 individual photos, because the depth of field of a microscope lens is so incredibly shallow. it takes about 2 weeks to shoot and process each final image.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Well this is pretty awesome: http://microsculpture.net/
https://vimeo.com/157712307

Each final image is made up of between 8,000 and 10,000 individual photos, because the depth of field of a microscope lens is so incredibly shallow. it takes about 2 weeks to shoot and process each final image.

holy mother of god that is incredible. Seeing the scale of the final print is phenomenal.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

PREYING MANTITS posted:

it takes about 2 weeks to shoot and process each final image.

Specimen preparation is actually one of the reasons I rarely do focus stacks of bugs days, because it's so difficult to get right.

The focus stack processing is reasonably straightforward if your specimen is done right. Stacking and stitching presents its own problems (mostly with parallax) if you're not using telecentric lenses or some sort of rig that lets you rotate the subject around a fixed point. I tried it a few times with my garbage equipment and it was *hard*.

e: also, content:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 29, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Leafcutter ants doing their thing

Atta texana by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

It turns out you definitely need pretty big bugs for wide-angle macro-ish attempts, considering the front element is pressed against the petals here. Hopefully I can try this setup on a big unobstructed orb weaver sometime, but they seem to have all disappeared in the last few weeks.

:3:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

^^ Both nice shots!

Lasioglossum sp. by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Vespula maculifrons by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This thread looks dead, but I photographed an undescribed species in my backyard (it's widespread and common, but nobody's published on it yet):

AF-sculpt (Myrmica "sculptilis") by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

This thread looks dead, but I photographed an undescribed species in my backyard (it's widespread and common, but nobody's published on it yet):

AF-sculpt (Myrmica "sculptilis") by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Nice ant. I haven't re-bought my macro lens yet, once I do I'll necromance it with snowflakes or something because it probably won't be until winter at least.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

First couple of weeks of spring , and I have a new toy(camera) to play with

Managed to get a couple of quick test shots with the new toy

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have info on how to expand the magnification of the Canon 100mm 2.8L? I've 70mm worth of Kenko tubes but honestly it doesn't seem like there's much of an increase. Would a DCR-250 be good? Or would all of the above combined create an unusable working distance?

For reference in using a piss poor t2i.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haven't done much macro lately, but I did get these:

Yes...?

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Anyone have info on how to expand the magnification of the Canon 100mm 2.8L? I've 70mm worth of Kenko tubes but honestly it doesn't seem like there's much of an increase. Would a DCR-250 be good? Or would all of the above combined create an unusable working distance?

For reference in using a piss poor t2i.

Tubes will get you to 2:1, pretty much the same as the DCR-250. Using both will get you close to 4:1, with a very close but usable working distance.

Not sure you'll be able to see anything through the viewfinder with that camera, though. Live view should work okay.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Just a new camera, doesn't actually help with macro though, apart from getting a few more pixels on the subject.

Baby jumper on the side of the house, taken about 2.5:1 and cropped quite a bit

Curious Spider by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Spider

Spider by Marc, on Flickr

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Love the Nikon 200mm, it's so fun to work with.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 22, 2016

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

red spider mite by Marc, on Flickr

ladybird by Marc, on Flickr

insect by Marc, on Flickr

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Ok, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Laowa 15mm f4 macro lens for my Nikon D750. However, because of the wide angle I can't really use my Nikon R1 flash system (it adds a terrible tunnel/vignette due to being mounted on the lens). Now my question is: has any of you ever used the Laowa Twin Flash KX800? And if so, is it worth it?

Also, has anyone got the manual lens setup working with the D750 and this lens? My camera doesn't pick up aperture changes. Oh well.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I have the kx800, it's great but you have to be careful not to overstress the arms, and it needs diffusion for good results. The lights are surprisingly powerful, but I suppose it's more the fact that you can position them close to the subject that makes them work so well. I use mine with a Canon 65 mpe mostly, probably similar working distance to the Laowa I'd say.

I have a jury rigged diffuser setup since the ones they provide are overpriced rubbish. I'm still looking for some cheap, lightweight ones that are of reasonable quality, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to get I'm all ears.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm interested in getting a macro lens for my Nikon d5100. Are there any good lenses on the cheaper side (<$200-300)? Alternately, are any of the cheaper solutions (lens reversing, extension tubes, etc) worthwhile?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I'm interested in getting a macro lens for my Nikon d5100. Are there any good lenses on the cheaper side (<$200-300)? Alternately, are any of the cheaper solutions (lens reversing, extension tubes, etc) worthwhile?

Both extension tubes and lens reversing work great, definitely give both a try. They're cheap and you can get excellent results while learning how to do macro (spoiler: it's hard) so you can figure out whether it's for you, and if so, you'll understand what's important in a macro lens before you buy one.

Just so you know, someone who knows how to do good macro with extension tubes/reversing rings can run circles around someone who has a macro lens and no experience. As with all photography it's much more about skill and technique than equipment.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hhhehehe

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

I guess i bought a thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

I guess i bought a thing

:awesome:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Macro shots in shallow tide pools is kinda fun.

5B4A4447 by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Brought out my macro equipment I haven't touched in ages to see how it works on new body and... holy poo poo I forgot what a gigantic pain in the rear end sensor dust is on higher magnifications.

Just a boring test picture of sunflower seeds

Having EVF is great though! I could crank MP-E 65 to 4X and work on my table in dim light while still being able to see what I was shooting.

Can't wait for spring!

E: :awesome:

ugh whatever jeez fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 22, 2017

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

ant by Marc, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
what is this, a thread for ants

oh

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I posted in SA mart looking for a used macro and someone replied suggesting a 40mm pancake and expansion tubes. I was wondering if I could do this with my nifty fifty and what am I looking for in terms of the expansion tubes?

This would be a learning experience so I'm not looking to spend $500+ on a lens at this time. I'm using a Canon T3i and depending how this takes off may upgrade to a full frame body.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. If this is better in the gear thread I can repost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Pikal posted:

I posted in SA mart looking for a used macro and someone replied suggesting a 40mm pancake and expansion tubes. I was wondering if I could do this with my nifty fifty and what am I looking for in terms of the expansion tubes?
Extension tubes usually come in set of 3 that you can combine for however much you need. Just be sure to get ones with electric contacts so you maintain aperture control with your Canon lens. So yep - get cheap set of tubes and try it out with your 50mm, it will work fine :)

Another cheap way to do macro is reverse adapter - you screw your lens to adapter by filter threads and then attach adapter to camera body. This works best with fully manual lenses where you can manually set aperture on lens.