Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
The marketing being nonexistent is probably due to fallout 4. Didn't they reveal it in September and then release it nov? Regardless of its quality, it made a shitload of money and EA execs are probably looking to do something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

marshmallow creep posted:

It's not just a simple jump forward, but it's not a hover mode either.

People are complaining about them not showing enough, but they can't even remember the little we've seen.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 6, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lurks Morington posted:

The marketing being nonexistent is probably due to fallout 4. Didn't they reveal it in September and then release it nov? Regardless of its quality, it made a shitload of money and EA execs are probably looking to do something similar

Revealed in June, IIRC. And, if I remember the reveal right, they showed off the new approach to power armor, settlement building and, I'm pretty sure, character generation and the pre-war prologue. I think they also showed the dog, too. Maybe even the vertibird? They definitely dropped the Shelter app at the same time.

Like, if that is what Bioware is trying for, they've shown nothing remotely equivalent. I'm really not a fan of Bethesda but the FO4 reveal was really quite something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - and look how poo poo the game turned out. Marketing strategy's not a concern.

Android Blues posted:

Not even three minutes, it's literally one minute twenty seconds of menu browsing and shooting drones. The rest is "ship flying through space/landing" cutscenes.

Seems scary. I still hope the game will be good, though. Maybe their marketing plan is just weird.

I'm sure they'll push more marketing after January, when the release is closer. I mean, you start marketing too soon and people forget about it.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Drifter posted:

^^^ - and look how poo poo the game turned out. Marketing strategy's not a concern.

I'm sure they'll push more marketing after January, when the release is closer. I mean, you start marketing too soon and people forget about it.

Forget about a new Mass Effect game? I doubt it. Bioware's a Good Developer, people aren't just going to ignore a new release from them. The longer people have to talk about it the more hyped they'll be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

orangelex44 posted:

Forget about a new Mass Effect game? I doubt it. Bioware's a Good Developer, people aren't just going to ignore a new release from them. The longer people have to talk about it the more hyped they'll be.

Or angry, given ME3 on release. :laugh:

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Drifter posted:

Or angry, given ME3 on release. :laugh:

I don't know. I felt the Bioware had more to prove after DA2, than I do about them failing to stick the landing at the end of ME3.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

This certainly is a post.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4, ME 2 and 3, DA2, DAI were indeed poo poo bad games

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
what RPG developer actually understands why their games are successful and follows up on that?

CDPR? Thats it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Phi230 posted:

what RPG developer actually understands why their games are successful and follows up on that?

CDPR? Thats it?

More or less and if you lower your standards a bit, maybe whatever Obsidian is doing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Official Mass Effect Facebook page spends a week hyping up the NVIDIA CES 2017 keynote, telling people to watch it so they can see Andromeda "in action".

*thirty seconds of a ship flying around*
*thirty seconds of menus*
*one minute of running around and shooting at things*

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

You're right. They probably got a pretty good return in terms of eyes on their product for just posting a series of images to facebook and twitter everyday. Maybe you have a future in marketing, kid.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Fallout 4, ME 2 and 3, DA2, DAI were indeed poo poo bad games

one of these is not the same as the others

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

yeah but Bioware and Fallout both had the same fall from grace (except beth never made good games)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phi230 posted:

CDPR? Thats it?

Bethesda pretty obviously does.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Phi230 posted:

CDPR? Thats it?

CDPR had a big advantage for TW3 because the first games were relatively low profile. So they could ditch entire systems, rework lovely mechanics, ignore most of the plot from the previous game, and basically change the entire game without people complaining that they weren't just remaking Morrowind Mass Effect The Witcher again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

You're right. They probably got a pretty good return in terms of eyes on their product for just posting a series of images to facebook and twitter everyday. Maybe you have a future in marketing, kid.

Who knew Jarrett Lee posted in this thread?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bethesda pretty obviously does.

lol dude good one

Serf
May 5, 2011

Both Bioware and Bethesda make good games. CDPR does blow them out of the water though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Phi230 posted:

lol dude good one

Fallout 3 made a shitload of money, got good reviews and was widely liked. So they followed it up with Fallout 4, which didn't change much and also made a shitload of money, got good reviews, and was widely liked. Same with the various Elder Scrolls games. I think it's pretty safe to say they know why their games are successful, because they keep making successful games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Moola posted:

yeah fallout 4 was pretty decent

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fallout 3 made a shitload of money, got good reviews and was widely liked. So they followed it up with Fallout 4, which didn't change much and also made a shitload of money, got good reviews, and was widely liked. Same with the various Elder Scrolls games. I think it's pretty safe to say they know why their games are successful, because they keep making successful games.

FO3 is poo poo, FO4 is poo poo and people woke up to how poo poo Skyrim and FO4 are after Witcher 3 came out.

Like its not a big leap to understand that the market for RPGs is starved and literally a piece of poo poo in a box would make a ton of money if sold to RPG fans.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phi230 posted:

people woke up to how poo poo Skyrim and FO4 are after Witcher 3 came out

:lol:

People who play Skyrim and Fallout 4 are pretty much playing them for everything they do that Witcher 3 doesn't, and don't give a gently caress about anything else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Phi230 posted:

FO3 is poo poo, FO4 is poo poo and people woke up to how poo poo Skyrim and FO4 are after Witcher 3 came out.
"Which companies are successful? Obviously the ones I don't like don't count"

quote:

Like its not a big leap to understand that the market for RPGs is starved and literally a piece of poo poo in a box would make a ton of money if sold to RPG fans.
DA2's sales were down on DA:O because of how poo poo it was, causing Bioware to cancel the expac and rethink how they were doing the sequel.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Skyrim and Witcher 3 aren't even the same type of game. Picking a direction and exploring random dungeons in Skyrim blows TW3 out of the loving water and that's why people play Skyrim, but TW3 does everything else better.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hampig posted:

Skyrim and Witcher 3 aren't even the same type of game. Picking a direction and exploring random dungeons in Skyrim blows TW3 out of the loving water and that's why people play Skyrim, but TW3 does everything else better.

yeah dude I love fighting the same enemies in the same caves for no rhyme or reason

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
LOL beth put a blind guy with a blank book!

depth! look guys! depth!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They just said what the release date was. They probably were avoiding too much promotion in case they had to push it back.

People are just getting back to work from the holidays and the game has over 2 months before release. There is plenty of time to put out more information. Might also be that they agreed to give other people "exclusive first looks" or something so had to get those out of the way.

And yeah, people are already making up complaints that were shown in the one longer gamplay demo they did show.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My character's blank emotionless face twitched once, best RPG ever made. SO much emotion I cried IRL

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Phi230 posted:

My character's blank emotionless face twitched once, best RPG ever made. SO much emotion I cried IRL

The Witcher 2 was pretty underwhelming, I agree.

frajaq posted:

I don't understand why people still get worked up so much about Bioware/Bethesda these days, it's not like there's a lack of alternatives if you want good RPGs with depth and complexity lately

There are a lot of legitimate complaints to be made about them as developers. None of those points are being made in this thread.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 6, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I don't understand why people still get worked up so much about Bioware/Bethesda these days, it's not like there's a lack of alternatives if you want good RPGs with depth and complexity lately

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Because their games get increasingly worse in frustrating ways and I have nothing better to do

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

frajaq posted:

It's easier to be snarky on the internet than it is to play good games. Case in point, this post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

I've been pretty happy with the offerings of Bethesda and Bioware but also I thought Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 were great.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

Trolling the people who like Bioware/Bethesda games, probably

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Serf posted:

I've been pretty happy with the offerings of Bethesda and Bioware but also I thought Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 were great.

Agreed, I have 100+ hours in both Fallout 4 and Pillars of Eternity as my most played games last year, they both have their ups and downs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

Trolling the people who like Bioware/Bethesda games, probably

but we have already trolled ourselves by definition

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

People are complaining about them not showing enough, but they can't even remember the little we've seen.

I'm still astonished how boring that shot is.

It's a jetpack assisted charge, pretty much the Vanguard dream, and yet... no impact. It could be the fact it's an early build (hopefully) but none of the shots of charge so far have had any weight to them.

Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still astonished how boring that shot is.

It's a jetpack assisted charge, pretty much the Vanguard dream, and yet... no impact. It could be the fact it's an early build (hopefully) but none of the shots of charge so far have had any weight to them.

Odd.

All the fancy effects are super low quality so consoles can run it.